Start by marking “The Magus” as Want to Read:
The Magus

The Magus

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  42,636 ratings  ·  2,415 reviews
On a remote Greek Island, Nicholas Urfe finds himself embroiled in the deceptions of a master trickster. As reality and illusion intertwine, Urfe is caught up in the darkest of psychological games. John Fowles expertly unfolds a tale that is lush with over-powering imagery in a spellbinding exploration of human complexities. By turns disturbing, thrilling and seductive, Th ...more
Published November 4th 2004 by Vintage Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Magus, please sign up.
John King
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  42,636 ratings  ·  2,415 reviews

Glenn Russell
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

""The Magus" is a stunner, magnificent in ambition, supple and gorgeous in execution. It fits no neat category; it is at once a pyrotechnical extravaganza, a wild, hilarious charade, a dynamo of suspense and horror, a profoundly serious probing into the nature of moral consciousness, a dizzying, electrifying chase through the labyrinth of the soul, an allegorical romance, a sophisticated account of modern love, a ghost story that will send shivers racing down the spine. Lush, compulsive, richly
MacK
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, brit-lit
My students like to use the made up word, "unputdownable." I always laugh at this. I can always put down a book, I can even put down this one. The problem is, I can't seem to stop picking it up again.

We are thrown, whether we like it or not into the addled frantic mind of Nicholas Urfe, a man in the middle of a suspenseful psychological experiment. The only problem is, without telling us, Fowles turns it into a suspenseful philosophical experiment as well. We are left never fully knowing what is
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Ανήκει στην κατηγορία των βιβλίων που δεν θα ξεχάσεις ποτέ όταν το διαβάσεις. Έχει μια μυστηριακή πολύπλοκη και πολυεπίπεδη γοητεία που διεισδύει στο μυαλό και σε παρασύρει σε μια δοκιμασία αυτογνωσίας.

Με ολοφάνερη την αγάπη του συγγραφέα για την Ελλάδα της απόλυτης γεωφυσικής και πολιτιστικής θεϊκής κληρονομιάς της, μας μεταφέρει σε ένα ελληνικό νησί όπου συντελείται το μυστήριο-φαντασία-πραγματικότητα,απόκρυφη ανθρώπινη φυση-ελευθερία και αυτοπραγμάτωση- διαλογισμός.

Ο φλεγματικός Άγγλος καθη
Jaidee
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers of rebirth
Recommended to Jaidee by: Age of Aquarius
Shelves: five-stars-books
5 "cinematic, psychosexual thriller" stars !!

6th Favorite Read of 2018

This is a book that can be easily dismissed when we are guarded, cynical, fearful or imperious. I started this book at a remote location with very small font that hurt my trifocal vision....and yet....amidst mosquitoes, overheating and copious amounts of food I returned over and over until my vision gave out and I fouind a larger print Anita Brookner to round out my week. I returned to an e-copy on my return.

However this b
Jessica Baxter
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book fucked me up. i suppose it could be defined as a "psychological thriller" but its very jungian, steeped in metaphor and symbolism and eroticisim and mythology and shakespeare. its also an intense love story of sorts, the main character is a completely fleshed out, real, flawed person who you relate to and fear for and empathize with. the premise is that this british guy gets a teaching job on a small island in greece soon after WWII ends and becomes intwined in the lives/mind games of ...more
باقر هاشمی
یک هوس باز حرفهای به ندرت، انسانی قابل ترحم است.|ساد

imgurl.ir

نمیدانم این رمان را از چه زاویهای تعریف کنم؟ نمی دانم آن را در چه دستهای قرار دهم؟ روانشاسی؟ تغزّلی؟ عرفانی؟ راز آلود؟ جنایی؟ اخلاقی؟ مجوس همهی اینها را در خود دارد و پیچیده در لایههایی مبهم و رازآلود است. اما چیزی که با یقین میتوانم بگویم این است که مجوس یک رمان استعاری است. و احساسم نسبت به عکس بالا، احساسی است شبیه به احساسم نسبت به رمان مجوس.

مرکزِ پنهانِ این رمان به گمانم در همان اولین جمله ای که به نقل از ساد آورده است، خلاصه می شود. (v

Shovelmonkey1
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to be bamboozled in extremis
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list
Here on Goodreads, rather than judging a book by its cover, it is always handier to judge a book based on what your friends and people you are following had to say about it after it had passed under their beady eyes.

I have 91 friends here on Goodreads and follow 6 people and of the 12 friends and three people I'm following, only one (Kingfan30) wrote a review. Even the more loquacious members of the group have chosen to remain silent - Karen, Mike and PetraX - not a jot or a scribble (yet). I c
Julie Christine
Oh boy. Here's the thing: If you read this novel as a citizen of 2010, a member of our hyper-speed, uber-connected modern society that navel-gazes in 140 word bytes with little interest in true introspection, The Magus will seem almost comical in its psycho-thrilling, Jungian dribbling plot and Baroque-meets-mod writing style.

If you, dear reader, consider that The Magus was partially written nearly 60 years ago (begun in the early 50s, published in '65, revised in '76), its risky political and
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Nicholas Urfe, an Oxford graduate post-war, with no direction and a slight hint of nymphomania, travels to Greece to work as an English teacher on the remote island of Phraxos, mostly to get away from an Australian girl he shagged but doesn't love and wants to ditch.

Unsurprisingly, the remoteness is boring and he is drawn to browsing the island, where he finds an even more remote house in which lives
Deniz Balcı
Kitap sanki benim kitabımmış gibi sayfasına girip okuyucular ne demiş, beğenmiş mi beğenmemiş mi diye kontrol edeyim demiştim ki, yorum yapmamış olduğumu gördüm. Çok şaşırdım. Bu kadar çok beğendiğim, beni bu kadar derinden etkileyen bir kitaba nasıl yorum yapmam diye kendime kızdım. Herhalde okuduğum dönemde kitabın hemen ardından bir şey demek istemedim, çünkü ciddi etkilenmişliğimle sağlıklı yazamazdım. Fakat aradan onca zaman geçti, bende ki fikirler, duygular, izlenimler hala aynı.

Bazı arka
Beth
Jun 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what this book was about. The prose style was nice, but the plot was completely unfathomable. I decided about a third of the way through the book that it was one of the worst things I had ever read. But, due to some strange self-flagellatory compulsion, I told myself there was no way I was going to let it beat me, so I slogged through, teeth clenched, until the end. I found out later that they actually made a movie out of it. About the film, Woody Allen is to have said, "If I could ...more
Guille
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Una de las muchas preguntas que el libro contiene, expresa o tácitamente, es aquella que dice ¿Qué es lo que bebes, el agua o la ola? Pues bien, yo me bebí la ola como con meses de sed atrasada. Un texto brillantemente escrito, como me tiene acostumbrado el autor, capaz tanto de conducirte con ligereza y suavidad a hermosas e idílicas playas, como de voltearte hasta la desorientación o estrellarte contra las rocas de la sinrazón, y ello sin abandonar la elegancia, sin perder esa capacidad de per ...more
❄️Nani❄️
3.75⭐

Yes. Yes. Yes! I made it!!! My final book of 2017!!💃🏻

Oh and Nicholas, You deserve everything!😡

RTC
Eliasdgian
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο μάγος, λοιπόν. Επτακόσιες εβδομήντα πέντε σελίδες μετά (εξακολουθώ να) αναρωτιέμαι αν μπορώ στ’ αλήθεια, εν είδει κριτικής αποτίμησης, να συμπτύξω σε μερικές γραμμές όσα ένιωσα διαβάζοντάς τον. Αν, τελικά, μπορώ να εξηγήσω λογικά καθετί που αναδύθηκε στις σελίδες του ή, πολύ περισσότερο, να βεβαιώσω με παρρησία ότι, ναι, αντιλήφθηκα με βεβαιότητα τι ήταν λογικό εδώ μέσα και τι η αντανάκλασή του• πού ο John Fowles αναφερόταν στην πραγματικότητα και πού ύφαινε πάνω της.

Ας ειπωθεί μονάχα ότι όλ
Simon
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS!

Well, everything one might say about this book could be taken as a spoiler, including this very remark.

The book is a pretty good read, or it would have been if it had weighed in at two hundred or so pages shorter. And, given that the book is entirely a gradual denouement, one has to admire Fowles's skill in controlling it over such a long span, like a musician making a hugely long crescendo.

But I guess in the end, I didn't much like the book. In the 'trial' scene, a report is read out a
Gorkem
Maestro Fowles

2015 yılında ingilizce olarak okuduğum Büyücü, benim en çok etkilendiğim kitaplar içinde yer almaktadır. Yorum kısmında ingilizcenin de yer almasının temel nedeni bundan kaynaklanıyor.

Öncelikle bu eseri yorumlamak haddim değil cidden eserin büyüklüğünden dolayı; fakat eserin halen geçmişte olduğu gibi hakkının yendiğini görünce ve "hatta sıkıcı" olarak adlandırılması içimi parçalanıyor ve ister istemezi Fowles'in avukatı olma isteğine sürüklüyor beni.

Bu nedenle bir yerden çok fa
Sawsan
قد تكون أسباب التجربة التي مر بها غير مهمة لكن الأهم كانت موضوعات وإشارات السرد
الرواية ت
Szplug
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have rarely been so unpleasantly surprised - and bitterly disappointed - by the sudden turn that a novel takes as with the abrupt shift that occurs roughly mid-way through John Fowles The Magus. The first half introduced the ethereal, creepy and gripping experiences of the young Englishman Nicholas Urfe, estranged from his Australian girlfriend Alison and teaching at a boys school on the remote Greek island of Phraxos. Thoroughly disenchanted with the course his life has taken, and gauging wit ...more
Panagiotis
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ο Μάγος του Φάουλς είναι ένα από εκείνα τα βιβλία που που όλοι ξέρουμε, αλλά πολλοί δεν έχουμε διαβάσει. Προσωπικά το είχα απωλέσει σε εκείνη την επικράτεια που πάνε όλα τα αργοπορημένα αναγνώσματα: αν δεν έχουν διαβαστεί στην ώρα τους, δηλαδή σε μια ηλικία που ήμουν πιο διαλλακτικός αρκεί να είχε το βιβλίο την φερεγγυότητα της ευρείας αποδοχής, τότε ας μείνει στην σκόνη της άγνοιας. Δεν χάθηκε κι ο κόσμος. Ευτυχώς για μένα, υποχώρησα στις πιέσεις της αδερφής μου και το διάβασα. Θα ήταν μια τερά ...more
Darwin8u
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There is no plan. All is hazard. And the only thing that will preserve us is ourselves.”
― John Fowles, The Magus

description

What is written here must remain hid(view spoiler)
Oriana
Oh god, I totally totally hated this boring, rambling, long-as-shit book.
Vaso
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brace-18
Το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο είναι αρκετά ιδιαίτερο, περίπλοκο ως την εξέλιξη και την πλοκή και σίγουρα δεν μοιάζει με κανένα άλλο.
Ένα βιβλίο στο οποίο είναι διάχυτη η αγάπη του συγγραφέα για την Ελλάδα.
Ένα βιβλίο που η πραγματικότητα με τη φαντασία εναλλάσσονται.
Ένα βιβλίο με ιδεολογικές και υπαρξιακές προεκτάσεις.
Ένα βιβλίο, που δεν υπάρχει περίπτωση να ξεχάσεις.

Perry
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystical Sirens on Lush Greek Isle Toy with Reality, Fidelity

description
"We've all been playing those mind games forever
Some kinda druid dudes lifting the veil
Doing the mind guerrilla
Some call it magic, the search for the grail"
Lennon, Mind Games, 1973.
[[4.25 stars]]

John Fowles’ now underappreciated novel, where not much is as it seems, is a mystical morality play on love, truth, maturity, reality, and betrayal, both sexual and emotional. The Magus is set on a lush Greek island, limned by the legends o
Ian "Marvin" Graye
The Canon is What Our Friends Write

“The Magus” is a novel that achieves everything that most of the books pushed and promoted by white American male post-modernists fail to.

It’s genuinely innovative in form. Its form follows and complements its substance. Its narrative style reflects its metaphysical concerns. It doesn’t just name-drop post-modern philosophers or concepts, resembling a cut and paste from an undergraduate philosophy textbook. It genuinely explores the issues in a fictional way.

Th
Mona
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strangely Disturbing Novel, Many Possible Interpretations

This novel is particularly tough to review. It's even tough to rate. I'm very ambivalent about this book. It was interesting, but also frustrating.

The Magus certainly won't be suitable for people who have Twitter-induced Attention Deficit Disorder and must have quick action and a fast pace.

The book's pace is majestically slow, and it takes quite awhile for anything to happen.

It's wordy, too.

In short, it's an old-fashioned novel and it's a
Banushka
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yıllardır beklettiğim bir romandı. her gece 150 sayfa kadar okudum, bir gece sağdan bir gece soldan tokatlandım. fowles ana karakteriyle birlikte okuru da duvardan duvara çarpıyor.
psikoloji, insan davranışı, aşk, kimlik... bunun yanında ingiltere tarihi, 2. dünya savaşında yunanistan'da yaşananlar... yok yok romanda.
mutlaka ve dikkatle okunması gereken bir başyapıt.
Smand
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kitaplık, favorites
Beş ay önce kitabı okuduğumda 3 yıldız vermiş ve sevip sevmediğim konusunda emin olamamıştım. Tahmin ettiğim gibi, zaman içinde 3 yıldızı hak etmediğine emin oldum ve favorilerimden biri haline geldi. Okurun zihnini aylarca meşgul edebilen kitaplar iyi ki var!
_________________________________________

Büyücü hakkında ne düşünmeliyim bilmiyorum. İlginç bir okuma deneyimi oldu benim için. Kısa bir sürede okuduysam da bunu hikayeye bayıldığım için değil, ufak çaplı bir sinir harbine girdiğimden başa
Evan
Reading The Magus was like holding a mirror up to my life, not knowing who it is I'm looking at, not fully understanding where I am or where I've been, and even less certain of where I am going -- not certain of what lessons I've learned or am supposed to be learning, adrift and perplexed about issues of morality/immorality/amorality, not wholly certain if the things I seek and desire aren't already right here in front of me.

I think it's safe to say that The Magus was one of the most profoundly
Robin
Conspiracy Theorist Fantasy

Oh, brother.

I had high hopes for this book. Such high hopes.

I read and really enjoyed The Collector. John Fowles is a wonderful writer. This book is no exception. This story takes place mainly in Greece, on the island of Phraxos, where English 20-something misogynist Nicholas Urfe goes to escape his recent relationship with his Australian girlfriend, Alison. He meets an enigmatic man who looks like Pablo Picasso, named Maurice Conchis. And then the inexplicable, the su
Maria Clara
Con sinceridad, no sé qué decir. Después de haber leído La mujer del teniente frances supe que volvería a leer otra novela de este escritor. Lo que ignoraba era que este no era el libro que tendría que haber leído. Si tuviera que definir en una palabra cómo me siento ahora, solo podría decir que CANSADA. Cansada de tanta mentira. Cansada del juego de Conchis. Cansada de los actores. Cansada de todo.
Oldtimer - Klasik...: Büyücü - Şubat 2019 Modern Klasik Okuması 12 67 Mar 08, 2019 04:53AM
Şubat 2019 - Moden Klasik Okuması 1 2 Feb 01, 2019 12:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover photo and info 2 17 Oct 16, 2018 01:40PM
his "moments of pederasty" stopped me cold 3 142 Sep 10, 2018 05:25AM
De Sade Translations? 6 595 May 11, 2018 10:09AM
9C Bookclub: related actor and movies 1 3 Nov 06, 2017 05:48PM
Romania: August: Magicianul de John Fowles 31 124 Sep 19, 2017 08:03AM
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 4th Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #10-12)
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Old Wives' Tale
  • Point Counter Point
  • A High Wind in Jamaica
  • The Way of All Flesh
  • Balthazar (The Alexandria Quartet #2)
  • One Lonely Night
  • Parade's End
  • Tobacco Road
  • The Ginger Man
  • The Chymical Wedding
  • Appointment in Samarra
John Robert Fowles was born in Leigh-on-Sea, a small town in Essex. He recalled the English suburban culture of the 1930s as oppressively conformist and his family life as intensely conventional. Of his childhood, Fowles said "I have tried to escape ever since."

Fowles attended Bedford School, a large boarding school designed to prepare boys for university, from ages 13 to 18. After briefly attendi
“The human race is unimportant. It is the self that must not be betrayed."

"I suppose one could say that Hitler didn't betray his self."

"You are right. He did not. But millions of Germans did betray their selves. That was the tragedy. Not that one man had the courage to be evil. But that millions had not the courage to be good.”
408 likes
“To write poetry and to commit suicide, apparently so contradictory, had really been the same, attempts at escape.” 213 likes