Start by marking “The Duchess and the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Duchess and the Dragon

The Duchess and the Dragon

Rising romance novelist Jamie Carie’s second book, The Duchess and the Dragon, tells the epic story of two unlikely soulmates who live worlds apart but soon meet and turn each other’s world upside down. Drake Weston, Duke of Northumberland, is accustomed to a life of royalty until a tragic mistake followed by murderous rage results in his darkening character and sudden f ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by B Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Duchess and the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duchess and the Dragon

Barb
Aug 05, 2011 added it
An excellent story but.... I choose to read inspiration novels to avoid the sexual content. There was definitely more than necessary in this one.

Another concern I have is that Serena married Drake before he became a Christian.This is something that is in opposition to what the Bible teaches and it suggests that if you feel "led" of God to do something you should just do it. The Holy Spirit will not lead us to do something contrary to God's Word.
Angie
May 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book which is why I did read it instead of tossing it aside when things started to plod along for me. I know I'm probably one of the few people who didn't enjoy this book, but I felt like instead of falling in love the characters just fell in lust with each other. Also the story had so much potential but sadly just fell short for me.
Highland-dreamer
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Beverly
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very passionate, driven story that often gave glimpses of hope for the future, if Drake ever finally came to humble himself before his Creator. I loved that Serena was able to voice the distinction between being noble by birth and being of truly noble character. I enjoyed seeing the living out of ones faith in the Quaker expression, and the powerful preaching of Whitfield woven into the story of a man coming to terms with his past and finding real peace in Christ and being completely vulnerabl ...more
Erin
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a completely ridiculous story! Apparently,the only innocent women in early America were the Amish and the Quakers, every other woman was Hester Prynne. I couldn't stop laughing at the way in which thia seemingly innocent young Quaker woman was throwing herself at this indentured servant( who really was a member of British nobility). Insta-lust and the godly talk made it all the more hysterical! I'm too old for this silliness!
Melissa
This is a deep, passionate book that surprised me with how well it was written. I expected the normal romance and drama but got a deep heartfelt book with some sweet steamy kisses:} This book is Christian with a theme of redemption and it was done very well. I enjoyed the depth of each character and there love story was sweet and strong. I love a strong heroine and she was awesome. I will be reading more by this author. This was more an adult read.
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mesmerizing! Serena and Drake had my full attention from the first page until the last. A beautifully written story filled with the artistry of romance and the divine tapestry of spiritual reconciliation. My favorite Jamie Carie novel so far!
anieva
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was surprised at how well-done this book was in a number of ways. I won't go into it now, but Carie is a born-storyteller and quite good at using words to make new to us feelings that we've all had. She also paints an almost fairy tale world - in the right places - without laying it on too thick. I did prefer the first half or so to the end, as I didn't quite grasp what became a significant moral in the tale.

I really don't know why everyone is so upset about 'titillation' in this Christian fi
Anita Estes
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At first I gave this four stars, but I changed it to five. This was a great read. Everytime I thought I had it figured out, the author threw something new into the mix. Great characters, good mix of mystery and romance.
Susan
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
The story was ok but the narrator was wonderful.
Kelly Moran
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
This is the second title I have reviewed for a Jamie Carie book and, as before, I was not let down. This is the author’s second title, following Snow Angel, a Best Books Award winner. Jamie Carie resides in Indianapolis, Indiana with her husband and three children.
The Duchess and the Dragon, set in Regency-era, is a historical romance. Drake Weston, Duke of Northumberland, England is set to be the heir upon his father’s passing, bringing with it influence and wealth beyond imagine. But when his
Rachel
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've read three of Jamie Carie's books before this one, and I was so excited to read it. I was really expecting it to be good, but I was disappointed.
Selena is a quaker girl who is helping the refugees who have come to America. She loves painting, and lives with her family of sisters and parents.
Drake is a rich duke, who has found out that before his death, his father changed his will and made it so he does not inherit anything. He makes a plan to find a girl, pretend she is his step-mother
Michelle
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it

Jamie Carie knows how to pull a reader in to a story. The inheritance scandal and Drake flight's for his life and near-tragic sea journey really grabs you. That was all great stuff, if not too descriptive. Some details even turned my stomach. Then the romance begins, and my first thought was that it reminded me of a Harlequin historical romance. I haven't read them in years, but the attraction Serena feels toward this obviously sick man doesn't make a lot of sense because you know he had to look
Ellen
I didn't finish this book that I have been eyeing for years. Why I can point to the weak point right now SERENA.
This book is the story of a disinherited noble named Drake and Quaker Serena. Drake is fleeing England and Serena saves his life.
So I liked Drake and all the other characters. They felt full of life and I would have kept reading for there sakes if not for the biggest problem: Serena
Oh I liked her, at first. But then as she fell in lust with Drake ( and he with her) they kept getting mo
Anya
The bare-bones premise of this story was good. A man raised to be a self-centered nobleman, stripped of his title and learns a new way of seeing and being; the ultimate redemption story, and we never tire of it. Unfortunately, the author does not yet possess the experience to carry it off convincingly. I found it to be rather artlessly contrived and unbelievable. I think this author has potential but a good editor is to be desired in the future.

One further note; if one endeavors to write good Ch
Corley Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Let me be upfront and say that I do not abandon books lightly. In fact, I rarely do. But this...

I bought The Duchess and the Dragon MANY years ago, back when I was probably still in junior high, and I barely got into it before discarding it for a long, long time. Out of nowhere, I thought about it recently and decided to unearth it from where I had left it at my grandparents' house, thinking that maybe now that I was older, I would enjoy it.

That was not the case.

I made it about halfway through b
Hannah
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5.
It was a good story. Hated the insta-love!!! You can think that he's cute but OMG! chill girl. And he was borderline just plain creepy after she saw her. Give it at least a few days for you profess your love for each other, aka the floorboards are nice to look at.
I'm not religious and didn't care for the Quaker environment but I liked her parents. I hate that her religion just through her out because she married a "non-Quaker". But her parents still loved her and you could tell they weren'
Jessica
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Jamie Carie book.

I thought everything moved too quickly for my liking and why is this Quaker girl so forward towards men?! She struck me as vain and silly and kind of annoying, honestly. The story was unique but it didn't really draw me in like her other books did. I didn't feel the depth of emotion that I felt in "Wind Dancer" or even the love the characters felt for each other as they did in "Snow Angel".
The love in this book seemed entirely physically based. They practically
Ariel
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked this up for a dollar at a used book store sale. My expectations weren't very high and I was happily surprised by how much I liked it. I am a sucker for a good Cinderella tale and this had all of the required elements, handsome prince (duke), lovely poor girl (Quaker), difficult circumstances to overcome, and of course, happily ever after. Throw in some mentions of God's love and you have a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. The plot does move rather fast but I look at it as just cuttin ...more
Janis Kay
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-fic, ya-lit
This was an interesting, yet intriguing, read. The way she described Drake's voyage couldn't be much closer to the truth of the conditions, but I was taken back with Serena's boldness. It was definitely a different way to depict how one's emotions can change your character disposition overnight lol.

I really enjoyed the story and watching Drake come to terms with what he's done and Serena's steadfast patience, silently encouraging him to find the right path. The end was a little rushed to me, bu
Anna
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Erica
Feb 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
this book had the promise of being really interesting, but for me the lust between the two main characters and the sensual kissing killed it. also, the fact that there was very little mention of God except for a few muttered prayers and scriptures here and there. all of this combined made it seem almost like I was reading a main stream romance novel, not Christian fiction.
Nellie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I really liked this story. She is a new author to me and I found it fun and interesting. It was a bit predictable, but fun anyway. I would read more from this author. Drake is heir to wealth prestige, and power. When rage pushes him to a tragic mistake, he must leave everything behind. Serena lives a Quakers life, and tends to the sick who arrive on ships in the Philadelphia harbor.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, favorites
I would really proabaly give this 3.5 stars. It is about the heir to a dukedom who finds out he will not inherit and confronted with such ends up trying to plot to still become the duke. However, things go wrong and he ends up fleeing to the Americas where he meets a beautiful Quaker girl who changes his life. This is a Christian romance book.
Diane
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
When Serena was trying to make a hard decision & praying for an answer she heard, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." The thought shattered her, bringing quick tears to her closed eyes. It was the answer underneath all the questions...This was her choice. A choice she would have to live with and all its consequences, but He would not leave her alone in the wake of life's decisions.
Emily S.
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I especially loved the first half, but the whole book was good. There are a couple of things i would change, but I was swept up by the intrigue and passion and holy awe that I found the book hard to put down. I have to say thigh, I am bald I finished it because I was getting a little nervous there about the ending. It is a good thing, to know.
Geri
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea behind this book but I didn't enjoy the writing. Drake and Serena "fell in love" so quickly...it actually was more like lust. They both did and said things that I felt was very out of character. I did manage to finish the book, mainly out of curiosity but I really wanted to just get to the next book on my " to read" list.
Kacey
Sep 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
I couldn't make myself finish it-with my "to read" pile so large it didn't seem right. I didn't really care for the characters from the beginning so it wasn't grabbing me. I found Drake very self-absorbed and frustrating and Serena kind of ditzy. Although the scenery during the ship passage was pretty well done...it sounded miserable!
Erin
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
It was ok. Not great, but ok. Admittedly, I don't like all the "thee" and "thou" language. I do, however, understand that that is true to Quaker Religion and form. I can respect that aspect of the story for historically accurate purposes, I just didn't love it.
Carman
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Something about this book that struck me, was how important it is to be open and honest with your loved ones. Eventually things will come out into the open, and they will be more hurtful if you do not tell them yourself. This was a very good read and I am looking forward to more from this author.
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Wings of Morning (These Highland Hills, #2)
  • Maire (Fires of Gleannmara, #1)
  • Castles: Kingdom Divided / Alas My Love / If Only / Five Geese Flying
  • Circle of Honor (Scottish Crown Series, #1)
  • A Passion Redeemed (The Daughters of Boston, #2)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Daughter of Silk (The Silk House, #1)
  • The Falcon and the Sparrow
  • Lanterns and Lace (Texas Legacy #2)
  • A Necessary Deception  (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #1)
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • Beloved Castaway (Fairweather Keys #1)
  • Finding Stefanie (Noble Legacy, #3)
Born and raised in Vincennes, Indiana, Jamie is a preacher’s daughter. Road trips with her dad—to and from Bible studies across Indiana—were filled with talks of things beyond earth’s bounds – creation and the fall, God and Jesus and the rapture, the earthly walk compared to the spiritual walk, and how we are born for more than what we can see or touch. The highlight of those nights was stopping a ...more
“Her gaze fell on his lips, and she remembered the ointment in her basket. She bit her lower lip. Dare she?
A small smile formed on the man's mouth, and Serena reared back. Could he read her mind? Of course not, she chided herself. He was probably just feeling better- he'd certainly needed the water he had been able to ingest. Slowly, so as not to disturb his sleep, she leaned toward the basket on the floor and rummaged through it until her fingers wrapped around a little clay pot. It was in her lap and opened before she realized she had made her decision. She looked down at the ointment. Normally, she would have given it to the patient and allowed him to apply it himself, but this man clearly could not manage that. She dipped her finger into the pot before she could convince herself otherwise, the soothing smells of lemon and beeswax filling the space around them. Her hand stretched out toward his face, her heart pounding. What if he woke? How would she explain what she was doing? She dabbed a bit on his lower lip and sat back to see what response he would have. Nothing. He slept on. She nodded. She was a nurse; she could do this. Leaning in again, she quickly spread the ointment across his bottom lip. He moved his head away, as if avoiding a fly, but didn't wake. Determined to finish the job, she reached for the upper lip, which wasn't quite as chapped. It was softer and curved, dark rose in color with an indention in the middle that must be sinful, it was so well shaped. Her heart pounded in her chest and her breath quickened as she spread the ointment across the top of his upper lip. She halted, realizing how close she had leaned in, how deep her breathing had become...
When had she closed her eyes? Heaven help her, she wanted to kiss him.
"You can, you know."
At first she didn't know if the deep voice had come from the man or some other being in the room, so deep and quiet and inside her head it was. Her eyelids shot open as she straightened. "Can what?"
"Kiss me." He smiled, but didn't open his eyes.
Serena gasped, "Thee has been awake this entire time?"
One of his shoulders lifted. "I didn't think it would help my cause-" he paused pressing his lips together, as though struggling to stay conscious- "for you to realize that.”
1 likes
“Serena gazed at his features. He hadn't shaved since they'd been on the trail, and dark whiskers covered the lower half of his face. His dark hair was blue-black, shiny as a raven's wing. Long black eyelashes lay against lean cheekbones. She wanted to see his eyes and on an impulse kissed one eyelid. His lips, almost too red for a man, curved into a smile, but he didn't open his eyes. Serena tried again, this time touching the outer eyelid with the tip of her tongue. His response thrilled her.
With sudden strength he pulled her down on the bed. "What are you up to, madam minx?" She always forgot just how strong he was until he handled her. Arms like manacles wrapped around her, caging her against him.
"I want to play." She squirmed out of his grasp. His eyes finally opened and Serena caught her breath. There was such a look of happy love coming from them. She sat up and, movements slow, sought to mesmerize him. She uncoiled her hair from its knot, letting the strands wrap around her shoulders the way he liked. He watched in worshipful silence, then reached for her, the dance begun.”
0 likes