Start by marking “The Weird World of Eerie Publications: Comic Gore That Warped Millions of Young Minds” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Eerie Publications' horror magazines brought blood and bad taste to America's newsstands from 1965 through 1975. Ultra-gory covers and bottom-of-the-barrel production values lent an air of danger to every issue, daring you to look at (and purchase) them.

"The Weird of World of Eerie Publications" introduces the reader to Myron Fass, the gun-toting megalomaniac publisher who
Published November 30th 2010 by Feral House (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Weird World of Eerie Publications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weird World of Eerie Publications

Angel Zapata
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a comprehensive history of my favorite horror mag publisher of all time, Eerie Publications. I read it in one sitting. Yeah, I shed a happy tear.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Guilty! as a twerpy, gawky kid in the 70's I would look at these gruesome and tasteless magazines in the racks and wish I had the change and guts to buy them. No way my parents would have let me take one home. Instead, I figured that if I'm going to get busted for having prohibited and forbidden magazines stashed away in my room, it might as well be the likes of OUI or Penthouse. If you're going to get in trouble, make it worth it! Anyway, this book is a nice look down memory lane for those of u ...more
Richard Cabe
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I thought was a book about the Eerie comics turns out to be a book about a publisher I had no idea about. Wonderful cover illustrations all throughout. Exploring titles such as 'Weird' 'Tales of Voodoo', and 'Witch Tales'. Book does exactly what it sets out to do.
Terry Collins
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a young man growing up in rural Mount Airy, NC, the line of black and white Eerie Publications magazines were on the farthest corners of my radar. Sort of like a ghastly accident that leaked into your field of vision before you could whirl your eyes away (and whirl I did ... my tastes for horror and grue really didn't develop into my teenage years). Sure, these tasteless attempts for your pocket change sprung out on magazine shelving, but focusing straight ahead and perusing the safety of the ...more
David
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. After reading this, I felt like taking a tick bath. Eerie and its brethren were the crudest, low-brow magazines dealing with horror, true crime and the like. Poorly written fiction and salacious journalism, abominably executed artwork, an editor who carried a .45 tucked in his belt while he worked to destroy the moral fiber of our nation. There really isn't a modern equivalent anymore, in print anyway. One now has to find it on the Internet.

The book itself does a good job with the history
Eric Orchard
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, horror
This book made me think publishing might be better now than it these books were being published. Yikes. Some parts are dry and I found some content didn't really pertain to horror comic fans. But the horror stuff is fascinating and the author lets you know that the book is dealing with material inferior to both EC and Warren. If anything there is too much detail. These comics were gruesome and cheap and often poorly drawn which makes them even more disturbing than the better crafted horror title ...more
Gary Shindler
If you're a fan of horror comics you will enjoy this. Maybe I'm old but I was kind of taken back by some of the explicit detail. It's interesting to see how derivative the industry could be especially stealing frames and recycling them via covers, stories, etc.
Scott Baker
The text is a little dry and sometimes drags -- I skipped through the 50-page chapter providing bios of all the Eerie Pu artists. But if you're a fan of the gory covers, this book is chock full of them, and for that alone it's worth the price.
Matt
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book examining Eerie Publications, publishers of uber-trashy horror comics, some of which are responsible for my life-long love of the genre.
James J
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great behind scenes book.wacky(cheap)publisher publishes wacky comics and makes a fortune.lots of great illustrations too.
Craven Lovelace
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a pleasure from start to finish. Just a thing of (literally) eye-popping, garish beauty.
Jacob
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Public library copy.

Nice art reproductions with insightful and in-depth publishing history commentary.
Jim Stephenson
Jan 15, 2011
Jon
Apr 18, 2012
Dominick J. Lo Conte
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2015