Start by marking “Menace From the Deep (Killer Species, #1)” as Want to Read:
Menace From the Deep (Killer Species, #1)

Menace From the Deep

(Killer Species #1)

Emmet Doyle is not in the best mood when he arrives in Florida City. His father is a wildlife biologist, and has been summoned to the Everglades, dragging Emmet along with him. Though still in mourning from losing his mom a year ago, Emmet's trying hard to keep a good attitude.

Upon their arrival, however, things quickly get weird. Dr. Rosalita Geaux, the Park Superintende
Published June 25th 2013 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Menace From the Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Menace From the Deep

Raul G.
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
My book is called Killer Species 1#.The author is Michael P. Spradlin.In this paragraph i will say things about the book.The book has 225 pages in it and the genre is action/adventure.Also in goodreads it has 4 stars and the author used author craft in one part.That part was when a poor man got up and talk to them and he did not talk not normal well what i mean is that he did not use proper grammar because he lives on the steets but the author doesn’t tell us that. I think he didn't go to school ...more
Vidal Ovando
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
HAS SOME SPOILERS!!!!! I LOVE THE SERIES.THE ONLY THING I DIDN'T DO WAS READ IT IN ORDER AND I DIDN'T READ BOOK#3 BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE IT.THIS IS THE FIRST HYBRID DR.CATALYST HAS CREATED CALLED A "PTEROGATOR". EMMET DOYLE AND CALVIN GEAUX ARE THE FIRST TO SEE THEM IN ACTION AFTER A BOAT RIDE.DR.CATALYST WANTS THE EVERGLADES TO SHUT DOWN TO LET HIS HYBRIDS LOOSE.THEN,HE KIDNAPPS EMMET'S FATHER TO MAKE CAVIN'S MOM CLOSE THE GLADES,PERMANENTLY.WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO EMMET'S FATHER AND WHAT WILL HE AND ...more
Sheila Myers
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A thrilling sci-fi novel for kids and teens.
Sherry Guice
Really liked this book--science fiction great for struggling readers--lots of action, a cute dog, interesting mad scientist and short chapters. The vocabulary is rather difficult which lends itself to word work. The same characters are in the sequels I think...
Cole
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hunter
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Logan Guerra
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spoiler Alert!

Just imagine a terrible creature lives near you what will you do? The genre of this book is realistic fiction. I will give this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the tension it makes up.

This book takes place in The Everglades, Florida near a long strip of water that connects a river to a larger body of water. In the book a boy named Emmet Doyle moves to Florida his father is a wildlife biologist but, focuses mostly on birds. They moved to Florida for a long Family business trip.
Stephen
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-checkout
Plenty of children's and YA novels can still be enjoyed by adults. The current state of the YA market is a perfect example of that. Sadly, this is not one of those books. While I probably would have loved it when I was 10, it certainly feels flat and overly simplistic as an adult.

It's about a young boy who has to move to a new place (the Florida Everglades) because his dad works for Fish and Wildlife Service and there are reports of strange happenings in the area. He has to deal with the woes of
✌ Ashley ☠
A solid 4 star book.
I really like Emmet and Calvin together. They complement each other well. Where Emmet is impulsive and acts without thinking, Calvin is methodical. Emmet needs Calvin's know how and Calvin needs Emmet to give him that extra push to take a chance.
Beyond a cool science fiction story, there's also a good mystery here. Who is Dr. Catalyst and did he survive at the end?
The science behind this story was great too. I've always been fascinated by prehistoric creatures and their ec
Mari Anne
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
This was a VERY hot book at our latest school book fair ,which we just wrapped up. I bought it to see if it was going to live up to the hype. It did not disappoint. This MG novel reads somewhat like a juvenile version of a Michael Crichton novel, filled with rabid enviromentalists, steady wildlife scientists, genetically engineered monsters and the kids who have to save the world. The writing was tight and descriptive and to top it all off there was a lot of great science info in the book which ...more
Susan
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this in paperback, so here goes.

It's a well-plotted and well formatted book, with large print and some nice illustrations.

What sucked me in was excellent, funny dialog. Not to give away any spoilers, this book is for anyone with an "inner child" who wants to tickle his/her funny-bone, try to guess who-done-it, and come away with a "clean" read. No foul language, nudity, or sex; just an excellent story for all ages. Buy it for your grandchild if you must, but read it yourself first--too mu
Angel Sandoval
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it has a huge alligator. The book is about these two boys and finds a man going to kill his father which is dead or is he. I would recommend this book to Edgar because he likes long books.
Michael
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
it was a little confusing
Robert Kent
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Esteemed Reader, I've got a proper treat for you today. Killer Species is exactly the sort of series I would've wanted to read as a boy and adult me has had my eye on it for a while. If a cover wants to grab my attention, it needs to have a monster on it (or a zombie or a superhero). Menace from the Deep has a giant alligator on its front. It had me at "hello."

Still, young me would've been skeptical. Is this book really populated by giant alligators, or is the cover a teaser image? If Spradl
Andy
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading about biology of animals is interesting but a realistic fictional book about a dangerous species in Killer Species: Menace from the Deep is even better. These killer species are no ordinary animals. They are unordinary because their engineered, devastating, and troubling animals like no other. This species make their home in the Everglades and destroy the ecosystem. Definitely this book catches my interest more than an informative biology book.
Emmet Doyle is a boy who lives in Montana
Joshua Adams
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the story Menace From the Deep by Michael P. Spralding. The main character Emmet Doyle lives in Montana with his dad. His dad is a scientist and they have to visit another scientist in Florida to discuss the Everglades. When they get there Emmet meets nee friends named Duke, Riley, and Calvin. A couple days later Emmet hears his dog barking unusually so he walks outside and sees a massive alligator in his backyard. The dog sprints in the house and Emmet calls people to come and get rid of the ...more
Brandon
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emmett Doyle just moved to Florida because his dad was called there to research the wildlife there. This was not the real reason he was called to the everglades though. Recently an animal that looks like an alligator was found dead and it was not a natural animal. They discovered that it was man made and someone has made more than just one. Dr.Catalyst is the man that has made the species and he plans to shut down the Everglades so he can set the rest of them loose. When Emmett's dad gets close ...more
Daisy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grades: 3rd and up
summary: Emmett Doyle and his father have to relocate to Florida City after his father a wildlife biologist is called urgently by Dr. Geaux. Dr Geaux who doesn't have time for chit chat or banter and reveals the true and very urgent reason the Dr. Doyle was called, a new genetically engineered reptile called the "ptergators," is soon to be released but why? and who created it?

Review: The book is great for an adventure seeker or reluctant readers. The book is chuck full of suspe
Oliver
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emmet Doyle moved to Florida from Montana after his mom's death because of his fathers work when a strange alligator is there to greet them. Killer Species book one was an incredible read,there were so many cliff hangers your will have fallen off your seat by the end of the book. The middle school age children will be very easy to relate to. This thriller sci-fi book is a good read for any young book worm. I would suggest this book to anyone who love to read science fiction.
CluckingBell
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Aimed at grades 5-7, this is pretty tame fare compared to what I was reading in middle school, and the cover and title misrepresent the story a bit. But it's a pleasant enough read, especially because the kids are pretty smart and responsible (until the plot requires otherwise, of course, but even then they handle themselves well in a crisis), and the adults treat the kids like actual people, which I like.
Darya Kowalski
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile, young-adult
A suspenseful adventure for a new yet reluctant resident of the Everglades. On his first day there he goes on a boat ride and ends up almost being lunch for two genetically created 'pred-a-gators.' An extreme environmentalist, Dr. Catalyst, had good intentions of ridding the swamps of invasive snakes but then his plans changed...

Jake Spaulding
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought it was a fairly good book. It was kind of boring the first half but then got more entertaining as it went on. It also started to suck me in because I wanted to find out if the bad guy in the book got caught.
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great ending and I loved the mystery of who the scientist was.
Anna ~ Writer's block is when your imaginary friends refuse to talk to you~
meh...could have been better. contained quite a bit of evolution, which has been proven wrong time and time again!
Tamara
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dr. Catalyst is a bad guy who starts off with good intentions. He just has poor methods. And a big ego.
Hailey McLain
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: already-read
I thought it was really good, but the beginning was a bit to drawn out.
Shane
This book has enough action spread throughout to keep readers' interest, although the cover image is quite misleading as to what the creatures that the boys deal with actually look like.
Jacob
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a very action packed book.
Landon
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sally Kruger
Emmet Doyle isn't happy to leave his snowboarding life in Montana, but his scientist father has been offered a job in the Florida Everglades. Emmet is still adjusting to the death of his mother and relocating and starting at a new school has him very nervous, but he will soon learn there is something even more frightening about to enter his life.

Mr. Doyle has been hired for his expertise in the study of predatory birds. The woman in charge of the Everglades National Park is hoping he can help di
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Ghost (Dog Whisperer, #3)
  • Writing Children's Books for Dummies
  • Other Worlds
  • Astronaut Academy: Re-entry
  • Crash (Stay Alive, #1)
  • Haunters
  • Giving Up the Ghost (Saranormal, #6)
  • The Color of Rain
  • Starbounders
  • Darkbeast Rebellion (Darkbeast, #2)
  • Time Trapped (Time Snatchers, #2)
  • Survivors (Stranded, #3)
  • On the Run
  • The Creature Department
  • Aesop's Secret (Athenite, #1)
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Garfield Hams It Up (Garfield, #31)
  • Song of the Mountain (Mountain Trilogy, #1)
Michael P. Spradlin is the author of more than a dozen books for children.

Killer Species (4 books)
  • Feeding Frenzy (Killer Species, #2)
  • Out for Blood (Killer Species, #3)
  • Ultimate Attack (Killer Species, #4)