Start by marking “Run, Clarissa, Run” as Want to Read:
Run, Clarissa, Run

Run, Clarissa, Run

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Life in a small town can be tough when you're a little different, but for a fifteen year old transgender kid it can truly be hell. Clark is harassed daily at school for his effeminate behavior and appearance. He has no friends and a brother that is as likely to be on the teasing as to prevent it. When Clark is offered a job babysitting for the Pirella family, it seems like ...more
Published November 2012 by Rachel Eliason (first published August 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Run, Clarissa, Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run, Clarissa, Run

Emy
Run, Clarissa, Run is the story of the eponymous Clarissa, a young transgendered woman who is coming out to her family, and friends, and the rest of the world.

Okay, so I really wanted to like this novel, and I really tried. In the end, however, there were just way too many problems for me to be able to overlook.

Firstly, there's Clarissa herself. Or Clark, as she's been known from birth. I found it weird how the third person narrative switched between calling her Clarissa and Clark. I can see why
Jenni Frencham
Clarissa is a transgender teen who has been raised as a boy named Clark. [For the sake of consistency and simplicity, I am choosing to refer to Clarissa by her chosen name and preferred gender, regardless of her gender presentation.] Clarissa is constantly teased at school, often violently so, and is misunderstood by her mother, her brother, even her therapist. After some unfortunate incidents involving the father of a family for whom Clarissa babysits, Clarissa decides to run away to Bangkok wh ...more
Mike
Wart Hill
Oct 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, to-review
0 stars.

this was so disappointing
Kelly
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down. Read it in one sitting.
Lucie Paris
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A few years ago, I was touched by the transgender issues while reading "Almost Perfect" by Brian Katcher. So after reading the synopsis of "Run, Clarissa, Run", I wanted to dive into the life of Clark / Clarissa.
And what a life! I was not disappointed at all. The author takes you on a whirlwind of emotions.

At the beginning, the reader follows Clark is the way he is challenged, constantly bullied by his comrades in high school. Called by awful names, including homosexual, his integration is diff
Lolita
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it

honestly it is my first book about transgender. I found the book very amusing. the title really fit the book. i felt like I've been running all away with Clarissa.

i felt there is some kind of similarity with Catch Me If You Can running.

i found the whole run is amusing. once i start reading i couldn't stop. the characters or the personas of Clark are well painted- actually great painted. i got to know her feelings.

I really sympathized with Clark. I love the karma Idea.

my only critic was the fact
April
I received a copy free through Goodreads First Reads.

Wow what a fantastic book!! The story was perfectly paced and the characters were fabulous!! Clarissa was not only engaging but also heartwarming. This was my first read about a transgender character and it was amazing.

I loved the whole concept and I think it depicts much of what these teens face today. the bullying was something that any teen could relate to and the author did a great job of making it real but not too real. This book does a g
Michael Mardel
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Run, Clarissa, Run by Eliason is a feel-good story that would make a good movie. It's Eliason's story as a teenager and how she would have preferred to be like the main character. She has Clark exploring his gender and I waited with bated breath for her to try on a woman's clothes where she was babysitting. Clarissa is given the gift of mending computers which came from the male parent. She turns this on him and fulfils her dream of surgery. Her mother is shown as someone who won't talk about Cl ...more
Isaiah
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
To see the full review check out http://mibookreviews.wordpress.com/20...

I was torn on this book, but the author was able to dissuade most of my worries about the book before I had given up. I am impressed by that skill in authors.

The plot went from typical YA novel to ridiculous and unexpected. Give it a read when you want to read something new instead of a book written by a formula.
Joan
It was okay. A little too far-fetched with the 'whizz-kid computer expert' stuff and SPaG needed better editing. I also got increasingly annoyed with the constant references to how rubbish Windows is. It might be, but at times the story read like something a rival company might post. It was enough to have me pulled out of the story.
Jordan Long
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I absolutely.loved this book. It gave me a better understanding of what transgendered/transexuals go through. It made me laugh and cry. I rooted for Clarissa, and loved how strong and passionate she was.
Wendell Hennan
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While being gay myself, I have struggled the past several years with trials, emotions and struggles faced by trans people. I was pleased to see their plight begin to receive greater understanding and acceptance but was still guilty of thinking to myself that there was just too much drama around their lives.

I now better understand the constant inner battle/desire/knowledge that these people struggle with for years until they find a way to begin their transition. This story is one of the strongest
Lovinghotbooks
A very entertaining story

Clark is transgender and has known since he was four that he wants to be a women. But the world does not go easy on people not following the “normal” path so he takes drastic steps to follow his dream of being Clarissa.

I liked this book very much and it’s a book that I believe can give young people struggling with similar life challenges a hope and something to dream about. This is my personal opinion and I have no connections to the LGBT community, I have only my life e
F.K.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Well paced with a likeable main character who suffers from a horrible amount of bullying and discrimination - it's always good to read a book that doesn't shy away from the reality of this. As a reader you root for Clarissa and wish for the people in her life to wake up and understand what she is going through to alleviate some of her isolation and sadness.
I have to admit I struggled with the pronoun switches in the third person narrative however, in places it made sense but at other times it fe
TransBookReviews
Jul 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wish I could say I was pleasantly surprised but…unfortunately it lived down to my worst expectations. - Arthur

I just don’t understand why the narrative didn’t go from using “he” to “she” once Clarissa came out as transgender, instead treating Clarissa as another personality that was taking over. - Laura

You can read our full review here
Melanie Ann Ellery
RUN CLARISSA RUN

VERY GOOD BOOK. THE ONLY DRAWBACK I FOUND WAS THE AMOUNT OF GRAMMATICAL ERRORS IN THIS STORY, BUT WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM A AMAZON FREE BOOK. I CAN ALSO SYMPATHIZE WITH THE AUTHOR BEING ABLE TO WRITE AT ALL. I LEARNED IN HER BIO THAT SHE IS ADHD ADULT.SO IT MUST BE HARD TO BE A WRITER WITH THAT LEVEL OF FOCUS. BUT SHE DOES AND I COULD FROM READING THIS STORY THAT IT WAS INDEED A VERY PERSONAL ONE. WELL DONE.

Dalal Naoum
Could be better

Good story for the most part, but it clearly wasn't edited by a professional. There are a lot of grammar and spelling errors as well as odd jumps between scenes. Half of the book is characters explaining the plot to us, and they all have the same voice, which gets pretty old.

I like the story, though, and would've given more stars I'd it was tighter and had less errors.
Robin Leake
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner!

The pace was great, the characters real, relatable. The action authentic. I was riveted from beginning to end. I wanted to know what was going to happen all the way.
4/5 because, the typos annoyed me. But the story was fantastic
Ashya
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended reading

Loved it! My only gripe is that the book doesn't seem incredibly well formatted on Kindle. But the story is very well written and interesting enough that it barely bothered me at all.
moxieBK
Run, Clarissa, Run – Rachel Eliason (20 chapters)

Reading transgender YA stories are typical very hard on me, the youth involved are usually bullied; adults don’t tend to understand the minds of transgenders; and the stories end up with no HEA. That's probably why I ended up not reading this for quite awhile after I downloaded this book.

That's not to say that this book is bad. (Aside: There are typos and wrong word choices here, but I suggest readers read the disclaimer and foreword at the begin
Madison Parker
Clark remembers wanting to be a woman as early as age four. Wanting isn't really the right word. He feels like he already is female on the inside. His teenage years have been a nightmare—no one understands him or takes him seriously when he tries to talk about being transgender. He doesn't think of himself as a he at all. He thinks of himself as Clarissa, a female.

There was one passage in particular that really affected me and helped my understanding of transgender people in general. In that pas
Gabriel Mar
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
ai que nota horrorosa. e to bem triste por dar um grau dão baixo para um livro com temática trans. mas é a vida.
a história é interessante, a premissa é bacana, até porque se não fosse eu não teria escolhido ele para ler.
mas o desenvolvimento é fraco, os personagens são um oceano de estereótipos que falam estereótipos e fazem estereótipos, com a exceção de um em especial que me confunde por talvez ser o maior clichê do mundo ou talvez ser uma criatura altamente complexa. de qualquer forma, não de
Thimble
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA questioning their sexuality or trying to understand a LGBT friend.
Recommended to Thimble by: Goodreads book list
You don't see a lot of main characters who are brilliant computer hackers, at least not without kicking a hornet's nest. This was refreshing. The fact that she's transgender does not make her any less female.

This book has several strong subplots. It is a graphic description of how "different" kids are treated in High School - whether the difference is sexual orientation or something else. I hope that this particular school does a rather poorer job of handling it than others, but I bet it's prett
Mike
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is only the second novel I've read with a transgendered character, and I really enjoyed becoming invested in the heroine's story. It leaves me wanting more literature representing the fascinating (and too often struggling, if my friends' experiences are any indication) stories of our community who are too often overlooked or facing struggles few of us realize or immediately understand.

The writing, plot and characters were basic and not overly enticing, and there werew a handful of minor err
Malynda McCarrick
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
To me, this was a story about overcoming adversity and conquering the bullies in the world on your own terms...but that's only a small portion of the big picture. Ms. Eliason tackles this issue on a grand scale, taking the reader on an International voyage of revenge, self discovery, rebirth and ultimate happiness. Though a lot of the techno-speak was way over my head, I enjoyed the story and found myself cheering on the efforts of Clark/Clarissa and his/her small "army" of misunderstood and mis ...more
January MAxwell
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WELL I HAVE RECENTLY REALIZED THAT I AM A TRANSGENDER WOMEN I HAVE BEEN ON HORMONES FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS NOW I FORGOT HOW MUCH I LOVE TO READ SO WHEN A FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT THIS BOOK I THOUGHT ID GIVE IT A TRY

AND WHEN I SAY I COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN I MEAN THAT I FELT SO CLOSE TO THIS story NOT ONLY BECAUSE ME AND CLARISSA/Clark where the same but also becomes the author of the book is a trans woman like me

The story line was amazing it had love hate theft heartbreak and the struggle of rea
Rebecca
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: t-and-lgb
I'll start by saying that overall I did quite like the book. I couldn't put it down. However, the story is rather far-fetched, to put it mildly. The formatting is also terrible, and the text is filled with grammatical errors. If I were still a closeted and scared 15 year old trans girl, I'd probably have loved it. Instead, as a 31-year-old-mostly-closeted-still-scared trans girl, I merely liked the book.

i will say that my interest in computers and Linux has been partly rekindled. So there's a p
Elizabeth Kieta
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really really liked this book. My only problem was THERE WERE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS!!! Ugh, it drove me BONKERS. And another thing I didn't care for was it jumped around from person to person. The story was completely written in third person, but it would jump from one person's mind and thoughts to another within three pages. It was almost like, I'd really get into the story, then it would switch characters and it'd be a different day completely. Kind of annoying. But highly recommended! It just ...more
Lindsey
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great storyline, horrible grammar

Eliason presents a heartfelt story about a teen who has to suffer through not only the everyday trials of adolescence (as if that wasn't enough), but more soberly the physical and emotional abuse of being transgender and transitioning. The book is an easy and interesting read, but I found myself cringing at careless grammar mistakes on nearly every page! A good first draft, but the author would benefit to hire an editor!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Happy Families
  • The New Boy
  • Jumpstart the World
  • The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
  • Whiskey Dreams (Sleepy Hollow, #1)
  • She's My Dad
  • Meeting Chance
  • Debbie Harry Sings in French
Rachel Eliason is a transgender woman and writer. Ms. Eliason is both a writer and a fan of deeply immersive science fiction and fantasy novels. She loves to share with her fans the worlds she is creating, and the ones she is discovering. Her contemporary YA work is published as Rachel Eliason and her Science Fiction and Fantasy work is under R. J. Eliason.
More about Rachel Eliason

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)