Start by marking “Compliance (Dust Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Compliance (Dust Chronicles, #2)

Compliance

(Dust Chronicles #2)

Haven Equals Safety.
The slogan is emblazoned on the minds of every Haven employee. But for Glory, life inside the domed city is anything but safe.
After rescuing her brother, Glory returns to Haven as a double agent to locate and save fellow Deviants. Far from her family and from Burn, Glory faces danger at every turn as she trains to be a Compliance Officer--to track and
Published June 4th 2013 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about Compliance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compliance

Start your review of Compliance (Dust Chronicles, #2)
Hilary
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I'd known how good this was, I would have bumped it straight to the top of my to-read pile. Compliance is book 2 in the series, but it can stand on its own. You won't have a full understanding of the backstory, but it wasn't confusing; I haven't (yet) read the first one, but will remedy that shortly...

The characters' reactions and emotions seemed painfully real, relationships suffer from the same miscommunications, misunderstandings, loyalty, love and distrust as those in the real world, and
Maria Mitchell
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads to review.

Maureen McGowan's Deviants series just keeps getting better and more addicting. This book starts off a few months after the first ended. Glory is going through her Comp training with Cal. It's rough on her and she's considered the weakest in the class. Her dating license with Cal still exists but that relationship is strained. She is still working both sides of the wall. She is still lying to everyone about her Deviance.

It was
David
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, I can't wait to see what you come up with next
Edwina Callan
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads to review.

Pure brain candy. I loved it.
Now on to book 3 of this trilogy.

Angela
Jan 07, 2016 marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
7 January 2016: $1.99 on Kindle ...more
sh(e)reader
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars I'm enjoying this series. Both the text and the audio are included in KindleUnlimited. It was nice to finish the first book and be able to move onto book 2 immediately, and then to book 3. I like the consistency of the covers and how the storyline does come to a conclusion in each book. Book 1, we learn about the world, about Glory and the other characters. She makes it outside, then there at the end, goes back/undercover into Haven. Here in book two we learn about her undercover adven ...more
Fly To The Sky
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review first appeared on my blog, Read Books and Live Green

I recieved this book via Netgalley
I just don't know how to write this review. I actually enjoyed the book. But there was still stuff that continued to bother me the same way it did in the first book. So here is my book breakdown.
THE PROS
1.) The pacing. I really enjoyed the quick pacing of this book! It didn't feel like it was dragging at all. There was always something going on.
2.) Glory. I really liked her (for the most part) in th
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, arcs, 5-stars
Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

If you have NOT read Deviants, please read with caution. There are some spoilers that were unavoidable. Proceed with caution . . .

Step Into Fiction
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jessica

Someone please yell at me when I put books off because I really shouldn't. This book came out in June and I've had it since like April or something but yet I just read it now . . . what? Ever do that with second books? I don't know if it's because I'm afraid of being disappointed when I loved the first book as much as I did with Deviants or if because I'm afraid of th
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I think I enjoy this series for a lot of the reasons many readers liked the Divergent series (which wasn't my bag at all). It's quickly paced with lots of conflict and tough choices, which makes for a very engaging read (listen, in my case). Like I said when I wrote a little thing about Deviants on Goodreads, I really like the corporation as the Big Bad in this world and the X-Men/super-hero vibe is one that really works for me, and the love triangle really works in this series as well (it exist ...more
Charlotte Copper
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So I promised myself no more books until I got some of the current inventory read, but after reading Deviants I HAD TO download Compliance as soon as it was available. And I was NOT disappointed. I loved the book!! I thought Ms McGowan did an excellent job progressing the story and the characters. There are so many comments I want to make, but I don't want to do any spoilers. Suffice to say, I highly recommend the book. It is YA, and I (unfortuantely) am not, so I'm trying to get my daughter to ...more
Coral
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series is really enjoyable, so far, and would make a fantastic Hunger Games read-alike: it's a future dystopia with a strong female character who grows up in poverty and has low self-awareness; and not only that, but there's also a love triangle. Instead of a largish empire run by a small elite city, it's more of a corporatist elite controlling life in a dome, and instead of a fight-to-the-death game, there are mutants and non-mutants. But, seriously, it hits a lot of the same buttons.

I lo
T. Jackson
It lived up to the first book. I enjoyed it very much.
Chris Dunham
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved Compliance!!! What a great follow up to Deviants!!
Helen
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review posted at http://canlitforlittlecanadians.blogs...
On July 21, 2013.
Victoria Strauss
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A worthy followup to the very good DEVIANTS, with good character development as well as exciting action. I'm looking forward to the final installment.
Debi
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would give this book a 4.5 star. It was very fast paced. I could feel the conflict and emotions that Glory experienced in the book. I'm so ready to find out what happens next.
Truitti
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
can't wait for the sequel. I am enjoying this series.
Sean
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent development, suffers from book 2 syndrome

This book is a good development of the themes set out in the first book. The ideas grow and it plants the seeds that will eventually come to define the 3rd book. It was still enjoyable and expanded on the adventure story and the structure of Haven. Unfortunately it suffers from the problem so many second books in a trilogy do, namely, that it’s been left trying to fill the gap between its siblings. The first book is fresh and full of new ideas. T
Kelsea
My feelings about this book are right along the same lines as my thoughts on the first one - ie. Standard dystopian, often annoying main character, love triangle, but yet still compelled to finish it.

My one major complaint about Compliance is that I saw the "twist" coming a mile away. (view spoiler)
_Blues_
Okay, going into book two of the Dust chronicles I was feeling very hopeful. At the end of book 1 I was just starting to like our MC and was excited to see what would happen once Glory was back in Haven this time as a spy for the Freedom Army and a recruit for the domes police system.
While I really liked some of the new stuff we were introduced to, I was not happy with Glory. I felt that she was overly cocky in her new position. Granted she did do a lot in a short time and mostly everything work
Anne-marie Leduc
Allyson Bradley
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good!

I'm loving this second book in the trilogy. I'm torn between Glory's choices aaaannnddd can't wait to see what happens next and what she decides. This book wasn't as predictable as the first but I did figure out one twist that seemed pretty obvious. Ok, enough reviewing, it's time for me to start book three and see where everything is going.
Julie Goetz
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved the direction this book took with Glory and her plan to help other deviants. The world building is much better in the second of the series. I felt that the book began to take on a much more original Dystopian story.
Josie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, something new!

A great dystopian YA novel with interesting, complex characters and skilful world building. I could live without the romance but I suspect most of the target audience will love it!
Book Catharsis
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m obsessed

I can’t wait to read the next book! I am an addict itching for more. I feel the burn. I have to know what happens next!
Kathleen Minde
I absolutely devoured, and enjoyed, the first book of The Dust Chronicles, Deviants. Glory, the kick-ass Deviant heroine with the power to kill was a compelling character and her life, and escape from, the futuristic domed city of Haven was well told and engrossing. So, when offered a chance to read Compliance, the second novel, I jumped at it. I wanted to know what happened to Glory after she left her brother, father, and love interest, Burn, to re-enter Haven and rescue more Deviants.

Well, she
Michelle
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rarely do sequels create the same spark the first installment of a series has. In some ways this book was just as good if not a bit on the predictable side. I fell in love with Glory's plight in the first book and while there is the argument that this book contained a lot more teenage angst than the first I think that it's to be expected. I mean the protagonist is a 16 year old teenage girl. If there wasn't any angst after all the events in the first book it wouldn't be realistic.

Personally I fo
Kayla
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of "Compliance" from the author, but that fact did not influence my opinion of the book.

When I started reading "Compliance," it had been a while since I read "Deviants," so I was a little apprehensive that I would be lost without rereading book 1. I had no such problem, though. I got enough recap from Glory's thoughts and dialog to jog my memory on important prior events.

So in "Compliance," Glory has, as the title might suggest, enrolled in the training program
Online Eccentric Librarian