Start by marking “Every Fixed Star” as Want to Read:
Every Fixed Star

Every Fixed Star

(Tender Ties Historical #2)

Haunted by a past full of mistakes, both real and imagined, Marie Dorion struggles with more than just the physical stresses and dangers of the of the early pioneer days--she believes herself to be undeserving of a rich, good life. However, she soon discovers that God's goodness and love transcend even the harshest of circumstances. Jane Kirkpatrick continues the story of ...more
Audiobook, Abridged
Published June 1st 2003 by Oasis Audio (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Every Fixed Star, please sign up.
Teresa I think so he did, but nobody really found out if he did or not.

Start your review of Every Fixed Star
Susie
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Enjoyed this book and can't wait to finish the series! Marie Dorian Vernier Toupin was an amazing woman by historical accounts and this fictionalized account of her life and struggles is a great read!
Linda
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Pacific Northwest history!
Rusty
I found the first book in this series ok and wasn't sure I would read the second but it was so much better. The story has been well written with none of the rambling the first novel exhibited. I chose to follow through as I needed a book for a challenge and this one was on my shelf. In addition, I quite like Marie as portrayed in the first book. The author reviews her extensive research in her notes at the back. While I did not always agree with the liberties she took in writing the tale, I did ...more
Beverly
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't my favourite read from Jane Kirkpatrick. It might be because it is the second book of 3 and I haven't read the first. There were parts that were a bit confusing, hard to navigate at times. But Marie's story, her pain, her loss, her sense of being unworthy of joy, or love or blessing, was very poignantly set into the race to claim land and control resources in the west. I was so surprised to find the voyagers of the Hudson Bay Company traveling down into what would become Oregon, Idaho ...more
Astrida
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This inspirational story is based on truth. By 1814, the Astor expedition Marie had joined with family has disintegrated. New trials confront Marie: an abrupt end to love, separation from friends, disappearance of a child and a painful division from another. Through it all she struggles to know her purpose. She ultimately discovers that gifts come in many forms and are to be accepted and treasured.
"My mother always said to keep my eyes open for the unexpected good, the little treasures."
Lorraine
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is #2 from Jane Kirkpatrick's "Tender Ties Historical Series". The story of Marie Dorion, of the Iowa Tribe, (who, like Sacajawea, who led the Lewis and Clark Expedition 6 years prior) is remembered for leading white men to the Oregon Territory. She was the only woman in the 11 month, gruelling 3500 mile Astoria Expedition which ended in 1812. This woman's strength, perseverance and survival instincts are legendary.
Becky
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that although it is a work of fiction, it is based on facts from that time period/area. It was a bit slow at times, but overall an interesting read. Being as it is the second in a three book series and I haven't read the other two, I could still follow the story without being totally lost. I thought she did a good job of bringing closer to the story, although their is obviously more to be told in book three and one unanswered question in particular.
Betty
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. I found the story of Marie very interesting even though it is a historical fiction book.
Marie's parenting of her rebellious, younger son frustrated me; and her older son, Baptiste' blaming his mother for the death of his first first wife and separating himself from her was disappointing to me.
I especially enjoyed, and was surprised when Marie's third husband chose not to follow his employer's order to do something stupid and dangerous.
Toni
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book from Jane Kirkpatrick and a great series. This the second book in the Tender Ties Historical series from Jane. Once again this is a wonderful and inspiring book about the struggles of Marie Dorion. This book finds Marie and her two sons living in the Pacific Northwest territory’s Okanogan settlement in 1814. Marie proves to be a survivor.
penelopewanders
After a long bookcrossing journey, this finally made its way to me. I had read the first a while ago, so it took me some time to find my way back into the story, the atmosphere, and the rhythm of the writing. At first this was difficult, but gradually I got into the book and enjoyed it. The heroine is often irritating, but the story is fascinating.
Amber
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. A little long with lots of characters to keep track of, but so interesting.
Andrea
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the history and everything and getting to know the characters but it just got really long!! Don't think I"m going to try the third.
Joy
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See review on first book in the series
Cws
YA Kir
Hollis Fishelson-holstine
sequel to 'A name of her own'
Susan LaVictoire
Just started this one.
Liz Hedgpeth
Started it, and realized that it was #2 in a series. Wasn't understanding it. Should read #1 first I guess. Didn't finish it.
Dawn
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the fictionalized account of real person Marie Dorion. Her life in the Pacific NW and the trials she goes through.
PWRL
Shelves: prior-to-2015
Tender Ties series #2.
Marie Carmean
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished this second in the Tender Ties series by Jane Kirkpatrick about Marie Dorion. Even better than the first in the trilogy! The themes that this book embraces were dear to my heart: learning you are worthy of God's love no matter what, that He wants all of us to accept that unconditional Gift; that forgiveness can come if we first forgive ourselves and we patiently wait with hope; that all the sacrifices a mother makes, peppered as her decisions are with mistakes because she is human, can ...more
Christine
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-finished
The continuation of Marie Dorion's life in the book,
Every Fixed Star was powerful.
The sheer determination just to keep going forward instead of giving up amazed me. The more I read of Marie Dorion's life the more I want to know about her. She put her children before herself added to the determination of their survival. Losing 1 husband was tragic enough, but to lose 2 as well as 2 of her grandchildren was heart-wrenching. The loss that this woman experienced was overwhelming and my heart ached
J Crossley
Allyson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book - I mainly kept reading to see if my predictions about certain characters were correct. Admittedly I did not read the first book, so maybe that would have changed things, but I felt little connection with Marie and did not find her likeable or interesting. I had hoped for a much better story and character development.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sequel the is as good as the first book. A story worth reading with its Columbia River area settings and realistic descriptions about the frontier.
Tami Barrett
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Kirkpatrick never fails to bring out unknown historical facts of our Northwest Native tribes and those who trekked through pioneering hardships. Once again she did not disappoint.
Ann
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this series and can't wait to read the third book
Ronda Jones
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book better as the story gets going.
Heidi Weaver
She still irritates me.
Teresa
I loved all three of these books. It is very interesting to read about how things were over 200 years ago. I learned things I did not know.

• Quick Crochet Huge Hooks
  • A Light to My Path (Refiner's Fire, #3)
  • Never Too Late to Go Vegan: The Over-50 Guide to Adopting and Thriving on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Summer at Lake Haven (Haven Point, #11)
  • On a Coastal Breeze (Three Sisters Island, #2)
  • Why Emotions Matter: Recognize Your Body Signals. Grow in Emotional Intelligence. Discover an Embodied Spirituality.
  • Stretching to Stay Young: Simple Workouts to Keep You Flexible, Energized, and Pain Free
  • Candle in the Darkness (Refiner's Fire, #1)
  • Gods and Kings (Chronicles of the Kings, #1)
  • Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter
  • Truths I Never Told You
  • God's Debris: A Thought Experiment
  • Love Over Scotland (44 Scotland Street, #3)
  • Espresso Tales (44 Scotland Street, #2)
  • Someone Like You
  • Brainstorm!: The Stories of Twenty American Kid Inventors
  • The 5 AM Revolution: Why High Achievers Wake Up Early and How You Can Do It, Too
  • "Trickle Down Theory" and "Tax Cuts for the Rich"
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."

Tender Ties Historical (3 books)
  • A Name of Her Own (Tender Ties Historical, #1)
  • Hold Tight the Thread

News & Interviews

“My mother always said to keep my eyes open for the unexpected good, the little treasures.” 5 likes
“Kindness is the beaded belt that binds all together. Expect kindness. Whatever you give out will be returned” 1 likes