Start by marking “Jesus CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership” as Want to Read:
Jesus CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership

Jesus CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership

Following the example of Jesus, a "CEO" who built a disorganized "staff" of twelve into a thriving enterprise, a handbook for corporate success details a fresh, profound approach to motivating and managing others that translates to any business.
Published May 2nd 1996 by Hachette Books (first published January 5th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus CEO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus CEO

Start your review of Jesus CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership
A Rye
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves wasting time, and enjoys becoming less intelligent through reading.
Recommended to A by: an idiot.
Shelves: fiction, crap
Erin
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurie Beth Jones uses Jesus' life, ministry, and relationships to demonstrate what she calls "Omega Leadership" - a style which is neither "alpha" (Type A) or "beta" (Submissive/Passive) but rather encompasses both assertiveness and compassion. I enjoyed the format of the book - each small chapter focused on a key characteristic and tied examples from scripture to modern circumstances. Recommend for leaders in any sector.
Kristin Wilk
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome leadership book that I discovered attending, Loyola! Studying Jesus' leadership style and applying it to todays world. My take away: Emphasizing the importance of being an "omega" leader like Jesus in the real/business world. A true leader can not always be an alpha style leader or a beta style leader. They must be willing to follow and lead when needed. A great leader is able to do both!
Leah
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually started reading this book after having to make a tough decision as a manager at work. I've always had difficulty with the fact that business and spirituality, much like politics and religion, simply do not mix. The intro of this book is most interesting because the author talks about how few business books are written by women, and also how Jesus led his staff/disciples, a group of poor, uneducated men to carry on a message that has lasted for more than two millennia. How did he do it ...more
Jim Martin
Geared to the business world, but has many applications in dealing with people in general. Page 111- chapter titled "He was Bold" points out that Jesus did not debate in his head or with commitees His next step, as he already knew in his head and heart what the next, correct step should be. He drove our the money changers, He walked into the temple and taught as 12 years of age, not out of arrogance, but out of boldness and clarity. He used his very blood to paint the message. President F.D. Roo ...more
Jeff
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
An interesting approach: modeling the behavior of Jesus Christ as an example for business leaders. Lacks greatly in its execution however. It is obvious the author is well versed in the business world but lacks depth in Biblical insights. I feel that she should have co-authored this book with someone that has greater religious knowledge than herself. The 'afterward' could have been left out. It was unprofessional and caused her credibility to dimension. The book has some good insights but her sc ...more
Allison
Mar 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
I had to read this book (for whatever reason) for my American History class. I got through 2/3 of it and decided I didn't need to finish it to write my paper--I could get everything I needed from the chapter headings.

I thought Jones' writing style was terrible and her theology inconsistent and a faulty representation of the Bible. I also came away thinking that if you cut out all the Biblical references she could have truthfully called the book "What I Learned About Being A Leader".
Adrienna
This book I would definitely add to my library. This book is written in 1995 but I can still walk away with many of these concepts on leadership, visionary, and Jesus' concept on discipleship.

So many great quotes that I shared in my Christian groups on FB. "Jesus said, "I give you my name. Use it." We do as believers--"in Jesus name." We claim it and name it, in His name. Yes, blessed by this book. Use your gifts and make disciples of Jesus Christ.
Robert Cristobal
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After hearing Dr. Lance Wallnau speak on the opportunities to shape culture in the workplace by living out to the full the giftings that God has bestowed to a believer, it is quite timely to read about a book on leadership which talks about the practical techniques that was modeled by Jesus through his disciples.
John Taebenu
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: best for purchase and read
Shelves: personal
What I learned from this book is Jesus our patron in life. We should learned alot from Him because He is best ever CEO the world ever had.
Kim Kanofsky
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to say, Jesus certainly taught us a LOT about being an excellent leader. I will have to refer to my notes often to be sure I am following his ways.
Janel
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it and still refer to it today.
Jara
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, "Jesus, CEO" contains insightful and practical wisdom about how to apply Jesus' "Omega" style of leadership (Jesus actually refers to Himself as "The Alpha AND the Omega" in Revelation 22:13) in the modern business world.

I recommend "Jesus, CEO" as a devotional to Christians who are interested in business or leadership, non-Christians who are interested in self-improvement, and anyone who wants to understand business from a woman's perspective*. As a multi-talented advertising consulta
Stacy S.
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The chapters are short, so I agree with those that said it is more like a daily devotional. It is full of simple, but powerful reminders of how our spiritual lives should intersect with our professional lives, and examples of how to be a servant leader by following in the traits and habits of our Lord Jesus Christ. I enjoyed the book very much. Definitely could be made into a meatier book, but the short, easy-to-digest chapters were helpful for me, allowing me to pick up when I needed to refocus ...more
autumnatopoeia
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
This concept of Jesus as a CEO and the introductory description of Omega leadership really intrigued me. However, this book was mostly shallow, very dated (some books from the 90's just don't age well), and filled with shaky theology (granted, I understand this is a business book, but when you pull Jesus into the theme, you had better have your theological ducks in a row). There were a few golden nuggets (I'm NOT referencing the random personal poems/song lyrics)... but mostly this was a very bo ...more
Charles Francis
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author wrote this book a while back, so you will notice it is a little dated by her references, nevertheless the lessons and messages is timeless. This is a book that I reread once and a while as a reminder to think and act like an Omega leader like the author points out that Jesus must have been.

The book is chalked with little nuggets of personal stories and examples that are very instructive. Nicely written and doesn’t drag on.

John
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Management consultant Laurie Beth Jones details a series of attributes for Jesus regarding his sense of mission and relationship with others and applies them to management. Each chapter is only two-three pages long culminating with a couple of questions to ponder. Although I purchased the book as an preaching resource, this book would also be beneficial with any that manages teams of employees.
Kevin Dickson
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tcmi-books
An interesting concept and it’s obvious that the author has excelled in business. But this book lacks depth and Biblical understanding - some parts even seemed to be contrary to the Bible. I was very excited to read this book based on the title, but overall, this book really isn’t even worth sitting on a night stand somewhere.
Jeremy Cork
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed how each chapter was set up; as a character trait of Jesus translated to that of an Omega Leader. It's the kind of book where you can read through the list of chapters and find a trait that you are curious about then go read the chapter - more like a manual. I will recommend it to my superior leadership any chance I get.
Cherie Kephart
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a book that I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own, but was recommended to me. It was an interesting read, one that brought forth a lot of wise teachings that are applicable to all of us, no matter what our occupation or religious/spiritual beliefs. I appreciated the succinct nature of the book and also the questions at the end of each section to get the readers to consider how they can best apply these concepts in their life.
James Wilson
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book was not at all what I was expecting; however, it was delightfully written and showed how Jesus "ran His business" of leading His disciples. Laurie Beth Jones used Biblical references and introduced me to a new perspective of the life and teaching of Jesus Christ. This book is inspiring and I encourage all who aspire to become more than they are to read this book.
Victoria
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captured my interest and a valiant attempt to tie in Jesus' principles of leadership into today's corporate environment; after all we should try to understand Jesus' leadership style considering his following!
Sharon Gilpin
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was a little too simplistic in structure. It would have been nice to have greater Biblical depth to the reasoning aspects of Jesus' leadership. But there are many good points for a person in leadership to consider.
Steven
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book even if you are not religious!! Very well thought out and thought provoking! Definitely something all people should read and contemplate!
Travis Fasko
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short read making Jesus the CEO of the newly founded Christian movement.

There are some great nuggets of wisdom, that I will be using in my management style.

Travis
veto
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Not as good as the book cover suggest. Was disappointed.
Deborah-Ruth
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great concept - taking the Biblical example of Jesus Christ and showing us what we can learn from Him in terms of being an effective leader and running a good business. This book walks us through several well-known Gospel stories and exemplifies the way Jesus treated others with respect and dignity, His integrity and accountability. It also uses real life examples from other leaders and the author's own life to illustrate how we can better incorporate these techniques and ideas into our o ...more
John
Dec 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst written books I have ever come across. The title sucks you in and you think you are going to get a book full of leadership qualities demonstrated from Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, 85% of the chapters went like this: Jesus was "Believed in them." Then an example or two from her own life or someone she has heard about. Then the chapter ends stating "so now you can see how Jesus beleived in them.

The only thing I felt was worth taking away from the book was a quick referenc
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea of this book better than the book itself. The author's choppy writing style and overzealous use of headings is distracting. And I suppose the cynic in me just kept thinking, "Yeah, if I could walk on water and raise the dead, people would probably subscribe to my brand of leadership too." Cynical - yes, I know. But, on the other hand, the author makes very good points about Jesus's dedication to and love for his disciples. Jesus was much more people-focused, considering his disc ...more
Raj
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is one of those books I used in Organizational Behavior. It can be applied to any business, service, or endeavor that depends on more than one person to accomplish a goal, and can be implemented by anyone who dares. "Jesus, CEO". If there is someone who could personalise Jesus in everything one did, felt and thought, then it sure has been described in your book. Laurie Beth uses the content of becoming an "Omega Leader" as one of her key Leadership Resources when working with teams and develo ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word, #2)
  • David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Sin and Salvation: God's Work for and in Us
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • Where Do We Go from Here:  Chaos or Community?
  • Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
  • Captain James Cook: A Biography
  • The Lonely Londoners
  • Dancing at Lughnasa

News & Interviews

“It is easy to make a sales presentation but not have the courage to ask for the order. Jesus always asked for the order. He enrolled his team. He asked them publicly for a verbal contract. “I will do these things. Will you be on my team?” Then he waited for the answer.” 0 likes