Start by marking “Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)

Murder at the Vicarage

(Miss Marple #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  139,462 ratings  ·  3,992 reviews
‘Anyone who murdered Colonel Protheroe,’ declared the parson, brandishing a carving knife above a joint of roast beef, ‘would be doing the world at large a favour!’ It was a careless remark for a man of the cloth. And one which was to come back and haunt the clergyman just a few hours later – when the colonel was found shot dead in the clergyman’s study. But as Miss Marple ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published October 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the Vicarage, please sign up.
Laurie Beth Your library! They have regular books, audio books and kindle books available. I do almost all my reading through the library. With digital books thes…moreYour library! They have regular books, audio books and kindle books available. I do almost all my reading through the library. With digital books these days, you don't even have to go to the library in person (except to get your library card/account set up). It's a fantastic resource.(less)

·  139,462 ratings  ·  3,992 reviews

Start your review of Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
Brina
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dame Agatha Christie is the queen of mystery writers who all modern aspirants strive to emulate. I enjoy reading her cases featuring detective Hercule Poirot because he knows the outcome well before the reader. Christie's cases are multilayered and keep unraveling until a book's conclusion. Enjoying these thought provoking cases, I decided to introduce myself to her other famous sleuth, Miss Jane Marple. There is no better place to start than Murder at the Vicarage, the book that introduced Miss ...more
Dita
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a big, huge honkin' snoozefest compared to my boyfriend, Poirot.

Miss Marple, your next one better be good or I'm sticking with my trusty side piece, Hercule.
James
A solid 4.5 stars for Murder at the Vicarage, the first novel in the Miss Marple cozy mystery series, written by Agatha Christie in 1930. I've read ~ten novels by Christie and this one is near the top of the list for me. From the characters to the setting and the plot to the tone, it's an intriguing and immersive read. It started out a bit slow for me as the scene was being set, but once the murder happened, it took off in quick force. I can happily say that I had 2 potential guesses as the culp ...more
Anne
Miss Marple's 1st book!

description

But beyond that, this is really just a fabulous example of Agatha Christie at her best.
This was my first time reading (actually listening) The Murder at the Vicarage and I was blown away by how enjoyable it was. Especially considering I've read a ton of her books and pretty much knew what to expect out of her mysteries.

description

I knew I didn't know who did it, but I swear I thought I knew who didn't do it!
I was (as always) dead wrong.

So the gist is that the town Vicar gets caught u
Jason Koivu
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Murder most proper.

Agatha Christie's Murder at the Vicarage was my first Miss Marple. Now that I've had her I can say with the experience of knowledge, she ain't half bad! Still, I'm not sure I'd want to be caught by my more macho, football playing friends reading a tea cozy mystery. The characters are dapper dandies and old teetotaler biddies. The high manners and speech abound, aside from that of the occasional parlor maid, flatfoot, or old age pensioner. Beyond primal embarrassment, this sor
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Murder At The Vicarage (Miss Marple #1), Agatha Christie

Original Publication Year 1930

Abstract: Debut of Miss Jane Marple, village busybody who applies human nature to crimes. Colonel Protheroe, magistrate universally despised, was shot in his study, unheard. His wife Anne admits newly arrived artist Lawrence Redding is an old flame, and both confess to murder. The local inspector and Jane sort through to the truth.

Characters: Miss Jane Marple, Inspector Slack, Lawrence Redding, Len Clement,
PorshaJo
Fiddledesticks! How could you not enjoy a book where the word fiddledesticks is used. I'm a fan of Agatha Christie. I read her a lot when I was much, much younger. But I don't remember most of the books I read. So every now and then I plan to pick up one of her books and indulge. And what a better place to start that the first in the Miss Marple series.

Murder at the Vicarage tells the story of well, a murder in the vicarage. St Mary Mead is a sleep town where not much happens. However, the ladie
Susan
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This first Miss Marple mystery is deceptively gentle, with much of the story narrated by the mild mannered vicar. When he returns to the vicarage to find the body of Colonel Protheroe shot in his study, the vicar becomes involved in the murder investigation, aided by his neighbour Miss Marple. There is a wonderful list of suspects, motives and false trails along the way, until Jane Marple untangles the threads and makes everything clear.

Not only is this a masterfully plotted story, but it introd
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I pondered (and pondered!) my rating but have decided to go enjoyment and how good this was for the first in a series - The Divine Christie had me completely fooled!

There are faults - too many characters (some very similar) and the characterisation of Miss M is very uneven - she is a right old bat at the start, but by the halfway point she is the amateur sleuth I love. The trademark fluffiness hides great powers of observation and deduction.

Like The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4) by Agatha Christie there is a lot more humour in this novel than
Fabian {Councillor}
Who doesn't know the famous Miss Marple and her investigation talents? When it comes to well-known detectives in classic literature, along with Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot she will belong to those who are mentioned first. I can almost imagine the gossipy, annoying and very inquisitive lady snooping around the village, and it's easy to understand why a smart character like her earned such a recognition beneath crime and mystery novels. "Murder at the Vicarage" is called the first book in t ...more
Adrian
What a marvellous book, I had forgotten how enjoyable it is to read Agatha Christie's books. I read this many years ago but only remembered the Joan Hickson TV adaptation, and even then I didn't guess who did it prior to the denouement. Every time Miss Marple is mentioned I just see Joan Hickson (not Geraldine McEwan, nor Angela Lansbury, nor Margaret Rutherford, nor Julia McKenzie), always Joan Hickson, I can see her hesitating and saying "oh well" in a self deprecating manner as she does in th ...more
Bill Kerwin
Jun 15, 2007 rated it it was ok

The first Miss Marple mystery. The usual red herrings and mechanical Christie plot. This early Miss Marple is more acerbic and less endearing.
Ms. Smartarse
All appearances point to St. Mary Mead being the usual English small town. It has its share of colorful inhabitants, but for the most part it's a rather peaceful place.

There's the vicar, who, as the local sounding board, can indulge his newly discovered amateur sleuthing hobby. He is frequently accosted by several of the old cats, as the local busybodies are lovingly dubbed by the younger generation. And of course, we cannot forget Colonel Protheroe: most respected magistrate, as well as most d
Erth
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder at the Vicarage is the first Miss Marple book to be written and published. Within the sleepy small village of St Mary Mead murder arrives when Colonel Protheroe, a much disliked prominent member of society is found dead in the study of Vicar, Reverend Clement’s study. Told through a first person narrative of Rev Clement, we observe and bumble along with the vicar the progress of the investigation to discovery of the murderer(s) through the deductions of Miss Marple.

A slow but delightful s
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Turned out that this was a re-read. Like with many of Agatha's books, as I read tons of them a few years back and can't remember which ones I did read.

Also, for such a short book it took me ages to read it. Mostly, because I was very busy.
But also because I was so bored.

It seems that last time I read it, I've enjoyed it more. But this time around there was just too much "going around the bush" and "useless plot twists" for my liking.

I still enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoy some of her
Rachel
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet again Christie manages to craft a mystery so intricate it’s all you can do to keep up, never mind get ahead of her. 4 stars instead of 5 as it took me ages to get invested in these characters for whatever reason, and because I got tired of Clement remarking upon how clever Miss Marple is (we get it). But the resolution was fantastic and I thought the humor in this one in particular was great.
Steven Walle
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very well written book. It kept me in suspence. Agatha rarely disappoints.
Enjoy and Be Blessed
Carmen
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Agatha Christie could have called this book a comedy as easily as she called it a mystery. She is so funny! This book had me chuckling from beginning to end.

Our protagonist, the Vicar, is married to a woman half his age and is always a little suspicious that she may be looking at other men. He's the long-suffering clergyman of the town - all the little old ladies come to him with their troubles and gossip - including the incredibly sharp Jane Marple.

Nothing even happens in the sleepy little town
Apoorva
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery. I loved the humor in the book and all the characters. Miss Marple is a sweetheart!😊
Simona Bartolotta
“My dear young man, you underestimate the detective instinct of village life. In St. Mary Mead every one knows your most intimate affairs. There is no detective in England equal to a spinster lady of uncertain age with plenty of time on her hands.”

It's no mystery that I am no aficionado of Miss Marple's, but with Murder at the Vicarage, her very first adventure, I found myself gradually warming toward her in a way I didn't expect. This happened, I believe, because in this novel Miss Marple is no
Piyangie
It was difficult to rate this book. I wanted to do more justice to Agatha Christie and her brilliant mind, but my conscious nags at me; it tells me that in honesty I was not drawn in to the story as I normally do when I read her novels. So here I'm divided and trying to justice to her and me both.

It was a good plot although not a novel one. The setting is a small village in England where life is slow and stagnant. In such a small village, it is not surprising that everybody knows everybody's bu
Duane
This was Christie's 10th novel overall but the first to introduce the character of Miss Marple. She was a secondary character to the Vicar, and rightly so because the murder occurred in his study, but she ultimately does solve the mystery of "who done it". An entertaining and fun read but not considered one of her better novels.
Rachel Hall
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is thanks to my Goodreads friend, Roman Clodia, that I am belatedly coming to read Agatha Christie and what an utter joy she is! The debut appearance of Miss Marple in 1930 is a plotting masterpiece and full of wit and tongue-in-cheek observations which prove a delight for readers. More interesting still is the proliferation of suspects and with all and sundry in the sleepy village of St Mary Mead having expressed their antipathy to the deceased churchwarden, Colonel Lucius Protheroe, often v ...more
Dannii Elle
Fooled again! Thank you, Christie, for always delivering!
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The 1st book in the Miss Marple series by Agatha Christie.
A great quick read with lots of twists and turns keeping you guessing until the very end.
Bark
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
I'm giving it a 3 because I didn't hate it and I didn't love it and because I can.

I’ve never read an Agatha Christie novel.

There, it has been said.

I received this audio free from the SYNC summer reading program last year. Apparently it’s the first book in a series. Yay SYNC. I usually pick up series books mid-series and only manage to aggravate myself and anyone unfortunate enough to be reading my reviews.

In the beginning, I very much enjoyed it despite the male narrator and his often grating/c
Cherie
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
My admiration for Agatha Christie grows with each new book I read. I loved this interesting mystery and my introduction to the one and only, Miss Marple. I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek humor and language from another time and place, with so many new words and phrases to look up. The investigation for the murderer progressed rather slowly, but I was constantly marking pages to keep new facts in mind. I liked the Vicar and his family and hope to meet them again someday.
Janete
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I learned many news English words with this adapted book from Agatha Christie that I read and listened to the audio many times in 2017. It's easier than the original one.
Judy
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I've never read much Agatha Christie, even though I love many of her contemporaries. I'm now putting that right by reading the Miss Marple mysteries with the Reading the Detectives group at Goodreads, starting off with this first in the series.

As someone who tends to love first-person narration, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this story is told by the vicar of St Mary Mead, who is an appealing character and would probably have made a good series detective himself. Miss M
David Schaafsma
"‘Anyone who murdered Colonel Protheroe,’ declared the parson, brandishing a carving knife above a joint of roast beef, ‘would be doing the world at large a favour!’"--the Vicar Himself

I read all of Agatha Christie's Hercules Poirot books, but never read any of her Miss Marple stories. Is this a sexist move? Not sure. I did watch some of the BBC TV series with my Mom and sister, but I was probably reading mostly existentialist literature at the time, or something. So one thing I know about Poir

• The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1)
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
  • Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks
  • Death Comes to Pemberley
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Absent in the Spring
  • Rebecca
  • Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • The Burden
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey, #3)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)

Articles featuring this book

Have you ever thought your smart devices are spying on you? This is a thoroughly modern fear that Ruth Ware’s new book, The Turn of the Key , pl...
“The young people think the old people are fools -- but the old people know the young people are fools.” 368 likes
“I often wonder why the whole world is so prone to generalise. Generalisations are seldom if ever true and are usually utterly inaccurate.” 110 likes