Start by marking “7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness” as Want to Read:
7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness

7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness

(7 Biographies)

In Seven Men, New York Times best-selling author Eric Metaxas presents seven exquisitely crafted short portraits of widely known—but not well understood—Christian men, each of whom uniquely showcases a commitment to live by certain virtues in the truth of the gospel.

Written in a beautiful and engaging style, Seven Men addresses what it means (or should mean) to be a man t
Published April 29th 2013 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about 7 Men, please sign up.

Start your review of 7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness
South Asia
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seven Men by Eric Metaxas

A great book that makes multiple points about a few heroic Christian men that lived unselfish lives or had moments of unselfishness, risking much for the great benefit of many. The seven short biographies are written with great depth and make this book a fascinating read. I read parts on my own and my wife read parts to me while I was driving and we both greatly enjoyed it.

George Washington - gave up being a king or at least greatly idolized leader for the sake of the fo
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adult Christians
Recommended to Sarah by: Alicia Willis
2020
I really enjoyed reading this book again. The people in this story are well worth remembering.

2016 Review
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 15 and up

Alicia Willis recommended this book to me a while back, and I have wanted to read it ever since. She and I share a passion for our faith and history, and she knew this book was something I would love.

Metaxas picked some well-known and some not well known people in this book, but each of them were chosen for their faith. While I have re
Alicia Willis
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eric Metaxas has done it again! This book is wonderfully written, inspiring, and educational. I loved the stories of each of the seven men depicted, particularly as they all came from very different backgrounds and heritages. The lives of Washington, Wilberforce, Liddell, Bonhoeffer, Robinson, Pope John Paul II, and Colson are presented, offering a inspirational, yet brief look into their histories.

For those of you who read Amazing Grace and Bonhoeffer, Metaxas does cover Wilberforce and Bonhoef
Jimmy
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Metaxas calls the reader to explore the definition of manhood. The subject of manhood is explored from the Bible's perspective and contrasted with our society's definition of manhood.

The book calls to attention two definitions of manhood (both of which are incorrect). The "macho" man is the first one discussed and it is soon realized that a man who is all talk, and strong enough to push you around is not really a man but a bully.

The next definition is the emasculated man. This man has had his ma
Matthew Huff
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Metaxas is such a great writer, and this collection of biographies was engaging and exciting. I certainly recommend for a quick, yet robust read.
Amy

I don't get it. I should have loved this book. I thoroughly enjoyed Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy and Seven Women: And the Secret of Their Greatness. Maybe it was the audio book format?

I picked up Seven Men for my younger brother and I to listen to in the car. I assumed it would present him with some more role models and maybe re-introduce some familiar faces to me at the same time. From the start, though, we were both thoroughly annoyed. Metaxas spends way too much time des
Matt
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A seven CD audiobook that biographically details the lives of 7 men and their faith in God. Including: George Washington, Jackie Robinson, Chuck Colson, Pope John Paul 2 and 3 others. If this were a book I would not have been able to finish it. Not a favorite.
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The only problem I have with this book is that each biography is brief enough to have me looking through Metaxas' bibliography to read more about his subjects.

Not that Metaxas does an incomplete job writing about these great men but because he whets your appetite.

These men are probably not going to be considered the greatest men by many and maybe some of them shouldn't but I appreciated the author's reasons for including them.

While Mr. Metaxas honestly shows the foibles of each man he shows that
Frank McEwen
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, concise biography of 7 great men of history. These men served The Lord well and faithfully and it was a blessing to get to learn more about them. It was a great book for me because I’m super ADD, and you learned a good deal about each one in a short amount of reading. Overall a delightful book. I will recommend to all my friends.
David Steele
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Spy by Eric Metaxas stands head and shoulders above most biographies. Indeed, it is one of the best biographies I have ever read. The new work by Metaxas, Seven Men and the Secret of Their Greatness is filled with the rich historical detail that readers have grown accustomed to from the author.

Metaxas sets out to survey the lives of seven men; men who have influenced his life - men he considers to be great. The seven men that the author presents include the following:
Patrick O'Hannigan
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
The title of this book is a bit misleading, because Eric Metaxas makes no secret of what motivated these seven illustrious men to greatness: The unifying thread among them is a functioning moral compass anchored in a strong Christian faith -- and that much is clear from the introduction, before a reader even delves into the mini biographies.

It's nice to see George Washington, Jackie Robinson, and Pope John Paul II -- already and deservedly role models in many eyes -- sharing the book with admira
Eric Siewert
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Awful writing. Some of the worst I've bothered sticking with. Interesting choice of men and good stories, told poorly. I regret that it's sold as well as it has. Don't read. ...more
Chip
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you’re looking for the brilliance of Bonhoeffer, keep looking.
Lena Morrison
I do my reviews in the form of a letter, which is why they are written like this.

Dear Eric Metaxas,

Thank you for writing this book. It technically got a 3.42, since I averaged the score that all the biographies got individually. I did the like the intro, and I must admit that in many ways what you say is true. We have lost sight of who heroes are. I will rate each biography individually.

George Washington
His life was nice, but I was mostly bored. It seems like we are wrong in our usual lege
Julie Davis
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Rickey asked Jackie if he was up to the job, he wasn't talking only about playing great baseball. He knew Jackie could do that. What he meant, he explained, was that if Jackie were to become major-league baseball's first black player, he would be in for a tremendous amount of abuse, both verbal and physical.

Jackie said he was sure he could face up to whatever came his way. He wasn't afraid of anyone and had been in any number of fistfights over the years when anyone had challenged him.

But R
Joseph R.
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What makes a man great? This question challenges most people, especially today when the idea of a masculine role model is generally frowned upon, if not completely ignored because masculinity is supposed to be toxic. Such an assumption is based on false examples of manhood--the bully, the egoist, the muscle man, etc. Eric Metaxas argues that positive role models of manhood do exist and are important to culture (not just ours, but any culture). Examples of how to behave are sorely needed in an ag ...more
Gail Welborn
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
***addresses what it means (or should mean) to be a man today***

Award winning author Eric Metaxas, features snapshot biographies of great heroes and role models of the past in Seven Men and the secret of their Greatness. These inspiring, trustworthy men modeled strength of character, authentic manhood and fatherhood for many generations. However, “that has changed in recent years,” writes Metaxas, “with troubling results.” Our culture today is in a “crisis of manhood in the absence of men of vir
John Boyne
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I loved this book! Eric does an excellent job of providing brief biographies on 7 key figures in history who represented Christ to their fullest and changed the world forever as a result of their faith and convictions. The 7 men (he does 7 women in another book) were George Washington, William Wilberforce, Eric Liddell, Dietrich Bonheffer, Jackie Robinson, Pope John Paul II, and Chuck Colson. Each man sacrificed his life to serve Christ and left a lasting legacy for generations to come. It has i ...more
Ken
Dec 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a lot for me to not even make it past the introduction of a book, but, Metaxas found a way with some of the most deplorably regressive prose I've seen in a while. By the time he was oozing condescension and insulting the intelligence of his own readers, I was only reading to see if I needed to burn the book or to just put it down.

This dude totally votes for Trump, probably runs a super PAC
Rob
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love everything Metaxas writes and this book is no exception. If you want to be inspired by some truly great men and learn how each of them was driven, inspired, and strengthened by their faith in God, then this book will suit you well.
Melinda
Very worthwhile. I'm especially appreciative for the chapter on George Washington, who is one of the greatest men in our history.

Very recommended!
Tim Dietrich
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoy biographies, but I typically have difficulty reading a 1000 page tome about the life of one person. Reading about these 7 great men in a short 200 page book was refreshing and enjoyable. Eric Metaxas is an engaging and easy to read author. I will be looking for more of his work on the book shelves in the future.
W. Derek Atkins
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seven Men of Courage

This book, written by Eric Metaxas, is a wonderful celebration of the lives of seven men who each left an indelible mark on the world, from George Washington and William Wilberforce to Jackie Robinson and Pope John Paul II.

By Metaxas' own admission, the seven men whom he chose to include in this book was done in a subjective manner, and was based on his own opinions of those men whose lives he considers to be instructive for learning how to live out our own lives - including
Kirsten McLean
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I enjoyed learning about the incredible stories of each of these men. Whoever I didn't love the writing style. There was too much intro to each character and I wish their accomplishments were further explained and explored. Overall inspiring! ...more
Joshua
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eric Metaxas does it again with another well written and well researched biography (Although it's about several men, not just one, mind you). The only disappointment in the book was the fact that the biographies about the seven individual men always seemed too short! Metaxes' message of patriotism, courage, and taking a stand for Christ, ring true. The seven men Metaxes choose are all true men to look up too. They are all flawed, but heroes nonetheless. Isn't it just like God to take the flaws o ...more
Jeremy Zilkie
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Metaxas and his biographies and this collection of 7 smaller biographies called "7 Men" was another great read. I chose to read this book to the family after dinner and it worked great for that purpose since each bio is split into clearly defined sections. The children loved the introduction given to the seven men and it also provided some wonderful teaching opportunities for life in general and also relating to their growing faiths in Jesus Christ.

Highly recommend the book and al
Thadeus
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, biography, own
This book did an outstanding job of introducing seven men from recent history who led lives that were quite amazing! I had known a little about each of them prior to reading the book, but I came away with a greater awareness of their lives and the purpose that drove them.

The men included are:

George Washington
William Wilberforce
Eric Liddell
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Jackie Robinson
Pope John Paul II
Charles W. Colson

I highly recommend this book to every Christian today. We need to have good examples of wha
Dkovlak
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. The author gives semi-biographies for each of the men he chose. The book serves as a teaser to read complete biographies of each man. The key to each persons "claim to fame," is their reliance on God despite their personal circumstances. The men included were: William Wilberforce, George Washington, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jackie Robinson, Eric Liddell, Pope John Paul 2, and Chuck Colson. Mr. Metaxas can write numerous more sequels in the future focusing on different men. ...more
Thompson
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hmmmm...some of the book was good, some not. Some of the history was decidedly slanted. But my biggest complaint is with the writing. There is far too much interjection of the author's opinions. (E.g., see page 81 of the Thomas Nelson 2015 paperback edition. This page alone drove me crazy.) I prefer authors who state facts and let the readers form their own opinions. If this book were presented in court you would hear repeatedly, "Objection, calls for legal conclusion and assumes facts not in ev ...more
Esther
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring reading! I had heard of each of the seven men but was unaware of what really made them great. For example while Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in pro baseball, his refusal to respond to racial taunts and refusal of service showed him to be a man of strong character. Each of the seven men have a chapter of biography and analysis of what made them great. This would make a good read-aloud book.
Madison Mega-Mara...: 7 Men 1 2 Jul 04, 2015 09:15AM

• Dream Big: Know What You Want, Why You Want It, and What You’re Going to Do About It
  • Jesus Loves Movies: A 30 Day Devotional for Film Fans
  • Holy Sexuality and the Gospel: Sex, Desire, and Relationships Shaped by God's Grand Story
  • C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • What Does the Bible Really Teach about Homosexuality?
  • Beautiful Resistance: The Joy of Conviction in a Culture of Compromise
  • Befriend: Create Belonging in an Age of Judgment, Isolation, and Fear
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Gunslinger: The Remarkable, Improbable, Iconic Life of Brett Favre
  • Letters to the Church
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More—Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist
  • The Logic of God: 52 Christian Essentials for the Heart and Mind
  • All In: You Are One Decision Away From a Totally Different Life
  • Lasting Impact: 7 Powerful Conversations That Will Help Your Church Grow
  • What Good Is God?: In Search of a Faith That Matters
In a decidedly eclectic career, Eric Metaxas has written for VeggieTales, Chuck Colson, Rabbit Ears Productions and the New York Times, four things not ordinarily in the same sentence. He is a best-selling author whose biographies, children’s books, and works of popular apologetics have been translated into more than 25 languages.

7 Biographies (3 books)
  • Seven More Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness
  • Seven Women: And the Secret of Their Greatness

News & Interviews

“...we've gone all the way from foolishly accepting authority to foolishly rejecting all authority.” 8 likes
“If I know something to be true, am I prepared to follow it even though it is contrary to what I want[?]” 2 likes