Start by marking “Road to Seeing” as Want to Read:
Road to Seeing

Road to Seeing

After beginning his career as a photojournalist for a daily newspaper in southern California, Dan Winters moved to New York to begin a celebrated career that has since led to more than one hundred awards, including the Alfred Eisenstaedt Award for Magazine Photography. An immensely respected portrait photographer, Dan is well known for an impeccable use of light, color, an ...more
Published January 14th 2014 by New Riders Publishing (first published April 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Road to Seeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road to Seeing

Start your review of Road to Seeing
Ken
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are books that I get to the end of with relief and others I get to the end with some sadness that it was over. This book fits in the latter category. The end snuck up on me. When I finished I sat there for a while, thinking it over. I have been going through this book slowly over the past few weeks, and now that it is complete I will miss it.

Since this is an art book I should note the book's physical characteristics. It is sized like a typical college textbook and is HEAVY. The pages are t
Joshua Tintner
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photobooks
I finished this book with a deeper appreciation for Dan Winters' photos, but also with a profound respect for the man behind the images. This is the first photo book where the photographer's words touched me more than his images, and that is not intended to take anything away from his images (which include photographs, photograms, collage). This is Dan Winters as teacher and mentor; yes, he provides various levels of instruction on making great images (although no light-setups or detailed tech i ...more
Vince Hemingson
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a must have book for photographers and photography book collectors. If you don't know Dan Winters work, you should. The Road to Seeing is a passionate, considered, thoughtful and insightful autobiographical examination of his career, and the mentors and photographic work that influenced his personal style and evolution as an artist. This will be a book that you can go back to time and again, and you'll take away something new every time.
Krusher Basta
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
This is a great read, not just for the photography enthusiast, but anyone with an interest in art. Dan Winters goes far beyond the technical aspects of his shots, he delves into the entire process including the inspiration that went into his work as well as any lasting effects they may have engendered. There is a particularly poignant story about his coverage of a forest fire fighting squad. Read this book, you will not regret it.
Eric Gitonga
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a superb book! Well worth every single penny. Dan Winters does a great job detailing his journey to becoming the artist he is today. And the photographs included in the book are simply amazing. I also got to learn quite a bit of photography history, which he touches on very well.
Steve Losh
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great book. It's a bit heavy at first but see it through and you'll love it.
Ryan Watkins
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Dan Winters The Road to Seeing is one of the most beautiful books I own. This book is part autiobiography and part coffee table book. Winters starts the book with an autiographical look at his career and then transitions into talking about specific commercial images he has photographed. Next he transitions to other art work of his like illustration, photograms, and xerographs. He finishes the book my discussing his personal work which includes a lengthy explanation of the history of street photo ...more
Geoff
Feb 13, 2020 added it
After years of starting then stopping this doorstop book on how photographer sees photography, his life, his works, and the work of others, I finally pushed and finished it. A thick book, this is only about half photos. The rest is all text on photography. Both (words & pictures) are inspiring. Both are really only starting points into his work and into how to apply it to my own photo work. ...more
Laurie Gougher
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful and Generous Insights From a True Craftsman

A practical yet relaxed revelation of how Dan Winters work was inspired by his artistic forebears and contemporary associates. A must read for any creative. 5 Stars.
Kima Sargsyan
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
All-in-all, it is a gorgeous book that I highly recommend everybody to invest in if you are interested in photography. Dan shares so much valuable information about the history of photography, the works of various photographers and interesting stories behind some iconic photos.
Kirill Nikolenko
Amazing book

Amazing book. I highly recommend it to anyone who interested in photography. It is deep personal feelings and experience of one photographer, but beautifully written.
Jack Baty
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I was looking for some creative inspiration. Dan Winters' description of his photographic journey provided.
Peter
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As technically brilliant as Winters' photography can be, this book's title says it all. Seeing is a journey, an exercise whether you shoot with a smartphone or a Hasselblad.
Richard
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd rate this as one of the best photo-based books I've ever read. Note, this is not a how-to book, but the perceptive reader will find a wealth of inspiration within its pages on what moves a photographer to make an image. As Dan Winters emphasizes from the beginning page, a firm grasp of the subtleties of our lives can only be obtained by stopping, and savoring the moments we are living. Being conscious of what we are experiencing, and not simply engaging in busy activity, is how we grow our a ...more
Alan
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is unlike any other photography book I've read -- and not just because it's some 700 pages in length. Winters presents his thoughts as a photographic memoir and invites the reader to a chat about his formative experiences and learning on the way to becoming a highly successful businessman and artist. I was impressed not only by Winters' enthusiasm and drive, but also by his ability to relate his story in a human and unaffected way. He is unstinting in his praise and appreciation of others - ...more
Jennie
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A heavy book but stacked with talent. A must buy coffee table book with a few stars that I had the pleasure to meet and/or brush shoulders with.

Dan's eye is awesome with a great mix of black and whites as well as colour. Candid, poignant, introspective and unique, this book is bound to attract you and entice you to take some pictures.

My only complaint is the weight or it would be 5 stars. I feel like it would have fared better as an oversized book.

Refreshing take on photography as an art form m
Joe
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dan Winters is one of my favorite contemporary Photographers. This book provides the background for his Path to creativity. Dan provides no technical details for his photography. This is purely a book of inspiration that describes his motivations and interactions as he practices his craft.
A must read for any photographer that emphasizes that the "Why" is more important than the "How".
Mark Higgins
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
This is a book I've read every 6 months since the first edition. It's the 4th time I've read the book and it is a master's level course in photograph. Iit should be on the shelf of every serious photographer.
Rares POP
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
A really good book on photography and the road Dan took to become a photographer. Along with historic facts, there are advices spread across the whole book and references to great masters of photography. Really a must-read for photography passionate.
Jason Patz
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic work and insightful prose.
Meizi
Mar 05, 2014 added it
Shelves: foto
Absolutely amazing
Jim
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great look into the habits and perspectives of a very gifted photographer. Recommended for any one interested in photography as art or profession.
Katie
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such an amazing photographer. I learned a ton about him and his work. About photography in general. A very good read and a beautiful array of art within. Happy to have in my collection.
Allan
Jul 07, 2017
Ryan Brenizer
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Gregory Heisler: 50 Portraits: Stories and Techniques from a Photographer's Photographer
  • The Americans
  • Simon: Passionate Photographer
  • Studio Anywhere: A Photographer's Guide to Shooting in Unconventional Locations
  • The Suffering of Light
  • The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be
  • Joel Meyerowitz
  • Joel Meyerowitz: Retrospective
  • Where I Find Myself: A Lifetime Retrospective
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)

News & Interviews

“I now find peace in the realization that countless potential masterpieces happen each moment the world over and go unphotographed. The world owes a great debt to all those who have, from a state of exceptional awareness, preserved stillness for us to hold.” 1 likes