Jump to ratings and reviews

H2O

Roy Walker is curious. But in a world where knowledge has disappeared, curiosity will get you killed.

Generations ago, the Passim Virus wiped out most of humanity. The survivors banded together to form the Territory and, now, decades later, no one questions why knowledge has disappeared. Why should they? They're lucky to be alive.

But Roy doesn't feel so lucky. He's haunted by the murder of his father and he's ostracized by everyone in town. He asks way too many questions, especially about the water pumped out by the town's desalination plant.

Then Roy finds a tantalizing clue that leads him down the coast of what used to be the state of Oregon. He's stunned at what he discovers. Everything in the Territory is a lie and everything around him is a front. But to uncover the dark secret behind this front, Roy must venture deeper into the wilderness where marauders and the deadly Passim Virus wait to kill.

It's there, outside the Territory, where he discovers the truth about his father's murder and where he meets his unexpected destiny -- To free humanity from the bondage of a powerful enemy.

198 pages, Paperback

First published November 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Irving Belateche

8 books270 followers
Irving Belateche is an author, screenwriter, and adjunct professor at the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts. He's written three Amazon bestsellers: "Einstein's Secret," "H2O," and "Under An Orange Sun, Some Days Are Blue." He's also written screenplays for Paramount, Universal, Sony, Lionsgate and Warner Bros. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and son.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
114 (17%)
1 star
38 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 69 reviews
Profile Image for Ripley Patton.
Author 16 books398 followers
January 4, 2013
I really wanted to like this book. First, it is set in Oregon, right where I live. Second, it is a post-apocolyptic dystopian, which I generally love.

And I have to say the first half of the book was intriguing. Even though I couldn't quite "feel" the main character or get into his head like I like to, his story was a good one and I wanted to solve the mysteries he was encountering with him. I liked the book right up to the point where he meets the rebel marauders. The big reveal of who their leader was- I saw that coming a mile off, so there was no real pay-off there.

And that is when the story completely veered from being about the main character and his actions to being about all these side characters I didn't know (or really care about). Everyone is telling the main character everything. There is no showing, and he doesn't get to discover it himself. He isn't even in charge anymore- he becomes just another follower. And so, at what should be the most exciting climactic portion of the book, I literally got terribly bored and stopped reading it (at 88% done).

First half of the book= good. Last half= big disappointment.

Oh, and just a side note, people don't crumble to the ground. Cookies crumble. People crumple.
288 reviews5 followers
October 2, 2013
H2O was a fast, easy read. The first half was really good, but the last half read as if the author was hurrying to finish writing this story.

The story-- a virus killed most of the people
in the United States. There are only a few safe areas along the west coast. The pursuit of knowledge is frowned upon- in fact, all one needed to know was how to live and how to do their particular job.

Roy, the main character knows how to repair the machinery in a desalinization plant. He begins to realize that more pure water is being produced than is needed by his community and those in his area. He begins to search out where all this extra water is going.

He does find out how this water is being used, meets some unusual people that he joins up with and how to stop the reason for this extra water.

This is a sorta SciFy book and there was a TV show in the 80's that needed our water!!!!
March 7, 2016
Good can't wait till book 2

Read this book in about 2 days. It's fasted paced and a very easy read, nothing to complicated. With that said a few twists I could predict, but the main question, where is the water going?, well the answer wasn't on my radar but after I found out the "twists" and "why" we're easy to guess. There was action and some close calls, and I will be getting book two whenever it comes out. So don't expect a complicated read. But it is a good book like main character like the world the author came up with. Ya. Have a good read!
304 reviews
January 25, 2016
H2O, something is happening to water on earth and nobody knows about it. What do you do when you find out that dozens of tanker trucks are taking thousands of gallons of water into a vast wasteland and nobody knows about it. This is a sci-fi book that follows the path of Roy Walker as he tries to find out the truth about the missing water, his missing father and a girl maned Lily. I like this book ( probably the start of a series). I would have liked it better if the author did not try to leave a major cliff hanger at the end of every chapter.
Profile Image for Laura of Lurking.
244 reviews38 followers
September 13, 2013
This wasn't a bad read, but don't expect a classic from it. The pace was good and fast for an adventure novel, but at times this left emotions and description behind.

The plot was a bit light, I kept expecting a twist, something to change my ideas, but I had picked up what the big reveal would be quite early on. A bit disappointing.

However, I would be interested in reading a sequel as this left a lot of material untold.
I feel this book would have made a better film though
Profile Image for Jennifer.
298 reviews2 followers
December 16, 2012
Read the book in one go because it just hooked me and I couldn't put it down. The plot is great and has some nice twists. Nevertheless, sometimes one can guess what is happening next. The characters are well developed and interesting.
I really liked the book. It was a worthwhile experience even if you don't like the genre.
Profile Image for Barbara.
63 reviews4 followers
June 28, 2013
The book was good as I was reading it. It kept my interest and had a couple of turns that I didn't expect. I was able to predict one big part of the story, but was happy that my prediction came true.
I just would have like the ending to be more final. It was left up in the air and I am not a big fan of that sort of ending.
Profile Image for Tom Horton.
33 reviews
March 7, 2015
It had some moments, but overall it is awful. Character development is nil. Some major plot thickeners you would expect in any competent scifi novel -- a description of the aliens, some background on the villain -- missing in action. The climactic battle scene in the bowels of the alien stronghold? Gone in a page and a half. I can't understand how it got published, much less offered on Kindle.
19 reviews
January 21, 2013
Loved this book. I got an email from Amazon suggesting this book, so I bought it and ended up loving it. Great writing, fast-paced, and powerful. Belateche is a great writer and H2O is a great story!
Profile Image for Kim Hammond-beyer.
190 reviews4 followers
January 10, 2015
Ok

Fast read. Not a lot of depth but decent plot. Held my interest yet seemed simplistic. But then I'm more sci fi/fantasy and this is plain sci-fi.
Profile Image for Michael.
Author 28 books32 followers
September 21, 2017
The author does a good job of building up the background and having you relate to his characters, and describes the scenes with enough detail to make you feel as if you are there: you do start reading a little faster during some of the conflicts scenes as you want to see what happens, and the basic storyline is somewhat believable and you don’t cry foul over too many leaps of faith. The ending comes to a logical conclusion yet leaves the door wide open for a sequel – not too sure that is going to happen as this book was published almost four years from the time I am writing this review there doesn’t appear to be one: regardless, it is a good story.

I picked this up for just 99 cents during a Kindle promotion two years ago and just now got around to reading it and wish I had read it earlier as I certainly received more than 99 cents worth of entertainment value out of it. If you enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction, I would give this one a try.
Profile Image for Beverly.
3,097 reviews17 followers
March 1, 2022
I thought this started out as a promising read. It put me a bit in the mind of "Wool". An apocalyptic setting where those who left their safe surroundings ended up catching a killing virus or being murdered by marauders. And, of course, our main character (whose father was reportedly killed by the marauders) has to travel to help with repairs, exposing himself to danger. He has already been curious about the way of things when he is confronted by a mysterious stranger who tells him he is right and should journey farther south to prove it. At this point I'm thinking...don't do it...but he does. From here I thought the action (and there was quite a bit of it) took a turn that became not only difficult to follow but what I did follow didn't seem believable. There is quite a twist and I personally thought the ending was weak.
Profile Image for Patt Lisenbee.
71 reviews1 follower
August 22, 2020
H20

A swifty moving story that goes offroad in a direction not thought of or hinted at. Well written, colorful descriptions keep interest up, and then it comes to a stop before finishing the tale so you have to buy the next one. I hate that... it makes it hard to choose a book that would finish the story right.
- Taborri Walker, author of Weathering Storms on Amazon.com
Profile Image for Laura Wehr.
6 reviews
July 19, 2017
Wow! I don't even know what else to say about this! I enjoyed this so much! All the feels were there for me, but I wanted more of....something. Maybe the plot was a little predictable for me and that's why I can't give it 5 stars, but otherwise, I LOVED IT!
Profile Image for Paul Madsen.
321 reviews1 follower
October 17, 2017
A very interesting tale

Water the very life blood of a planet. An unlike hero and those who find out the truth behind it all.
52 reviews
February 17, 2022
H2O

I found this book more entertaining. I found that the other parts of this book made it more likely to have it happen this way. Hopefully we will survive this way.
19 reviews
February 21, 2019
This was a whole new take on alien invasion. I liked the imagination on this book. It was entertaining. I would read another of his books.

The only thing I found a bit of a stretch was the idea of people not wanting to seek knowledge. Other than that, I liked it. I would be willing to read another book by tho author before I passed judgement. For now, I would recommend his works.

16 reviews
October 8, 2016
Interesting plot but the characters were irrelatable and awful and the plot was boring at times
Profile Image for AudioBookReviewer.
949 reviews161 followers
June 18, 2015
ABR's original H2O audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Several generations after a massive pandemic, the human population is reduced to a mere fraction of its former billions. Society has reorganized around small towns along the cost of northern California and Oregon, each with specific resources: food, fuel, fishing and most important to the story, water. Outside of the group of towns, known as the territory, are giant wastelands, where no one is allowed to go without risk of attack from outlaws, called the marauders. Intellectualism is shamed and met with ostracism, imprisonment or death, meted out from a police force with nearly unlimited power.

The story starts out interestingly enough. Roy, a child born from an intellectual father who disappears in his youth, is forced to battle his way through childhood, alone and nearly killed several times by his thuggish peers. We are given many literary references during his growth, seemingly more revealing about the author’s favorite stories, than anything else, however. Roy, now as a young adult, is sent off to fix a problem with the town’s main water pump. He is sent alone into dangerous marauder territory where his own father died, even though he will probably be killed, even though water is critical to their lives and livelihood, even though they could send guards with him. Sure, everyone seems to want Roy dead, but don’t they like having water too?

The plot continues down this disappointing spiral as Roy meets two-dimensional characters in his insatiable quest to…drum roll please…find where the town’s excess water is disappearing to. Roy finds friends and battles enemies, gets out of contrived and ridiculous predicaments all to find out where the extra water is going.

Paul Heitsch is the narrator of this tepid story, not quite bringing it the energy it so desperately needs. He is proficient and the production quality is adequate.

Post-apocalyptic novels have a large audience (this listener among them) and H20 has some intriguing ideas, such as society’s development generations after a plague. Unfortunately, the author quickly abandons this idea and follows one that is wholly unbelievable, propping it up with science that is flawed and unsupportive of his premise. If you enjoy young adult fiction, you may like this story that focuses on young characters with a light, nonthreatening mood. For those looking for meaty, post-apocalyptic fare that you can sink your teeth into, should probably look elsewhere.

Audiobook provided for review by the narrator.
Profile Image for Joe Hempel.
303 reviews35 followers
April 15, 2015
I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what to think about this particular story. The first half of this book held my interest, and I was 100% on board. However somewhere in the middle things seemed to kind of lag, and never really picked back up. Roy Walker is a sympathetic character, and you really can feel his pain regarding the loss of his father. Roy seems to think certain things about the world around him, and asks a lot of questions, but questions are no longer asked in this particular world. This world that was devastated by the Passim Virus (which wasn’t really ever explained by the way).

Though Roy is well written and well thought out, the people he meets along the way seem to be wooden and very two dimensional. They serve their purpose and move Roy along on his journey, but I never really felt connected to them in any sort of way.

I also felt that I’ve heard this story before….or at least something REALLY close to it. Then it hit me. This book, while fairly original draws quite a few parallels to the game Fallout 3. I’m not talking about just a few either……if you’ve played Fallout 3, then you pretty much know the ending to this book, and the big twist.

Audiobook Review: I received this for review from the narrator, Paul Heitsch. I will say, his performance is really the only reason I was able to get through it. This is a first person narrative and I really felt like Roy Walker was there telling me the story. Paul was really able to get across the younger pain of losing his father, the surprises of the twists as they were happening, and the growth Roy undergoes. It’s a very subtle change, and it’s performed flawlessly. If this book seems at all interesting to you, then make sure you grab the audio version.

The Bottom Line: I wanted to like the story much more than I did. Thankfully the narration saved it for me. The twists you could see a mile away, and the ending, for me, has been done before and really took away the surprise. So the first half drew me in, but the end kind of blew it for me. Like I said above, if you’ve got a credit to spare, or some extra cash for a good listen, grab it on audible.
Profile Image for Kate.
270 reviews2 followers
July 28, 2013
The time is an unnamed date in the future. The dreaded "Passim Virus" has struck Earth, killing untold millions of people. Cities have also been destroyed, leaving behind small towns of people who don't like "smart" people, people who seek knowledge. They live by hunting, fishing, and trading. And by operating huge desalination plants. Even the Internet was destroyed; the remains of it are used for communication among the people. And the Fibs maintain police control over all, shooting all "marauders", those who live outside their control in the wilderness.

Roy, who has learned to keep his studies and knowledge to himself, has noticed something very strange: The amounts of water being processed in the desalination plants didn't make any sense for the numbers of people left. But he can't tell anyone, because he'll be branded a troublemaker and maybe even get shot for his trouble.

Roy doesn't set out to find out the reason but ends up following various trails and does indeed find out why.

It's been too long since I've read any science fiction, and H2O is a good way to get back into it. This story kept me up all night! I just couldn't stop reading, wanting to know what happened next. And what happened after that. And after that ...

Most of the action takes place on the west coast of what is now the United States, now part of the "Territory". It was great fun for this native West-coaster to read the names of towns and try to figure out what the original names were. I'm guessing "Port Orford" might have been "Port Orchard", but I could be completely wrong. "Yachats" I never did figure out. And it could be that the names weren't meant to represent real towns. I think they were, though.

Some small miscues here and there, but overall, a fun and highly recommended read.
Profile Image for Holly Booms Walsh.
1,186 reviews
March 23, 2015
I read a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction. There were lots of interesting ideas and unusual details in the book. I enjoyed the discussion of water as the most important resource, though I was mystified how they kept making fuel for the trucks. I loved the characters stowing away in the cargo nets under the trucks, though that had to be a miserable way to travel. I liked all the misinformation and suppression of schooling/knowledge. I enjoyed the mysteriously-described relationship of the father and son. I guessed one of the twists before the reveal, and was a bit skeptical of the other twist, but I was very drawn into the book and kept captivated by the action and the mystery as it unfolded. I appreciated the strong female character, and liked the narrator/protagonist. I appreciated that despite the fact that the apocalyptic event was a plague, the book was far enough past the event that it wasn't gory or focused on the plague's effects.

The narration was very good, and added to the emotional tension and the "everyman" feel of the protagonist. The book is a bit lighter in tone than some PA tales, which seek to say big things about humanity and the survival of the human spirit. The book is fast-paced and written in a vaguely mysterious way that created dramatic tension. A very enjoyable fictional escape!
Profile Image for Casey.
593 reviews11 followers
July 2, 2013
Finished H2O before work this morning. It started out alright, at least interesting enough to want to read it. There were moments when I wanted to smack the author but was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt as if he was presenting the science from the narrator's perspective when it was something I've known since 3rd grade. If you can get past that the initial idea isn't too bad.

Then everything goes skewampus in the middle. Without telling you what I found myself just shaking my head and wondering why. I kept reading though because it is very easy, light reading. The book ends with some sort of resolution, but rather abruptly and the resolution also leaves a lot to the reader to determine for themselves. That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but you might feel a bit left out in the cold wondering where the last 50 pages went.

It wasn't awful. It wasn't near amazing. It was plainly OK. In other words, I would only recommend it if you didn't have anything else to read.
255 reviews27 followers
June 5, 2013
H2O tells the story of a man working at a desalination plant in the far future after a virus wiped out most of humanity. He becomes curious as to why more water is being produced than is necessary, and sets out on a quest to discover where that water is going.

I found the plot to be very enjoyable and while some parts of the plot were quite predictable and could be seen a mile away, other parts were quite surprising and a few of my hunches turned out to be incorrect.

Character-wise, most of the effort here is on the main character. There are quite a handful of other characters that popup throughout the book but the development on those are minimal at best. I also would have preferred a little more background and explanation for the antagonists in the book.

Overall it is a good post-apocalyptic mystery novel with some science fiction thrown in. It was a quick couple of days read and I really enjoyed it.

See my reviews at http://www.michaelscifan.us
Profile Image for Tom Pintong.
197 reviews7 followers
June 19, 2013
H20 is one of the better reads of the year for me. It takes place on the West Coast of the US, after a virus has wiped out most of humanity, and the survivors are gathered in small towns and territories, trying to collect vital resources and survive attacks from marauders outside their towns.

As the story progresses though, Roy, the main character starts to realize that all is not as it appears to be, and starts asking questions, which is dangerous in a society where intellect is not admired or encouraged. An intriguing plot to say the least, one which seems to pave the way for sequels, which I eagerly look forward to.

With this story, I ended up staying up the whole night to read it from cover to cover. It was that entertaining. Just recommended it to 5 more friends on Goodreads. I wish the best of luck for the author in his future writings.
Profile Image for Jules.
71 reviews7 followers
September 1, 2014
2 1/2 stars

It was okay and I kind of liked it. Especially the flashbacks of the main character were interesting. I wished, the author could have started the book with Roys childhood and not just dealt with it in flashbacks. I would have bonded with he character and the "world" a little more.

Characters in general were pretty flat, especially Lily and Benny seemed to be just some dummies. But I liked the setting and the mystery of the story.

Unfortunately, it was all over so fast and the focus on the action in the last few chapters was not my cup of tea. But it was okay.

Nothing much left to say...
Profile Image for Kim.
84 reviews7 followers
December 31, 2012
I enjoyed this book. A short and easy read with an interesting plot. it is essentially a SCI FI novel about alien invasion. It is set in the future, a world that has been devastated by the deadly Passim virus. It is about survival and territorial control. The characters are believable. There is just the right amount of suspense. The author could have developed further the use of symbols e.g. NSEW this was an interesting aside but not fully developed or threaded through the story effectively. A solid yet unsurprising ending. A recommended read particularly if you are new to the Sci Fi genre.
Profile Image for Bob.
1,981 reviews16 followers
July 27, 2014
California in the future when most of the world population has been wiped out by an unknown virus finds small enclaves up and down the coast connected by trade and policed by an overall police force. Study, and education are frowned upon except for what is need for a person's particular job in their town. When a trouble shooter from a town that supplies water from a desalination plant goes out to investigate a malfunctioning pump it the pipeline he makes a discovery that there is more going on the population suspect and it will eventually effect everyone. It's all about water.
14 reviews
March 26, 2015
A good escapist story.

The main protagonist was fairly well drawn and the pacing was quick. This was bit of fun drawn out across a decently developed future mythos. One certainly needs to suspend disbelief here and there, and the last few chapters seemed a bit rushed and choppy, but overall it was solid and entertaining 3 1/2 stars.
It just seemed to me the characters in the second half of the book were underdeveloped. I liked it. It just left me a bit wanting at the abrupt and somewhat B-movie pat ending
Displaying 1 - 30 of 69 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.