Start by marking “How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization” as Want to Read:
How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization

How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization

Now Updated and with New Success Tips for Everyone, at Any Level! Vision, persistence, integrity, and respect for everyone in the workplace--these are all qualities of successful leaders. But Jeffrey J. Fox, the founder of a marketing consulting company, also gives these tips: never write a nasty memo, skip all office parties, and overpay your people. These are a few of ...more
Published October 7th 1998 by Hachette Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How to Become CEO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Become CEO

Start your review of How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
Shawn
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
K.D. Absolutely
May 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-development
One of those "airport" books that I read sometime in 2000-2004. The book is concise, most tips are practical but some are just a bit far off like: 1) While on a business trip, eat breakfast in the hotel room instead of going to the breakfast buffet and (2) Don't attend Christmas parties.
Nada AbuHassan
It's will help who ever need to improve their career position, it's simple, direct in to the point.
Samer Hijazi
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple straight to the point advices that is excellent for reference at different times and stages in your career. Very easy read...
Brandi
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
For those of you who have an Uncle or Grandfather who constantly offers unsolicited, blunt advice about succeeding in Corporate America, you will love How to Become CEO by Jeffery Fox. This book is a quick read and contains a ton of advice I would consider common knowledge for any business professional. Although easy and somewhat predictable, it's still a good read. Don't let the two page chapters fool you. Jeffery doesn't beat around the bush with any of the topics and although I found it quite ...more
Jon Humphrey
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-book-list
This book helped me resolve an internal conflict that I have been struggling with. I started an MBA program this fall. I want to do well in my classes, but I couldn't think of a legitimate reason to want good grades given that I do not plan on using this degree to get a job. I'm already employed and I already have a graduate degree. Why should I worry about my grades? One theme from this little book is that you need to know how to use your time well. Several of the tips are about using time to ...more
Buck Dopp
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good (and short) I've read it at least three times and bought copies for my children. It will benefit anyone who wants to succeed in their chosen profession whether a CEO or not.
Taaj Francois
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book to those looking to get the gist around what it takes to become CEO or rise up in any organization. I might be giving this book more credit than most because I’ve been a full-time entrepreneur since 17 and I have a lot of friends in CEO roles around the world. I’m sure you’re wondering what that has to do with anything. A good friend and former Chairman of Butterfield Bank Bermuda gave me this book and I started to notice a common trend. A lot, if not all the ...more
Readread
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Finished reading "How to become CEO" on the beach. I started because it was short and available, and pressed on in spite of page 7 which says, "Staff jobs include lawyers...Take a staff job only if it is clearly temporary, a stepping stone, and if it pays more money."
This book is like the haiku version of "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie which I read in Germany and liked a lot. "CEO" is shorter, snappier, has almost zero example stories, and is more modern than the
Mike Shelton
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic leadership/business book that is a must read for anyone wanting to improve their career no matter what their role is. This book is executive style (my favorite) which means it has large font, 1-2 page chapters and SUPER concise information. You can read it quickly or just pick it up and read a couple of chapters in 5 minutes every now and then. It will change the way you approach your work and will help you become a better employee and leader (in a management role or not). I ...more
Andrew Brown
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Very concise and straight forward suggestions for improving your productivity in the work place and strengthening your career prospects. At times perhaps too concise as further examples to support Fox's views would have been appreciated but this might have resulted in the 'clean and clear' messages being lost. Overall I would recommend as a quick and easy read from a tried and tested book. Chances are even if you only take one or two suggestions away from it you will find it a worthwhile ...more
Robert
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this book is meant somewhat lightheartedly. As I was reading it I remember thinking to myself several times "is this a joke?"

It's a mixture of solid if somewhat obvious advice and off the wall suggestions.

Still, there are enough things here that are at least some are worth thinking about, especially for that particularly ambitious person.

Sort of a simplified version of the "The Art of War" I guess.
Mike Ncube
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Just completed How to become CEO and I’ve enjoyed reading it. It’s a small book and I completed it in a few hours but it has some good and practical points that you can apply to any area of your life. However I’d say it doesn’t go into detail about how to actually develop your career through professional development and become a CEO. Instead it is mainly about personal development which of course is helpful for all areas of your life.
Sean Harding
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had assumed this was going to be more humorous and light hearted when I saw it in the ex-library book bin for fifty cents and was going to give to a colleague, but I read it first.
It is 75 tips on becoming CEO and if you followed them all, you might achieve that success but you would be a miserable old geezer with lots of money and no friends.
There is some terrible life advice in these pages, what a load of old nonsense.
Shae
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading a 1998 publication in 2018, there’s a combination of takeaways and irrelevant information in today’s current business trends. This could still provide some essential tools in thinking how a CEO operates in their day-to-day business or even as a top performing employee. While I am sure the job of a CEO is far from simple, the advice is pretty black and white and common sense to deliver good habits on your way to the top.
Mike Tal
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I listened to it as an audio book. It should be called "complete checklist for becoming CEO" - just tells you do this, don't do that.

Half is common wisdom from other self-help books, the other half is like "Work harder than others" and "Always keep your shoes polished".

Well, I've worked with several VP's and one CEO, and what keeps those people apart from the crowd is definitely not captured in this book.
Rajiv Srinivasan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Picked up in the Boston airport book exchange. I think the book gives an aspiring executive conversation fodder—what is the amount of sensible social time to spend with your company? What does it mean to dress well at a modern tech company? Why do we dislike empire builders in theory, but we all think they are our path to promotion and growth?
It’s easy to down play the Hudson News sales books, but if you really are trying to grow, any opportunity to reflect is a good one!
Mary
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tips were provided in 1-2 pages. I recommend keeping for continued reference. My greatest takeaway was devoting an extra hour daily to personal/career development. This is a great gift for mentees/proteges.
Emil Bredahl
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book filled with a lot of interesting information and true statements that I enjoyed. He is a man that walks his talk and I like his honesty and the integrity he promotes. A lovely little read that can be finished rather quickly. Great inspiration and surely a book that I want to recommend
Austin Bright
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This book was good, not great but since it’s publish date is roughly 20 years ago you have to expect many outdated principles. It’s anti-relationships which is a 180 from how we know to work together today.

There are plenty of good, always timely nuggets that make this book worth a quick read.
Zaheer
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book to refresh existing golden rules !
Cullen Haynes
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very short, yet powerful read replete with some very cogent strategies to assist one navigating the jungle gym of the corporate arena.
Nagihan
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book points out very logical steps to fallow. Some of them which I already know and some which I just realized my managers and CEO is fallowing.
Justin Heilman
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This book made it seem like the average person could be a CEO. The information was fairly basic and crosses me as the minimal that would be needed to even be a competent CEO in any form.
Brandon Lesniak
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some good concepts. A lot is redundant with other books.
Caroline Luu
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Golden nuggets for the ambitious professional. Each rule includes succinct explanations and actionable items you can immediately implement in your career.
Cedric Dukes
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book for those who want quick tips to understand how a ceo works. Not necessarily about corporate life but focuses small business and those leading families
Nicole Rendone
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Insightful quick read book. Fast chapters on the keys to being successful within corporate organizations- whether or not you have the desire to become CEO.
Thomas Brooks
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a simple and super quick read with tips that are easily actionable. Read this book on a 2.5 hours flight. Definitely a one time read, but I feel like it was worth my time...
Geek
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
**Warning: this text may contain spoilers** Best book
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • The Holy Secret
  • Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The Outward Mindset: Seeing Beyond Ourselves
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box
  • First Things First
  • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • The Power of Positive Thinking
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • Influencer: The Power to Change Anything
  • Winning
  • The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
“Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain cool and unruffled under all circumstances. —Thomas Jefferson” 0 likes