Start by marking “Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)

Fire Within

(Guardian Witch #2)

A hidden evil stalks the city…

Ari Calin refuses to believe her human friend Eddie murdered a vampire—in spite of his confession. Her human partner Ryan thinks the case is a slam dunk, even though there’s no weapon and no witnesses, but Ari’s not about to let her friend take the rap without finding out more.

When Ari attends a charity event on the arm of a handsome werewolf,
Published March 6th 2013 by Etopia Press

To ask other readers questions about Fire Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Within

Susie
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Kirstin Pulioff
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ally Shields has done it again! In only a way a master of words can do, she has twisted and turned ordinary words into an extraordinary story. Reintroducing us to the familiar characters we loved from the first story and giving us a new mystery to solve.

As a string of vampire murders take place in Riverdale, Ari and her partner have to solve the crime before the vampires handle things on their own, or more bodies show up. When Andreas, the charming and charismatic vampire wiggles his way into t
Diane Major
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this read! The Witch as well as Guardian named Arianna Calin (Ari), with human, Ryan Foster have a murder to solve. The murder soon turns out to be more complicated than it at first appears. Sexy vampire, Andreas de Luca soon makes an appearance and offers his help, much to Ari's dismay. There is a connection between Andreas and Ari that the witch initially wants to go away, however it is this relationship that hooks you into the fast paced storyline. The plot becomes more com ...more
Theresa Davis
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Arianna is back!! I really enjoy Arianna; she has a backbone and is down to earth too! Ari continues to grow with each book. I am so glad that there is no love triangle!!

In the Otherworld you never know where trouble will come from or rather what creature will be causing trouble. But there is never a dull moment. Following along as Ari with the help of Ryan and Andrea solve the mystery of who is killing the vampires and why. I need more of Ari and Andrea, I love there chemistry.

The real mystery
Isis
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this book more than 5 stars? It built from the incredible beginning of the series (read Awakening the Fire first), and then shot off into the stratosphere! I'm still looking for the words to give Fire Within a legitimate review, but it was one of the best books I've read this year and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the story. Ally Shields most definitely has a new loyal reader in me!

Note: I was given a copy of this book for review purposes. This had no effect on my review.
we-are-the-dead
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was good! It felt a little more rushed than the last one, and the yoyo-ing between ari and Andreas was a little frustrating At times.
I'm still glad I read it, but my hope is the author took a step back after this instalment, and that the third book will be written more similar to the first.

Fingers crossed!!!!
Tiki
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this well-written, page-turner!  The 2nd book in this new Urban Fantasy series kept me up reading way too late.  An interesting world with great characters and a well thought out story.... The kind that makes me search websites for info on the next book(s), looking for release schedules, excerpts & extras.

Arianna, a fire witch and guardian for Olde Town, is an interesting and compelling character I want to know more about.  Her magic has a mysterious link to an equally myst
Chanzie
Rating 4.5 / 5 stars

This is the second time that I have read this book and it did not disappoint. I always worry about my early review assessments and wonder if I would rate books differently later on, after I have had a bit more reviewing experience. I love it when I see my opinion doesn't change and my thoughts about the series are consistent.

Ally Shields takes this story to a whole new level. The book is gripping from the first chapter and is filled with action. Guardian Witch is a paranorma
Dan Levinson
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Arianna Calin is a witch. Not only that, she is the Guardian of Riverdale, sanctioned by the Council of Magic — one part detective, one part battle-hardened crime fighter, and all parts tough as nails.

When Ari’s reporter friend, Eddie, confesses to a murder he clearly didn’t commit, it’s up to Ari to investigate the case and uncover the truth.

Ari’s search leads her through the darkened, supernaturally-packed streets of Riverdale’s Olde Town. She encounters vampires, lycanthropes, and no small nu
Nicole
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great adventure of Ari and the crew!

Ari has another murder investigation on her hands but this time it's not something that usually resides in Riverdale. She has vampire bodies slowly piling up and the suspect still unknown.

To top it all off Andreas is back and Ari's feelings for him are still hot as ever.

As the suspect continues to elude them Ari is forced to look within herself and put faith in herself and her magic. Even without the family Book of Shadows she still has enough power
Kath
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So glad Ms. Shields has written engaging Ari and mysterious Andreas into a series. I love a strong, smart, main character, and especially when she's a witch dealing with a complicated vampire and a real variety of other paranormal characters.

Ari's world is as engaging as the Guardian Witch herself. Her adventures move at lightning speed. Which means you'll only lose a couple of nights' sleep at most, because you just won't be able to sleep until you find out who really killed the vampire (not A
Danielle
I'm trying hard to like this series but it's very difficult. Could be because I just finished an awesome series, but I think it's more because the main character is annoying. She reminds me of one of this harlequin women who can't make up their mind unless it's shoved in their face. It's also pretty annoying when you know who did it early on but due to overall denseness on the part of the main character, no one figures that out until the very last.
Runningrabbit
I'm really enjoying this series. I do resent when it's pretty clear from the early stages of the book who-dun-it. Why do novels do this 'forewarned' thing? What is the point of a mystery novel when you can more or less predict where the story's going to go? So many novels and movies do this - I find it really frustrating.

Anyway - still a good series and well written. I am certainly looking forward to the next novel.
These Violent Delights (Robin)
*Note: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

I love the strong female protagonist in this series, which I feel is pretty rare to find in these types of novels. The romance in this one wasn't as awesome and sizzling as I thought it was in the first book.

Great amount of action and suspense to keep me flipping pages!
Charmaine Walker
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one a little more than the first book. Again, its a good read, and I definately recommend it for people who enjoy the paranormal.
Lais Roque
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shannon Heck
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Not progressing

The second book is just as good as the first book except, it's a second book and there should be some development. However, there is very, very little character development going on here. I like the story but it feels like something is missing. I'm willing to give this series one more book, but reluctantly.
Jennifer Hines
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received this book free from Red Moon Book Tours in exchange for an honest review*

Ari almost crossed a line in Awakening the Fire, but thanks to Andreas she didn't. Of course that doesn't mean she's thankful, she's more lost and unsure of herself than anything. The last person she wants to need to Andreas, but when vampires start coming up dead and he's also targeted she'll realize that staying away is no longer an option if she wants to do her job and keep him protected.

Vampires are being mu
Maghon Thomas
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In continuation to book 1, Ari has a crisis. Something is murdering vampires and trying to cause a war! The humans are freaking out, Ari is up a creek without a paddle and things are getting crazier! This is an excellent sequel :) I only have one complaint but I'll get to it later.

Ari is taking her Guardian job serious. She's very committed to her job but when it becomes that she'll be saddled with the sexy vampire Andreas as she's trying very hard to avoid him, things are getting serious. And
A. Gorman
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book I exchange for an honest review. I didn’t know much about it, but when is started reading it, I realized I needed to go back and read the first one. (Go grab it!)

This novel picks up eight months after where the first one ends. Arianna Calin is a witch. Not any old witch, but a fire witch who is the Guardian of Riverdale. She is one awesomely lady er witch! She is a detective and a crime fighter. She is just a bad ass.

Eddie, a reporter friend to Ari, confesses to a murder h
Margaret
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

A hidden evil stalks the city…

When Ari attends a charity event on the arm of a handsome werewolf, she finds someone she never expected to see again—Andreas De Luca, the charismatic vampire she used to date. When their e

Raquel (Rocki)
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-review, e-book
You can find a longer review on my blog: Raquel Gabrielle's Blog

Just as good as the first one was. There is definitely a fire brewing in more ways than one. This series makes me want to keep reading and reading, I don't binge read many series and this one makes me want to do that. The team really needs to figure out how to get rid of Sebastian I don't think he will play nice for too much longer. Right now he is just sending people to mess with the city I don't see it staying that way for long. E
Deena
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, paranormal
This wasn't quite as good as the first one. It lagged in the middle and I was leaning towards a rating of two stars, but it got better at the end - although the two main points (one plot, one over-all story arc) were telegraphed from early in the story. I liked Ari rather less this time - she's painfully lacking in self-awareness, but I'm not sure if it's intentional or just sloppy writing. Additionally, Andreas isn't improving. He seems to want to be Gio from Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental Myster ...more
Diandra
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
As stated in my review for the previous book, Ally Shields is a wonder and can weave a wonderful tale. Keeping the momentum I had in the previous book, I couldn't stop reading and devoured this one quickly.

If you are looking at this review, chances are you read the first book and you don't need me to tell you to continue. But on the off chance you do, Fire Within is just as good if not better. Ari is facing a tough case with the species she has the least relationship with as a whole. She is als
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I still enjoy Ms. Shields' writing style, but the characters really bugged me in this one. Ari acted so immature and childish, and even Ryan got on my nerves. In addition, I figured out the main villain almost immediately. It seemed so painfully obvious who it was that it made the detectives and Ari seem totally inept when they couldn't figure it out.

I think I need a break from this series for a bit. Perhaps I'll check out Cross Keys (An Elvenrude Novel) by Ally Shields instead for a change of pace.
Lyndi W.
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Sooo... I kinda enjoyed the first book after skipping like 50% of it and decided to keep going. I liked this one much more, but I absolutely haaated Ari's constant negative thinking, suspicions, and paranoia when it came to Andreas. For somebody that is supposed to be THE Guardian for vampires, she doesn't know jack shit about them and doesn't think very highly of them, either. It was brutally annoying to read about her doubts and second guessing every time Andreas said or did something.

I'd have
Ruby Ridge
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Not really a paranormal book - more a police book with supernatural names substituted.
Slow read, and unsatisfying conclusion. Took away a star for yet another ridiculous vampire romance. Only good thing about a sparkly vampire is they make a good target.
Will read the next only because I already got it. Recommended for staking practise after you have read how hot Andreas is for the twentieth time
Kelly
Recommends it for: everyone
This book definitely delivers. I found that I enjoyed this book more than the first, which will keep me coming back for more. The chemistry between all the characters is believable and endearing. I suggest this book even if you have not read the first. They both can basically stand by themselves. I am looking forward to reading more about these characters.
Ivanna
mulai muncul romance nya walopun ga banyak....
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Shifting Pride
  • Return of the Dragon Riders (Dragon Stone Saga #2)
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Cascade Brides (Cascade Brides #1-3)
  • Grace Doll
  • Blood Oath (Gabby Girls Adventure, #2)
  • Save the Last Vamp for Me (Discord Jones #3)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • Legend Unleashed (Keeping Secrets, #1)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish (Tennessee Waltz, #1)
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • Playing with Darkness (The Sensor, #3.5)
  • Undercover Magic (Shifty Magic, #2)
  • Death and Kisses
  • Blessed by a Demon’s Mark (Kat Redding, #3)
  • Max Xylander and the Island of Zumuruud
Ally Shields is the author of urban fantasy/paranormal mysteries with a touch of romance.

Her Guardian Witch series was completed in 2015 with the release of the seventh and final book, Eternal Fires. Due to an ongoing story line, Ms Shields recommends this series be read in order, beginning with Awakening the Fire. A series sequel of three books is expected in 2017-2018.

As of June 2017, a sequel s

Guardian Witch (7 books)
  • Awakening the Fire (Guardian Witch, #1)
  • Burning Both Ends (Guardian Witch, #3)
  • Blood and Fire (Guardian Witch, #4)
  • Fire Storm (Guardian Witch, #5)
  • Wild Fire (Guardian Witch, #6)
  • Eternal Fires  (Guardian Witch, #7)
“No hurry, she thought, a warmth growing inside. All the best wines took time.” 1 likes
“she checked her overnight phone messages and found a long message from Ryan about irresponsible reporters and keeping them in jail where they belonged. Despite the seriousness of the situation, Ari suppressed a chuckle. Ryan’s second message, left ten minutes after the first, said, “Never mind. I’ve had my coffee now,” and she laughed out loud.” 0 likes