Start by marking “Fire in the Night (Lancaster Burning, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fire in the Night (Lancaster Burning, #1)

Fire in the Night

(Lancaster Burning #1)

The Amish community of Lancaster is being terrorized by barn fires.
David and Malinda Beiler’s barn was the first to go. The clues are sparse, but Levi, the Beilers’ oldest son, happened to be awake in the middle of the night and spotted a white vehicle driving past the house with its lights off.
Sarah, David and Malinda’s daughter, is in her late teens and old enough to obs
Published May 7th 2013 by Good Books (first published January 1st 2013)

Leonard
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the first in a series of three novels under the general title of "Lancaster Burning." This is an Amish romance novel, that has the romance positioned in the background with the barn fires take center stage. Actually for the Amish, and this novel is written by an Amish writer, relationships and faith seem to be the main subject, as it probably will continue to be in the whole series, and this is an accurate way of telling this interesting story.
Alice Benson
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an exciting Amish novel book! It was hard for me to put it down at bedtime ~ it was a wonderful story of how the Amish folk all work together in their communities and the love that was exemplified for the neighbors and family members is just so neat to read about in these days when one doesn't really get to know their neighbors. I thoroughly enjoy reading these Amish books. I lived in Amish Country in Ohio. I have seen the barns, the fields of corn ,and other vegetables and we often stopped ...more
Kate
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've ever read a book written by someone who not only grew up in the Amish faith, but is still a practising member thereof. It was interesting to see the different nuances that she included in her book that were familiar to me from other Amish fiction, but discrete from the others at the same time.
Have you ever read a book where the main character was someone you could relate to so well that it made you cringe a bit? Sarah was that character for me. I could see so much of
Carolyn V
I'm finished with Fire in the Night: this is my first reading of this author; and I am not disappointed. It helps that author linda Byler grew up Amish. Her details of barn raising are the first I have read in amish reading and are very thorough. I like the characters in this book and it is filled with suspense as to what the community will do to prevent further 'victims' of someones' anger and unjustified actions. Looking forward to book 2
Judie Dooley
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would have given it a 5 but it kind of left me hanging at the end. WHAT HAPPENED???? I hope there is another book following this one.
This was the story of Amish barn burnings in Lancaster County ,PA. I liked the story--learned a lot about the Amish people. The story line was interesting and informative. The characters were strong.The story has a lot of sadness, and also happy times, but I didn't like the ending.
Glmomich
I found myself skimming a lot more than usual. I think the Author could have moved the story along better and maybe left out some of the unnecessary details and descriptions. I'm going to start the 2nd book and see how that one goes.
Kristy
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, this book was okay. It was kinda slow though. So glad I finally finished reading it.
Susan Phelan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Although I read through the trilogy and enjoyed the POV of someone in the Amish religion/way of life, the writing could have used some more editing. Lots of things happening , little plot, lots of telling rather than showing and a protagonist who let things happen to her more than making things happen.
If you are interested in the Amish life style and beliefs, that may pull you through the book.
Di Schlenk
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting book that leaves you hanging at the end.

Deals with a firebug who is setting fires in the Amish district in Lancaster.

This proves challenging to the peace loving Amish folk especially when a child dies.
Arial
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is beautifully written and very descriptive. I was pulled in and it was impossible to put the book down. It is as if you are there and you are experiencing the emotions as you read. I was crying during parts of this book.
Lona Schuett
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Massanutten Regional Library
Nancy, Page patron, July 2018, 4 stars:

A bit slow to get started, but press on, it's worth it.
Debra
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, christian
I like Linda Byler’s books. Don’t want Sarah to marry Matthew. I like Lee better. I think Ashley knows something. Must get the next one.
Kelly
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is the first book I have read by the author. I really did not know anything about her, and found out after I was about halfway through that she is actually Amish. Some have said that it is much better reading Amish fiction from an Amish author. In the long run, I just want to read good fiction, and whether or not the author is of the faith they are writing about or not is of no concern to me if the book is well written. If a book is well written with an engaging story, I will recommend to a ...more
steph
Solid 3.5 stars

I picked up this book because it was an Amish fiction book written by a current, practicing Amish person. I read a lot of Amish fiction I feel like and some of it can be quite romanticized so I was interested in reading one reading by a person who was actually involved in the Amish way of life.

And on that front, this book did not disappoint. There was a certain acceptance of God and his ways that I think is lacking in other fictional "bonnet novels". There was a lot of bad things
Saloma Miller
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had the great pleasure of meeting Linda Byler last week. If you ever get that chance, take it! She is personable, smart, witty, and a great pleasure to talk with. I also met her daughter (I think her name is Lydia) who is just as delightful.

I bought this book because Linda is Amish. I am so tired of authors who have never been Amish who write one "Amish" fiction book after another.

As I thought, the details in this book are authentic. Having grown up Amish myself, there is a "feel" to the deta
Nora Peevy
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
By far this is one of my favorite Amish mystery novels I've read. The characters are so varied and complex. The tragedies shaking their community's faith in their neighbors and the church is compelling and heartfelt. I also appreciate that this Amish community is not as strict with The Roxbury as other mystery series I've read. I'm eager to learn who is the barn burner in this series and which young man Sarah, the minister's daughter, will finally choose. Her conflict of heart really reminds me ...more
Dali Castillo
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review is from: Fire in the Night: A suspenseful romance by the bestselling Amish author! (Lancaster Burning) (Paperback)
Having read Linda Byler's previous books, made me ready and eager to read Fire in the Night. And....I wasn't disappointed. I like the suspense factor and how the author built it up. Also, I know that some don't like how much time the author spends describing everything, but that's something I enjoy, especially knowing the author's authenticity of the information she prese
sue
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you have read the blurb, you get the gist of what this book is about. Its well written as is the authors other books. I found the book easy to get into, it captured my interest straight away with a fire in the first few pages. Then when it was discovered that the fire was not an accident it gripped my entire attention more.

Its a shame my housework and mowing the lawn today took me away from the story! However, it did slow down in the middle bit, for a while I was finding myself relaxed and my
Carol
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a little out of the ordinary Amish romances because of the barn arson. The normal story line (girl longs for boy) was intertwined with the barn burnings and the emotional and financial pain from them, as well as secondary story lines of a male cousin who is interested in a teacher, an older special-needs brother, and of course the girl's relationship with her mother and female relatives. Just a note: this is the first of three in a series and I expect that the arsonist(s) won't be revea ...more
Shirley Worley
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: amish
A very enjoyable read by an author new to me. Interesting to read an Amish story written by a person who is actually Amish. Compared to many of the books I read, usually mysteries, the plot was fairly tranquil. As a reader, I gained insight to the ways and thoughts of the Amish and how those differ from the 'English'. All of the characters were likable, although the main character seemed a little immature. She pined after a boy throughout the entire book, refusing to believe that his affection f ...more
Angeles
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read book 2 in this group first, and had to go back and grab book 1. I maybe could have skipped it. Book 2 gave enough description of the plotline for this book that I felt like I was reading it a second or third time.

However, had I not read them out of place, I would have enjoyed it a great deal more. The pace and lifestyle of the characters fascinates me and reminds me of my own desire to rid myself of so much stuff.
Janessa Butterfield
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
slow, often unrelated plot line, where the main character whines and complains over a boy the entire book. the main character was annoying and immature. very hard to read, and took months to finish. I really enjoyed the other books this author has produced, but this one was disappointing to me. perhaps the sequel will be better.
Lynda
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish, mystery
Poignant. Phrases that make you think such as an incident that further removes our innocence. Or "Small human mind cannot think as God does."

A good mystery story.

Could have been five stars but having the translations appear next to the word interrupts the story flow.
Carolyn E
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story even though nothing is really resolved at the end of the book. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series Davey's Daughter to see where it takes us.

Cassie Peters
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amish-reads
I did not like that the horse being tied inside the barn and they did not save it from being burned to death after they had already entered the stall and could have unclipped the lead, cut the halter, or something and let it run outside the safety. Plus, there seemed to be a lot of product placements in the book with name brand and store brand products being mentioned by their product names.
Dawn
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book by Linda Byler. Mystery surrounds the Amish after two fires destroy two barns. Who can be setting these fires? The only clue to go on is the white car that Levi saw leaving their property on the night the barn was burnt. Can Sarah live without Matthew in her life. After he asks her out will they stay together. I cant wait and see when reading next book.
Patricia Hullett
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Linda Byler and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Her characters are enduring and the story kept me reading through the night. I did cry a number of times. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Sarah Adamson
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The first half of the book was good - standard Amish romance with intrigue and mystery. Then the main relationship just got old - the girl was just being stupid and the boy awful. The fires had dramatic descriptions with a little too much detail. Ok book but got irritating towards the end.

• A Little Bit of Charm (New Beginnings, #3)
  • Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)
  • Katie Opens Her Heart (Emma Raber's Daughter, #1)
  • Annie's Truth (Touch of Grace, #1)
  • An Amish Miracle
  • Love Still Stands (New Hope Amish #1)
  • Reckless Heart
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • In Plain View (Valley of Choice #2)
  • Letters to Katie (Middlefield Family, #3)
  • An Amish Gift
  • The Quilter's Son: Book One: Liam's Choice (The Quilter's Son #1)
  • A Quilt for Jenna (Apple Creek Dreams, #1)
  • A Christmas for Katie (Families of Honor #3.5)
  • A Season for Tending (Amish Vines and Orchards #1)
Linda Byler grew up Amish and is an active member of the Amish church today. Growing up, Linda Byler loved to read and write. In fact, she still does. She is well known within the Amish community as a columnist for a weekly Amish newspaper. Linda and her husband, their children and grandchildren live in central Pennsylvania.

Lancaster Burning (3 books)
  • Davey's Daughter (Lancaster Burning, #2)
  • The Witnesses (Lancaster Burning #3)