Start by marking “7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness” as Want to Read:
7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness

7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness

(7 Biographies)

In Seven Men, New York Times best-selling author Eric Metaxas presents seven exquisitely crafted short portraits of widely known—but not well understood—Christian men, each of whom uniquely showcases a commitment to live by certain virtues in the truth of the gospel.

Written in a beautiful and engaging style, Seven Men addresses what it means (or should mean) to be a man
Published April 29th 2013 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about 7 Men, please sign up.

Start your review of 7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness
Eric
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seven Men by Eric Metaxas

A great book that makes multiple points about a few heroic Christian men that lived unselfish lives or had moments of unselfishness, risking much for the great benefit of many. The seven short biographies are written with great depth and make this book a fascinating read. I read parts on my own and my wife read parts to me while I was driving and we both greatly enjoyed it.

George Washington - gave up being a king or at least greatly idolized leader for the sake of the
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 15 and up

Alicia Willis recommended this book to me a while back, and I have wanted to read it ever since. She and I share a passion for our faith and history, and she knew this book was something I would love.

Metaxas picked some well-known and some not well known people in this book, but each of them were chosen for their faith. While I have read books on George Washington, William Wilberforce, Eric Liddell and Dietrich Bonhoeffer, others - Jackie
Alicia Willis
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eric Metaxas has done it again! This book is wonderfully written, inspiring, and educational. I loved the stories of each of the seven men depicted, particularly as they all came from very different backgrounds and heritages. The lives of Washington, Wilberforce, Liddell, Bonhoeffer, Robinson, Pope John Paul II, and Colson are presented, offering a inspirational, yet brief look into their histories.

For those of you who read Amazing Grace and Bonhoeffer, Metaxas does cover Wilberforce and
Matthew Huff
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Metaxas is such a great writer, and this collection of biographies was engaging and exciting. I certainly recommend for a quick, yet robust read.
Jimmy
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Metaxas calls the reader to explore the definition of manhood. The subject of manhood is explored from the Bible's perspective and contrasted with our society's definition of manhood.

The book calls to attention two definitions of manhood (both of which are incorrect). The "macho" man is the first one discussed and it is soon realized that a man who is all talk, and strong enough to push you around is not really a man but a bully.

The next definition is the emasculated man. This man has had his
Matt
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A seven CD audiobook that biographically details the lives of 7 men and their faith in God. Including: George Washington, Jackie Robinson, Chuck Colson, Pope John Paul 2 and 3 others. If this were a book I would not have been able to finish it. Not a favorite.
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The only problem I have with this book is that each biography is brief enough to have me looking through Metaxas' bibliography to read more about his subjects.

Not that Metaxas does an incomplete job writing about these great men but because he whets your appetite.

These men are probably not going to be considered the greatest men by many and maybe some of them shouldn't but I appreciated the author's reasons for including them.

While Mr. Metaxas honestly shows the foibles of each man he shows that
Amy

I don't get it. I should have loved this book. I thoroughly enjoyed Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy and Seven Women: And the Secret of Their Greatness. Maybe it was the audio book format?

I picked up Seven Men for my younger brother and I to listen to in the car. I assumed it would present him with some more role models and maybe re-introduce some familiar faces to me at the same time. From the start, though, we were both thoroughly annoyed. Metaxas spends way too much time
David Steele
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Spy by Eric Metaxas stands head and shoulders above most biographies. Indeed, it is one of the best biographies I have ever read. The new work by Metaxas, Seven Men and the Secret of Their Greatness is filled with the rich historical detail that readers have grown accustomed to from the author.

Metaxas sets out to survey the lives of seven men; men who have influenced his life - men he considers to be great. The seven men that the author presents include the following:
Patrick O'Hannigan
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
The title of this book is a bit misleading, because Eric Metaxas makes no secret of what motivated these seven illustrious men to greatness: The unifying thread among them is a functioning moral compass anchored in a strong Christian faith -- and that much is clear from the introduction, before a reader even delves into the mini biographies.

It's nice to see George Washington, Jackie Robinson, and Pope John Paul II -- already and deservedly role models in many eyes -- sharing the book with
Joseph R.
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What makes a man great? This question challenges most people, especially today when the idea of a masculine role model is generally frowned upon, if not completely ignored because masculinity is supposed to be toxic. Such an assumption is based on false examples of manhood--the bully, the egoist, the muscle man, etc. Eric Metaxas argues that positive role models of manhood do exist and are important to culture (not just ours, but any culture). Examples of how to behave are sorely needed in an ...more
John Boyne
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I loved this book! Eric does an excellent job of providing brief biographies on 7 key figures in history who represented Christ to their fullest and changed the world forever as a result of their faith and convictions. The 7 men (he does 7 women in another book) were George Washington, William Wilberforce, Eric Liddell, Dietrich Bonheffer, Jackie Robinson, Pope John Paul II, and Chuck Colson. Each man sacrificed his life to serve Christ and left a lasting legacy for generations to come. It has ...more
Rob
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love everything Metaxas writes and this book is no exception. If you want to be inspired by some truly great men and learn how each of them was driven, inspired, and strengthened by their faith in God, then this book will suit you well.
Chip
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you’re looking for the brilliance of Bonhoeffer, keep looking.
Lena Morrison
I do my reviews in the form of a letter, which is why they are written like this.

Dear Eric Metaxas,

Thank you for writing this book. It technically got a 3.42, since I averaged the score that all the biographies got individually. I did the like the intro, and I must admit that in many ways what you say is true. We have lost sight of who heroes are. I will rate each biography individually.

George Washington
His life was nice, but I was mostly bored. It seems like we are wrong in our usual
Julie Davis
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Rickey asked Jackie if he was up to the job, he wasn't talking only about playing great baseball. He knew Jackie could do that. What he meant, he explained, was that if Jackie were to become major-league baseball's first black player, he would be in for a tremendous amount of abuse, both verbal and physical.

Jackie said he was sure he could face up to whatever came his way. He wasn't afraid of anyone and had been in any number of fistfights over the years when anyone had challenged him.

But
Ken
Dec 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a lot for me to not even make it past the introduction of a book, but, Metaxas found a way with some of the most deplorably regressive prose I've seen in a while. By the time he was oozing condescension and insulting the intelligence of his own readers, I was only reading to see if I needed to burn the book or to just put it down.

This dude totally votes for Trump, probably runs a super PAC
Tony Kauffmann
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
this book is okay, nothing spectacular. 1 chapter per person is not nearly enough to describe their life and struggles and victories.

I'd recommend if you're interested in any of the men mentioned in this book, just buy a biography of only them. It will be much more substantial than the life-snippets you get here.
Eric Siewert
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Awful writing. Some of the worst I've bothered sticking with. Interesting choice of men and good stories, told poorly. I regret that it's sold as well as it has. Don't read.
W. Derek Atkins
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seven Men of Courage

This book, written by Eric Metaxas, is a wonderful celebration of the lives of seven men who each left an indelible mark on the world, from George Washington and William Wilberforce to Jackie Robinson and Pope John Paul II.

By Metaxas' own admission, the seven men whom he chose to include in this book was done in a subjective manner, and was based on his own opinions of those men whose lives he considers to be instructive for learning how to live out our own lives - including
Matt
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t especially like books containing multiple short biographical summaries because I feel you can miss the full picture of someone’s life. However, Metaxas is a great storyteller. He paints concise pictures of individuals that feel both satisfyingly full and compelling while at the same time making you want to go read more about these incredible men. The struggles, faith, character, and beliefs of these men make their stories not only interesting but helpful.
Kirsten McLean
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I enjoyed learning about the incredible stories of each of these men. Whoever I didn't love the writing style. There was too much intro to each character and I wish their accomplishments were further explained and explored. Overall inspiring!
Jessie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was absolutely amazing!! So very inspiring! The stories of all these great Christian men throughout the ages is so cool! Loved this book so much and HIGHLY recommend to everyone! It is written very well!
Dave Engstrom
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading about each person. A page-turner book. Love Metaxas writing. He makes it very easy to follow and gets the reader engaged in the material very quickly.
Melinda
Very worthwhile. I'm especially appreciative for the chapter on George Washington, who is one of the greatest men in our history.

Very recommended!
Melissa
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very fast and rich reading. A stellar cast of masculinity celebrated in all the best ways: integrity, strength, and selflessness.
Nathan Schneider
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Metaxas is a great writer, especially in the area of biography. His Seven Men provides an adequate survey of popular figures in history and Christianity. Anyone who enjoys this read would do well to pick up Metaxas' longer biographies, Bonhoeffer (Dietrich Bonhoeffer) and Amazing Grace (William Wilberforce).
Tom
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worthwhile and inspirational, though I wish I’d read the book instead of listening to the Audible version. The narrator read as though he were reading to children. I especially liked the segments on George Washington, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Chuck Colson.
Reagan Ramsey
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
Loved this book..basically a series of mini biographies. His premise is that there are a handful of men (7, in his opinion) whose lives reflected not only a great achievement but a strength of character, resolve, and faith that made them truly great : George Washington, William Wilberforce, Eric Liddell, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jackie Robinson, Pope John Paul II and Chuck Colson. Some would disagree with his particular list but few would argue that these men demonstrated real heroism and greatness ...more
Chris
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just put 7 Men down and immediately picked up my keyboard to write this review.

I don't know if 7 Men is just a timely book for me, or if in fact it is a timely book for the western world in general. I can only speak for myself -- 7 Men was a book that I needed to read!

Several months ago I decided that I needed a few more heroes in my life. We live in a self absorbed world where we easily become our own hero. I had fallen into this deadly trap and I was desperately looking to get out of it. So,
Madison Mega-Mara...: 7 Men 1 2 Jul 04, 2015 09:15AM

• C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet
  • Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament
  • The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah and the Mystery of God's Mercy
  • Jesus Loves Movies: A 30 Day Devotional for Film Fans
  • Loving God
  • Born Again
  • Why Johnny Can't Preach
  • Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need
  • The Insanity of God: A True Story of Faith Resurrected
  • Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem
  • Nine Marks of a Healthy Church
  • Through My Eyes
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World
  • The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith
  • Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More—Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
In a decidedly eclectic career, Eric Metaxas has written for VeggieTales, Chuck Colson, Rabbit Ears Productions and the New York Times, four things not ordinarily in the same sentence. He is a best-selling author whose biographies, children’s books, and works of popular apologetics have been translated into more than 25 languages.

7 Biographies (2 books)
  • Seven Women: And the Secret of Their Greatness
“...we've gone all the way from foolishly accepting authority to foolishly rejecting all authority.” 8 likes
“If I know something to be true, am I prepared to follow it even though it is contrary to what I want[?]” 2 likes