Start by marking “Shortcuts (Other Places, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shortcuts (Other Places, #1)

Shortcuts

(Other Places #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  473 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Nothing is as you think.

Fifteen years ago a young boy was stolen from his home in Wisconsin, coming back sixteen months later with no memory of what happened. It was a traumatic event that left him insane, but functional. If barely.

Now, Zack Hartley has to find a job or face starvation as the Christmas season approaches, which leads him to take a very special shortcut thro
Published December 3rd 2012 by Orange Cat Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Shortcuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shortcuts

DJay
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this was one of those stories that seemed to be about a crazy guy trying not to be crazy. Overall it was quite humorous. Zack is a guy who had some insane stuff happen to him only to find out at the end that it wasn't an accident. And the craziest part about all of this is the fact that he's perfectly ok with everything that has happened. Zack has a split personality. The funny thing is that his second personality seems to know more about him than Zack does. His second personality also seems ...more
Mel
Oct 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I did not finish the book. Even in a fantastic story, I look for a fixed point in reality to anchor the story and did not feel that I found it here. Even if the major plot twist is that everything I thought was wrong, I want stories to have anchors. The summary on this site offers it, but the text does not.
Paps
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Enteretaining book, as the other version of it in alternative places this one has all the good aspects of the other, it just that the character here is a little more dull, but great build up of the supernatural community and their interactive relationships. Great pletora of characters and the diversity of them.
Dena
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75* Unusual but I liked it!
Robert
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite PS Power series! Great story and character development. I couldn't put it down.
Wolfgarr
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
P.S. Power seems to enjoy writing about terminally flawed characters. He also seems to enjoy writing about characters who are quite obsessed with sex. The constant whining of the main character gets old quite quickly. This series isn't nearly as bad though as the authors other series "The Young Ancients" when it comes down to the main character acting like someone from a mental institution. Sadly though if you have read "The Young Ancients" you can pretty much say you have read this series also. ...more
Discfan2
John
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Shortcuts. A different view of Keeley's world was done well. The characters were much more varied than Keeley's. I liked the better insight of the other races in the world and their cultures. Of course having Keeley show up was an added bonus. She was great example of the different power levels in this world.

I would strongly recommend it for any Power's fans or to just about any readers that enjoy occult stories!
Rose Mclaughlin
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not as good

I unfortunately read the first three books of alternate places,which are a revamp of this story. I will say that they are a 5 star compared to this,p.s Powell did amazing job rewriting it and the Zack Hartley character is different but not too much. I will read they other two books just to see the difference compared to the better written version. but I won't reveiw them it won't be fair since I am biased.
Nicole
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed-kindles
I was lent this book by a fellow book reader who correctly guessed I would enjoy it. I loved the original plot of the line walker and the mostly lighthearted tone reminded me of the Betsy the Vampire Queen series. This is the first book I've read by Mr. Powers but after reading this book and the review referencing his other books I think I'll add some more of his books to my collection.
Kelley
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, urban-fantasy
Shortcuts is my favorite book set in Keeley's world. Zack is my favorite character in the set of books. He is so awkward almost always telling the truth and so different from any idea of a hero. But he works as an unexpected hero because he cares for the people around him.
Elspeth
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Mmmm cheesy cheese.

Book junk food, cant read just one!
Del
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Zack's first book. Great
Issa
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
I really enjoyed this book. I found it a little odd at first, but I was drawn in and very engaged.
Rachel
**** downgraded to *** because of the lack of editing. This is listed as the first in series, but it jumps into a world without any backstory beyond the back cover blurb. The setting frequently changes without much description, so it can be hard to follow at times.
david bernstein
Tiffani Brunson
Apr 15, 2016
Ray
Jan 02, 2013
  • Gabriel (The Infected, #2)
  • The Rebel Prince
  • Work Experience (Schooled in Magic, #4)
  • Charmed I'm Sure (Pax Arcana #0.01)
  • The Sorcerer's Destiny (The Sorcerer's Path, #8)
  • Reborn: Devil's Blood (Reborn, #4)
  • The Bathrobe Knight (The Bathrobe Knight, #1)
  • Firecracker
  • The Schism (The Broken Prism, #4)
  • The Road to Magic (The Way of the Demon Series, #1)
  • Claimed  (Doctor's Orders, #4)
  • The Human Race to the Future: What Could Happen - and What to Do [2014 edition]
  • Peter and the Elven Songs (War of Contractia, #2)
  • Demon's Doorway (Damned and Cursed, #4)
  • Kidnapped
  • Texas Hold 'Em (Chance Lee, #2)
  • Magician: The Key to Magic II
  • The Ancient Ones (Legacy, #3)
P.S. Power works in fiction, mainly focusing on Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror genres, with brief forays into other things just to keep life interesting. He averages 1 to 2 books monthly and has several series going. He lives in an isolated cabin in the middle of nowhere, as a recluse, yet still manages to find time to talk to people online, in a positive and delightful manner. Not one of tho ...more

Other Places (3 books)
  • Road Blocks (Other Places, #2)
  • Detours (Other Places, #3)