Start by marking “Dane (The MacKenzie Brothers #1)” as Want to Read:
Dane (The MacKenzie Brothers #1)

Read eBook* *Different edition

Dane

(The MacKenzie Family #1)

This is book #1 of the MacKenzie Brothers Quartet!

Bad boy, Dane MacKenzie, is coming home to Surrender, Montana. It's been ten years since he left the woman he loved behind to make a name for himself, and now he's bound and determined to claim her once and for all.

But Charlotte Munroe has no desire to welcome home the Prodigal Son with a fatted calf. The bitterness of Dane
Published 2011 by Bodysways Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dane

Harry Potter Series Box Set by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy Collection by Richelle Mead
Series Reading List
1,318 books — 3,122 voters
The Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonLover Avenged by J.R. WardLover Mine by J.R. WardCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareInsatiable by Lauren Dane
Hottest Guy on a Cover
1,602 books — 1,803 voters

More lists with this book...

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.5 Stars***

This was a really solid start to what looks like a great series centering on four brothers in the small town of Surrender, Montana.

I love me a good ol' small town setting.

Here we're introduced to the second oldest MacKenzie, Dane. Dane blew out of town weeks after his mother's passing. Grief, confusion, frustration and a host of other emotions began suffocating him. Losing his best friend and biggest supporter was a blow too difficult to get back up from....so Dane left Surrende
Anne OK
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Bought on Kindle; short and sexy. That's about all I can say about this one. He rode into town, straight into the arms of the girl he left behind 10 years ago. They do the deed on top of her desk, and she leaves. Later he finds out she has kept a BIG secret from him, he finds her again the same night, confronts her with the secret, she confesses, and this time they find a bed. The declare their love for one another. The End.

Note: Nothing different, same old.
Sobia
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Dammit, i need to do better research before starting new books...this is a novella. An erotic one. That means the H and h jump into the sack waaaay to fast and there's hardly any story...seriously, to some extent I wonder why they even other with a plot synopsis in books like these? While this author does a great job of tying up the story at the end, maybe only 10 % ( if that) of the story is actual...well, story.

It's sorta like watching a movie with someone who's already seen it, and fast forwa
♡Karlyn P♡
It had potential, including (what could be) a great cast of characters for a full-sized series and some good writing, but over all it was too short. This was just a very short steamy novella. Much was left unsaid and unaddressed. BUT, since this was a teaser for a full series we may get those answers in later books.
Karla
This had so much potential, but was way too short. The author could have given us a bit more in the way of character development and it still would have been a nice little novella. What I did read however was very very steamy, I was insanely attracted to Dane and his brothers, but I wanted more!
Keri
Dane and Charlotte,

You haven't seen each other in 10 years and not even 10 minutes after meeting again, without even discussing birth control or even having a STD conversation, you just jump on the bronco and ride not once but twice. Not even a rubber between the two of ya. Charlotte did you not remember what happened the last time you did that?? Evidently not. WOW Kids do not try this at home!
Naksed
Blech. This has all the cliches that have me rolling my eyes (and NOT in ecstasy) in the romance genre, and on top of it, it is set at a dizzying pace. I am not above enjoying a hokey soap opera or too, with all the secret love children, traitorous bodies, and bodice-ripper tropes that go along with it, but at least give me some character development to allow me to get into the story and care about this couple. But no sooner do Charlotte and Dane lay eyes on each other after ten years of him F_i ...more
Auntee
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic quickies
Too short! Too short! (63 pages) Plenty of potential, some really hot scenes, but could have used some more character development. If you really want to read how good it can be when Liliana Hart develops her story and characters, read Cade: A MacKenzie Novel. 3 1/2 stars.
Dianne
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.25 stars. This book could have been one of the greats...if it wasn't so short. The story was literally meet, intimate moments, confrontation, more intimate moments lol. I wish we had gotten a full story because if feels too short. However, I really loved the premise behind the book. I just wish there was more :-/
Amber Rose
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, romance
Super HOT

I quite enjoyed this short story. I want MORE . But it was too short. There really isn't a plot just alot of hot sex and promises. Looking forward to the rest of the brothers in the series.
Juls
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story with Dane and Charlie. There wasnt any major drama that got drawn out.
I would have liked to see how Jayden reacted to Dane though.
Kelly
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, but it is really, really short. It's a quick, hot read, but not a lot of character or storyline development obviously due to the length.
Rough Draft Book Blog
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dane by Lilana Hart

Dane and Charlotte

HOT, LOVING, AND FAST!!!

Ok... for starters, those of you that gave this a bad review because it was "too short," pull your heads out of your %$!@#%'s... The first sentence of the synopsis says it's a Novella... don't know what it means??? look it up doofis people!!! Here it is: Short Novel: a fictional prose work that is longer than a short story but shorter than a novel... While it was short (a.k.a. novella) I found it full of wonderful, exciting stuff!!! If
Diana
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
Natalie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dane left from his home 10 years ago.Along with leaving his brothers in order to make something of himself,he left his girlfriend(and his one love) Charlie.When he returns back,he doesn't expect to find Charlie after having been told she left 10 years ago too.When these two see each other,memories come back and they are reminded as to why they loved each other so much.When a HUGE secret is revealed,everyone's lives change and Charlie is left with a decision to make.But can she really let this m
Alison
Argh, I held off writing a review of these books as the first five or six are just novellas/short stories and I wanted to see how they panned out.

Ms Hart is a bit like one of those chefs who don't have the courage of their convictions and so keep adding their favourite ingredients to different recipes so that they all kind of end up tasting pretty much the same.

She has a man and a woman, either estranged (unknown teenage pregnancy in this case) or loving from afar, or meeting under suspicious ci
Jen
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good short story. IT is an erotic romance with a nice storyline thrown in with it.

Dane is one of the four Mackenzie brothers and he has just come back to his hometown after being gone ten years. He has a history with a girl name Charlotte who he has never forgot while he was away. They reconnect when he returns and there is a "secret" she is hiding from him.
Considering how short the story was I thought the author did a wonderful job with making the story have "hot sex" as well as
D.G.
Lately I've been in the mood to read short, hot stories so that's the only reason I downloaded this freebie.

All I can say is that the sex was hot. There was an attempt to create a story with a secret baby plot - which was dreadful - but there was no way you could really believe this two people were still in love with such flimsy evidence. It would have been better if it had been left at 'we'll continue to have sex and see how it goes' instead of trying to tie everything with a bow.

So if you are
Jae
I got this as a freebie from Amazon, thank goodness I didn't purchase it. The story was very trite about Dane who came back to his hometown after ten years and surprised to found out that he has indeed fathered a child with his longtime girlfriend, Charlotte. So he tried to convince her to give them a chance on being a family.

My say is -been there, seen it, done it and had a Hot cover to prove it. I am not very impressed with the story. Apart from the Hot cover there really was nothing special a
Carolyn F.
Short story. 24 pages.

10 years ago Dane left Charlotte to start a life without her, the only problem is she was pregnant. Now he wants back in her life and to get to know the son he didn't know he had. A little too sugary sweet for me and things speed along super fast. But then it is a short story so the author has to jam in a lot. Maybe if the story were longer, I would have liked it more.
Pam Godwin
This itty-bitty story, the first in the MacKenzie Brothers Quartet series, does exactly what it intends to do. It arouses and ravishes. But wait! There's more. If you buy now, you get a sweet little story to go along with the sex-ery. Seriously, this short story is a real pleasure and LH's writing is so crisp, she's won a new fan. I'll be reading more from this author.
Holly
This had potential. Unfortunately it didn't deliver. Both characters acted immature and it feature a secret baby plot. I don't mind those as long as they're done well, but her reasons for keeping the baby from him were selfish. Plus, the baby in question is 10 now.

I liked her writing, however, so I may try another book in the series.
★Ruth★
I have to say I really enjoyed this and will definitely continue this series.

Though it was very short I got a good feel for the characters and the love scenes were pretty hot.

This, IMO, is what a novella should be, a teaser of things and characters to come and a chance for the author to show us what they are capable of & what we can expect from them if we decide to read more by them.
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
Dane is a very hot story indeed. A little short, and with some inconsistencies, but a good story overall anyway.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Hbeebti
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
Short and sweet story about young love lost and found again. As always I wish it was longer. I am definitely going to pick up the rest of this series.
Lili
Mar 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Oh my God... the only good thing about this book is that it was short.
Lyndi W.
Nov 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
Completely pointless. Basically it's just an overly long sex scene. I kinda despised both characters - Dane for being a selfish idiot and Charlotte for being an even bigger idiot.
Rachele
Short, quickly pick up where they left off.
Emma
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dived into this series because of the novella one of my favourite authors, Jay Crownover, wrote intertwining her fictional worlds with that of the MacKenzie’s, Avenged. Being all sorts of nosy I wanted to see what the characters in the MacKenzie series were like so I could relate to them better in the MacKenzie Family novellas.

For me novellas are either hit or miss, Dane was definitely a HIT. Two things really stood out for me; one – the characters are extremely well-developed, two – the story

• Love's Portrait
  • The Awakening (The Marriage Diaries, #1)
  • Beautiful Mess (Bailey's Boys, #1)
  • Too Darn Hot
  • A Little Harmless Gift (Harmless, #4.5)
  • Enemies and Playmates
  • Being Delightful
  • Harm's Hunger (Bad in Boots, #1)
  • Reckless for Cowboy (Stampede Sizzler, #2)
  • Tempt Me
  • Ambushed (Decorah Security, #4)
  • Saying Yes
  • Safe With Me (Safe with Me, #1)
  • Minding Amy
  • Cowboys and Angels (Aspen, #3)
  • Her Perfect Getaway (Bridesmaids in Paradise #1)
  • Bonded by Need (Shifting Bonds, #2)
  • Must Love Santa
Liliana Hart spent five years teaching music in the public education system. She molded America’s youth, busted kids for smoking pot in the restrooms, and broke up illicit affairs behind the stage on a regular basis. (Liliana’s Addison Holmes Mystery Series, about a small town teacher who gets into a whole lot of trouble, is somewhat autobiographical, but she won’t confess to which parts).

Liliana

The MacKenzie Family (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Thomas (The MacKenzie Family, #2)
  • Riley (The MacKenzie Family, #3)
  • Cooper (The MacKenzie Family, #4)
  • Cade (The MacKenzie Family, #5)
  • Shadows and Silk (The MacKenzie Family, #6)
  • Secrets and Satin (The MacKenzie Family, #7)
  • Sins and Scarlet Lace (The MacKenzie Family, #8)
  • Sizzle (The MacKenzie Family, #9)
  • Crave (The MacKenzie Family, #10)
  • Scorch (The MacKenzie Family, #11)
“There were those who said Dane MacKenzie would never amount to anything. That he'd spend his life drifting aimlessly from one thing to the next, never to settle down or take on an ounce of responsibility. There” 0 likes
“I'm sorry about your dad. He was a good man." He adjusted his position again so she was neatly blocked against the wall.” 0 likes