Start by marking “Hubert the Pudge: A Vegetarian Tale” as Want to Read:
Hubert the Pudge: A Vegetarian Tale

Hubert the Pudge: A Vegetarian Tale

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The droll, offbeat tale of a pudge who escapes the pudge-eating world to find personal growth — and change his destiny

Hubert is a pudge, and pudges can never grow up. Instead, they are trucked off to the meat factory when they are still young and turned into TV dinners, microwave sausage links, and other greasy food products. But when Hubert manages to escape to the wild,
Published October 10th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Hubert the Pudge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hubert the Pudge

Ronyell
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The Vegetarian audience; Henrik Drescher Fans
I have always loved Henrik Drescher’s wacky illustrations in most of his children’s books, so I decided to give this book a shot. “Hubert the Pudge” is a recent children’s book by Henrik Drescher and it is about how a pudge named Hubert escapes from his cruel master, Farmer Jake to live in the forest. After Hubert grows to be twice the size of an elephant, he goes back to Farmer Jake’s farm to rescue his fellow pudges from being eaten.

Alright, it was a bit hard for me to find what I liked about
Lisa Vegan
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vegetarians & vegans; adults perhaps more than kids, especially very young kids???
This book is almost completely bizarre, but compelling too. It’s horrifying and humorous, and also edifying (though lots of fantasy here too) and inspiring/uplifting, in a way.

At first (as an ethical vegan who cares about animal suffering and knows the atrocities) I was horrified that such an “honest” book was written for children, but then I realized it’s a bit of a fable, even though some reality (such as animals being killed for food before they reach anywhere near full growth) are addressed.
Gina
Apr 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about vegetarian tales for kids--I still haven't found one that is just right. They all seem to be preachy-annoying, too wordy for a kid, or they have a neat little ending where all the factory-farmed animals are freed (like this book). The illustrations in this book were the best part--creepy cute!

If anyone has any suggestions for veg picture books, let me know!
Marta Borowska
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Though the art looks like someone drew it on LSD, the story is a good one to introduce to young children about the meat industry. Though the art makes me like it less, it's still an important teaching/lesson/idea to bring up to kids.
Peacegal
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
Unusual, retro, and wildly clever, this book will make an awesome addition to the bookshelves of vegetarian school-aged children. (I say school-age because some of the elements of the story may be a bit too dark for very young kids.)

Stephanie
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: vegetarian, jp, animals
I do think it's important the kids (and adults) face the reality of where meat comes from, but this book was still a little creepy. This is mostly due to the drawings, which seemed to come out of some old, frightening fairy tale. Oh well, I was still pleased to see a vegetarian tale for kids.
H FB
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
without the humor this book would be a three...

However, it's pretty funny in its own unique way.

The illustrations are a bit creepy but my daughter loves staring at the pictures; she says they're "beautiful." lol
Rachel
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
I really had high hopes for this book to introduce a vegetarian diet to kids, but the book has an obvious agenda and is extreme to the point of being ridiculous. A disappointment.
Kaila
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't whatever this is.
Jj
Dec 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
I love vegetarian tales, don't get me wrong...and I love animals and especially porcine creatures. I like the illustration style, too. However, this book was creepy and very heavy-handed without being intriguing or engaging. It is a wee bit distressing to read, honestly. I'll just cut right to the point and say that this book definitely made my list of picture books I would not recommend to anyone other than those who wish to induce nightmares in themselves and/or others.
Kathryn
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
silly funny little book. great to add to your child's "vegan AR" library.
Dray
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: whaaaaaaaaaaat
Uh, even as a vegetarian this was creepy.
Wing Yee
Jun 02, 2014
veganjilly
Nov 25, 2011
Lauren Flesher
rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2014
Nov 04, 2012
Aly
Jan 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Henrik Drescher was born in Copenhagen and immigrated to the United States in 1967. He began a career in illustration as a young man and has been traveling throughout the United States, Mexico, Europe and China, creating massive journals of notes and drawings wherever he went.

His books are held in the collections of the Library of Congress, the Museum of Modern Art, the Victoria and Albert Museum,
More about Henrik Drescher...