Start by marking “The Bane Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Bane Chronicles

The Bane Chronicles

(The Bane Chronicles #1-11)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  58,664 ratings  ·  5,483 reviews
Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this collection of New York Times bestselling tales, in print for the first time with an exclusive new story and illustrated material.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyan
Published November 11th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bane Chronicles, please sign up.
Elena After I learned this book was coming out, I could not control myself with excitement! I got it as my Xmas gift, what a delight!
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,437 books — 15,701 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,544 books — 9,148 voters

More lists with this book...

·  58,664 ratings  ·  5,483 reviews

Gabby
Dec 14, 2012 marked it as to-read
Okay, I just wanted to say to all those Cassandra-Clare-Releasing-More-Shadowhunter-Books haters, well, SHUT THE FREAKING HELL UP!!!!!!!

*Clears throat* Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that that's been said, let the fangirling begin:
OH MY GOD! Only my favourite character EVER is getting his own freaking series!??!?! This is just the best moment of my life.

Okay, the List of titles:

1) What Really Happened in Peru
2) The Runaway Queen
3) Vampires,
Emma Giordano
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed my time reading The Bane Chronicles! This is one of the only books from The Shadowhunter Chronicles that I had not previously read more than once, so it was interesting to re-read it 4 years later!

I treasured getting to know Magnus better through his lifetime so much. It's fascinating how there is a distinct change in his character when comparing the stories where he is much younger and more care-free to tales of him being older, wiser, and more mature. I think the complexity of Mag
Laurel
Dec 13, 2012 marked it as never-will-i-ever
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No, you know what? I follow Cassandra Clare on Tumblr.

I do it so I can see all the bullshit first hand. The anti-bullying post, for example, was a REAL WINNER and I laugh at how everyone found her so sincere and heartwarming and jesus fucking christ. If you knew what she had done in her past, how far she went to bring the people she didn't like down. This includes fandom-wide shunning, phone calls to their house, and ATTEMPTS TO KICK THEM OUT OF THE UNIVERSITY THEY WERE ATTENDING.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nonsense bullyi
hayden
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book, unfortunately, did nothing for me.

I remember Magnus Bane being one of my favorite characters of the original TMI series (if you can remember that far back, with all of Clare's publications and planned publications since then), but it's been so long since I read City of Lost Souls that all of my emotional attachment to him has disintegrated into ash.

For someone more connected to this series than I am, this may be a great addition, full of intriguing backstory and unique Magnus humor. B
Melanie

2.) Clockwork Prince ★★★★
5.) City of Lost Souls ★★★★
3.) Clockwork Princess ★★★★★
6.) City of Heavenly Fire ★★★★★

I clutched my pearls so very tightly when I found out that there was an anthology that starred Magnus, my favorite character in all of Cassie Clare’s works. Magnus is the bisexual, Asian, warlock of my dreams, and I love him with every bone in my body. I truly believe he is on
Matilda
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I feel like I enjoyed this more by reading them all together.

Woah looking through the comments all I can see is hate....for Cassandra Clare and how she is milking the fanchise,for a start:
STOP if you dont want to read another one her books you don't have to- we are not making you! People who actually want to read her book can buy them and read them and LOVE THEM.
I love the Shadow Hunter world and I dont think there is any problem with so many books being out. I love the world and charaters and
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt, overrated, 2016
"There was also the fact that sometimes vampires commited crimes worse than murder. They committed crimes against fashion."

A few years ago I was super excited about this being released. I couldn't wait to get more of Magnus.
Today I'm bored and annoyed. Magnus is such a sissy. So shallow. Such a typical Clare character. I honestly can't stand her pretentious plots/characters anymore. I can't keep from rolling my eyes and groaning(see quote above). Which is one of the reasons why it took me half a
Jeff
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
IT HAS MAGNUS BANE.

MAGNUS BANE!!!!!!
What more do ya want??

*rereads book for the 6th time*
Rayne
Dec 12, 2012 added it
So, back in the end of 2007, I was one of 'those' girls. You know, the ones that built shrines for Clare's writing ability, who desperately wanted to live in the world she created and the ones that proclaimed City of Bones as the best book evah?! <---Yeah. That annoying chick. Trust me, I regret it.

I want to use the "I was young and stupid" excuse and the "I didn't know good quality YA back then", and although they are valid and certainly true, the thing is, I do like The Mortal Instruments (
Kameron B. Moore
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
WHY IS EVERYONE HATING ON CASSANDRA CLARE BECAUSE SHE HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT? There is no reason everyone should be saying the stuff they are saying on here. Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I've read some reviews that say she bullied people in her past, well, the things those people have been saying can be considered as bullying. And who cares if she did it in her past?! Past is past. And it's her life; she doesn't have to tell the entire world about what she's done in the past ...more
Sonia
Dec 10, 2012 marked it as to-read
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT MY ENTIRE LIFE.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

So, some background on my relationship with Cassie. I read City of Bones first. Wasn't a huge fan of it, didn't particularly like Clary or Jace, I hated their relationship, and I hated Simon. The only redeeming quality was the excellent world-building and Magnus Bane. As I read City of Ashes and City of Glass I felt the same way and decided that was a good place to stop. I have never read City of Fallen Angels.

Then, as I heard all t
Chloe
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
I finally finished this!! This almost took me a month to read so I am SO happy I finally finished it.

I absolutely adore Magnus Bane so I was really excited to get to know him more, but unfortunately the stories in this were really hit or miss. Only 5/11 of the stories I actually enjoyed. The other 6 stories bored me to no end as they were just filler stories that didn't add anything to the shadowhunter chronicles/Magnus' character in my opinion.

I am happy I read it though and I do think it is w
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

“Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."
"I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!”

THIS HAS BEEN SO GOOD !.

description

The truth is that re-reading on a character for whom I have so much love, like Magnus, has been a pleasure.
I've always been very curious to know more about the life of this eccentric character , who has always been present in the life of the Shadowhunters both The Mortal Instruments saga, as in the trilogy the infernal devices, which as you know, I love with all my heart :).
vee
Mar 15, 2013 marked it as hell-fucking-no
/laughs and shakes head

Not today, Satan. Not today.
Gabriela
Dec 11, 2012 marked it as uhhh-nope
I love the fabulous Magnus Bane as much as the closest violent fangirl, but seriously, Clare? Stop milking that dead cow of yours already and move FORWARD.
shre ♡
Dec 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
I LOOOOOOVE THAT SHE'S MAKING ANOTHER BOOK. I LOVE THAT SHE'S GOING INTO DEPTH ABOUT THE WORLD SHE'S CREATED. I LOOOOOVE THAT SHE'S TRYING TO PLEASE HER FANS BECAUSE WE DDIIIDD ASK FOR THIS. I LOOVEEEEE THAT SHE STILL HAS MORE TO GIVE US AND WON'T STOP. I LOOOOOOVE THAT SHE IGNORES ALL THE HATERS AND KEEPS GOING BECAUSE I DON'T WANT THIS TO END. I LOOOOVEEE HER PERIOD.

[image error]

[image error]

Y'all are just jelly that Magnus has been sexier than you since the 13th century.
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4.5/5

Magnus has always been one of my favorite characters so of course I thoroughly enjoyed this. I didn't love it as much as the Shadowhunter Academy anthology because there were a few stories I didn't love as much, but I still enjoyed reading about Magnus' past.
Whitney Atkinson
This is the oldest book on my TBR so I finally decided to pick it up on audiobook. And i'm so disappointed :( Had I read this back in 2013 when I got it, back when I was still OBSESSED with TMI, i'm sure I would have loved it. But now I've forgotten literally all of the characters and events and this provides no context and it's just random vignettes of Magnus's life. The entire reason I took off as many stars as I did is because I was booooored. I skim read a ton of stories and put the audioboo ...more
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 stars

This was such a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much for a book of novellas about a character I already knew but wow, there are a lot of golden nuggets in these stories from past books, past characters and future ones as well! Absolutely a must-read if you have read and loved The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices :)
Brigid ✩
Mar 05, 2013 marked it as to-read
Okay, Cassandra Clare. You are really milking this. A lot.

...

However, Magnus Bane is my favorite character so I'll probably read this anyway.
Banny Carstairs
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Out of eleven stories I enjoyed five but only truly loved two.
Jaz
“Have a little faith in my magic fingers”

Magnus is a character that I always liked. I enjoyed it in TID trilogy, while he helped Will and I loved it in TMI series with all his eccentricity and his love for Alec although he seemed a little stalker sometimes.It is a fascinating character, one of those who always brings light to a scene and even can make you laugh at the most tragic moments.

“Magnus did not have enormous respect for the Law, but if he was breaking it he wanted to look good doing
Andre
Apr 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Alternative title: The bumbling around of a whiny, idiotic and judgmental asshole.

Note: There will be spoilers in this review and no possibility to blank them out, I think everyone reading this should know what they are in to when it comes to these stories.

These stories (which I read when they were released as e-books) were utter crap!!!
So far I read all of the Shadowhunter books apart from Clockwork Princess and City of Heavenly Fire and this here was the worst of them all in my mind. But to be
✨ kathryn ✨
I'm so pleased that Cassandra Clare gave an insight into Magnus' life - how he became, and why he is, the person he is. But seriously, Magnus Bane is actually my fav character in the Shadowhunters series, and my heart broke for him multiple times. That all being said, a few of the stories weren't really my thing, hence the 4 stars.
Giovanna
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-unhaul

- What really happened in Peru: 4 stars

"He carefully maintained the blasé air of one who had been here before and had been incredibly well dressed that time too”

This was so much fun! Magnus is one of my favourite characters (only Will Herondale is better imo) in the series, and his adventures with Catarina and Ragnor were so cute...plus, Ragnor ç.ç

- The runaway queen: 3 stars

The first one was better but it was nice to see Magnus in Paris in 1791, like...he named a monkey Ragnor!
And...I'm reall
Ashlee » Library In The Country
That was a fun read, I especially enjoyed meeting James Herondale. I’m even more pumped up for The Last Hours now!
Lauren Stoolfire
Nice collection of short stories featuring one of my favorite characters of the Shadowhunter Chronicles, Magnus Bane. The first couple of stories weren't the best, but I really enjoyed all of the rest. I particularly enjoyed getting to see more of Raphael - from how he gets his start to the character we know now - and, of course, I couldn't resist the stories featuring Alec! Though, I have to admit, I wish the cover, if it had to feature an actor at all, would have had Harry Shum Jr.'s version o ...more
Hannah
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it

Some of the stories were a bit more slow than others. But I always love reading about Magnus so overall, I enjoyed it.
Sage Elizabeth
5.) City of Lost Souls ★★★★
3.) Clockwork Princess ★★★★★
6.) City of Heavenly Fire ★★★★★

• Other Worlds
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • City of Bones: The Graphic Novel
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • The Demon's Covenant
  • Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5)
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1)
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Navigating the Shadow World: The Unofficial Guide to Cassandra Clare's the Mortal Instruments
  • Infinite (Newsoul, #3)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Grim
  • Luminosity (Luminosity, #1)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

The Bane Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Runaway Queen (The Bane Chronicles, #2)
  • Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (The Bane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)
  • The Rise of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #5)
  • Saving Raphael Santiago (The Bane Chronicles, #6)
  • The Fall of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #7)
  • What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (The Bane Chronicles, #8)
  • The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles, #9)
  • The Course of True Love [and First Dates] (The Bane Chronicles, #10)
“Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."

"I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!”
216 likes
“Where am I?" Magnus croaked.
"Nazca."
"Oh, so we went on a little trip."
"You broke into a man's house," Catarina said. "You stole a carpet and enchanted it to fly. Then you sped off into the night air. We pursued you on foot."
"Ah," said Magnus.
"You were shouting some things."
"What things?"
"I prefer not to repeat them," Catarina said. "I also prefer not to remember the time we spent in the desert. It is a mammoth desert, Magnus. Ordinary deserts are quite large. Mammoth deserts are so called because they are larger than ordinary deserts."
"Thank you for that interesting and enlightening information," Magnus croaked.
"You told us to leave you in the desert, because you planned to start a new life as a cactus," Catarina said, her voice flat. "Then you conjured up tiny needles and threw them at us. With pinpoint accuracy."
"Well," he said with dignity. "Considering my highly intoxicated state, you must have been impressed with my aim."
"'Impressed' is not the word to use to describe how I felt last night, Magnus."
"I thank you for stopping me there," Magnus said. "It was for the best. You are a true friend. No harm done. Let's say no more about it. Could you possibly fetch me - "
"Oh, we couldn't stop you," Catarina interrupted. "We tried, but you giggled, leaped onto the carpet, and flew away again. You kept saying that you wanted to go to Moquegua."
"What did I do in Moquegua?"
"You never got there," Catarina said. "But you were flying about and yelling and trying to, ahem, write messages for us with your carpet in the sky."
"We then stopped for a meal," Catarina said. "You were most insistent that we try a local specialty that you called cuy. We actually had a very pleasant meal, even though you were still very drunk."
"I'm sure I must have been sobering up at that point," Magnus argued.
"Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."
"I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!"
"Ragnor is not," Catarina said. "When he found out that you were feeding us guinea pigs, he hit you over the head with your plate. It broke."
"So ended our love," Magnus said. "Ah, well. It would never have worked between me and the plate anyway. I'm sure the food did me good, Catarina, and you were very good to feed me and put me to bed - "
Catarina shook her head."You fell down on the floor. Honestly, we thought it best to leave you sleeping on the ground. We thought you would remain there for some time, but we took our eyes off you for one minute, and then you scuttled off. Ragnor claims he saw you making for the carpet, crawling like a huge demented crab.”
120 likes