Start by marking “Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)” as Want to Read:
Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)

Genghis: Lords of the Bow

(Conqueror #2)

Genghis unites Mongol tribes to cross the Gobi Desert and fight the Chin - gleaming cities, soaring walls, and canals. Laying siege to one fortress after another, Genghis cunningly crushes each enemy differently, overcoming moats, barriers, deceptions, and superior firepower—until his army calls the Emperor in Yenking to kneel.
Published March 25th 2008 by Delacorte Press (first published January 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Genghis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genghis

Start your review of Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)
Dana Ilie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dana by: Simona Vlad
Shelves: history
This was a gripping page-turner. The author paints a credible picture of Genghis Khan's temperament and psychological tendencies in his decision-making processes and in his dealings with his family, his tribesmen and his enemies.

The story is about how Genghis Khan, having united all the various Mongol tribes, led his army to invade the Xi Xia Kingdom (of Tanguts) and then the Chin (Jin) Empire (of Jurchens). It tells how he developed and improved his assault tactics.

Historical information about
Petrik
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
A compelling, brutal, informational, and terrifying depiction of Genghis’ conquest of Yenking.

“Some words can be a cruel weight on a man, unless he learns to ignore them.”

Genghis: Lords of the Bow is the sequel to Genghis: Birth of an Empire; it’s the second book in the Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden. The story takes place approximately eight years after the end of the first book. Temujin, now called Genghis Khan, is 26 years old and the entirety of the book is about Genghis and
Stephen
Photobucket

Oh really? Well, if the above adage is an accurate sentiment, than I think it's equitable to concede that Genghis Khan, ruler of the mightily manly Mongols, vanquisher and subjugator of a quarter of the known world, was...to state it bluntly...the...MAN...
Photobucket

Your enemies don't come more dripping with macho-awesomeness than that!!

This second installment of Iggulden’s Conqueror trilogy begins several years following the events of Genghis: Birth of an Empire. In the first book, we followed Ge
Mizuki
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My review for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
My review for the third book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Thanks to the editor of the Chinese translated version of this book and all those footnotes in the text, here we can get some Mogul Empire History 101:

(1) Genghis Khan had tons of wives, not just two wives.

(2) the Chi Empire (in other translation: the Jin Empire) and the Xi Xia Empire/Tangut Empire did not share the same ancestor.

(3) there is a 'Buddhist mo
Zitong Ren
Lords of the Bow is the second book in Conn Iggulden’s Conqueror series, where it continues from the first book, Wolf of the Plains and it tells the tale of Genghis Khan, where upon the end of this book, Yenking, or Beijing as it is known today, surrenders to the Mongols. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and, as the history buff that I am, wish that more historical fiction was written in earlier time frames.

What do I mean by this, well, nowadays, I find that a great portion of historical fiction
Peter
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leader
Genghis Khan continues to sweep all before him showing a vision for an empire that will stand long after he has gone. The strategy of the Mongol army is fascinating when and how to outsmart their enemy is as much the achievement as the battle itself. The discipline of military planning and execution, the weapons and machines for battle, and the network of scouts and the infrastructure around the armies is absolutely amazing for its time. What a wonderful insight brought to life in an exc
Alice Poon

Historical information about
Dan Schwent
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Genghis Khan continues uniting the Mongol tribes and takes them across the Gobi Desert into the lands of the Chin. The Khan's forces sack village after village, until setting their sights on Yenking. Can even the vast horde break an impregnable fortress-city?

Lords of the Bow picks up a couple years after Birth of an Empire left off. While the story wasn't as gripping as Birth of an Empire, it was still good. The most interesting aspects were the ways Genghis inspired confidence in his men. It wo
Scott  Hitchcock
Another great volume in this saga. The idea of the Mongols rising up and bringing a city the size of Yanking (later Peking and Beijing) is pretty amazing. The author does a great job bringing the characters to life in a believable fashion.
Mark Harrison
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent second part of the Mongol story. Genghis now takes the united tribes to fight against the Chin. Quite brilliant battle sequences, subtle espionage in the Chin cities, politics, betrayal, love, death, decapitation, mayhem, chaos and more decapitation. Moves at great pace and, whilst there have been some historical liberties, it is a great read.
David Sven
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books starts off with Genghis completing his subjugation of the Mongol tribes under his banner before marching on his hated enemies, the Chin, and we end at the walls of Yanjing (Beijing)

There are a lot of large set piece battles this book, but most notable was the battle of Badger Mouth where the Mongols bypassed the choke point by climbing what the Chin thought were impassable peaks - especially in winter.

I think I liked Genghis coming of age story in the first book better because we got
Ken Hammond
Lords of the Bow, Conn Iggulden has breathed life into history books, the stratagems and tactics weapons effectiveness the political intrigues and the spy networks, the failures of battle plans and of course the victories, there's a slew of characters from fairly honorable indepth types to cannon fodder with scant mentions. The Mongols regarded a straight fight unhonourable but victories won by deception and cunning plans as the only worthy type of battle. They weren't fools and regarded large l ...more
Tim The Enchanter
An Entertaining and Bloody 4 Stars

If you don't know any of the history (and likely some mythology) surrounding the infamous Genghis Khan, I suggest you pick up these books and start reading now. While I was aware of the story of his childhood and his early years, I knew very little of his exploits as a war chieftain. While I was aware that he was successful in bringing together disparate Mongolian tribes I was unaware of the sheer ferociousness and determination of these warriors.

This volume
Tosh
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Gotta say, I was disappointed in the author’s depiction of Genghis Khan in this second installment. Such a powerful historical figure should have jumped off the pages, and yet what little time is spent in his point of view is pretty dull. The first book did an excellent job of creating an interesting, if none too accurate, picture of his early life, and the struggles that grew him into the man he eventually would become. Somewhere along the way though the author missed an opportunity to give thi ...more
Paul A.
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Genghis Lords of the Bow is a fast, entertaining read. Writing a book like this must be tough. Balancing Genghis the barbarian and Genghis the family man is difficult. Iggulden does a good job of putting a human face on Genghis and the Mongols, although I think he may have gone a bit too far. These were ruthless men who devastated entire populations and cultures. They killed tens of millions in China alone, and his progeny did just as much damage when they rode their ponies west.

I did not read
Hannah
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, x
This was better than the first one! Im actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it considering the first one didn't blow me away. Khan is shown as turning into the dominating alpha male he must have been, I usually don't like that kind of character but his psychology was interesting to watch unfold. I liked that we saw him through the eyes of other characters. The battle scenes were well written but I wasn't very attached to the characters so it loses a star for that.
KB
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely did not enjoy this book as much as the previous one. I really loved the first part of Wolf of the Plains, but I found myself less drawn-in by the second part. Lords of the Bow feels more like a continuation of that second part.

I think what I loved so much, initially, about the series was the relationships between the characters. There were no battles, the number of main characters was limited, and you got to see Iggulden's skill of writing this handful of people and how they connect

Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Iggulden’s Mongol historical saga continued. I’m partly disappointed by this second novel in the trilogy. It does features Genghis Kan and describes the recently unified tribes’ advance south, beyond the Gobi desert and into Chin lands, their epic battles (e.g. at Badger’s Mouth pass), the long siege of Yenking (today Beijing) and the capitulation of the child emperor. However the author spend too much time on other characters, i.e. Genghis’ brothers and sons, than on the fascinating Mongol lead ...more
Alex
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Conn Iggulden's masterful writing skills make this book a joy to read. The author maintains as much of the historical fidelity as possible and fills in the gaps where needed. If the first book of the series covered Genghis' troubled youth, in Lords of the Bow we see a full grown leader on a warpath. Although the scenes described are often extremely violent they only attempt to give us an idea of life and death in the 13th century and they help build the image of Genghis Khan.

Donna
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book almost as much as the first one in this series. I'm not quite sure what it is about these books that I like so much, but there is something about them that grabs me and pulls me in. I knew shortly after starting it, that I would not be doing page math.

Even though this is still fiction, it feels like a glimpse into the way of life for his people. They are always portrayed as the "villain", so getting this perspective is an interesting concept. I can't wait to read the next on
Nate
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-ages
This was my second experience with this book. The first time through put a markedly bad taste in my mouth after about a hundred and fifty pages and I gave up. I gave it a second shot recently solely because I remember liking the first book a lot and I spent like fifteen bucks on this shit. Thankfully I really liked it this time! I just had to get past the idea of hanging onto even the slightest shred of 21st century Western ideas like, oh..."killing people that are different from you is a bad th ...more
Bruno
The second book in the series is a great follow up to the amazing ,,Birth of an Empire''. In this title, Temujin, now calling himself Genghis-khan (the supreme khan or khan of khans) is pushing his greatest campaign against the old Chin dynasty, as he traverses through difficult terrain, weather, fortified walls and well equipped, organised and numerous armies. Under those circumstances, he must prove to everyone that he's worthy of his grand name. What I love about this book is it's detailed de ...more
Rachel
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Of all the authors I've read, I say Conn Iggulden holds the place as having the best writing style. He has nearly mastered the art of writing because he knows what to write and how to write it. (One can never master language. There's always another angle to set this complex gift of God.)
Writing is sometimes like cooking, and he knows just how much of each ingredient he should add.
The story is not weighed down with description, yet the writing is not dull. His characters are realistic and the h
Tariq Mahmood
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insight into the mindset of the world's greatest conquerer in written history. The tribes are united under the great Khan and have moved to test their mentor against the Chin. It's raw and ruthless steppe skills pitted against the well orchestrated and structured city powers. Tough soldiers against sedate armies could only have one result. Conn has managed to present this phenomenal era of history in a very captivating manner indeed. I really enjoyed the depiction.

It does seem that
Tanja Berg
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4* out of 5. This was really good, although it did not quite live up to the first book. Part of the reason for this is that Genghis Khan takes on a bit of super human quality and does not feel as real in this installment. Nonetheless, this is a very solid historical semi-fiction and superbly readable.
Rishi Prakash
I had started the year with the first book of the series which was great so the expectation and excitement for the sequel was accordingly there! Perhaps it raised the bar high and the author couldn't match it a second time...

This second book in the series is kind of few steps down. There is still action, excitement and lots of conquering and it still has THE Genghis Khan, after all. We see the Mongols destroying their enemies and then looking at their enemies cities and just being awestruck by i
Bennett
DNF

I’m typically not a fan of books with heavy battle scenes. The first book, which focused on Genghis’ childhood, was a great mix of story and action. Unfortunately, Lords of the Bow was not for me.
Aaron Bright
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asia-studies, conn
Fantastic...the narrative on the Battle of Badger's Mouth Pass was insane! Armies just aren't built that way anymore and the level of mental and physical stamina, not to mention absolute loyalty, is something that just doesn't exist in any part of the western world I know. Ready for #3.
Liz C
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good second book continuing the story of Genghis and his brothers. It's fast paced and you really can't stop reading. Devoured it over two nights. I'm having a break before reading the next one.
Page count is wrong. 1 30 Sep 01, 2012 09:37AM

• Vagabond (The Grail Quest, #2)
  • Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1)
  • Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3)
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
  • Attila (Attila Trilogy, #1)
  • Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)
  • Excalibur (The Warlord Chronicles, #3)
  • 1356 (The Grail Quest, #4)
  • The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • Agincourt
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, #2)
  • Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
  • The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles #1)
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
Also publishes under author name C.F. Iggulden.

I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in Lo

Conqueror (5 books)
  • Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1)
  • Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)
  • Khan: Empire of Silver (Conqueror, #4)
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)