Start by marking “The Dream Where the Losers Go” as Want to Read:
The Dream Where the Losers Go

The Dream Where the Losers Go

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  177 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
No one knows why she hurt herself, least of all Skey. After five long months in treatment for self-destructive behavior, Skey continues to dream of dark tunnels with mysterious designs carved into their stone walls, a place where she is safe and alone. Then she encounters another dreamer, a boy her own age, dreaming the same dream, wandering the same tunnels. A boy with se ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Orca Book Publishers (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Where the Losers Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Where the Losers Go

Linnea
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens
I thought this book was great. The protagonist was easy to relate to, despite her somewhat extreme situation. It was really intriguing, and once I started it, I couldn't put it down. A very depressing read, with a realistic and optimistic ending; the main character coming to terms with her past and moving on.
Bryan
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it
I like this book because it is very weird. I had to read this book last year and i didnt think i would like. This book is about this person considered a loser and this dream that she keeps getting.
Katie Miller
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book.

I think the trauma experienced by the main characters is important to represent in literature. I wasn't a fan of its execution, though. I'm not sure if the expression of emotions and sexual experiences were written by someone who was never a teenager, or they were purposely disjointed and strange for mood and foreshadowing purposes.

The extended metaphor was too drawn out, the connection with real life too unrealistic, and the wrap-up was too tidy.

Plus, although I'm
Hua
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book starts with the dream of Skey. Throught out the book, Skey returns to her dream many times. In her dream she goes through an endless tunnel where she can heard a boy's breath but cannot reach him. When she finally reached him, she told him stories of the carving wall in her dream. In real world she when she returns to school she meets her boyfriend from dragon gang again. His boyfriend asked for sex and remined her of gang rape that happpened before. My favorite part of the book is whe ...more
Jessica Figueroa
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Skey is on a path of self destructive behavior landed her in a psychiatric ward and cant figure out why with a block in her mind. Her escape is a dream of dark tunnels is where she loves to go for solitude, but finds that she isn't alone and that there is another with secrets like her own. When she is allowed to go to school again and returns to her own gang of friends and back to her boyfriend. After spending time with them she notices violent and strange behavior from her friends and boyfriend ...more
Heidi
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, read-2012
Skey is living at a treatment facility after a suicide attempt, the cause of which is not revealed until the end of the book. She has dreams of being in tunnels and following a boy who seems to be harboring as much ain as she is. Once she is allowed to attend school, Skey falls back in with her boyfriend, Jigger, who leads a gang. Skey is paired for a school project with a boy named Lick; Jigger's jealousy results in Lick being badly beaten.

The book starts slowly with the dream sequences lastly
Kricket
Jun 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trauma
agha. I may have enjoyed this more if I had not just read "After the wreck..." by Joyce Carol Oates. Trauma, drugs, gang rapes, and a main character disappearing into her head- some similar stuff going on in both. I don't know why I keep reading these depressing books.

BUT all things considered I did like this one. It begins with the most boring dream sequence ever, which almost made me shelve it, but then things get a bit more lively. Skey lives in a group home for troubled young ladies after c
Jasmin
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I personally thought this was a great book. It was a quick read for me and the story was easy to understand. While some scenes were very graphic and dark in this novel, it was relatable to many people who are my age. Skey goes through something very extreme for her age and retreats herself into her mind , the " dream tunnels". She meets a boy there who is also going through the same pain as she is, all while in real life she hangs out with her old boyfriend and his gang. She then realizes how di ...more
Andrea
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
When I picked this book up I wasn't sure what to expect, but I found that I was intrigued by the story and I really enjoyed it.

The book was about the main protagonist Skey and her journey that resulted in her coming to terms with a horrific event that happened in her past so she can ultimately move on.

This is a great book for teens so they can get a better understanding about how different events in your life can shape your future and what you need to do overcome obstacles put in your path.

Th
Teno Q.
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Dark and sadistic, The Dream where the Losers Go is a story of redemption. A amnesiac girl named Skey (the names in this book are all strange) finds herself having a recurring dream of being lost in dark tunnels. This dream is a symbolic place, though Skey doesn't know it yet. One day she encounters a boy wandering with her. She doesn't know who he is, but she knows they have something in common, something that brings both of them to the dream where the losers go. I was guessing until the very e ...more
Hannah Stephenson
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, own
Such a good book!
I really liked the change between dream and reality. I also liked what the carvings on the wall really represented, for some reason it never crossed my mind that that is what they really meant.

It isn't the most cheery story but I wouldn't say it was depressive.
In some ways you can relate to Skey, even though her situation is kind of extreme you feel like you have a connection with her.
I would definitely recommend this book!
TheSaint
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
It was quite unpleasant to live in Skey's head for the length of this book. There is nothing pleasant about her existence in lock-up, nothing pleasant in her dreams, and nothing pleasant in her trips outside -- back to her life and very unpleasant cronies.

The extended metaphor of the dream was, I suppose necessary to build tension, but I could not stay with it.
Lynnette
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
finished reading the book like an hour ago n i thought it was wonderful!! such a chaotic feeling is what i got from the book...but it ended as if the calming after a huge storm. i like how feelings are personified as colors; that could really help out in real life. but the escape that skey creates i think every one does that in their own way when they don't want to deal with something.

Gill
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I totally forgot this book existed until I just stumbled upon a list of books for teens and recognized the title. I remember reading it in high school and deeply enjoying it. Definitely going to look for it the next time I go to a bookstore. From what I remember I'd definitely recommend it.. a couple of fairly graphic scenes though, if I remember correctly.
Vicki
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Skey-what a beautiful name & girl-but she can't remember why she is in a special home for destructive girls. Wh does she have these dreams of tunnels wi/carvings? Who is the boy she meets in the dram tunnels? Very good.
Rebecca H.
Nov 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY
This book tells the story of two teens who struggle with mental problems. Everytime they need to go somewhere, they hide inside their heads and meet with each other. I found this book disturbing and inappropriate. Plus it was really confusing.
Tracy
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just realized I read this book thanks to a library receipt I found haha. I remember bits and pieces of this book and I think it was very interesting and makes me believe that people do dream the same dreams sometimes.
Erin
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A very emotional read, but an excellent book.
Lisa Marie Ciresi
Jul 05, 2013
Marilyn Pate
Nov 30, 2014
Karyn Silverman
rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2011
Amberlynn
Mar 10, 2010
Anna
Oct 16, 2011
Noel
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites. It kept me guessing.
Ruth
  • The Perfect Cut
  • Us
  • Crosses
  • The Mothers of Country Day
  • Perfect Chaos: A Daughter's Journey to Survive Bipolar, a Mother's Struggle to Save Her
  • 6 Seconds of Life
  • A Legacy of Madness: Recovering My Family from Generations of Mental Illness
  • Purpose for the Pain
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • Dremiks
  • Finding Ava (Finding Ava, #1)
Beth Goobie is best known for her quirky and dark young adult novels. She's published several of them, beginning in 1994. Her novel Before Wings won the Canadian Library Association's Young Adult Book Award in 2000, and was chosen by young readers for the Best Books list of the American Library Association.Much of the turmoil in Goobie's life has been laid bare in two books for adult readers, Scar ...more
More about Beth Goobie...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99