Start by marking “The Making of Karateka” as Want to Read:
The Making of Karateka

The Making of Karateka

(Mechner Journals #1)

In 1982 -- the era of Apple II and Commodore 64 -- 17-year-old college freshman and aspiring game designer Jordan Mechner began keeping a private journal. This first volume is a candid account of the personal, creative and technical struggles that led to his breakthrough success with Karateka, which topped bestseller charts in 1985, and planted the seeds of his next game, ...more
Published November 27th 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of Karateka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of Karateka

Martti
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
My first computer game ever was Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia. He's next collection of journals is about that game development. I guess now I need to read that also :)
That's just crazy how ppl coded during those times - "I need a new printout, to go over the code step by step."
Pirating by copying disks.
The excitement of working on games and seeing movies like the premiere of Return of the Jedi.
Distributed development across different cities with sending floppy disks b
Mridul Singhai
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know why I like reading people's diaries. Probably because reading these memoirs of great people from the times when they were nobodies like me and you gives me a confirmation that anyone can succeed. Or is it because I think people are more truthful in such writings than say,in the real world?

The memoir has been neatly composed and traces the time Jordan spent developing Karateka -- quick skim, not much worth reading here unless you're interested in the creative process.
Melanie
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Following up with a game's creative process is something that became quite interesting for me, and while The Making of Karateka is not the most inspiring or well-written book in the world, it does give you a lot of insights of the game making process. I never had the opportunity of playing this game and read the book more out of sheer curiosity, but it was a pretty good experience. This book serves as an example of how indie game development works, and I'm amazed to say that it's not outdated if ...more
Erich Strelow
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, you are a 19 years old college student living in the mid-80s. You combine the college schedule with a lot of movie going, part time jobs. In your spare time and in the summers in your hometown of Chappaqua, NY, you program video games in your Apple II. When the game is finished, you send a copy by mail to a software publishing company and the video game turns out to be a creative wonder and becomes a big seller the following years.

It sounds like a John Hughes movie. I love to rea
Hagay Giller
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
קטעים מתוך היומן של ג'ורדן מצ'נר, היוצר של "קרטקה" ו"הנסיך הפרסי", על התהליך שהוביל ליצירת המשחק "קרטקה" והעבודה עליו. נותן מבט היסטורי מעניין על המשחק ועל תעשיית משחקי המחשב בתחילת שנות השמונים, כשבחור בן 18 היה מסוגל לעשות פחות או יותר לבדו משחק מחשב שהופך אותו למיליונר. הספר היה יכול להיעזר בעריכה יותר קפדנית (יש שם יותר מדי קטעי יומן שבעיקר מציגים אותו כטינאייג'ר גנרי), אבל הכתיבה עדיין זורמת.
Draden
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read with amusing details on how the game came to be. Making a game - or any creative effort for that matter - is difficult and one of the hardest aspects is staying focused as the author writes. The book is written in diary format, so it's easy to read a little bit at a time or all at once if you get carried away (like I did). On the negative side, the book doesn't go into game design or technical aspects in great depth. Regardless, definitely worth a read.
Andrey
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspiring book about game development in 80s.
Michael Scott
The making of Karateka is the memoir of Jordan Mechner (better known as the guy who made Prince of Persia). Chronicling the period 1982-1985, this book starts when Jordan is about to start the design of Karateka and ends with the aftermath of its publication. (There's no doubt he will finish it, especially for 1980s gamers, so no spoilers in this description.)

Overall, I liked this book very much. It's not the best of writing, it's at times as superficial as a journal written only for yourself can be, and p
Ahmad Hajja
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely a good read, not as technical as I had hoped but good enough. Some of the best quotes in the book:

"So what if I failed to read books and collect facts? I can do that any time."

"A landscape would distract the player and make it seem like there's more to the game than there is, without really enhancing it."

"Was it Butler who said 'A hen is an egg's way of making another egg'? It occurred to me a few weeks ago that a zoologist from another planet, obse
Roy Tang
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is literally a collection of journal entries detailing young Jordan Mechner's days as a university student at Yale at the same time working on what would be his first published game. I found it both inspiring (though some might consider me the wrong age to be inspired by it) and amusing as a look into the life of a young man in the early 80s. As a set of journal entries, the writing isn't particularly spectacular, but it is an easy enough read, especially for someone with an interest in ...more
Jason
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was an amazing read for me. Not because of the writing, but because of the subject. I was a middle school kid at the time Karateka came out on my Commodore 64, and was instantly mesmerized by the game and its effect it had on people. The story was good, but it was the first game that actually had a cinematic feel for the play. You felt like you were part of a movie. Now this was a kid version of me, but I was in awe.

I started writing games as a result of playing this one. I neve
Madhavi
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book to get an insight in to the game developers culture or mind psychology. The book disappoints on the first front. But it definitely is a showcase on the game author-designers psychology. I loved this book and feel that this book is less intense than the "Making of Prince of Persia". I guess this might be due to the fact that Prince of Persia was Jordan's second game after Karateka. And he was facing a drought of ideas before making prince. Also given the fact that he wa ...more
Ali
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and down to earth look at the human side of the making of one of the very famous video game 'classics'.

Definitely worth a read by any gamer, game developer or tech history enthusiast

As game development recently becomes more and more an indie process and less and less dominated by big-budget AAA productions, this book provides a very good insight into what goes into the making of an indie game.

With the focus on the human side and very little emphasis on t
Irfon-kim
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is exactly what it says on the tin: Jordan Mechner's personal journals during the period of time in which he was developing the classic Apple II hit video game Karateka. It probably doesn't hurt that I love the game, but truly, these are much more fascinating and riveting than I expected them to be. Mechner's writing is engaging, and he did a good job (as he set out to do) in deciding what to include and what to exclude when writing these journals. Also, the process of an individual college ...more
Katy
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Review of this and of The Making of Prince of Persia.)

These are Jordan's diaries, starting from his student days and carrying on until a year or so after the release of Prince of Persia. I found these very entertaining from a tech history point of view ("Roland came over for breakfast and we installed an extra 1 MB in my Mac."), and it was interesting to see all the details of how the games were designed and publicised. The description of his method of motion capture to get the spri
LemmiSchmoeker
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating insight into the creation of this charming game. I would never have suspected that so much planning went into the game (as, when it came out, there were similarly complex games on the market), which only makes it even better. It was also quite interesting to see how insecure Mechner is about the whole creation process, and his own position in the gaming industry. The fact that he has published his journal so openly is certainly something to be grateful for!
William McDuff
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Creative types, failed creative types
I found it pretty inspiring. It's the ramblings of a college age Mechner in his diary, so the writing is kinda impromptu, up and down with his moods, but that's the point, isn't it? To remind us that if we get a good idea and work on it, with support and praise it can be something. Worth reading just to get a good kick in the pants to MAKE SOMETHING, DANGIT!

Just gotta take that advice.
Klim
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not likely to change your world and there's not much to it, but I enjoyed the light reading and glimpse into the past. Wish some parts weren't as sparse but, if you like diaries at all it's worth a read. (I've never even played any of his games)
I'll be checking out the sequel (on Prince of Persia).
Dave
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the Making of Prince of Persia a while back and really enjoyed it, but I was unfamiliar with Karateka so I didn't think it'd grab me the same way.
Turns out the game itself didn't really make that much difference, It's just fascinating seeing the process and in particular Mechner's vacillation between self doubt and utter conviction..
David
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The unedited diary of young Jordan Mechner, broke college student and 80s 8-bit game programmer. Teenage ramblings, but here and there, sometimes showing a maturity level and self expression it took me 'till my mid 30s to acquire. The target audience (probably only the target audience) will love this book.
Sean Mckenzie
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
worth every penny

If you make games, want to make games or wonder how games are made... this book is for you. You won't learn how to make one, but it's an interesting look into what it feels like to do so. Off to buy the next journal...
Ismael Mejia
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
The diary of a game designer in the early 80s. A nice read, in particular the way he reflects the hopes, dreams and problems of a young 'geeky' man becoming an adult, and our regular battles between hopes and procrastination. Not a literary masterpiece but the equivalent of a funny weekend movie.
Jordan Magnuson
I really enjoyed reading The Making of Prince of Persia a couple of years back, and found this "prequel" to be just (or nearly) as interesting... partly because the young Jordan Mechner continues to remind me of my (young) self in many ways.
Andrew
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting

Interesting journal entries but definitely reads like an 18-20 year wrote it. All the angst and uncertainty of that age is there. Still really interesting but not quite as good as Making of Prince of Persia.
Gerard Braad
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice to read the journals and the personal struggle. Finish the game or school? But it lacks a good background story with screenies or/and the final product.
Amar Pai
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karateka WAS cinematic. In the early 80s one person could make a game. I miss those auteur days.
Ein
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Приятная легкая книжка. Технических деталей бы побольше, да истории продаж и обзоров.
Luis
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Journal style entries on Karateka.
Maxwell

• Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play
  • Constellation Games
  • Dungeons & Dreamers: A Story of how Computer Games Created a Global Community
  • Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games
  • Rise of the Videogame Zinesters: How Freaks, Normals, Amateurs, Artists, Dreamers, Drop-outs, Queers, Housewives, and People Like You Are Taking Back an Art Form
  • Critical Play: Radical Game Design
  • Replay: The History of Video Games
  • Hardcoregaming101.Net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures
  • Valve: Handbook for New Employees
  • How to Do Things with Videogames
  • Spelunky (Boss Fight Books, #11)
  • Breathing Machine: A Memoir of Computers
  • Chrono Trigger (Boss Fight Books, #2)
  • Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA: Enhanced Edition
  • Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation
  • Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time
  • The Grasshopper: Games, Life and Utopia

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Mechner Journals (2 books)
  • The Making of Prince of Persia
“In short, I'm not very concerned with quantity and quality; I just want a reasonable entry for every day of my life, starting now.” 0 likes