Start by marking “Love Me When I'm Gone: The true story of life, love and loss for a Green Beret in post-9/11 war” as Want to Read:

Love Me When I’m Gone is a tale for the ages, the perfect blend of action, romance, heroes, villains, patriotism and valor. What holds this story above all others is the fact that this one is true.

Rob had a pretty rough childhood: given up for adoption as an infant, brought into a family of highly decorated military men, suffering the loss of his mother to cancer, and his
Published December 9th 2012 by Trojan Warrior Books

To ask other readers questions about Love Me When I'm Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Me When I'm Gone

Start your review of Love Me When I'm Gone: The true story of life, love and loss for a Green Beret in post-9/11 war
Robert Lewis
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm a bit biased, but I loved it, all 1,000,000+ times I read it!!!
Jamie L
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Why I'm reading this book: I heard the author interviewed on a podcast and was intrigued.
Author's disclaimer (from the podcast - I'm paraphrasing): I took the book to a publisher and he told me to cut it from 250k words to 100k words and get a ghostwriter. I told the publisher no, that I wanted it to be in my words. So I self published via Amazon (yay, Amazon!).
My thoughts 15 pages into the book: engrossing story, but it DESPERATELY needs some editing.

My thoughts 200 pages into the book: incred
Dave Edmiston
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time that I've heard a veteran interviewed on Adam Carolla's podcast to plug his book. Both times the authors turned out to be some of the best guests I've ever heard. The first was Sean Parnell, author of Outlaw Platoon. And just like Sean Parnell, Rob Lewis turned out to be one of the nicest, most sincere, and most interesting guests to listen to. And again, just like with the previous guest's book, Love Me When I'm Gone turned out to be an amazing story.

Rob Lewis tells his
Laurie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of 2012 was actually a manuscript of a novel slated for a 2013 release, but this military stunner made it to press before the holiday and studios are already talking about a film.

"In Love Me When I’m Gone," retired Special Forces officer, Staff Sergeant, (SSG) Robert Patrick Lewis offers readers a golden ticket inside the exclusive world of U.S. Special Forces training and operations, and the tightly-knit web of brothers—Renaissance men with unequalled skill sets, opera
Christian D.  Orr
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The title says it all.

Contrary to "Rambo" and Hollywood's other depictions of Green Berets as near-superhumans and mindless killing machines, books by REAL Army Special Forces types like Robert Patrick Lewis' excellent "Love Me When I'm Gone" show that while Green Berets are extraordinary warriors ans extraordinary human beings, they are still just that, human beings, with emotions, imperfections, and same basic human needs for love, acceptance, etc, as the rest of the human race.

A very readabl
Cindy Lewis
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. A good understanding of what our troops and their loved ones go through. Couldn't make it through the book without tearing up several times. Great and inspirational writing- I HIGHLY recommend this book! :)
Lynn Peterson
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Never dreamed I would like this book so. It's the second war story I've ever read. The first was "Bridge on the River Kwai," required reading in high school. This was also an "obligation read" because I met the author's wife at the VA, opened my big yap and told her I would read it.

Amazing Grace. I devoured it, a very interesting tale of the very real life of today's military. Who knew so much behind the scenes intrigue underlies so much banality? Or maybe it was Lewis's story-telling skill tha
Richard
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Can't wait for the next book! I would recommend this book to any buddy who loves a good read! I have a new found respect to the dedication, sacrifice & patriotism in your beliefs. The one thing that Stuck out was the tight bond of brotherhood and comradely you have for one another. One would be lucky to find that in their life. ...more
Craig Scantlin
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this to be quite an enjoyable read. Really well written for what I assume is the authors first book and I look forward to seeing more from him.
William Stasny jr.
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good book about the often private lives of special forces
Marc
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I am very glad I read this book after hearing the author on the Adam Carolla podcast. I hope this book becomes very popular as it is riveting record of a green beret from training through combat. I work for a defense contractor who supplies radios to the special forces so I have great respect for them and what they do. This book did a great job of showing what great men and heroes these guys are. It was also great to hear a PSC-5 mentioned in a book.
Riley H
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any one who wants to become a part of the elite Special Forces will greatly appreciate this book. SGT Robert Lewis tells about his time as an 18D and it will damn near put you there. This book is incredibly inspiring, especially for SF aspirants. Other reviews prove that the book is great for anyone really. I recommend it 100%.
Cherry May
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1
nice
Craig D Orzel, Sr
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Welcome home

I truly enjoyed this book and am happy you made it home. I highly recommend this well written life story that shows that we still have patriots serving our country. Welcome home!
Jayden Parry
Aug 14, 2018
Chase Mullins
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merge my book to my author profile please 4 151 Jan 07, 2013 09:55AM

• Undaunted Valor: An Assault Helicopter Unit in Vietnam (Undaunted Valor #1)
  • Hard Trauma (Ty Stone Thriller #1)
  • Breckinridge Valley: Surviving the Black--Book 1 of a Post-Apocalyptical series
  • Sharks: A King & Slater Thriller (The King & Slater Series Book 6)
  • Blood and Money
  • Blackbird (Tommy Donovan #0.5)
  • Lone Star Odyssey: Obstacles
  • Declared Hostile (Raven One, #2)
  • Stay
  • Craig & Fred: A Marine, A Stray Dog, and How They Rescued Each Other
  • Courage on the Mountain
  • Man Down
  • The Dare
  • Rockfall (Tertiary Effects Book 1)
  • Meadowlands: A World War I Family Saga
  • Magnolia Wednesdays
  • Just After Midnight
  • Forsaken World: Dark Crossing
Robert Patrick Lewis grew up in Kingwood, Texas. After graduation from high school he attended Texas State University to pursue a Marketing degree.

Shortly after September 11th, 2001 he enlisted in the Army’s Delayed Entry program which allowed him to finish out his college degree, and a few weeks after graduation he left for Infantry Basic Training at Ft. Benning, GA. Initially intended to be an

News & Interviews

“It is something that cannot be explained or even understood until you’ve lived it; a man can’t know or fully appreciate his life until he’s been close enough to taste the end of it, and the bonds forged in battle are some of the strongest a man could ever have. We are brothers, the men of ODA 022, and though we didn’t have the same blood running through our veins, we had all shed the blood of others together, and knew that none of us would hesitate to step in the way of fate and take a round or jump on a grenade to save one another.” 3 likes