Start by marking “Buddhist Boot Camp” as Want to Read:
Buddhist Boot Camp

Buddhist Boot Camp

A collection of short journal entries and letters sent to friends over the course of an eight-year journey to mindful living. Buddhism is all about training the mind, and boot camp is an ideal training method for this generation's short attention span. The chapters in this small book can be read in any order, and are simple and easy to understand. Each story, inspirational ...more
Published February 19th 2013 by HarperOne (first published May 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Buddhist Boot Camp, please sign up.
Kim It's easy to judge a book by it's cover. It's ok. Yes, one can read books for free at the library or at other places such as temples if the person can…moreIt's easy to judge a book by it's cover. It's ok. Yes, one can read books for free at the library or at other places such as temples if the person can read in the actual language. They can even learn from monks if they choose. The Buddha says to question everything. You can read the book or not.(less)

Start your review of Buddhist Boot Camp
Nathaniel Hathaway
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this as an audible book. Something I think everyone should truly listen to. It's something that I wish I had heard about 20 years ago. It's almost like having a conversation with a new friend that's already made all the mistakes you have and gives gentle advice.
Erin
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After posting on FB the other day that I had some soul-searching to do, a friend offered to mail me a copy of this book. I received it Monday and read 1/2 of it then and finished up the last few pages today.

First off, I will admit I did not have much knowledge about Buddhism prior to reading this book. And I should add I am definitely not a religious person to say the least. I have my own personal beliefs but religion as a whole turns me off.

This book resonated so much with me. And yes it's tr
Kelli
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-fiction
I could easily fill this review with quotes from the book, but who really wants that? Instead I will say that this book felt very authentic to me. The author states his intentions right in the beginning: to awaken, enlighten, enrich, and inspire. This book is packed with stories, anecdotes, and wisdom that can only make the world a better place. It presents a different perspective on many things and it seems to be kind advice that would be acceptable in any religion. The author never comes acros ...more
me
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism
This book reminds me of Tiny Buddha, Simple Wisdom.

This is a nice and somewhat innocent book. Being in the second half of my life, I find the author young.

The other thing I find with this book is that it doesn't address deep pains such as war, poverty, trauma, rape,genocide, loss, betrayal, etc.

The book would have been great for me to read when I was a teen. Overall, I hope he continues to write as he ages. Younger people can definitely benefit.

Emmy
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First things first, I'm not religious and he's very clear that you can be totally free from religion or practice any faith and get something out of this book. He's right about that. The things he says fit into anyone's life and go against no religious belief that I'm aware of. I think they would only enhance anything you currently practice. This is a very quick read, but its a book I can see myself reading multiple times. There's nothing new or revolutionary here, but it is raw and honest and it ...more
Deborah
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book, I read it, and then I bought more copies to give to my friends. It's a great little book that you can dip in and out of and refer to when you need a little clarity in your life. Every page is a separate read. If everyone lived with these principles, the world would be a wonderful place. I highly recommend it.
Charles
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. Very basic, but OK for those who are new to Buddhism. The author does not appear to have a lot of experience with Buddhism. Some of the ideas Buddhist thought he presents is incorrect. However, this is a book I could recommend to someone who could benefit from adding some simplicity and less ego to their life.
Edwin Mcallister
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Chicken Soup for the Buddhist Soul.

OK, I admit to having not finished much of this book, partly because the more I thought about the author's name, the less I felt able to renounce my desire to punch him in the face. Also, as far as I can tell, this guy is like the Joel Osteen of Buddhism. He takes all the positive, attractive, new-agey sounding love stuff and leaves out anything smacking of critical self-examination or of being enlightened to the actual, literal meaninglessness of life, the un
Adam Watson
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
There were moments and messages in Hawkeye's book that, while not necessarily groundbreaking or new, are worth repeating. One of his messages is to increase gratitude for life; by "feeding" gratitude more than anger or fear, those other negative emotions will atrophy. This is definitely one I need to work on.

The anecdotes about Hawkeye's personal life is scattered throughout, and this creates a fascinating, sometimes jarring experience with his Zen teachings. I almost wish he wrote a
Rick Gardner
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
A "boot camp" - such as military or fitness boot camp - is usually a short but intensive period of indoctrination into a system or process. "Buddhist Boot Camp" does not fit that description.

For the seasoned Buddhist, with years of meditative experience and familiarity with the teachings of the Buddha, this probably is NOT the book for you. For the person with little (read: no) familiarity with Buddhism, or someone who isn't interested in learning any of the deeper tenets of Buddhism
Lisa Baggerman
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book, and I'm certain this will be one I will return to. It is a seriously quick read, and unlike a lot of self-help/religious books, not so heavy or dogmatic that it is hard to digest (or stomach, for that matter). Little elements of this book keep coming back to me, which is a great sign. I love following Timber on Facebook, too!
Jamie
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
I will read this book multiple times. Good stuff!
Geoff
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Demystifies Buddhism for the average Joe............a great introduction to ways of making changes in your life without the worry of having to become a Buddhist
Craig Fiebig
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our son expressed interest in buddhism so I grabbed this in the SF airport the other day to simply learn more than I knew. This was easy because I basically know nothing about buddhism. Hawkeye's book was a fun and intriguing introduction. I'm glad Tommy pointed me in this direction and look forward to reading more in my next dip in these waters.
Kaleb Phillips
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that will actually help you. It does not give you a secret code to unlock the mysteries of the universe, nor does it tell you how to win a million dollars. This book helps you change your perspective about the things happening in your life, and how to see a silver lining, and teach you the one true way to a happy life: Be kind.
Marlies
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Ended up making notes within the book. This is nothing new but simply reminders of how we should act on a daily basis. I've re-read it an additional 2 times.
Kenny
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very insightful book on how simple it is to lead a simple, grateful, life.
Michele Harrod
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh this wonderful, wonderful little book. I almost don't want to say that it has been 'read' and file it away - as it's one that should be checked in with, often. Like a good trainer, Timber Hawkeye knows that we need encouragement and motivation to stay on track. This is 'fitness' for the soul. If I could I would buy a copy for every child in the world, to help spread these teachings - of the very fundamental principles of love and respect.

And then I would secure a copy for every adult, everyw
Sommer Marsden
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started this little book yesterday afternoon. In between the many things I managed to do between then and now, I finished it. I loved it. It's a borrowed book from the library but I plan to buy a copy for the house. Possibly a few to give out to friends. It's a book that begged to be opened back up to page 1 and started again. I loved how simple but profound it was. It nutshelled many Buddhist beliefs and practices and made them easy to digest and understand. I recommend it highly to anyone, f ...more
Adrian Gaucher
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is written so beautifully I wish there were more like it. Offering the opportunity to read it in small byte sized pieces in any order you want. Using short stories to explain the philosophy without claiming any rights to rules or commandments. It is truly written by a buddha who understands the philosophy.
Denise
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Buddhist Boot Camp. Nothing new really but fresh and young in its presentation. It's easy to forget that the opposite of one's beliefs is also true among other things. It's a keeper and one of those books I'll keep handy and read again in snippets.
Diane Burgbacher
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear and concise and really hits the point home.
Stef
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read to remind us of what's important in our lives!
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simply beautiful must read!
Linda Kissam
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As the author explains, this is not a book about Buddhism. What it is, is a collection of inspirational thoughts and directives to help the reader go within and around themselves to awaken, enrich and inspire. You do not need to be Buddhist – or even thinking about becoming a Buddhist-- to enjoy or benefit from this book.

The author has a diverse background. On page 140 he explains, “I am a lot of things, yet not one of them defines me. Although I am technically Jewish, my mantra is H
Martel
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shohaz
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
I have never read a book about Buddhism and I did not know anything about Buddhism.But when I read Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye
Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye ("Bhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ).I come to know about Buddhism and how it is important to our life.Today i know that what is Buddhism and is all about training the mind,and boot is an ideal training method for generation short attention span.
This is al
Ellen Pilch
Mar 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book. I read about half of it and it was OK, nothing new. Then there were 2 pages where the author lists all his past sins. He lists having abused a dog and killed 2 cats. I was mortified and certainly not in a Buddhist relaxed state after that. I don't care how reformed he is now, what he did is unforgiveable and I don't think anyone should buy this book or waste their time reading it.
Crystal
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of enjoyed the conversational, non-academic tone, but felt it was not as strongly written as it could have been, with noticeable typos. It was light on philosophy, mostly focusing on anecdotes and trite sayings. I didn't dislike the book, but it is hardly a "boot camp" and feels shallow and occasionally "preachy." I'd recommend this book to the self help crowd that doesn't necessarily care about Buddhism itself but is rather simply trying to find a "better" way to live.
Amanda
Aug 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
I couldn't stick with this. Too random and general for my brain to latch on to. Sort of like reading someone's journal or blog entries (my own even) where you as the reader aren't getting the whole picture or even pure nuggets; instead just a series of thoughts put to page; little snippets of ideas never fully fleshed out. Might appeal to some Buddhism newbies. I might even have at it again some day; look on it with fresh eyes. But that day is not today.
The Best Camping Gear & Camping product of-2019!! 1 2 Aug 23, 2019 10:11AM

• Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Simple Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly and Being Buddha
  • The Art of Communicating
  • Climbing With Mollie
  • Breakfast at the Victory: The Mysticism of Ordinary Experience
  • Tonglen: The Path of Transformation
  • Parasite Eve
  • No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners: Clear Answers to Burning Questions About Core Buddhist Teachings
  • Shut Up and Listen!: Hard Business Truths that Will Help You Succeed
  • El cártel negro
  • 2018: La salida
  • The Real Estate Coach (Instant Success Series)
  • God's Not Dead: Evidence for God in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Biblia Católica Romana
  • Juntos hicimos historia
To make a long story short...

I sat there in front of the Tibetan Lama, wearing my maroon robes after years of studying Buddhism and said, "With all due respect, I don't believe the Buddha ever intended for his teachings to get THIS complicated!"

My teacher looked around at all the statues of deities with multiple arms and said, "The Buddha didn't do this!" he chuckled, "The
“Wouldn’t it be great to stop, if only for a minute on a regular basis, and reflect on how wonderful everything is?” 27 likes
“Treat every living being, including yourself, with kindness, and the world will immediately be a better place.” 27 likes