Start by marking “Breakaway (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #2)” as Want to Read:
Breakaway (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #2)

Breakaway

(The 39 Clues: Unstoppable #2)

As a member of the most powerful family history has ever known, thirteen-year-old Dan Cahill has been shot at, kidnapped, and even thrown into a pit with a deadly snake. He's survived it all due to luck, smarts, and his older sister, Amy, who always sticks by his side.

Now Dan and Amy are facing their greatest threat yet, an enemy who has found a way to use the source of th
Published January 28th 2014 by Scholastic Inc. (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Breakaway, please sign up.

Start your review of Breakaway (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #2)
Aafia
Jan 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
BEWARE: SPOILERS AHEAD!

Yay. Another terrible book in the 39 Clues series. I honestly don't understand why Scholastic couldn't have made Into the Gauntlet the last book (of course, with some Amian added in to make it canon). But no, they find random unknown authors to write some angsty nonsensical action romance drama, further deteriorating the 39 Clues canon. And worse, THERE'S NO HOPE FOR AMIAN!

The Good:

...I'm drawing a blank here. Time to go look through the book again...

1) The hacker subplot.
Bridget
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The reason I didn't give it five stars is because I'm worn out on behalf of the poor characters. I wish they had let this series go. It was bad enough when they were just being run ragged and in danger all the time. Now they have to be falsely maligned and publicly humiliated, too? The books are still exciting and clever, but I just want all the problems to be solved and over with.
Lady Flo
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have I mentioned that I HATE AMY?! Probably yes!
The book generally was interesting, but it was so much tedious and dragging thanks to Amy. There wasn't any real adventure except when Amy locked in the vault. The best part for me was Pony and April May POVs as they gave something different than usual stuff.
Alexis
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
In a nutshell: more discoveries, more clues, more twists.

Notes: I'm starting to think the unstoppable series is quite forgettable.
Tara
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Afrah
Feb 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
The Atlantis part of the book was kind of (just kind of) cool. Honestly, anything to do with Atlantis would gets me interested. However, leave it to Scholastic to write one series too much and ruin the whole goddamn idea. Seriously, most parts of this book were really boring, and it seemed as though the writer wanted you to go like "Wow this is so twisted and cool" when in reality it was like "That don't make no sense." Essentially, the book consisted of Amy's horrible decisions. Amy was a compl ...more
Emma
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am going to kill Amy before Pierce does! HOW COULD SHE DO THAT TO JAKE?!?!?!???!?!? And then she was going to make things all happy happy good good and then SHE DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what's up with Fiske? What sort of meds is he on?
Gkeller123
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I am getting tired of Amy Cahill always feeling that she has to do everything herself to protect others. I understand why the authors do that, but I am getting tired of it. Glad the series is almost done. Starting to get tiresome.
diana
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: better
Hmm...I wish Ian was in it more...at least Jake/Amy isn't working out well!! YES!! >:D ...more
Khả Hân
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was about to drop out of this series, the ending hit me and now I have to know what will happen next. Ughhhhhhhhh, good job Jeff!
This is such an improvement from the first one. More action, less pointless conversations. Best part must be the chapter in Pony’s and April’s povs. I want to know more about these two geniuses.
The thing is, I don’t know if I can stand Amy and Jake for another 200 pages. Both of them are annoying and behave in a i-know-what-is-best-for-us way.
Elizabeth
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Why is Amy so annoying in this?
Dani Shuping
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-amazon
ARC provided by NetGalley

Amy and Dan Cahill have survived, no mean feat given how many family and friends have passed on around them. But a new threat has emerged, one that has power over the media, who will stop at nothing to overthrow the Cahill’s and create his own army. And mass produce the serum to make the world his own. The challenges are greater than ever before for Dan and Amy and to protect those around them…Amy may have to stand alone before an unstoppable enemy.

I missed the whole 39
Melissa
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Actually I'm kind of bummed. I've read all the books in this series and am self-admittedly probably the only person over 40 who has read each of them in one sitting within the first week of publication. I haven't been able to explain why I like them so much since they are the same thing over and over - how many times can Amy and Dan just barely survive and why are they so smart that they've continued to outsmart all the bad guys?

This one might be my last. I've got no problem with the book itsel
Cindy
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am not sure why I still try with this series. I guess its because I sort of liked the first and then it turned into a money grabbing empire.

I can't stand most of the characters. The stories are inconsistant with the previous books. Amy just pisses me off because she's a moron who has become some love sick puppy dog who thinks she knows it all. Everyone else is just as frustrating there is Jake who is a smirking jerk 90% of the time and I just sort of want to slap him a few times to knock the
Sophia
After the trainwreck that ended the last series? Why the fuck are they still coming out with more books. Not even the promise of Ian could get me to pick up this series again.
Also is that Thor's hammer?
Have we gone from 'magical elixers that sort of have something to do with science' to Thor's hammer 'myth myth fucking myth' so quickly? Christ who is writing the plots for this series again? Do you even care anymore?
Rachel
Mar 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was really pretty awful. Prepare to be beyond annoyed with all the characters. The only moment of greatness was when Nellie channeled Ian. I've always been fond of the two of them (though Ian took awhile), so no surprises there. Our main characters though, particularly Amy? The WORST in this book.
Sarah-Kaitlyn
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG I can't wait for this book ugh I wish it was coming sooner
Mark
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
awesome. great book.

spoiler

awesome how they found Atlantis and funny Mr.rosenbloom got mad at the cahills.
DelAnne Frazee
Publisher: Scholastic
Published: 1-28-2014
Pages: 193
Genre: Children's Fiction
Sub-Genre: Mysteries & Detectives, Action & Adventure, Families & Siblings; Family Life
ISBN: 9780545521420
ASIN: B00ESIVYNW
Reviewed For NetGalley and Scholastic
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.5 Stars

A Nightmare Come True

Ava Gordon
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 39 Clues is a fictional story written by, Jeff Hirsch. There is now a new series, with the same people, but in a different setting. Dan is hurt and scared, he got shot and kidnapped and on top of that he got thrown into a pit full of deadly snakes, he is in deep deep trouble! Thankfully he is smart and had good luck as well as his sister or he wouldn’t have made it. There is now an even bigger threat then they had ever before, this threat doesn’t like their family at all and is using the Cah ...more
Yukiraking
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
It was hard to enjoy this book. I loved the idea of it. I wanted to love the book too, but Amy was so difficult to like in this one. In fact, I just didn't like her. I wanted to read the parts without her in it, and since the story couldn't make sense without it. Amy is so self-centered in her quest to protect everyone. She can't do everything alone, and she doesn't want to, but Dan's decision from book 1, to quit being a Cahill makes her so angry that she doesn't make good decisions.

She thinks
Mandy
It's been awhile since I last delved into the world of the 39 clues. Like many other readers, this one fell flat for me. It didn't help that I couldn't remember certain plot points (where did they meet Pony? what happened to Fiske?) from the previous book. I miss the original series where you had so many characters from the family-- it was fun to see Alistair, and Mcintire, and quips from Grace's past. I did enjoy Nellie's small role in this story. I may continue the series, but certainly am not ...more
Sally
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-39-clues
Easiest way is to do a whole series review I think. I loved this quartet! (view spoiler) ...more
LEGION
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
(spoiler alert don't look if you didn't read )caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution caution (NOTHING I WONT RUIN IT)
Thing 2
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was glad I pushed through my disappointments with Day of Doom and listened to this book. It was good, but towards the end there was a lot of similes/imagery like, "... like a fist," "as if a..." and so on. But over all enjoyable. :) Enjoy!
For your more sensitive readers:
Other than "Oh God," nothing I can think of right now :)
victoria darbinian
Historical fiction. I love the Adventures of Amy And Dan. This series is their 3rd adventure.

Very educational. It is one of my favorite series. It is kind of the Vespers coming back to life again.
Jackie Bach
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

The Cahill books keep getting more and more complex! I don’t necessarily like the turn Amy’s character has taken but I sort of understand it. I can’t wait to see what happens next!!
Stephanie Lynn
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audio
Still enjoying the character development, though I hear what others are saying about Amy’s annoyingness. I also can see how it’s happened due to her trauma and increased responsibilities. It just feels really heavy handed at times.
Nicole
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-read
More of this adventure series for kids. I didn't like how one of the main characters, Amy was stressed out for the entire book!
Jerry
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
More action/adventure fun from this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mission Hindenburg (The 39 Clues: Doublecross, #2)
  • Mission Titanic (The 39 Clues: Doublecross, #1)
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • Mission Hurricane (The 39 Clues: Doublecross, #3)
  • Operation Trinity (The 39 Clues: The Cahill Files, #1)
  • Mission Atomic (The 39 Clues: Doublecross, #4)
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)
  • The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)
  • The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)
  • Legacy (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #1)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • The 39 Clues Superspecial: Outbreak
  • Vespers Rising (The 39 Clues, #11)
  • Storm Warning (The 39 Clues, #9)
  • The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8)
  • The Medusa Plot: Cahills vs. Vespers Book 1: Sneak Peek (The 39 Clues)
  • In Too Deep (The 39 Clues, #6)
Here are some things about me.

I live in an extremely Brazilian section of an extremely Greek neighborhood—Astoria, Queens, which is just to the right of Manhattan. (That's as you face Manhattan. If you were, say, lying on your back in the middle of Central Park with your head in a northerly position, we would be to your left) I live there with my wife who has a blog and our two cats who do not. O

The 39 Clues: Unstoppable (4 books)
  • Nowhere to Run (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #1)
  • Countdown (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #3)
  • Flashpoint (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #4)