Start by marking “A Marquess for Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Marquess for Christmas

A Marquess for Christmas (A Marquess for Christmas #1)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A widow in need of rescue. A dissolute Marquess determined not to marry.

When Violet Laurens is accosted on the road by thieves, a handsome stranger comes to her rescue. He is badly injured and doesn’t remember who he is, so she takes him home and cares for him. But the closer they become, the more Violet fears the inevitable moment when he must leave her.

The Marquess of Ki
Published December 16th 2012 by Vivienne Westlake (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Marquess for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Marquess for Christmas

Romance Rating ~ 4 Stars
Heat Level ~ 4 Stars
Ending ~ 3.5 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 4 Stars

I was wanting a Christmas romance and I have to admit the name of the title grabbed me. This book really did not have much to do about Christmas at all but I'm still glad that I read it.

The story started out REALLY good and grabbed me and then It kept me interested all the way through.

The heroine Violet was my favorite character of the book
Andrea Guy
Vivienne Westlake is a good writer of regency romance. In A Marquess For Christmas she created a cast of characters that you will enjoy getting to know. There is only one flaw, it is an erotic regency.

Now I don't have any problems with erotica. I like the genre now and then, but something about the sex scenes in this book didn't ring true for me. Violet likes a little light bondage, nothing major, but there is no rhyme or reason for this.

That's not to say the sex scenes aren't smoking hot or rea
Stephanie
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
ORIGINAL POST on Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
A MARQUESS BY CHRISTMAS A Spicy Holiday Story!

A Marquess for Christmas
Vivienne Westlake
Genre: Regency, erotic romance, historical romance
Word Count: approx. 25K-30K
Cover Artist: Vivienne Westlake
I am a host for Bewitching Book Tours which provides manuscripts for my review. No remuneration is exchanged and all opinions herein are my own except as otherwise noted.

Book Description:

A proper widow. A rakish marquess. He rescued her from thieves, but will
Danae
Ms Westlake has a way with words... two samplers:
"God, Kit"
"Hmmm. I think I like the sound of that. God Kit. Shall I send off a letter to Mount Olympus to request admission to the pantheon?"

"You little tart!"
"I am a little sweet and a little sour. But as much as you like to punish me for my wayward tongue, I think you rather enjoy it."
That he did.

Some of her sensual scenes are erotic and scorch the page so beware if you are the kind who likes their romances clean or sweet. Violet is a widow, a
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ NetGalley

Widow Violet Laurens is rescued from highwaymen by a stranger and when he is injured she takes him home to care for him. When he wakes up with no memory of who he is, other than the name Kit, she and her servants continue to care for him. But as Christmas approaches Violet worries he has a family out there, looking for him, so she does all she can to help him regain his memory. Close contact only increases their attraction to each other until they give into the heat betwe
Tiffany
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
*please note minor spoilers*
Since I've always been a fan of historical romance when I found this book I knew I had to give it a try.
After having yet another fight with his sister over his rouge ways the marquess of Kittrick orders his bags be sent to his home and leaves. What he doesn't know is that on the way something will happen that will change everything. For this is when he meets Violet Laurens, who on her way home is accousted by thieves. when Kit decides to help her he receives a wound t
Shannon   The Romance Addict!
Great Historical Romance! I didn't want the book to end!

h:Violet Laurens is a very strong determined lady. She get what she wants, She actually has a backbone.

H: The Marquess of Kittrick "Kit" is strong willed and kinda "all about me" type. (RAKE) Hes is still lovable though.

So we start with Violet who is attacked by highwaymen. Then Kit comes to her rescue and get injured. So Violets who is  a nurse takes him back and helps him recover. When hes all better he realizes he can't remember anythin
Momma
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I hate to be so predictable but she pretty much had me with the title. I am a softie when it comes to historical romances with 'pedigree'. I just get all weak knee'd at all the my Lord & my Lady 's.. Like a good accent, it just shoots right to me. With that out of the way, I loved Violet. She is a very strong character who knows what she wants and goes for it. *Warning- there are some pretty steamy "adult" scenes that were at some times inventive. I personally love a little steamy in my rom ...more
Linaka
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
It took me 2 days to read this book, but only because I was busy. If I'd had the time I'd have flown through it. I just loved this book. I love that Violet wasn't your typical wallflower maiden who couldn't handle being around a wounded man. That she'd actually worked as a nurse during the war and had a spine of steel. I also like how Kit falls in love against his will. I literally love when a woman brings a haughty man to his knees.

A great read for anytime, not just Christmas.
L.   (Super Easy. Barely An Inconvenience.)
"If you have something to say to me, you say it to me."

This was a refreshing break from the norm all thanks to the character of Violet. Unlike other romance heroines, Violet had a brain in her head, a spine of steel, a heaping helping of Common Sense, and the maturity and honesty to admit she wanted to do the Hero every which way 'til Sunday.

Which she did.

From the first page it was clear I wouldn't't finish this book. Swearing and blatant sexual innuendos ruined what could have been a good story. I imagine it got even more sexually driven, but I didn't finish it. I can't imagine a gentleman calling a lady a b**** or other contemporary slurs, it just didn't even sound like a recency novel.
Robin Malek
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
It seems more lengthy then it is

A little wordy, but well worth the time. Strong characters who have distinctive flaws but still love each other. A different take on the strong women in the 1800's.
Cinzia
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice historical romance novel, a little erotic, is it a good reading for the Christmas holidays? Why not? Reading this book will definitely not get you bored.

A widow in need of rescue. A dissolute Marquess determined not to marry.
Jeannie Zelos
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
A Marquess for Christmas. Vivienne Westlake.

ARC supplied by Netgalley.

This sounded fun, a historical novel with an erotic theme. Interesting and unusual, and a change from my normal selection. It started well, Violet is out in her carriage when she's attacked by highwaymen. Kit comes to her rescue and gets hurt. Violet stands up for herself, and we see she's no simpering flower, (violet- flower!!) but a woman prepared to wade in and stand up for herself. That was good as I hate these weak, help
Meliana
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jenuh karena berulang kali didesak oleh kakaknya, Daniel Kittrick, Marquess of Kittrick, memilih untuk pergi dan berjanji akan pulang pada hari Natal. Di perjalanannya, dia menemukan seorang Lady yang tengah melawan seorang perampok dengan ember kayu. Merasa kagum, dia pin menolong Lady tersebut, akan tetapi rupanya perampok tersebut tidak mudah dikalahkan. Walaupun akhirnya dia bisa menembak perampok tersebut, kepalanya tidak bisa luput dari pukulan batu perampok tersebut, dan dia luka parah.
V
Liza Tice
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I first started to read this book I loved it. However, all of a sudden Violet, the lead female, changed. There was no character development. She went from helping and caring to sexual and brazen. It was not believable and made me sad. Some of the language used and descriptions could have been left out of this book and more attention paid to the characters and plot. I gave it two stars only because I could
Tina Ullrich
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Shepard in Wolf's clothing

Kit and Violet have a rough and Rocky road to over come. Reading how they interact and see things is interesting. When you rebel against something for so long it is hard to see that what you really want is right in front of you. Kit loses his memories temporarily and not knowing something is hard enough. But, when he gets enough bAck he does not tell Violet which is wrong because if he did then she would know that he really means what he says. Stubborn to the core Kit
Maria Rose
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This steamy historical romance tells the story of Kit and Violet. When Kit rescues Violet from a roadside assault, the injuries he suffers result in him ending up in her home to convalesce. From there it's a short trip to her bed. I really liked both characters in this story. Even though Kit is a dominant type of man, he still has an underlying uncertainty in the direction of his life and resents his sister's interference in his future. This made him a more three dimensional character and one th ...more
Heather
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first novel I have read by Westlake and I thoroughly enjoyed it. When the Marquess attempts to rescue Violet from armed robbers, he is severely injured. Violet takes the stranger into her home and nurses him back to health only to discover that he has lost his memory. What he has not lost, however, is ability to charm the ladies. Violet quickly falls for the Marquess but fears that as soon as his memory returns, he will leave her and once again she will be alone. This was a great his ...more
Wanda
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Violet was being robbed and the Marquess steps into help her. While saving Violet he is severely injured. Violet takes him into her home and nurses him back to health only to find out he has lost his memory. Violet and the Marquess have great chemistry and Violet falls for him fast. But what will happen when his memory comes back, will Violet be left alone.

This is a good historical romance, the storyline had a nice flow and the characters were easy to follow.
Deb Diem
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Marquess For Christmas by Vivienne Westlake is a fantastic historical romance. Ms Westlake has delivered a Christmas treat for reader with this amazing story. Violet and Kit's story is loaded with lovable characters, drama, action and sizzle. I enjoyed A Marquess For Christmas and look forward to reading more from Ms Westlake in the future. This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A widow and a rake meet by accident when he helped rescue her from two Highwayman. He is injured in the scuffle and she takes him home to nurse him back to health. During his rehabilitation they fall in love, but the other does not know that. They do naughty things to each other and find they met their perfect match. Great Christmas read!!
Sally Hannoush
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
It is always nice to run away from real life and pretend to have a whole different life. Saving a women in distress turned out to be the best thing that even happened to this noble. Great story but dragged a little too long in some areas for me.
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
3.5 stars- because it was over too quickly!

Infused with smoking hot chemistry and characters who break the traditional historical romance tropes, A Marquess For Christmas is a cannot miss story. I need everything Vivienne Westlake has, or will ever, write. I am a new fan for life.
Sabrina G. Hand
Dec 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Crass and poorly written

The language used is not well suited to recency era. I found the plot predictable and the characters too modern in there thinking. Poor attempt at historical romance.
Amanda
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't find it to be a Christmas story in the true sense but I was a good story and had some steamy scenes to keep you interested
Mammatess
3.75 out of 5
Al *the serial series skipper*
It was ok
Jacqueline Driggers
rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Once Upon a Plaid (Spirit of the Highlands, #2)
  • The Lady Who Broke the Rules (Castonbury Park #3)
  • A Very Matchmaker Christmas
  • Save Me, Santa
  • Gift of Desire
  • Letters At Christmas (Men Of Fortune, #1)
  • Sweet Adventure (Klaus Brothers, #3)
  • Wanton Christmas Wishes (includes: Self-Made Men, #1; 93rd Highlanders, #1; Diable Delamere, #2.5)
  • The Care & Feeding of Pirates (Regency Pirates, #3)
  • Someone to Love (London Friends, #2) (Love in the Regency, #2)
  • Romancing His English Rose (Lady Lancaster Garden Society, #2)
  • One Winter's Night: A Regency Yuletide Collection
  • Secrets of an Accidental Duchess (Donovan Sisters, #2)
  • Blind Lust
  • Compromised for Christmas
  • Dirty Little Christmas (Marisela Morales/Dirty, #3)
  • Madeleine's Christmas Wish (The Marriage Game, #5.5)
  • The Primrose Path
Vivienne Westlake has been reading and writing romance since the age of fifteen. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature and when she’s not plotting stories about sexy heroes and sassy heroines, she’s buying a book on British history, watching the latest teen vampire show, doing an art project or singing karaoke with friends. Vivienne is an active member of Romance Writers of America, Ro ...more
More about Vivienne Westlake

A Marquess for Christmas (2 books)
  • Let it Snow

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be