Start by marking “Hero Mom” as Want to Read:
Hero Mom

Hero Mom

The moms in this book are superheroes. They may not leap over tall buildings, and they may not have super-human speed. But these moms construct buildings, fly planes, and make tanks roll. They do all kinds of things to help create a safer world. These superheroes are moms. Military moms. Hero moms.
Published April 2nd 2013 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Hero Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Mom

Robin
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the better picture books I have read about military moms. Simple, clear, reads aloud well, shows diverse women doing a wide variety of military jobs without getting bogged down in details. Mentions that they are "American soldiers" and there are a few flags, but avoids being overly patriotic. The page on deployments is especially well done, calling them "long trips" and showing a girl Skyping with a mom in uniform. Would work for a Veteran's Day storytime or classroom theme. Recommended f ...more
Denise
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: week-6
Text-to self connection

Hero Mom is a combination of children's perspectives on what their military moms do while serving our country. When my sister in law joined the Army it was a difficult transition for my niece and nephews because they were accustomed to their mom always being physically present. I found this book and read it to them to help them understand that although they miss their mom,she plays a very important role in keeping our country safe. I also find this book very useful in the
Maria Varner
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice!

I very much thank you for this book to help me with a project! I am very thankful for this and your Hero Dad book!

Jamie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Veterans storytime.
Angie Munoz
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Describes different jobs a woman can have in the military. Would be appropriate for pre-k through first grade.
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple and straight forward with great illustrations, this book shows lots of different ways moms are "superheroes" as they serve in the military (including as rescue pilots and doctors).
Sherrie Weerheim
Cute!

I like that the author wrote about mom’s in the military as well. The students enjoyed looking at the story.
Allison Palmgren
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for kids with deployed moms. this was undoubtedly the best of the "army moms" books that I found. It has really lead to some useful conversations about my sister's deployment with my niece.
Heather
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bakers-dozen
Title: Hero Mom
Author: Melinda Hardin
Genre: realistic fiction

Plot Summary: This book is an account of the different children and their moms, which are super hero's. The focus is that although their moms may not be the kind of superheros you can see in movies, they do a lot that helps other people. Examples of the heroes are: military moms, police and firefighter moms, etc.

Literary Merit: This book has in it cultural implications which are vital to carry into our classrooms. As I most likely will
Christy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
DeKota Smith
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Summary: The book is about how young children talk about their mothers who are serving in the U.S. Army. They're (mothers) different day to day jobs in which all are heavily depended and high responsibilities.

Illustrations: Picture clearly show a good presentation of showing the mothers doing their daily objectives while on the job site. I feel not much can be said as they is not much of a story to support or "piggy back" off each other.

Conclusion: This book is a great book to show that equalit
ShelbySeeger
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hero Mom by Melinda Hardin is a touching book addressing the social/critical issues of gender roles in todays society.
This book is about all different kids of all different backgrounds calling their moms super heros. When thinking of super heros you think of flying, saving lives and protecting the world from evil. That is exactly what these moms are doing because they are military moms. This book shows the roles and different jobs they partake in such as fixing military tanks, flying fighter je
Cheryl
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Hero Mom" in U.S. military families...

It was so refreshing reading "Hero Mom" about moms in the U.S. military. We see, on television or in newspapers or magazines, articles or stories about military dads but rarely do we see the flip side of the coin - moms who are serving their country and having to be away from their families.

This is a nicely made book (I got the hardcover) and it has delightful water color illustrations by Bryan Langdo. The story is perfect for younger children -big letters
Cemeread
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is a book about military moms and what they do when deployed. I thought this was more of a 2.5 star. Since there is such a need for books addressing this topic I added the half star. The children in the illustrations are a mix of boys and girls and include some non caucasians. I would have liked to see the illustrations be a bit clearer on the minority groups. Yes, America and families are melting pots of heritage, but I think children of minority groups would like to be able identify with ...more
Nicole Blanar
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hero Mom is a cute story about children explaining what their moms do as work and for the American military. The book strays away from portraying the moms in the story as traditional roles of mothers. The moms are away from home, leading groups of men and women and holding jobs as doctors and construction workers. These roles of the mother reflect leadership, strength and portray equal gender qualities which encourages activism in many ways. I think this book represents critical issues effective ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
In this simple book, several children describe what their mothers do in the military, comparing what they do to what superheroes do. Many children today deal with mothers deployed in the military. This book lets them know that their mothers are away doing important work for their country, and that they should be proud. Recommended!
Michaelea Kennedy
In this book it talks about moms being superheroes, but not the type of superheroes that we think of. They are the superheroes to our country. It talks about the sacrifices the mom makes for our country. The images in this book were incredible, and I really enjoyed reading this book, and I can't wait to read it to my students.
Rachel
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a cute book about children whose mothers are in the military. I think it would be good for a child whose parent is about to leave for overseas or to help another child identify with a friend whose parent is away. It isn't what I wanted for my Storytime now, but I'll keep it in mind.
Bambi Pea
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The is a great story of what it would be like to have a military mom. It is nice to see a book covering this issue. We hear of dads in the military all the time, but moms are in the military as well. This book does a nice job showing how you can still be a mom, or have a mom in the military.
Jillian
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A good book, using simple language to demonstrate what military moms do (and don't do). It's nice to have a book on this subject at a lower reading level than the norm. This book is also nice because it covers a wider variety of jobs an active duty woman can have than the Hero Dad version does.
Sarah Sammis
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
#weneeddiversebooks
Sue Poduska
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great job of showing all the jobs a variety of military women perform.
Kelli
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, holidays
Very simple, but would be good for Veteran's Day.
Katie
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read at Home Town Heroes Story Time - 7/11/15

Very sweet comparisons between soldiers and superheroes.

*companion to Hero Dad
AnnieM
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book about the moms serving over sea and in the reserves. We forget how hard this time is for every one in the family.
Brindi Michele
this book made me tear up....really can't wait to share this with the kids!
Allison
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
With a number of books out there about dads serving in the military, it is great to see one about moms. A great balance to Hero Dad.
Rosa
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Gives examples of the different jobs mom's hold in the military.
Paula
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
It's refreshing to read a book about women in the military considering how many women are in it. It depicts moms' roles different from the norm.
Christine
Excellent message, beautiful watercolors! Text about military applications of superhero-type skills isn't quite as clever as "Hero Dad," which came out first, but "Mom" is much more racially diverse.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »