Start by marking “Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)” as Want to Read:
Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)

Never Marry a Cowboy

(Rogues in Texas #3)

In his arms she found the greatest joy she'd ever known . . . but his heart belonged to another. Can her love make their marriage real before their time together ends—forever?
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published February 6th 2001 by Avon (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Never Marry a Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Marry a Cowboy

willaful
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of tearjerkers
David Robertson’s sister Ashton is dying of consumption, and he yearns to make her last dreams come true, by finding her a husband and giving her a wedding day. He couldn’t have known what a cruel favor this would be to ask of his friend, Fortune, Texas Marshall Kit Montgomery, who has already experienced what it’s like to watch a beloved woman die. But when Kit gets to know Ashton, he feels compelled to grant her dying wish, even knowing that he risks losing everything once again.

Saying that a
Katrina Passick Lumsden
It's pretty common for each book in a series to slowly dip down in quality as things progress, and the rogues series is apparently no exception. These characters were... Well, nothing extraordinary. Ashton totters dangerously close to Mary Sue territory, Kit is the stereotypically tortured hunk with a dark secret, and the two of them never did much for me. The story was plodding and anticlimactic, and Ashton's "illness" not only made little sense, it made little appearance, which left me unable ...more
Julianna
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Western Historical Romance; Beta Heroes
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Thus far, I’ve loved everything I’ve read by Lorraine Heath, and Never Marry a Cowboy is no exception. It was a wonderful wrap-up to the Rogues in Texas, and my favorite of the series. This final book features, Kit Montgomery, the last of the three English nobleman friends who were sent to Texas to earn their way. Grayson and Harrison each lost their hearts in turn to Texas ladies in the first two books of the series, but Kit has vowed never to love again. The one time he
Tonya Lucas
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a conclusion to a great series. Lorraine Heath has a remarkable gift of writing straight from her heart right into the reader's soul. Ms. Heath can literally bring her readers to tears with her astounding storylines and plots. But not all tears are gut wrenching, some are tears of joy and redemption.
Kit Montgomery left England to come to Texas due to an unfortunate circumstance and his dad's demands, which all still haunt him to this day. A true rogue, unwilling to become a family man, he's
Glenda Kinard
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great book by Lorraine Heath. How much pain can one man bare? Kit Montgomery is about to find out. Ashton has one wish before she dies and that is to be married to Kit. A wonderful book that lets you know miracles do really happen and true love really does exist. Highly recommend this book
June
Bad boy aritocrat Kit Montgomery sent from England by his father turns good guy sheriff with a soft spot for Ashton. Sweet love story with a secondary surprise romance wrapped into the story. This book is pretty emotional, but I can't really go into any of it without ruining the plot. Several things happen in this book that I have not ever heard of in a historical romance.

On my Nook!
Barbara
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one although it was obvious what the outcome would be. The characters are so deep especially Ashton, not your typical heroine.
Christine
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
None of the books in this series did much for me, to be honest, especially this last one. I thought Kit was a reasonably complex character, but the heroine stood out to me so much that I can't recall her name. She was dying of consumption, apparently, although she never seemed sick, and in the end, I didn't understand either diagnosis or prognosis. She never became anything to me except a dying woman I knew perfectly well wasn't going to die because it's an HEA romance. I don't understand why sh ...more
Danette Steward
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book for me so far this year (2012). Amazing love story. This series reminded me of Jodi Thomas' Wife Lottery series....but with more sex ;) Highly recommend.
Mara Rose
Megan Lavey-Heaton
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book went from being one that I really enjoyed to one that I felt was merely OK. I feel like the author ran out of story about 3/4s the way through the required page count and added in the romantic subplot for the hero's twin brother to fill it out - which really deserved a book on its own. That's the biggest issue this story has. This could have easily been two entirely separate books - or at least a novel and a novella - but instead they were mashed into one, and each main storyline lost ...more
sandy forguson
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an enchanting story kit had so much guilt over Clarissa dying then Ashton comes into his life with consumption they faced so many trials the story keeps you turning the pages hoping against hope that all will work out between them would highly recommend any of ma heath’s books as they always leave you with wanting more 👍👍👍
Kazia
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked Ashton. Her physical weakness allowed her to be taken care of and pampered, and it was refreshing to read of a damsel being pampered. Their reconciliation and acceptance of each other dragged on though.
Rs
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25
A decent read
Veda
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kit Montgomery is finally getting his story told. He has been a secondary character in two books and now gets to tell his story. His story started in a direction I wasn't expecting and continued that way all the way through his story.
Ashton Robertson was a vague character in "A Rogue in Texas" and I was very surprised when she showed up in this book with Kit.
In learning her story and slowly learning more about Kit, the journey wasn't smooth and the reasons for that came from both of their past
Hanah  Tahir
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My god this is very romantic!

I didn't cry, but it was a moving story... and I was touched at every part of the story!

I was saddened, almost cried, laughed, and giggled for this book!

I highly recommend this!

I love Kit! He's a cowboy and a rake. but I love and adore him too much! He just has this sort of charm and tenderness that make you want to grab him out of the book and make him yours. I think he and Ashton very well deserves each other! I am glad to see a heroine that is described as "et
J Jares
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goodness! This is such a beautiful ending to a stellar series! I simply could not put this book aside.

Kit has been sent to Texas by his father because Kit is in love with his brother's wife. Before he leaves, she dies of cancer. Kit carries a tremendous amount of guilt about his love for Clarissa and her death.

Kit is now the marshal of Fortune, Texas. A close friend asks Kit to marry his sister who is dying of consumption (tuberculosis) and will be dead in a few months. The brother, David, knows
moi
Wow! this story just blew me away.. It was just perfect.. Christian was just amazing and I just fell for him hard. On the other hand Ashton was the least fav heroine in the series.. other two were much stronger characters.

When I started the series.. I loved Gray, his simplicity just pulled you like a magnet and I loved the fact he reconciled with his father and all he accomplished.

Then came Harry.. he charmed you with his easy charm and wit. I was glad he met his match in Jesse. but he was not s
Julie
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the last of this Rogues in Texas western series, but I found it still lacked the oomph of her Texas Destiny series which I adored. This western romance is the story of young girl who is believed to be dying of consumption. Her brother, wishing to grant her last wish, asks the town of Fortune's (now) sheriff, Kit Montgomery to marry her in name only so that she can have a nice wedding day to remember until the day she dies. After much hesitation, based on his history with his brother's de ...more
RebeccaL
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
I love the hero in this book. He is one of the most honourable hero I have ever read. Unfortunately the heroine kind of let me down. I had read other reviews that when the heroine found out the "dark secret" from the hero, her actions was very disappointing. When the dark secret first reviewed, I kind of understand the action of the heroine as the hero hasn't clarified the reasons of his action but in too much guilt that he told her that he was a murderer. At that point I was almost hoping that ...more
Dawn
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heath-lorraine
Lucy Qhuay
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Incredibly romantic souls; People who like to suffer
Gosh, I am so not myself right now because I spent a lot of time crying while reading this book!
Everybody should read Never Marry A Cowboy!
I love everything about it!
The hero, Christian 'Kit' Montgomery is divine! He's sinfully seductive, amazingly clever, gentle and caring and incredibly tortured.
How he suffered with his past and then, with Ashton and her situation! Just heartbreaking! :(
And Ashton was also a great heroine! She was really frail and delicate but, yet, strong and spirited. I do
Maura
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This story was well written but left me feeling like the conclusion was too easy. It was like what was all the fuss about if this was how your going to resolve the main focus of every problem that moved the story.
What I liked: Setting. Old West town with our hero as sheriff. The marriage of convenience trope was fun with all the tension and angst that develops. This was part of a series and I have read a couple of them but this book can stand alone.
Would I recommend? Well, if you like this auth
Amy
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what I would think of this book. Especially as I read the beginning portion. However it got better as the book progresses and was a nice easy simple read. It had its plot twists of course and they were very interesting and entertaining. I read the series out of order, having read the fourth book prior to this. I appreciate the authors endeavors to make sure that reading them out of order doesn't spoil the plot of the previous books. As matter fact she makes you want to go back and ...more
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
In book three of the Rogues series, Lorraine Heath pairs the last rogue, Kit Montgomery, with a woman who is dying. Because of his experiences as the second son in England, he feels compelled to make the last days of Ashton's life memorable. Much drama ensues. This book is not quite as good as the first two, but it's still worth the time. As a bonus we get to meet the "first son and heir" Christopher Montgomery toward the end of the book.
Monica
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, western
I really liked the fact that the author went into so much detail and shed light on the way some people feel when they know that death is at their door, before this book i hadn't put any thought into how people that are dying, and their families, feel towards the end. i wish the book and more details about the characters themselves and how their love developed. But overall i would recommend this book
Harim (The Reader Blog)
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Then grow old with me."
“And if I can’t?”
He released a wistful sigh.
“Grow a moment older with me. An hour older. A day. A week. Just don’t leave me until you absolutely must.”

Lorraine Heath never disappoints.
She just knows how to rip you apart with words!
I really really really liked this one.
Loved Ashton's character.. And there were moments where she made me cry so much. But God I am so glad and thankful for the HEA!
Lise Nanette
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best is yet to come

The first two stories in this series were incredibly well crafted with characters that made you feel everything they were feeling. This final tale satisfies as they did, with the added bonus of a taste of hope beyond the mundane. I recommend all three tales, as they will be on my read again and again list!
Roub
Nov 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
the book had great potential but failed miserably. i was horribly bored! i expected some high angst and intense emotions. i wanted christian to play the tormented soul to bits as his brother got the woman he loved and even married her. instead, he was absolutely sweet and adorable to ashton. it really does not do to render the novel exciting!
Kathy Anne
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Reread

I really liked this book,the Hero is a true Alpha but with a sweetness that makes him perfect for the h.His mostly pleasant ,upbeat personality is somewhat different from what I`m reading lately for both H/h.
It doesn`t paint a very pretty picture of the part of Texas it`s set in tho but of course the H helps to make it better for settlers

• The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • Love According to Lily (American Heiresses, #4)
  • Chasing the Sun (Blood Rose, #3)
  • Sing My Name
  • Rachel and the Hired Gun (Men of Defiance Book 1)
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • The Marriage Bed
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin

Rogues in Texas (3 books)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
“his way across the slanted roof over the” 0 likes