Start by marking “Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence #2)” as Want to Read:
Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence #2)

Partners in Crime

(Tommy & Tuppence Mysteries #2)

Tommy and Tuppence Beresford were restless for adventure, so when they were asked to take over Blunt's International Detective Agency, they leapt at the chance. After their triumphant recovery of a pink pearl, intriguing cases kept on coming their way: a stabbing on Sunningdale golf course; cryptic messages in the personal columns of newspapers; and even a box of poisoned ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 7th 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Partners in Crime, please sign up.
Lyn Jensen Some versions describe this as "Tommy and Tuppence, Book 2" but I'm not sure if it's a series of novels or a series of short stories. I was told it's …moreSome versions describe this as "Tommy and Tuppence, Book 2" but I'm not sure if it's a series of novels or a series of short stories. I was told it's a series of short stories, and if it is, then I don't see why you'd have to start with the first book. It might help, though.(less)
Anne Simms Probably not - it's a very light story - may be better to do one of the longer ones like 'And then there were none'.

Start your review of Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence #2)
Shannon
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This may be an unpopular opinion, but Tommy and Tuppence Beresford are my favorite of Agatha Christie's detectives. Poirot is brilliant and much appreciated, but Tommy and Tuppence are charmingly brilliant and absolutely hilarious. I love these short stories, in which the Beresfords take over a detective agency and solve a series of crimes of varying severity. Throughout, they refer to their "shelf of masters", adapting the mannerisms and techniques of various literary detectives, to hilarious e ...more
Vikas Singh
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-book
The Second of Tommy and Tuppence series it is a collection of 15 of their adventures, many styled after leading fictional detectives of the era including Sherlock Holmes. In one of the stories there is a delightful take on Hercule Poirot too. Not strictly in the same crime and mystery genre as Chritie's other stories, the stories here are light and fun
Simona B
A collection of short stories mimicking famous literary detectives (even though some of them are practically unknown today), even Sherlock Holmes and Christie's own Hercule Poirot. Some of the stories are really fun, others utterly unremarkable. All in all, a pleasant read.
Veronique
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5*

“It is a great advantage to be intelligent and not to look it.”

Short stories, where you can’t really get your teeth in the story, always feel a little ‘lesser’ to me than novels. Having said this, these proved to be fun and light. The prefect thing when you want something easy and entertaining.

Tommy and Tuppence throw themselves back in the midst of action by accepting to take over a detective agency, each episode representing a case, although there is a running thread through the whole of
Nandakishore Varma
I have been rereading some of the old books of Dame Agatha as a sort of breather from more serious literature: this book is one of them. If I remember correctly, I read this sometime in the early eighties, three decades and a half ago.

I remember not liking it much at that time: and the reread did not change my opinion. Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, IMO, are Agatha Christie's weakest detectives even though they are an endearing couple.

The premise of this collection of short stories is really ni
Lotte
Loved all of Tommy and Tuppence's banter and the cleverly placed references to other famous sleuths of the 'Golden age of crime'. Some mysteries were definitely better than others, but overall this collection was just a lot of fun to read!
Cristina
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think I’m addicted to Agatha Christie’s books!
I love her writing style. And I love the mystery in all her cases. I decided that I’m going to buy all her books. No matter how many did she write, I want them all! 😍
Piyangie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: classic-mystery
Tommy and Tuppence are an interesting detective duo. Not serious as Poirot and perhaps not as brilliant like him, but the duo keep the reader's interest in their detective adventures.

Partners in Crime is a collection of their detective adventures. These are light and fun; perhaps not so well executed as the mysteries in the Poirot series, but engaging enough in their own right.

It was interesting to note that there were certain references made to other fictitious detectives including Sherlock H
Anna
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: T&T series, my books
I love Tommy and Tuppence -- they're my favorite Christie characters!
They are so fun with their banter and companionship -- it really is a partnership and marriage of equals. In fact, they are told by Mr Carter "Excessive self-confidence was always a characteristic of you two. Whether your immunity is entirely due to your own superhuman cleverness, or whether a small percentage of luck creeps in. I'm not prepared to say."
In this collection, the base story is their longing for adventure. This wi
John
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
A collection of short stories within a story. Tommy and Tuppence impersonate Mr Blunt who runs an international detective agency which is a front for Russian spies. The two detectives undertake a series of investigations which parodies the styles of well-known detective writers of that era.

A Fairy in the Flat/A Pot of Tea introduces Tommy and Tuppence at the International Detective Agency. There first case is an amusing one about a missing girl which Tuppence solves.

The Affair of the Pink Pear
Jv
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ratings - 4/5
aliceinbagend
Took me two months to read! Then again, it is a bunch of short stories.
Super cute and fun.
Dhuaine
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
The best Tommy and Tuppence I've read. It's a collection of short stories - maybe that's why. The characters get to shine without bogging down the whole thing with their antics. T&T are my least favorite Christie characters by far, I really didn't expect to like this book. It also helped that the stories were centered more on simpler, cosier mystery, not espionage. ...more
Anuradha
I was digging out things from my shelves because I have been packing, and I have been finding these massive hardcover Agatha Christie novels that my mother bought when she was younger. And while they aren't the best, I haven't been able to stop reading these. Cosy, English mysteries are apparently really my kind of books.
Vavita
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
ok. I am just not the person for short stories
Bookworm
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Capital! Tommy and Tuppence mystery's are one in a million, and practically the only ones that can leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
In this one, the undaunted couple take on running a detective agency, under assumed names, to ensnare a few dangerous spies for Scotland Yard. In among that though, they also solve several murders, and assorted and alternately humorous mysteries!
Dan
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Tommy and Tuppence I find their stories entertaining and fun to read and these short stories are no different to the full books.

Witty (and yes dated but it was written in 1929) and a hark back to books that romped through adventure after adventure.

A cracking read, a full 4 star book.
Esdaile
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
There are those who have a talent for the complete novel and those who have a talent for the short story and it is unusual that someone is very skilled at both. Agatha Christie's skill undoubtedly lies with the longer tale, where she can give her ingenuinity time to ripen and unfold and where the length of the narrative is such that the unlikelihood, the sheer weight of implausibility, is obscured in the telling. In "Partners in Crime", the unlikelihood, in fact the absurdity, of the stories com ...more
Nikita (Njkinny's Blog)
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a taste for some good mystery and "fall-in-love" type characters.. :)
"So Tommy and Tuppence were married", she chanted, "and lived happily ever afterwards. And six years later they were still living together happily ever afterwards..."

Tommy and Tuppence, who were first introduced in the book "The Secret Adversary",are now happily married but Tuppence is restless and bored. She craves for some adventure.

"I wish.. something would happen"

As if her wish is granted, they are visited by Mr. Carter who works for some unnamed secret government agency and is their old fri
Bev
"...you have no expert knowledge whatever."

"Well, I have read every detective novel that has been published in the last ten years."

~Tommy Beresford; Tuppence Beresford

When Mr. Carter (The Chief from their debut in The Secret Adversary) suggests that Tommy & Tuppence Beresford take over a detective agency that has been receiving odd Russian-stamped letters in an effort to track down those behind some international mischief, he also opens the way for the Beresfords to put the skills of fictional d
Abbey
1929, #2 Tommy & Tuppence Beresford, Blunt's Detective Agency, London
Fifteen linked short stories, each originally published in magazines (1923-1928), and slightly rewritten to make the novel feel a bit tighter. Unfortunately, Christie was unsuccessful in that regard - it still feels like a bunch of short stories cobbled together. Not bad writing per se., but this is certainly not one of Christie's strongest books.

Tommy and Tuppence are running a detective agency under the benevolent eye of Mr.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)

The Two Ts are almost "bright young things", except that neither of them has a bean, according to Tuppence. I guess beans are relative, as she has enough money to buy forty hats she doesn't wear, according to her husband, and get her clothes made at rather nice establishments as well as rubbing shoulders with the titled and "amusing" in all the best night spots. We're not told what Tommy was doing to earn the daily crust before the action starts, so it's just possible they were living on "privat
Ryan
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tommy and Tuppence have always reminded me of Nick and Nora Charles of The Thin Man movie series, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Both couples have a wit and style that I find admirable and have a relationship that I am envious of. Now, Tommy and Tuppence are a little bit more restrained in their manner however which leads to a couple that I enjoy just as much as Nick and Nora but for different reasons. They play off each other brilliantly and make up for what the other lacks in such ...more
Francis
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I do not normally like short story collections by mystery writers. They seem to inevitably rely on a sudden twist ending and that is difficult thing to accomplish repeatedly in a collection of short stories while holding the readers interest or creating any real surprises.

I do not normally get excited about Agatha Christie. I mean I fell in love with, "And Then There Were None", when I was young, but I have repeatedly read Christie since looking for that same magic and i have only become increa
Ken
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun collection of 15 short stories originally published in The Sketch magazine during the 1920’s sees young Sleuth’s Tommy and Tuppence attempt to solve various mysteries mainly by mimicking other fictional detectives of the time.
Raghda Elwakil
In each chapter in this novel..
Tommy and Tobins hero of the novel was live in a new adventure in "International Bureau of Investigation".. ^^

Awesome novel.. ❤️‍
This is a cute collection of short stories tied loosely together by an spy arc. They also all feature Tommy and Tuppence solving their mysteries by employing the methods of various fictional detectives, including Christie's own Hercule Poirot.

I enjoy Tommy and Tuppence as a couple and detectives, and I liked the "imitating fictional detectives" aspect of the stories, but none of the stories, save the last one really grabbed me. They were all enjoyable reads, though.
Elisha
2.5 stars.

I'm sliiiiiightly bitter about this book because I went into it expecting that it would make a great Christmas Christie, just as its predecessor The Secret Adversary was for me last Christmas, and as BBC Agatha Christie adaptations are every year. I was expecting humour from Tommy and Tuppence and a good dose of shock from the mysteries, and I hoped to see as much variety and mastery in this 'short story collection' as I found in The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories earlie
Ibis3
A fun series of vignettes as Tommy and Tuppence return to the pages of Agatha Christie. Posing as private detectives (well, actually *a* private detective and his secretary--natch for the 1920s) in order to break up a Russian spy ring, T&T spend their time solving real cases. They make a game out of it by taking on the personas and methods of various fictional detectives, including Sherlock Holmes, Father Brown, and even Hercule Poirot. The puzzles are light and quick though pretty unspectacular ...more
Peter
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
"This was fun and fast. Agatha Christie's husband and wife sleuth team, Tommy and Tuppance, is back solving crimes in the late 1920s. Now married six years, Tommy is assigned by the secret service to head a detective agency, with Tuppance's help, that is a known contact of a spy ring. While there, they take a dozen or so cases showing off their skills and having madcap mysterious adventures along the way.

The novel was reminiscent of ""The Big Four"", where an overarching frame allows a variety o
Agatha Christie L...: July 2018 - Partners in Crime 5 36 Jul 27, 2018 02:11PM
Agatha Christie L...: This topic has been closed to new comments. CLOSED July 2011 BOM Partners in Crime 15 80 May 05, 2017 12:02PM
The Agatha Christ...: April 2016: Partners in Crime 17 20 Apr 18, 2016 11:15AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 56 Partners in Crime 1 3 Jul 24, 2014 11:09AM

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Spider's Web
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Giant's Bread
  • Unfinished Portrait
  • Subversão
  • Absent in the Spring
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery, #3)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • The Siamese Twin Mystery (Ellery Queen #7)
  • Μια σκιά στην ομίχλη
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • La saga della Spada di Ghiaccio

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Tommy & Tuppence Mysteries (5 books)
  • The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1)
  • N or M? (Tommy and Tuppence, #3)
  • By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence, #4)
  • Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence, #5)