Jump to ratings and reviews

Heist Society #2.5

Double Crossed: A Spies and Thieves Story

Macey McHenry—Glamorous society girl or spy-in-training?

W.W. Hale V—Heir to an American dynasty or master thief?

There are two sides to every coin. Whether these two can work together is a tossup.

Born into privilege, Macey and Hale are experts at mingling with the upper class. But even if they’ve never raised an eyebrow at the glitz, neither teenager has ever felt at home with the glamour.

When Macey and Hale meet at a society gala, the party takes a dangerous turn. Suddenly they’re at the center of a hostage situation, and it’s up to them to stop the thugs from becoming hostile. Will Macey’s spy skills and Hale’s con-man ways be enough to outsmart a ruthless gang? Or will they have to seek out the ultimate inside girl to help?

The worlds of Heist Society and the Gallagher Girls collide in Ally Carter’s fast-paced, high-stakes and tantalizing new story. Get a behind the scenes glimpse as Ally delivers an irresistible thriller that is full of her signature style and savvy twists.

60 pages, ebook

First published January 22, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ally Carter

48 books15.1k followers
Ally Carter writes books about sneaky people and movies about Christmas. She is the New York Times Best-selling author of the Gallagher Girls, Heist Society, and Embassy Row series for teens as well as WINTERBORNE HOME FOR VENGEANCE AND VALOR for younger readers. Her books have been published all over the world, in over twenty languages.

She encourages you to visit her online at allycarter.com and embassyrowbooks.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Dany.
257 reviews
May 25, 2015
¡¡¡¡¡¡OMG!!!!!!
A story of Thieves and Spies by Ally Carter, Combinated????
This is fucking amazing

CAN'T WAIT
________________________________________
EDIT: What I felt as I read Double Crossed (in an almost review)

First thought: OMG! is narrated just as Heist Society Series!

Second thought: Macey meet Hale!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Third thought: They start a funny conversation! *w*

Fourth thought: the problems are here and the action begun!!!!!!!!

Conclusion: It's the most awesome crossover EVER! It's too good for how short it is.

Profile Image for Elevetha .
1,721 reviews165 followers
February 3, 2013
*fangirling hardcore*

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.

I WANT MORE OF THESE.

Every single fangirl on the planet and the far reaches of space wanted a crossover. Come on, everyone knows it. And Ally, our flawless queen, is giving us exactly what we wanted.

THERE ARE NO WORDS. Except those^^^^^

description

ONE MORE DAY! ONE MORE DAWN! ONE DAY MORE!!!!

Oh, my. So good. Ally knows how to treat her fans well.

HALE'S POV!!!YES, I have wanted this for ages!

Fave scene:

"What kind of plan B?" Hale asked. He was almost holding his breath when a voice answered, "My kind." Macey tried to read the look on his face then, but it was gone in a flash. It had been a simple moment of peace and joy and pure happiness. That voice made Hale happy. It kept him calm. It was his backup and his conscience. Macey couldn't help herself, she envied him.

Read here.
Profile Image for mara • (chaotic reader).
87 reviews185 followers
April 3, 2015
For those looking for a link to Ally's free novella:
click here to get yourself some Hale
(Note: the novella was released completely free for everyone by the publishers. So thank you Ally!)

What a perfect little novella! The combination of Hale and Macey is brilliant - I NEED THEM TO APPEAR TOGETHER AGAIN. Not as a couple or anything like that, just as a badass duo. I mean imagine this: both have a don't-give-a-damn attitude, both are witty and both have that badass sexy edge. Perfect team.

So here you have our beloved Hale:
He was tall, with broad shoulders and careless hair, in a designer tuxedo that he wore as if it was simply what he'd found on the floor by his bed that morning. With his roguish smile and cool indifference . . .

And then we have Macey:
Macey McHenry was sidling up to him. She looked like a bored society girl who was in the mood to grab the nearest guy and leave the party. But if there was anything W.W. Hale V truly understood, it was that looks could often be deceiving.
As soon as she was close she whispered, "You've got to get out of here."

I also loved how the reader got a glimpse of how Kat and Hale's relationship has developed since Uncommon Criminals.
Just look at them:
"Who is that?" Macey asked.
"The reason I wasn't flirting with you," Hale told her.

__________________________________

PRE-READING 10/12/2012:
A CROSSOVER? DID SOMEONE SAY CROSSOVER? YES? YES! Ally Carter's books are always so entertaining and fun to read.

But spies and thieves in the same book or rather novella? Are you sure this is safe Ally? Are you really really sure? This much sexiness and danger can't be healthy? Am I right ladies?

I mean Hale you sauve little 16 year old. Why can't all 16 year old boys be like you? I can't describe the extent of my literary crush on him.

Profile Image for Anne.
3,787 reviews69k followers
June 24, 2015

Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book

For those of you who don't know, Ally Carter is the young adult author of The Gallagher Girls (a series about an academy that trains teenage girls to be spies) and The Heist Society ( an Ocean's Elevenish series about teenage thieves). Double Crossed is the highly anticipated crossover novella that brings these two different groups together.
*insert squealing tween fangirls here*
I've never read any of the Gallagher Girls books, but I have read the first book in the Heist Society. While I thought it was cute, it didn't really inspire me to run out and grab any more of Carter's stuff. However, after reading this, I might just change my mind.

Alrighty, you have two society kids at a charity function, and both are more than they seem at first glance. When a group of gunmen take the room hostage, they each utilize their own different set of skills to bring the bad guys down.
*insert theme from Mission Impossible here*

The story itself was surprisingly fun. And I say surprising, because I am nowhere near the age of the intended target audience. No, it's not gonna blow your mind, but it was really good for a novella. And since it's short, it's a good way to see if these might be something you'd be interested in, without having to commit to a full-size book. I don't think prior knowledge of the characters is a must, either. I recognized Hale from the Heist Society, but I had no idea who Macey was, since she's a Gallagher Girl. It didn't impact my enjoyment of the story at all, but there may have been a few inside jokes that I missed.
I'd recommend this for anyone looking for a fast-paced easy read, or maybe just looking for a book for that special tweenage girl in your life.

Profile Image for Jasprit.
527 reviews732 followers
March 27, 2013
Not being a huge fan of the Gallagher Girls series and a huge fan of the Heist society series. I was a little worried that maybe this book wouldn’t be for me, but I was wrong as Carter produces a brilliant mash up of two different worlds in Double Crossed.

Macey and Hale find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time, what was meant to be a friendly auction turns into all the guests being held hostage by a bunch of robbers who will stop at nothing to get what they want. Despite our favourite characters finding themselves in a tight situation, Carter was able to sprinkle the story with humour which resulted in a light hearted, fun and enjoyable read. It was great seeing sets of characters having to be forced to work together in a situation when they didn’t trust one other the least bit. Both Macey and Hale didn’t know what the other had up their sleeve but were able to put their brilliant minds together and find a way to get out of the dire situation. What I enjoyed the most about Double Crossed aside the brilliant pacing and cons was the relationship between Hale and Kat. It was great to have both of them finally to be open about their feelings for one another.

Double Crossed was a quick story which will be sure to delight fans of Ally Carter’s previous series.
Profile Image for Carmen .
759 reviews68 followers
January 23, 2013

Amazing novella, a really fun short story involving both series, and it was great to see Kat, Hale, Macey and Aunt Abby again-who knows? Maybe they'll meet again someday or Kat might just take up on Aunt Abby's offer... (Highly doubtful of that one though)

The mix of two series was incredibly fun to read and I'm so glad Ally made it free for everyone to download. :)

********

NO. NO. NOOOOOO WAY.

MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE.

Gallagher Girls has combined with Heist Society. The have combined. In a book. (ok, novella, but whatever.) THE DREAM EVERY ALLY CARTER FAN HAS BEEN WAITING FOR.

Oh my God.

Someone slap me.

HOLYBLEEPINGOMGOFALLTHELOVETHATISHOLYOMMMMMMMMMMMMG.

I. Must. Get. My. Hands. On. This.

LOVE THE COVER. PERFECT BLEND OF BOTH SERIES' COVERS.
Profile Image for Kathy.
2,043 reviews569 followers
August 11, 2016
What a cool idea to mix characters from two different series. I thought this was an enjoyable short-story. I liked Macey and Hale and how their two worlds collide. I liked the end when . If you like these series you'll enjoy this short story.

Content: Clean. Mild violence.
Profile Image for Kaylee Magic.
74 reviews184 followers
January 26, 2013
EDIT: Ally, it's official. I love you. ❤ Please please please write more books that take place in a cross between your two epic worlds!! In fact, ALL AUTHORS should do this more often. It's GENIUS.

That is all. (':

After finding out about this:

HowthehelldidInotknowaboutthisuntilnow??

Oh my gosh, I think I'm going to die of happiness!!!!!!!! Please bury me in a coffin filled with Ally's other amazing books.

Kay, thanks.
xoxoxo
Profile Image for Ana.
345 reviews168 followers
January 29, 2013
5 stars

Ever since Ms. Carter first mentioned this book I was really looking forward to reading it. A clash of Gallagher Girls and Heist Society? What's not to like there? :D So, I was overjoyed when I noticed it on NetGalley (and no requesting needed) :-) .

OK, on to the story itself. Imagine an ordinary society gala. A lot of rich, influential people wandering around. Filled to brims with women adorned in millions of dollars worth of diamonds. And one woman, the proud owner of the Canary diamond shines brighter than of all them.
[image error]

Sounds like a thief's dream, doesn't it? Well, some would definitely agree, since they actually did decide to relive the guest of their valuables. What they didn't do is count on Macey McHenry and W.W. Hale V.

Macey is bored to tears. Her friends aren't with her, and there's nobody interesting or new in the place. Unless, wait - who is that gorgeous guy and is he stealing something from a guest?

Hale isn't thrilled with the gala either. There's no challenge in her - except for the strange girl who is more than she appears. There is something odd about her, but figuring out what it is would have to wait since the guys with guns showed up.
[image error]

I adore this story! Seeing the two worlds clash is even better than I imagined.

I liked how well all of them worked together. They didn't trust each other immediately (after all they are all pretty paranoid because of their jobs), but at the end they managed to pull off a perfect plan (one worthy of Kat).

Hale is as dreamy and gorgeous as ever - not long now for Perfect Scoundrels. And Macey, well she made waiting for the next book in the Gallagher Girls series even more of a torture.

All in all, an amazing short story that will make you crave more of Ms. Carter's writing!

ARC received from Disney Book Group via NetGalley.
Profile Image for Alyssa.
79 reviews19 followers
January 26, 2013
NO WAY! MIND BLOWN Hale and Macy? one book...well novella but STILL! Spies & Thieves One of the best book concepts ever! Don't you realize how cool that is?!? This takes place in the middle of GG5 and GG6 but between what two books for the heist society novels. Hmm, or is it even before that or maybe it's after the whole Heist Society novels, And KAT AND HALE ARE TOGETHER! AFUGAUEHSNAJ!!!! Okay, let's not get to ahead of our self. This is going to be TAH BOMB

After Reading It
I wish that this was longer. Wahaha, Macy and Hale together was so funny because but they were trying to figure out who the other person was but we knew who they were all along. And Hale and Kat seem to have gotten a lot closer since Uncommon Criminals. Which is awesome! Now we know for sure sure that Hale has feeling for Kat, Kat just doesn't know. I was smiling so much when he said that he was already spoken for. That's so cute! This novella was like a fresh little reminder that got me all excited again for the Ally Carter books. Now I can't wait for HS3 and GG6!

Oh! And when Aunt Abby gave Kat that card for Gallagher Academy. *SQUEAL* Kat going to school with a bunch of thieves like her (well they're spies, so same thing) ...But let's face it, that's not going to happen. Kat belongs in her book and Macy belongs in Gallagher Girl books. One can only hope though. She should have gave a card to Hale too. Just saying, that school needs more then one guy in it. Just imagine, Hale and Zachery as best buds. I'm liking that idea. Great, now I'm thinking tons of other HS and GG cross books.
Profile Image for Ayra.
340 reviews23 followers
December 31, 2021
EDIT 12/30/21:
Ahhh, I miss this two worlds! Also, reading this now, I'm totally imagining the Calloways as someone connected to Julien Calloway in gossip girl reboot!

EDIT 5/5/19:
After all these years, the spies and thieves are still special to me. So much fun going back into this world. Trying my hardest not to reread the 2 series as I still have a lot of new books to read.
------------------------------------------------

During my first reading of the Gallagher Girls series, I really wanted to read this but I felt like I need to catch up on the Heist Society series first. However, I DNFed that. So, I just forgot about this book and moved on.

However, during my reread of the Gallagher Girl series, I decided to read this even though I don't plan on reading the Heist Society series. But guess what! THIS BOOK MADE ME READ THE HEIST SOCIETY SERIES. So there you go, I fell in love with Hale and Kat's character! This is surprisingly good. The character choices are fantastic. For once, Macey and Hale are on the spotlight. I love every single page. Go ahead and read this!!!
Profile Image for prag ♻.
585 reviews586 followers
June 29, 2016
One heist. One mystery.

Macey, Hale, Abby and Kat.

The perfect Ally Carter crossover.

I am so glad I found this book. I really love crossovers, and canon crossovers written by an author of one of my favorite series? Perfection.

My only problem was that it was waay too short! It would be so amazing if Kat accepted Abby's offer and went to Gallagher Academy.

Oh, I really want her to meet Cammie. I can see Zach and Hale bonding too!? I want more of this. It makes me happy.

4/5 stars
Profile Image for Angie.
1,193 reviews130 followers
January 30, 2013
Anyone who has read the Heist Society series or Gallagher Girls series by author Ally Carter will more than likely agree that this novella, which collaborates characters from both these series, are a genius idea. I, on the other hand, haven’t yet read either of these series’ but after reading three chapters from each of the first books as bonus material in Double Crossed, I am eagerly looking forward to getting started on both.

That said, I enjoyed the sneak peeks of Heist Society and Gallagher Girls and as this is the first time I’ve read anything by Ally Carter, I can see why her books receive so much hype. In Double Crossed her impeccable writing style had me hooked from the word go, and her characters are lifelike and authentic. The author strays from overused clichés when it comes to character descriptions, and gives readers freedom to use their imagination in immersing themselves in a high society setting as it suits them. Using details sparingly, but highlighting the important ones to ground the reader, she takes us into a world which feels convincingly real and makes you feel right at home as though you’ve always been a part of it. The witty banter between Macey and Hale is heart-warming and I’m so darn grateful the author didn’t set them up as love-at-first-sight or characters who are instantly attracted to each other. Each character gets a turn to shine and combining their individual “talents”, they make a kick-ass team. In the space of eight chapters I’ve gotten to know Hale, Macey and Kat so well, it feels as though I’ve known them forever.

A clever plot, three unforgettable characters, and a lot of imaginative twists, have me uber excited to find out what Heist Society and Gallagher Girls are all about! This is one read I’ll definitely be highly recommending to friends and fellow bookworms alike.

I received a free copy of this novella from the publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.
*Reviewed on Mundie Moms on 1/23/2013*
I have been waiting for this e-novella since oh, I don't know it seems like months and months. Why? Okay, I adore Ally's writing, her characters and both the Heist Society and the Gallagher Girl series have me on the very edge of my seat waiting for the next (and final) installments. So this morning when I poured my cup of coffee and checked my kindle for the download, I may have breathed a sigh of relief that it was yes indeed, there.

Macey McHenry, the senator's daughter, cosmetic heiress and Gallagher Girl waited for me to read her words as she described her first impression of the always dreamy W. W. Hale, V. And Macey must never be kept waiting. It was so logical for them to meet up because, after all, they do run in the same social circles. The tension, flirtation and most of all their cooperation in working together made for some tense page turning moments.

The story is short but satisfying and yes, it does feature two of my other favorite people from both of the series. I won't spoil it for you; you have to read it yourself. And hey, it's FREE. Many thanks to Disney-Hyperion for giving us this satisfying treat while we wait for Perfect Scoundrels release on February 5th.

Oh and if you download Double Crossed now, you will also get the first chapter of Heist Society and the first two chapters of Gallagher Girls #1 (I'd Tell You That I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You). If you haven't read these series, yet, what better way to get introduced to them than through this free e-novella? In the mean time, I may be re-reading Double Crossed again in the school pick-up lane. If you see me, shhhhhh, do not disturb the reading mom.
Profile Image for Julie Graves.
892 reviews27 followers
January 22, 2013
Gallagher Girls meet Heist Society! Wow! This was such a fun short-story! If you like the Gallagher Girls series(which I love!) and you like The Heist Society(which I also love!) then you must read this book from Ally Carter.

Hale(from Heist Society) and Macey(from the Gallagher Girls Academy) are both at the Calloway Ball when a group of gunmen dressed in Presidential masks take the group hostage. The scheme seems much more elaborate than just a normal grab the jewels and run type job. Hale and Macey join forces to thwart the thieves. Of course they have a little outside help from Kat and Abby. The thieves don't have a chance once the spy girl and the con join forces!

What a fun idea to link the two series together! I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to the next installment of The Heist Society "Perfect Scoundrels" coming out February 5th. I haven't heard when the next Gallagher Girls book will be coming out, but definitely will be watching for it.
Profile Image for Katy.
611 reviews333 followers
January 23, 2013
What an ambitious thing to do - incorporate your two very different series into one novella. I really liked the Heist Society books and was excited to hear there's going to be another one coming out soon. And I've never read the Gallagher Girls, but after reading this novella, I am definitely curious.

I really like Carter's intricate planning - each little step that she is careful to set up to where it works out so well in the whole story. And I wasn't crazy about it at first, but her "no one notices when" is a really good way of pointing out things because it's hard to visualize what's happening if you're not paying attention to what you need to.

I'm not usually a fan of novellas, but I'm just impressed because you wouldn't think a 90-page book would make your gears churning.
Profile Image for Kate.
32 reviews
May 11, 2014
So short yet soooo goood! Hope there will be more of this! I really like the idea of having Cammie and her friends meet up with Kat's crew. I just wish it will happen in the near future. *fingers crossed* :)
Profile Image for Mlpmom (Book Reviewer).
2,976 reviews363 followers
January 7, 2015
Absolutely loved these two worlds colliding and seriously hope they do again in the future. This also reminded me that as much as I love the Heist Society, I have a feeling I am going to love Gallagher girls just as much.
Must start it soon!
Profile Image for sally ✿.
403 reviews108 followers
February 28, 2018
CAN KAT GO TO GALLAGHER ACADEMY? PLEASE?

Spy Kat would be awesome. I would absolutely love that.

Also, this short story just reminded me how much I miss my thieving gang, and how much I desperately want Heist Society book four.

Would totally be okay with more crossover stories!
Profile Image for Mary.
994 reviews428 followers
January 23, 2013
What the what?! This is ridiculously awesome. I never imagined that the Gallagher Girls and the Heist crew would meet. I am speechless and totally in love with this concept.
Profile Image for Ashley.
208 reviews1 follower
January 24, 2013
All I have to say is that there better be another one like this. Ally Carter could even write another book or series or novella about Kat going Gallagher Accdemy! Now that would be awesome.
193 reviews17 followers
December 21, 2012
WHAAT!
Macey doesn't end up with Preston, and Hale not with Kate?

*Silently sobbing*
Profile Image for Caroline.
129 reviews21 followers
August 6, 2016
omg

Should I count how many times I almost ended up on the floor from the amount of cute?

"""""""The reason I wasn't flirting with you."""""""""

Look, that's my review. That's it.

Not going to lie, my favourite Goodreads shelf is broody-rich-boys-aka-w-w-hale-v

Do I quote this entire novella????? Because it was great.

omg

Everyone's really hot.

""""""What's your name?""""""
"You'd be surprised how many times I get asked that question."

jfc *___*

You two, stop it.

This is what the world would look like if Kat Bishop didn't exist. It’s okay, AU is okay but Kat :') :') :’) :’) I love you. (And Hale.) (Macey too.)

Also!!!!!!!!!! Abby.

Ladies everywhere.

"It's a sisterhood."

This (”It’s a sisterhood”) is basically what Gallagher Girls is about. Because it's a sisterhood and it transcends generations, and you get girls and ladies everywhere who are so great that I don't know how to handle them. I don't know.

Because it's about a school that teaches girls to become spies, and they learn to fight for all the things they think they should fight for. And they don't let anyone else tell them otherwise. Because even though there are also great adult characters in both series, but especially GG, these adults don't shape these girls nor are they resented or missing from their lives or the cause of their angst. These girls look up to them, and sometimes worship them, but they make their own choices in the end, even when the whole world is telling them teenagers can't be the heroes, that teenage girls cannot be the ones who win, especially against adults who kill and just don't care. So some of these girls do things that hurt their parents because they believe in what they're doing, and the adults love them still (but they also hurt because these girls are their daughters and how can you not???).

THESE GIRLS UGH. These girls love each other, and every one of them is flawed but they're also so, so, so great (which is the only way tbh). And every one of them has their own character arc, even the adults, and it's beautiful. Even the minor characters all get their time to shine, but these girls are the ones who are the true heroes. And some of them come from heartbreaking backgrounds, some who are running from their family, and some who are running towards, and sometimes they get lost, or think they know what they’re doing, but it doesn’t matter. Because it’s them, and they’re all that matters. These girls are their own people, but they become – not complete because a person is never a half of themselves without another person – but just more.

Also the emphasis on POSITIVE female friendships in general. Because sometimes there is so much hate between girls in YA, like, "Wow you like the boy I like, you are obviously not a deserving person," or "the mean girl vs the main character girl" or slut-shaming (which is actually the worst because the state of a girl's virginity should not be the measure of her character), but these girls, these four - oh my God.

Just - Cammie, Bex, Liz and Macey, and how much they love each other.

How different and ""strong"" they are because they make each other strong – don’t even go there with “strong female characters” because you lose me there. They are strong, not because they are physically strong and definitely not because they aren’t emotional (because there are far too many times where I see girls derided as “weak” and “annoying” and “over-emotional” for even daring to feel (How dare they??) – but because they make each other strong. How they work with each other, and pick each other up, but also admire, get angry at each other, but most of all, that they all know that they can be so much more when the four of them are together.

There's sister feelings as well with Aunt Abby and Rachel. Because it is a sisterhood that links generations and generations of Gallagher Girls. And these two sisters are such an epitome of that, that they’re best friends, best partners, and love each other so, so much.

Omg, also mothers!! Mothers and their daughters, girls and their mothers etc and these books, especially Cammie's character and arc, and basically her entire relationship with her mother. JUST. Every single Gallagher Girl ever.

And....and.......and, the relationships in both Heist Society and Gallagher Girls between Kat/Hale and Cammie/Zach. Because there isn't a dominant person of the relationship who the supposedly "weaker" one is meant to rely on; there isn't an imbalance between one who might be physically, mentally superior with desired skills, to the one that is so-called "normal." Because even this trope, is turned on its head with Kat and Hale’s relationship because Hale is the one who chooses Kat and has to learn her family’s trade, while Kat was born into it and is experienced in the only way that is passed down in the family. And how Hale sort of reveres Kat for all the things she can do, and just their belief in each other, and how they're a team but how they also both balance each other and how Hale and Kat can be forces individually but when they’re together, it’s as if the world rights itself. (And this is the way it should be. A person should not be “your other half” because it suggests that you were never whole until you met them, but someone who, once they’ve walked into your life, you can’t ever imagine your life without them in it ever again.)

And with Zach/Cammie, and how Cammie recognises that Zach knows all these things she doesn't, she knows that in their trade, that in espionage, some things are better kept hidden, and that some things you don't want to overhear but have to be told. But!!!!!! How this doesn't stop her from getting frustrated, punching and fighting when she needs to; it doesn't lend her a disadvantage because she knows things and she is smart and awesome in all the ways that Zach can't be. And because it is reinforced over and over again that she also has her mum and Bex and Macey and Liz and her sisterhood, and she would not trade them to know all the secrets in the world.

Ok.

Continuing with Zach and Cammie I guess, and how their relationship is portrayed where women are their equals, if not better than their male counterparts (!!!!!!!! Gallagher Academy is a school that was founded on one lady's protest that girls could be better fighters, better spies than men – like, what more do you want?????). Where women are the strong ones but how they're also weak. Where men are the strong ones but how they're also weak. Because it is wrong to say that just because you are a boy or girl or anywhere on the gender spectrum, that doesn't define what you are supposed to ~~feel~ or be. And like, Zach? Keep treating your girlfriend (??? girlfriend?? I don't know, it's complicated) like an equal. It's really hot.

And Zach, but probably more Hale to an extent, especially in Double Crossed, both know that they're dating queens of the world. (And they also wouldn’t have it any other way.)

And there isn't an instance in any of these series where the girl has to love the guy "for her own good". Or has to love him because he told her so, because there are so many ways that it could’ve gone down this path because omg, “we’re the only two who can keep each other safe,” or something like this. And you know what? This series isn't even about romantic relationships. But about a sisterhood. And how that's all you need. And sometimes you are better off with just your friends and family, because you might become a better person because of it. That it might be healthier to be alone or with no one.

However, that is not to say that the guys aren't great because they are. ALLY CARTER CREATES REALLY REALLY GR8 MALE LOVE INTERESTS. YOU JUST HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE MISSING.

Especially in Double Crossed (lol, I think I was actually supposed to be talking about this in the first place), where Hale and Macey are so ugh, I don't even know. They're so, you can't compare them???? Because they are both different and better at different things. And they argue and no one really comes out the wiser. I don't know how to explainnnnnnn. There's banter and suspicion, weaponising beauty and sexuality on both sides which is my fave. But also a lot of battling of the wits and who is better at all this covert operations stuff, and it's just so funny and excellent it makes me want to cry.

But, I just want everyone to read these books.

Just - don't let the first book of the Gallagher Girls series put you off the rest!!! I pity those who do not read Gallager Girls after "I'd Tell You I'd Love You, but then I'd have to Kill You." It's the weakest link in the chain and probably the weakest plot-wise imo, but also one that can't be not read. As I said before, these characters get so much love because all these books develop them and because they all grow and learn and things change and they have to deal with it. And sometimes it's incredibly sad but they manage. Because girls, especially teenage girls, are not the weak ones.

Sigh.

Just.

Women everywhere.
Profile Image for alittlebitbookish.
150 reviews1 follower
September 3, 2021
“Who is that?” Macey asked.
“The reason I wasn’t flirting with you.” Hale told her.
Ok. But like. In all seriousness Macey and Hale is the dynamic duo I didn’t know I needed🤣
Alsoooooo Ally Carter, if you see this, can I have a spin-off series with all the characters from the gallagher girls series and the heist society series? Please and thank you.??
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,132 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.