Start by marking “An Inspiring True Story: Eighteen Months To Live” as Want to Read:
An Inspiring True Story: Eighteen Months To Live

Read Book* *Different edition

An Inspiring True Story: Eighteen Months To Live

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Heart-wrenching, heartwarming, and inspirational. After being told that she had less than eighteen months to live, Midge Rylander determined to keep a daily journal to document the challenges she faced so that her experiences could help others. Eighteen Months To Live contains Midge’s journal as well as letters that she wrote to her daughter Rachele during her final months ...more
Published November 30th 2012 by Rachele Baker

To ask other readers questions about An Inspiring True Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Inspiring True Story

Robin Waldrop
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I gave this book 3.5 stars, which is why I marked the 4 star rating here.

Note: I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Eighteen Months to Live is a non-fiction memoir of sorts during the last months of Rachele’s mom’s life. Heart wrenching, sad, and inspirational all rolled into one. I read this story in two days.
This story is actual journal entries she wrote after learning of her illness. We learn the inner thoughts of a vibrant, out going woman who has just learne
Rachele Baker
Dec 12, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
THE STORY BEHIND MY BOOK EIGHTEEN MONTHS TO LIVE

One day when I was organizing and cleaning my garage, I decided to look in a box of memorabilia I stored there. I hadn’t looked in the box for many years. The box contained drawings and stories written by my daughter when she was young as well as some things I had written and drawn when I was a little girl.

As I was looking through my memorabilia box, I came upon my mother’s handwritten journal. Her journal was very prominent in the box because she
Marie-Anne Mancio
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rachele Baker’s Eighteen Months to Live is a transcription of her mother Midge’s journal that she began when diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma, a lung cancer deriving from an earlier exposure to asbestos. The book also includes letters she wrote to her daughter during those last eighteen months and Baker’s prologue and epilogue.

It is impossible not to be moved by Midge’s spirit and to feel frustrated on her behalf at the amount of needless energy she is forced to expend on negotiatin
Michaela McGregor
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
How do you give a review on a woman’s last words in this world? How can you put a star rating on them? I don’t know but that is my task here.

Midge Rylander found that information about her disease, malignant pleural mesothelioma, was extremely scarce. Eighteen Month’s to Live is a collection of her journal entries and letters from the time she was diagnosed until her death in the spring of 1992. Midge dedicated her life to helping others and this journal is no different. Her final wish was to pr
Rebecca Scaglione
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Eighteen Months to Live by Rachele Baker is a compilation by Rachele’s mother, Midge Rylander, of her journey through mesothelioma in the early 1990s. As many of you know from the TV commercials mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos.

Midge Rylander
But what really shocked me, was that Midge contracted mesothelioma from just doing her ex-husband’s laundry (as the laundry, and the ex were exposed to asbestos). I had no idea that was even possible!

Midge refused to receive chemotherapy or rad
Tony Breeden
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rachele Baker's Eighteen Months To Live is an insightful look into her mother's battle with mesothemiola. Put together from journal entries, letters, cards, and transcripts with brief editorial notes here and there, it details one woman's journey with terminal illness. It is at many points repetitive and, as one would imagine, more than a little depressing. It also contains moments of inspiration and perspective into the process a person with a terminal illness goes through... a perspective that ...more
Ali Isaac
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How would you cope, if you were handed a death sentence of only eighteen months to live? It doesn't bear thinking about. And yet that is exactly what happened to Midge Rylander, for she had contracted a terminal form of cancer in the lining of her lungs called Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma, which is caused by inhaling asbestos. This book is the story of her journey through the course of her illness.

When I first started reading, I was a little apprehensive about what to expect, but I needn't hav
Grammar*Kitten
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is not a novel, in the truest sense of the word. Nor is it a memoir, looking back over a lifetime. It is an awakening. It is a painful, poignant expression of one truly amazing woman’s outlook to the future, however limited that future may be. It is, in its own way, beautiful: heart breaking and heart warming.

I received an electronic copy of Eighteen Months To Live from Rachael in exchange for my frank and honest review.

Eighteen Months To Live is a collection of the diary notes of Midge Ryl
Fran Bott
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Eighteen Month’s To Live” by Rachele Baker is not your typical read. The book is essentially her mother’s journals with notes from the author and covers the last years before her death from mesothelioma.
What powerful insight her journal entries provide into the world of dealing with cancer. It sheds light on the issues with chronic pain, with communication between doctor and patient and the lack of information available at the time.
Much can be learned by her words, her feelings and emotions du
Edi Melon
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rachele Baker’s tribute to her mother is soulful and heartbreaking, yet also inspiring.
In the spring of 1990, Midge Rylander was diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma. This is a collection of journal entries made by Midge during her battle with this complicated disease.
At the time, very little was known about this deadly condition, so Midge had to navigate her way through unfamiliar territory as best she could.
Her journal shows a woman who handled herself with grace, poise, and digni
Jan
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free in exchange for writing an honest review.

Dr Rachele Baker DVM shares her mother's journal. It was a hard book to read knowing what the ending would be. Midge wanted this book shared to help others who are facing the same situation. I admire the family's courage and generosity in sharing this book.

Like most books. I think that everyone will have a different take on it. This one I think the reader's place on their own life will make a big difference. A person with two
Tabby Shiflett
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of journal entries and letters written by the author's mother after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Midge's story takes you through all the emotions, thoughts, and mental stages of someone coming to terms with this struggle, but how she had maintained her wonderful and beautiful spirit through it all. It also illustrates the difficulty that many patients and their families have with the medical/insurance field in general. I recommend this book to anyone who know ...more
Cindy Holdmann
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Basically, it's a journal written by a woman who was diagnosed with mesothelioma. From diagnosis until she passes, she tells it like it is and how she is dealing with her cancer.
You feel every emotion, live every moment and understand what it's like to live with such a horrible disease.
Losing my mother to breast cancer when I was only 18, this book helped me understand the feelings, emotions and pain she went through.
Do not look upon this book as a sad story, but one of how to live life to it
T.R. Robinson
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This in many ways is a unique book that to some extent belongs in its own category. It certainly cannot be described as ‘conventional’. ‘Memoir’ covers it to some degree but in reality it is far more. This is one woman’s account of how she battled and lived with an unusual cancer after having been, eventually, told she had one to eighteen months to live. .....................

........... This is a very human tale recording what to many would be a bitter experience. Indeed, it was bitter but Midge
Mrs Gillian M Walters
What a brave lady.

I do admired how she carried on with her life as long as she did while in so much pain and with her breathing difficulties.
Anita Dawes
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Unable are the Loved to die
For Love is Immortality”
Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

This book is the journal and letters that the author’s 57-year-old mother, Midge Rylander kept in the last few months of her life.
She died of cancer, caused by exposure to asbestos, simply from washing her husband’s work clothes. A story of courage and determination and an unsurmountable will to live.

I found strong parallels between my own life and this brave lady. Both of us strong, independent women, who find it imp
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
This novel is more of a journal with entries by Midge. There are also letters inserted here and there that she wrote to her daughter who is the author of the book. Some entries are longer telling the reader what Midge did that day and how she was feeling pain wise and what she took for medications and how often. The book spans the time after being told she had 0-18 months to live. This was a great idea to document the thoughts she had and what pain she felt throughout the time frame for others t ...more
Linda
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american, memoir
Midge wrote this journal during her final year of life suffering from mesothelioma (cancer) of the lungs from asbestos exposure. She wanted to help others understand this disease, new at the time, so the journal is a documentation of the disease symptoms (with a telling chapter on insurance and doctors). Daughter Rachele published the journal with an explanatory prologue and epilogue, including family letters received by or written by her mother.

Parts of the journal and letters could have been e
Nikki Brown
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: various-authors
An insight into the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. ..... written in the form of journal entries it's a very personal account of this lady's journey.
D.McDonnell
Marta
May 06, 2014
mrs jean lounton
Jul 30, 2018
Dr. Rachele Baker is a veterinarian, an author, an award-winning blogger at Rachele Baker, Veterinarian and Author, and a pet lover. She lives in the beautiful state of California with her golden retriever named Savanna and a sassy Maine Coon cat named Chessie.

Rachele has been working as a veterinarian in California caring for dogs and cats for over sixteen years. She received her B.S. from the Un
More about Rachele Baker
“We learn to appreciate what we achieve, no matter how small the achievement, because we do it ourselves. - Midge Rylander in Eighteen Months To Live” 1 likes
“For whatever time I have to live, I intend to enjoy myself." - Midge Rylander in Eighteen Months To Live.” 1 likes