Start by marking “Where Are You Now?” as Want to Read:
Where Are You Now?

Where Are You Now?

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  17,254 ratings  ·  1,487 reviews
From America's Queen of Suspense comes a gripping tale of a young woman trying to unravel the mystery of a family tragedy -- a quest with terrifying repercussions. It has been ten years since twenty-one-year-old Charles MacKenzie Jr. ("Mack") went missing. A Columbia University senior, about to graduate and already accepted at Duke University Law School, he walked out of h ...more
Published April 8th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
5,975 books — 14,054 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
1,677 books — 6,945 voters

More lists with this book...

·  17,254 ratings  ·  1,487 reviews

Start your review of Where Are You Now?
Sharon
Charles MacKenzie Jr (Mac) went missing ten years ago. He had his whole life in front of him a senior at Colombia University who was about to graduate and go onto Duke University Law School. The bazaar thing is that every year Mac phones his mother on her birthday, his birthday and Mother’s Day he assures her that he is alright then hangs up before answering any of his mother’s questions.

Carolyn is Mac’s sister who is twenty six who is determined to find out where her brother disappeared to and
Ken
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve only recently come across best selling America author MHC because of the recent publication of I've Got My Eyes on You which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Finding a bestselling author with an extensive back catalogue can be a blessing or a curse, your second pick must be a good one...

I spotted three titles in a discount bookshop and obviously had to get them, the other titles being:
I’ve Got You Under My Skin
The Lost Years

This had the most interesting premise.
Caroline’s brother Mack disappeared 10 ye
Amanda
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Good book, though the ending was disappointing. The author spent so much time building up to a finish, that when the finish came, it was quite a let down. I'm not talking a little let down, I mean really disappointing. The kind of thing where you finish reading and then look for the rest of the pages that obviously fell out of the book. She left the final scene until pretty much the last chapter. But then there was so much to finish off that it just said, "Okay, all these people are dead, all th ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Where Are You Now?, Mary Higgins Clark
Ten years ago, 21-year-old Charles MacKenzie, Jr. ("Mack") walked out of his apartment without a word and has never been seen again. He does, however, call his mother annually on Mother's Day to assure her of his health and safety, then hangs up, leaving her frantic questions unanswered. Even his father's death in the 9/11 attacks didn't bring him home or break the pattern of his calls. Now, Carolyn MacKenzie has decided the only way to move on with her own
Marchelle
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like Mary Higgins Clark because I know what I am getting. Since I have read so many of them, I am getting better at predicting who the "murderer" is, but I still find that I can't stop turning the pages to find if my guess is correct. She is a clean writer and gives me just enough suspense without making me too scared.
Misty
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't love nor hate this book.

I did like that the book was a page turner. I liked the short chapters allowing me to read 5 minutes here or 10 minutes there. I did like that it was an easy read for the situation I was in. I liked that the author included so many suspects. I did feel creepted out by the murderer thinking in first person. I did think it was blood and guts clean for a murder mystery.

I was disappointed in the main character, Carolyn. She wasn't very characteristic of what I imagi
Siobhan
I feel as though the Mary Higgins Clark books are good for quick reads.

For me all her books seem to be three point five star books. They’re good if you want something quick to read and yet I never seem to enjoy them as much as I love other authors. They’re sort of just there for when I want something quick to read.

I think my main problem is that they all seem to be a lot of the same, in my opinion. Whether it is simply due to the selection of her books I have read or whether such is the case all
Rick
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I picked this up to see if I could decipher the key to Ms. Clark's longstanding success. I'm done and I still can't say I've deciphered that key. Formulaic with a very anticlimactic and unsatisfying ending...I can't recommend it. And I am certain Ms. Clark will weep bitter tears over this review as she counts her millions on her private jet.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, library
It’s been a while since I’ve read a MHC book. However, I wasn’t surprised to enjoy it.

Though there was very little if any in the way of romance, it wasn’t needed. I spend much of my time guessing who done it until I didn’t.

This was a solid read with a solid narrator.
Tristi
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of Mary Higgins Clark know she has her formula. Her first four books didn't seem to be as formulaic, but ever since then, there are certain things we watch for. The mentally-incompetent person who knows something, but is being protected and told to shush, and when they finally talk, it's the clue to the whole case. We watch for the mentions of clothing and food (during the 1980's, the heroines wore capes and boots, and ate pasta and crusty bread with green salad and wine) We also know that ...more
Aerykah
Would have probably given this 4 stars of I had liked the ending better. As it is though, I'm left feeling a bit let down. It's almost like I haven't actually finished the book yet...

Note of Warning: For the readers out there who are looking for a clean/Christian read, this is not Christian fiction-- there isn't any sex or anything, but there is some bad language in this book.
Erica
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008-reads
Predictible. I think her books have really gone downhill but I'll continue to read them I'm sure. I have read all of her books to date. She churns them out too quickly...a good fluff book though I guess.

Summary from Amazon:
It has been ten years since twenty-one-year-old Charles
MacKenzie Jr. ("Mack") went missing. A Columbia University senior, about to
graduate and already accepted at Duke University Law School, he walked out
of his apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side without a word to his
coll
Aini Akmalia
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could you imagine how bizarre the feeling when your brother disappeared all of a sudden, and only make a phone call only on Mother's Day, and assured the family that he's doing well?

Charles McKenzie Jr. (known as "Mack" in this book) disappeared ten years ago shortly after his 21st birthday. Every year on Mother's Day he rings his mother and assures her that he is fine. Even when his father died on 9/11, he didn't emerge from hiding.

And now his sister Carolyn Mackenzie has had enough. She is de
Jessica Flaska
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
i finished this book last night and it was a pretty good book. again, mary hiigins clark goes back and forth and each chapter has to do with a different charachter in the character's going on's. but it does not get confusing and annoying. i liked ths tory line about the main character trying to find her brother and see what really happened and either him or turn hin over in the murders that have been recently linked to his sudden disappearance. his only sib, carolyn start trying to figure out wh ...more
Kim
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Having read several Mary Higgins Clark books I can say this is not one of my favorites. The plot line was a little bizzare and weak. A man disappeared and for ten years calls his family once a year, on Mother's Day. It appears that he hangs up if questioned during the call and only says what he wants to say. It was obvious to me early on that there was something strange in the calls and I was right. The answer was a little surprising, but only because there were severall plausible characters and ...more
Francesca Hurley
Valeria Rocha
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Reynolds
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Where Are You Now? (2008) by Mary Higgins Clark is an enthralling read which holds your interest throughout.

The plot follows 26-year-old law graduate Carolyn MacKenzie whose older brother Mack went missing ten years previously. However, each year she and her mother receive a message on Mother’s Day from Mack. In the decade since Mack has mysteriously disappeared, seemingly out of nowhere, Carolyn’s and Mack’s father has passed away in the 9/11 attacks. Following a possible sighting of her brothe
Sep
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do not read enough of Ms. Clark's books to know whether or not she was formulaic (an accusation in another review) but I do know that I did not guess who the bad guy was. I loved entering the world of the very well-off. It's cool that the list of possible murderers is limited and that so many people had a motive. I thought that the hero's "change for the better" a little fast but, remember, in real life, people often make change in behavior when faced with life or death situations.
Lauren
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Good enough mystery from MHC - did not predict the killer this time, but also did not feel there were nearly enough clues hinting at who it was. Clark's books are always quick and easy reads; I know what I'm getting when I pick one up.
Tiff Any
Oct 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well I didn’t finish this book. Didn’t even get half way. Found it slow and very difficult to get to grips with. So many characters thrown at you in a short space of time.

Have read books by Higgins Clark before and thoroughly enjoyed them. This one was just not for me
Abby Russo
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
A few too many characters to keep track of. Also, this felt MUCH darker than mary Higgins Clark’s other books! That said, this has been one of her books where I couldn’t guess the ending.
Yvonne
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Great mystery!
Maria Claire
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
the whole journey was a good built up, but felt like the ending was rushed :-(
Linda
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
There is a reason that Mary Higgins Clark is the Queen of Suspense. i was down to like 20 pages and was still clueless as to who was behind everything. I enjoyed this story and thought it was interesting how everything tied together at the end. ...more
Sylvia
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! Great story!! Love this author's books!!
Mary
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was not my usual genre but it was an interesting read.
Nicole
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns abound! just when you think there is no possible way that all these pieces can come together in a cohesive resolution - they do! And that's one of the things that I always enjoy about a Mary Higgins Clark book.
Holli
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
As good as every other book I've read written by her. I can never put them down!
Mike Corgan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable Mary Higgins Clark novel.
Where Are You Now 12 75 Jun 18, 2014 01:02PM

• When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
  • Deck the Halls
  • Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #6)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Zapped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #11)
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Cursed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #12)
  • Wrecked  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #13)
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • Everything and More
  • Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9)
  • Mobbed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #14)
  • Mary Higgins Clark: All Around the Town [VHS]
  • To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Gypped (Regan Reilly Mystery, #15)
  • Fearless
  • Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2)
The #1 New York Times bestselling author Mary Higgins Clark has written thirty-eight suspense novels, four collections of short stories, a his­torical novel, a memoir, and two children’s books. With bestselling author Alafair Burke she wrote the Under Suspicion series. With her daughter Carol Higgins Clark, she has coauthored five more suspense novels.

Clark’s books have sold more than 100 milli