Start by marking “The Four Realms” as Want to Read:
The Four Realms

The Four Realms

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Half-vampire Darwin stumbles across a corpse on the streets of London, and in a pocket discovers a notebook in a mysterious language. Divided between human ethics and vampire bloodlust, Darwin finds himself both condemner and saviour of a race who’ve never considered him one of their own... Now, he must try and lead the survivors to sanctuary in New Salisbury before Mr Wes ...more
ebook, Kindle, 235 pages
Published December 26th 2012 by Anarchy Books

To ask other readers questions about The Four Realms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Realms

Blondebunbun
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on fantasy with centaurs with shotguns and a winging half vampire and his fallen angel companion. By the end of the book I just wanted to slap Darwin and tell him to get a backbone. The most fun character was a octogenarian gate keeper who was the opposite of Darwin, she had gumption and just got on with things.

The plot itself flowed well however in some cases I would have liked there to have been a bit more detail. Not sure if this is because additional books are planned but
Cate
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book, very British in style and location.

I loved the old lady. She was a great character and unexpected hero. The other two heros were ok but not as likeable.

Lots of solid bricks laid the foundation of the story, which came together in a pleasing peak.

I think some of the characters needed more depth to understand their reasons for their actions.
Mieneke
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
So you want to write a novel. You want to write an urban fantasy novel. In said novel you want to include vampires, but you think that been done to death (pun intended) so you need a hook, something fresh, something new. What do you do? Well, if you're Adrian Faulkner, you make your heroine an 82-year-old woman and you let her kick some ass. Yes, you didn't see that one coming did you? Neither did I. Oh, I knew it—I'd read the cover copy after all. But knowing a thing and knowing a thing to be t ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ernest, an old wizard, dies in mysterious circumstances. And no-one seems to care, certainly none of the wizards – except Maureen. An 82 year old woman who has long been a gatekeeper for the wizards, she’s determined that her long term companion’s death won’t be ignored and brushed aside and, stifling worries about her future as her waystation becomes less and less used, she sets off into Vanefasia to find answers. Who killed Ernest, what was he involved in and why doesn’t the Abbot care.

Darwin
Paul
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Half-vampire Darwin stumbles across a corpse on the streets of London, and in a pocket discovers a notebook in a mysterious language. Divided between human ethics and vampire blood lust, Darwin finds himself both condemner and saviour of a race who’ve never considered him one of their own. Now, he must try and lead the survivors to sanctuary in New Salisbury before Mr West completes his genocide of the vampires in his quest to obtain the book…

Maureen Summerglass is eighty-two years old, a prison
Dornorn
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This was our first book for the book club I started this year so it's quite special to me. I picked it as I have been aware of the author for some time being a part of the geocaching community and it's really nice to see people getting published that you vaguely know. Anything I could do to help support that seemed like a good thing to do. The book was generally well received and the author offered our group a Q&A session which is just so generous and testament to what a nice bloke he is.

So
David Ledeboer
The Four Realms is not your typical fantasy novel and that’s not a bad thing. Yeah, so the hero, Darwin, a very confused half-breed vampire might or might not get the girl, Cassidy, a young and naive fallen angel at end of the story. Also, a ridiculously old lady, Maureen Summerglass, who lives with her cats and has a portal to another dimension in her cellar, might or might not find out she can do magic and play a vital role in this whole story. There also might or might not be tentacle-wieldin ...more
Chatham Boy
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. Like others have stated, I would like to know more about Cassidy and hope a sequel to this excellent debut novel rectifies this. The book kept me captivated right up to the end and a slight touch of sadness hit me when it ended. Like the season ending of your favorite TV show, it left me wanting more. Hopefully it won't be too long until the next installment of Maureen, Darwin and Cassidy's adventures.
All Things Urban Fantasy
When trolls and wizards meet the London streets, you get THE FOUR REALMS. This book manages to marry these conflicting flavors of classic and urban fantasy without missing a beat. The Dexter-esque anti-hero Darwin took awhile to win me over, but I was invested in elderly, unappreciated Maureen immediately. Though style of story telling is not my usual cup of tea, the action flowed fast enough to sweep me away.

Ultimately, it is that style issue that lowers my rating to 3 bats. The central problem
Julia
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, arcs
Trolls and wizards meet the London streets, and THE FOUR REALMS manages to marry these conflicting flavors of classic and urban fantasy without missing a beat. The unloveable, Dexter-esque vampire Darwin took awhile to win me over, but I was invested in under-appreciated Maureen immediately.

This style of story telling is not my usual cup of tea, but the action flowed fast enough to sweep me away. Maureen's ability to unknowingly do magic was a narrative stretch, but luckily Faulkner doesn't bel
Gordon
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Another recommendation from Goodreads itself this time. I wonder if that was because it was fantasy or if it was because it was another in what I am now calling the "Little Old Lady" subgenre of recent fantasy books. If you haven't read the Adventures of Nana Barb you should do its very good.
This on the other hand is OK it does have some good points and I like the general idea of the 4 realms and the mixture of fantasy, vampires and also sci-fi elements. I suppose a sequel might address my point
Barbara
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
3 1/2 stars from me. How can you not like a book which has a cranky 82 year old woman as the heroine?

A fresh take on the urban fantasy genre which takes some doing. Fast paced plot with interesting characters who develop over the course of the story.

My only quibble is that, while this is a complete story, there is obviously much more to be told and there is no sign of book 2. He's also a little cavalier with Maureen's cats (ok, that's two quibbles).

Lyn
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended by a friend *coughs*Simon*coughs*

Although I was slow getting into it, the book turned out to be a very easy, enjoyable read. I'm hoping it's the first of a series as it's left me wanting to know what happens to everyone next. Plus, you know, I'm kind of worried about Maureen's cats...
Milady133
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasía-urbana
It was an original and entertaining book. I hadn't read anything from this author previously, I got this book in some offer some years ago, and had been sitting in my TBR pile since then. Now that I'm going through that list in order (more or less) it got its turn, and it's been a good surprise. I'm not going to classify the author as a "must", but if another book crosses my path, I'll buy it.
Neil Brett
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Discworld meets Underworld, i loved this book and couldn't stop reading it a real page turner,personally hoping for more books from this author in the same environment, i'm a really slow reader but this book kept me reading and i'd finished it in 3 days.
Jan 29, 2013
Mack
Jun 26, 2013
Simon West
Jan 16, 2013
Adrian Faulkner is a writer, record-breaking geocacher, sword fighter and trained storm chaser. He has been inside a mile-wide tornado and lived to tell the tale.

He was a pioneer in online pop culture journalism, creating and editing the global geek news website, Action-Figure. Covering a mix of collectibles, toys, comics and movies for over a decade, the site hit a quarter of a million audited pa
More about Adrian Faulkner...