Start by marking “H2O” as Want to Read:
H2O

H2O

Roy Walker is curious. But in a world where knowledge has disappeared, curiosity will get you killed.

Generations ago, the Passim Virus wiped out most of humanity. The survivors banded together to form the Territory and, now, decades later, no one questions why knowledge has disappeared. Why should they? They're lucky to be alive.

But Roy doesn't feel so lucky. He's haunted
Published November 8th 2012 by Laurel Canyon Press (first published November 1st 2012)

Start your review of H2O
Ripley Patton
I really wanted to like this book. First, it is set in Oregon, right where I live. Second, it is a post-apocolyptic dystopian, which I generally love.

And I have to say the first half of the book was intriguing. Even though I couldn't quite "feel" the main character or get into his head like I like to, his story was a good one and I wanted to solve the mysteries he was encountering with him. I liked the book right up to the point where he meets the rebel marauders. The big reveal of who their
Susan
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
H2O was a fast, easy read. The first half was really good, but the last half read as if the author was hurrying to finish writing this story.

The story-- a virus killed most of the people
in the United States. There are only a few safe areas along the west coast. The pursuit of knowledge is frowned upon- in fact, all one needed to know was how to live and how to do their particular job.

Roy, the main character knows how to repair the machinery in a desalinization plant. He begins to realize that
Laura of Lurking
This wasn't a bad read, but don't expect a classic from it. The pace was good and fast for an adventure novel, but at times this left emotions and description behind.

The plot was a bit light, I kept expecting a twist, something to change my ideas, but I had picked up what the big reveal would be quite early on. A bit disappointing.

However, I would be interested in reading a sequel as this left a lot of material untold.
I feel this book would have made a better film though
Barbara
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was good as I was reading it. It kept my interest and had a couple of turns that I didn't expect. I was able to predict one big part of the story, but was happy that my prediction came true.
I just would have like the ending to be more final. It was left up in the air and I am not a big fan of that sort of ending.
Nancy
I like dystopian and post apocalyptic fiction but this book was just OK. There are some loose ends in the story and I felt like the author just ended the story too abruptly. Most of the story the author was generous with details and told a good story about this new world. However, as it got close to the end there were many details left out and it seemed like the author rushed to get to the end.
Tom Horton
Feb 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It had some moments, but overall it is awful. Character development is nil. Some major plot thickeners you would expect in any competent scifi novel -- a description of the aliens, some background on the villain -- missing in action. The climactic battle scene in the bowels of the alien stronghold? Gone in a page and a half. I can't understand how it got published, much less offered on Kindle.
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the book in one go because it just hooked me and I couldn't put it down. The plot is great and has some nice twists. Nevertheless, sometimes one can guess what is happening next. The characters are well developed and interesting.
I really liked the book. It was a worthwhile experience even if you don't like the genre.
Anna
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I got an email from Amazon suggesting this book, so I bought it and ended up loving it. Great writing, fast-paced, and powerful. Belateche is a great writer and H2O is a great story!
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Interesting enough plot but the writing could have been better. Full review to come...
Kim Hammond-beyer
Ok

Fast read. Not a lot of depth but decent plot. Held my interest yet seemed simplistic. But then I'm more sci fi/fantasy and this is plain sci-fi.
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does a good job of building up the background and having you relate to his characters, and describes the scenes with enough detail to make you feel as if you are there: you do start reading a little faster during some of the conflicts scenes as you want to see what happens, and the basic storyline is somewhat believable and you don’t cry foul over too many leaps of faith. The ending comes to a logical conclusion yet leaves the door wide open for a sequel – not too sure that is going ...more
Laura Wehr
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I don't even know what else to say about this! I enjoyed this so much! All the feels were there for me, but I wanted more of....something. Maybe the plot was a little predictable for me and that's why I can't give it 5 stars, but otherwise, I LOVED IT!
Paul Madsen
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting tale

Water the very life blood of a planet. An unlike hero and those who find out the truth behind it all.
Eva Juarez
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a whole new take on alien invasion. I liked the imagination on this book. It was entertaining. I would read another of his books.

The only thing I found a bit of a stretch was the idea of people not wanting to seek knowledge. Other than that, I liked it. I would be willing to read another book by tho author before I passed judgement. For now, I would recommend his works.

Julia
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot but the characters were irrelatable and awful and the plot was boring at times
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's original H2O audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Several generations after a massive pandemic, the human population is reduced to a mere fraction of its former billions. Society has reorganized around small towns along the cost of northern California and Oregon, each with specific resources: food, fuel, fishing and most important to the story, water. Outside of the group of towns, known as the territory, are giant wastelands, where no one is allowed to go
Joe Hempel
I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what to think about this particular story. The first half of this book held my interest, and I was 100% on board. However somewhere in the middle things seemed to kind of lag, and never really picked back up. Roy Walker is a sympathetic character, and you really can feel his pain regarding the loss of his father. Roy seems to think certain things about the world around him, and asks a lot of questions, but questions are no longer asked in this particular world. This ...more
Kate
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The time is an unnamed date in the future. The dreaded "Passim Virus" has struck Earth, killing untold millions of people. Cities have also been destroyed, leaving behind small towns of people who don't like "smart" people, people who seek knowledge. They live by hunting, fishing, and trading. And by operating huge desalination plants. Even the Internet was destroyed; the remains of it are used for communication among the people. And the Fibs maintain police control over all, shooting all ...more
Holly Booms Walsh
I read a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction. There were lots of interesting ideas and unusual details in the book. I enjoyed the discussion of water as the most important resource, though I was mystified how they kept making fuel for the trucks. I loved the characters stowing away in the cargo nets under the trucks, though that had to be a miserable way to travel. I liked all the misinformation and suppression of schooling/knowledge. I enjoyed the mysteriously-described relationship of the father ...more
Casey
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finished H2O before work this morning. It started out alright, at least interesting enough to want to read it. There were moments when I wanted to smack the author but was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt as if he was presenting the science from the narrator's perspective when it was something I've known since 3rd grade. If you can get past that the initial idea isn't too bad.

Then everything goes skewampus in the middle. Without telling you what I found myself just shaking my head and
Michael Long
H2O tells the story of a man working at a desalination plant in the far future after a virus wiped out most of humanity. He becomes curious as to why more water is being produced than is necessary, and sets out on a quest to discover where that water is going.

I found the plot to be very enjoyable and while some parts of the plot were quite predictable and could be seen a mile away, other parts were quite surprising and a few of my hunches turned out to be incorrect.

Character-wise, most of the
Tom Pintong
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
H20 is one of the better reads of the year for me. It takes place on the West Coast of the US, after a virus has wiped out most of humanity, and the survivors are gathered in small towns and territories, trying to collect vital resources and survive attacks from marauders outside their towns.

As the story progresses though, Roy, the main character starts to realize that all is not as it appears to be, and starts asking questions, which is dangerous in a society where intellect is not admired or
Jules
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free
2 1/2 stars

It was okay and I kind of liked it. Especially the flashbacks of the main character were interesting. I wished, the author could have started the book with Roys childhood and not just dealt with it in flashbacks. I would have bonded with he character and the "world" a little more.

Characters in general were pretty flat, especially Lily and Benny seemed to be just some dummies. But I liked the setting and the mystery of the story.

Unfortunately, it was all over so fast and the focus on
Kim
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. A short and easy read with an interesting plot. it is essentially a SCI FI novel about alien invasion. It is set in the future, a world that has been devastated by the deadly Passim virus. It is about survival and territorial control. The characters are believable. There is just the right amount of suspense. The author could have developed further the use of symbols e.g. NSEW this was an interesting aside but not fully developed or threaded through the story effectively. A ...more
Bob
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
California in the future when most of the world population has been wiped out by an unknown virus finds small enclaves up and down the coast connected by trade and policed by an overall police force. Study, and education are frowned upon except for what is need for a person's particular job in their town. When a trouble shooter from a town that supplies water from a desalination plant goes out to investigate a malfunctioning pump it the pipeline he makes a discovery that there is more going on ...more
J. Henry
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good escapist story.

The main protagonist was fairly well drawn and the pacing was quick. This was bit of fun drawn out across a decently developed future mythos. One certainly needs to suspend disbelief here and there, and the last few chapters seemed a bit rushed and choppy, but overall it was solid and entertaining 3 1/2 stars.
It just seemed to me the characters in the second half of the book were underdeveloped. I liked it. It just left me a bit wanting at the abrupt and somewhat B-movie
Chuck
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
H2O, something is happening to water on earth and nobody knows about it. What do you do when you find out that dozens of tanker trucks are taking thousands of gallons of water into a vast wasteland and nobody knows about it. This is a sci-fi book that follows the path of Roy Walker as he tries to find out the truth about the missing water, his missing father and a girl maned Lily. I like this book ( probably the start of a series). I would have liked it better if the author did not try to leave ...more
Deedra
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was gifted to me for an honest review.I thought that it would be a great read,but,nothing in the book stuck with me.The characters plight of being in a PA world where knowledge is forgotten is one that is interesting.Rediscovering things that people USED to do is seen as nonessential to daily getting by in the territory.We do know that water is finite and truckloads of it are being shipped to a tank,not for safekeeping but for another use.
Paul Heitsch was a fine narrator for this
Britanny L Grossman
Good can't wait till book 2

Read this book in about 2 days. It's fasted paced and a very easy read, nothing to complicated. With that said a few twists I could predict, but the main question, where is the water going?, well the answer wasn't on my radar but after I found out the "twists" and "why" we're easy to guess. There was action and some close calls, and I will be getting book two whenever it comes out. So don't expect a complicated read. But it is a good book like main character like the
Mary
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, ebooks
H2O is set in a somewhat dystopian future where the Earth is peopled by widely-scattered, discrete communities which are each based around the functions they can provide to others, energy, mining, transport. The protagonist becomes curious about this and, encouraged by a stranger, sets out to explore the wider surroundings and find out what is really going on. I enjoyed this more than I expected. The plot pulled me along for most of the book but seemed to lose its way a bit in the last third.
« previous 1 3 next »
Book Promotions: Sci-Fi with Adventure & Suspense 1 4 Apr 03, 2014 10:04PM

• Windigo Soul
  • Babel-17
  • Love That Dog (Jack, #1)
  • The Shock (After, #1)
  • Them Bones
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1)
  • Melt
  • The Woman Who Killed Donald Trump
  • Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard, #1)
  • The Veritas Deception
  • A Christmas Memory
  • Freezing Point (After the Shift #1)
  • Pygmy
  • Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You
  • The Elm House: A Horror Novel
  • Fade
  • Sierra Bravo (Harriet Walsh, #3)
Irving Belateche is an author, screenwriter, and adjunct professor at the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts. He's written three Amazon bestsellers: "Einstein's Secret," "H2O," and "Under An Orange Sun, Some Days Are Blue." He's also written screenplays for Paramount, Universal, Sony, Lionsgate and Warner Bros. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and son.