Start by marking “The Embattled Road (Lost and Found, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Embattled Road (Lost and Found, #0.5)

The Embattled Road

(Lost and Found 0.5)

In the harrowing prequel to The Lost and Found series, three embattled Marines must deal with their devastating physical and emotional injuries in a world that seems to have turned against them.
When the rescue helicopter crashes into his convoy in Iraq, Marine First Sergeant Duncan Wilde struggles with the loss of men, his career and the use of his body. Things can't get
Published December 5th 2012 by JM Madden (first published December 4th 2012)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a wounded hero
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: Karla
Photobucket

Before I begin my review, I want to first thank the author, J.M. Madden, for writing this story, and in doing so, beginning a series of books that are long overdue. These will be stories about three brave men (and possibly more?) whose bodies, in the course of serving their country, were injured in ways that will never fully heal. The author does a much better job of explaining her vision than I can, so I’ll just share her words:
A Note from J.M.~

I’ve had the idea for this series for a long ti
Blacky *Romance Addict*

"It was hard to convince somebody who had never been cared about that you actually cared."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

This is one of the best non-romance stories I've read.
Well, maybe I'm not the right person to say that because I ONLY read romance, but the fact that I read and LOVED it must mean something :)

The Embattled Road is a short story about:

War, and how it changes your life.

Three soldiers, met in a hospital, that formed a great friendship.

Dealing with one's handicap, and accepting it.

Moving on
Karla

5 Stars!!! Amazing prequel to the Lost and Found series! My hats off to the author for this unique and long over due plot line for a military romance series!

“I sincerely believe there is a soul mate for everybody. The external package doesn’t matter when it comes to the heart.”~J.M. Madden

I think the author did this right, introducing us to the characters that will be featured first, without any romance in the storyline. She gives us a chance to get into their hearts and minds, allows them to h
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
Wow this little novella was a beautifully emotional journey of 3 Marines injured in Iraq. As they learn to deal with their disabling injuries, they develop a friendship with each other that leads to them going into business together. I loved this little Novella. John, Chad, and Duncan have already stolen my heart. J.M. Madden grabs you, drawing you in and getting you invested in these heroes, who have given up so much for their country, and are now trying to figure out where they belong in this ...more
Jill
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jill by: Karla

When Marine First Sergeant Duncan Wilde, Sergeant Chad Lowell and Gunnery Sergeant John Palmer leave the Marines due to physical injuries sustained in Iraq, they come together back home to form Lost and Found Investigative Services putting their skills learned in the military to good use.

Kudos to author, J.M. Madden for not glossing over the harsh realities of war and the tragic consequences for men (and women) who serve. The injuries sustained by these three Marines are not trite, superficial w
Mo
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a Free book this was amazing. Great introduction to what I think is going to be a great series. We meet the 3 characters who are wounded in combat and have to leave their Army professions and start life all over again. The different personalities of the three come across really well. Duncan, Chad and John - think John is my favourite because he seems to be the most bitter and hurt. Then again that could change. Duncan is the one who takes charge and decides they are going to work together. C ...more
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: Karla
 photo usmc.jpg

Great introduction to the "Lost and Found" series. It's a tough read if you have a loved one serving our country but J.M. Madden managed to turn it around and had me rooting for these hero's to succeed after their rehabilitation and discharge from military life.

Regardless of your political views on war, please support our troops!!

◊♦ Naomi
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alpha-males

The Embattled Road is a prequel novella to the Lost and Found series, this book has absolutely no romance in it but it doesn't matter, it's short and I really think you should read it before starting Embattled Hearts.

This book introduces us to three main characters in the Lost and Found series, First Sergeant Duncan Wilde, Sergeant Chad Lowell and last but not least, Gunnery Sergeant John Palmer. These men were Marines and gravely injured.

This is their story, what they were doing when they were
Wendy
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Karla
This is a heartbreaking tale of three brave and wounded warriors Duncan, Chad and John. Fighting in Afghanistan for their country only to be wounded and find themselves in hospital. And whilst recovering from their injuries; they form a friendship and bond that “Brothers in Arms” share. They make a pact to stay in contact and eventually try and slip back in the normal life.

The story is told through three points of views; it’s shocking and just flat out gut wrenching. I found myself a little tear
Buggy
Opening Line: “Duncan could not wait to get the fuck out of this sand pit.”

Now this is how to start a romantic suspense series. Get the entire back story and set up out of the way without the distraction of a romance, -which is especially relevant here because JM Madden has taken the time to give us some real heroes. I loved how this 40 page prequel gave us all three soldiers stories from the very beginning, starting in the frontlines of Iraq and then through their injuries and subsequent treatm
Claire Robinson
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - "You’ve still got your nuts." Stars!

I grabbed this novella Free off Amazon, mainly because I have seen various books from this series blowing up my GR feed in a positive way over the last couple of years, and I was intrigued.

All I can really say is that for something so short, The Embattled Road certainly packed a punch on all fronts. It made me laugh, shed a tear, and gave a great introduction to the men that will become the backbone of Lost and Found Investigative Services

John Palmer, Chad
Duchess Nicole
Great introduction to these three guys. A little background on each guy, and their first meetings in the hospital. It's not a happy book, and there are no heroines anywhere to be found. But it leaves the reader wanting a happy ending for these three literal heroes.
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
Can't stop. Gotta keep movin here, prequel complete, now on to book one.

Boom.
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
Wow!!!
Will review once I finish Embattled Hearts, but I have found myself an amazing new author!
Auntee
Gotta read every one in this series now--such awesome writing! Why did I wait so long?
Susan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Embattled Road

J. M. Madden

THE EMBATTLED ROAD is the first book in the Lost and Found series. Yes, it is only 67 pages, more of a novella than a book, but the story sure does pack a punch. This is the story where three Iraq war veterans come home wounded and bond while recovering at the hospital. They are all struggling and try to help each other as best they can. I loved the story about these three Marines and I am totally going to continue with this series.

This is my first time reading J.M.
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
***4.5 Band of Brothers stars***

Wow!! Phenomenal prequel to what looks to be an amazing series!

description

The author did a fantastic job at pouring so much emotion in a short novella. I'm as connected to these characters as though I read hundreds and hundreds of pages about them.

A deep bond formed in the toughest of times for these three men; a true sense of brotherhood rooted in core values, similar beliefs and unwavering strength.

Looks like I've found an amazing series and talented author to immerse my
Ravioli Rachel
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it

4 out of 5 Stars

First of all, I love that the author has this at the end of the book...

"A portion of the proceeds of this book will be donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. If you would like to make a personal donation, you can find information at http://woundedwarriorproject.org"

Nothing like giving a little something back. :)

This book goes over the background of the three main characters in the series. How they were injured, where they were injured, family life, etc.

We get a brief glimps
Mei
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Such a wonderful short story! And it is not a romance! WOW!

An excellent beginning of the series! So many things were packed inside it: dedication, suffering, guilt, pain, friendship, compassion, strenght of will... An incredible achievement in such a short number of pages!

I was almost crying when I read what happened to those poor guys! A moment is enough to change a life in such a devastating way!

The way each of them reacts to his injury was describes so well. Also the way they forged their fr
Donna McDonald
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I beta read early versions, but the finished one was great for a series starter. Both my long term relationships were with military men. This book was like a peek at the dark side of serving our country. I couldn't get through it without crying, but the end was worth the struggle.

I'm a huge Madden fan and looking forward to the rest of the series. Currently, I'm waiting for John's. Hurry, please. I loved the sample chapter and the "sex on wheels" description.

I'm going to love these books. I can
Kathleen
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
**********
This was my Christmas morning read. Heart-filling! Nearly 4 stars for this compelling novella -- and since close counts in hand grenades, it counts here. ツ

I have read my share of military romances, so I was definitely intrigued by this story line, and JM Madden did not disappoint. Perhaps some of her success can be attributed to her own career in law enforcement, and to the fact that she asked at least one military expert to critique her work.

This quick read is the prequel to her Los
Lady Heather
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: contemporary romance, injured veterans looking for a place to belong
Recommended to Lady Heather by: Mhollie
Ohhhhhh.... this is going to be a AMAZING series!!

photo surprise.gif

LOVED the name of their Private Investigator's Firm Lost and Found Investigations...SO Appropriate!

This prequel was SO good, can't wait to read John's story!!

Thanks Mhollie for this recommendation!
Awilk -never sleeps-
3.5 Stars

A short read that introduces us to three very brave marines. They have been severely wounded and are recuperating in hospital. A bond grows between them, and once they have all left, and are returning to civilian life, they come together again and start a business together.

I am looking forward to learning more about these three, and seeing them find happiness.

John's story is first, and I am off to start it next.
Mhollie
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone over 18
Recommended to Mhollie by: UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Shelves: jm-madden, military
I am SO glad I saw "UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish's" review of this book. I loved it! It took a dismal situation and gave hope and great expectations for the future for wounded warriors. Fantastic! Cannot wait to read the next installment.
Cindy ~
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sam
What a great start to what looks like its going to be a rocking series. This is just the introduction to the 3 men during and after there time in Iraq after each has suffered severe damage to there bodies. Most of the book is while they are recovering at Walter Reed Hospital.

We meet Duncan Wilde right before his convoy is hit. He's on his last 3 month of his tour. He dreams of becoming a drill instructor and marring his girl back home. After the ambush he is left with spinal bruising and a crus
Amanda
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This novella really did remind me so much of the independent film titled 'The Waterdance', a story about three injured men who bonded during their stay at the rehab. The story told about their struggle to adjust to their life ahead and some drama that unfold in their love life.

description

In The Embattled Road, we met Duncan, Chad and John Palmer. They were Marines that got physically injured during their mission. Each of them suffered different injury, yet they knew they will never be psychically whole ag
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

Although I enjoyed The Embattled Road, I have decided to remain cautiously optimistic that it will serve as a good start to a great series. You see I'm still a little, ok A LOT, jaded by the last military series with a promising prequel I read. I was utterly disappointed by the books I managed to finish and wished someone had rescued me from the colossal waste of my time!! Nonetheless, I must admit that there is something undeniably captivating about these Heroes as they cope with the physical a
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely EVERYONE!
10/21/2016 -- Read again .. enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time.

07/08/2013 --
5 HUGE FLYING STARS!!

This is an absolute feel good story about three friends who save each other. They have a bond like no other. The bond is that of a wounded soldier trying to put the pieces of his life together. How can you rate something like this less than extraordinary?

This is a short read and sets the stage for the other books in this series. I read it after I read John's story. It doesn't really mat
Tami
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A free read from Amazon - rounded up for price-quality-ratio.

This was a compelling story of three marines who were injured in combat.
On the road to recovery they formed a lasting friendship.

The writing was very good (story flow, dialogues, characterization etc.)
Hbeebti
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short story. What a moving great set up for this series. I was amazed at how much I loved it without any romance just a heartfelt brotherhood. I cant wait to read the first book after this.

• Because of You (Coming Home, #1)
  • SEALed With A Kiss: Heroes With Heart
  • Uniform Desires (Make Mine Military)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Bagram Special Ops, #3)
  • First Strike (I-Team, #5.9)
  • Double Down (Vegas Top Guns Book 1)
  • Breaking Through (SEAL Team Heartbreakers #2)
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
  • His Road Home
  • Conquering Zeus (SEALs On Fire, #7)
  • Taken to the Edge (The Guardian Angelinos, #0.5)
  • Shattered Valor (Red Team, #2)
  • Her Master Defender (Masters Men, #1)
  • The Way Home (One-Eyed Jacks #2)
  • Jonesin' For Action (SEALs On Fire #3)
NY Times and USA Today Bestselling author J.M. Madden writes compelling romances between 'combat modified' military men and the women who love them. J.M. Madden loves any and all good love stories, most particularly her own. She has two beautiful children and a husband who always keeps her on her toes.

J.M. was a Deputy Sheriff in Ohio for nine years, until hubby moved the clan to Kentucky. When no

Lost and Found (6 books)
  • Embattled Hearts (Lost and Found, #1)
  • Embattled Minds (Lost and Found, #2)
  • Embattled Home (Lost and Found, #3)
  • Embattled SEAL (Lost and Found #4)
  • Embattled Ever After (Lost and Found #5)
  • Lost and Found Pieces (Lost and Found, #5.2)