Start by marking “The Silver Six” as Want to Read:
The Silver Six

The Silver Six

When a group of orphans are thrown together under mysterious circumstances, Phoebe and her pal Oliver lead them in a daring escape from their orphanage to an uninhabited moon. But their idyllic paradise is shattered when the powerful corporate boss who ordered the deaths of their parents sends a relentless henchman to track them down.

Now, with nowhere left to turn and time
Published June 25th 2013 by GRAPHIX

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Six, please sign up.
Jorge Castillo Is there more books like this cause i would like to read the others?

Betsy
Ambition. It’s not a term I usually associate with children’s graphic novels. Your average everyday children’s comic is not particularly ambitious. There are so few of them out there that you can’t make any grand sweeping statements about them, except maybe to stress that the difference between a GN for adults and a GN for kids is scope. While an actual prose novel for the kiddos can set its sights rather high (see: The Golden Compass, Hokey Pokey, The Book of Everything, etc.) children’s graphi ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Art: 4 stars

Superb sci fi graphic novel, with a bit of real science thrown into the mix. Group of six kids save themselves, and the world, in this fast-paced futuristic adventure story. And they're orphans - I've always had a soft spot for orphans.
Wandering Librarians
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Phoebe has been living on her own since her parents died a year ago. When a strange man comes looking for her, Phoebe runs for it, taking with her the moon registry her parent's left her. Phoebe gets nabbed by Child Welfare Services and finds herself living in a home for orphaned children. She meets five other kids, all who have the same moon registry, all signed by Phoebe's father, all whose parent's died on the same shuttle explosion. The Silversix set out to find the truth of their parent's d ...more
Michael L.
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The overall story associated with the authors illustrations mixed perfectly, with a great setting and protagonist, Phoebe, fighting with a company 1000x her size in wealth and popularity.
The antagonist is a Special Agent who is sent to track her down to be either killed or silenced, despite their many attempts to do so, she still manages to cling on to the outside world, hoping to find out one day who the killer of her parents were, who she eventually finds out was the exact company she was runn
Jessica
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I'm not sure if The Silver Six is part of a series, but it should be! It is a fun, adventure-packed graphic novel aimed at middle graders.

The story begins by with an explosion that kills a group of promising scientists and then follows our main hero, Phoebe. She is a kick-butt orphan surviving on her own until she is discovered by her enemy and hunted down at school. After she is sent to an orphanage, Phoebe meets up with 5 other kids who have similar stories and the real action begins.

Lieberman
Susan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
My 9-year-old reluctant reader could not look away from this graphic novel, even when her favorite t.v. show was blaring in front of her face! I had to know what was keeping her attention so riveted; when I started reading, I totally got it. Although THE SILVER SIX has a bleak dystopian setting, it tells a rousing story about six orphans who vow to save their world. Using teamwork, science, courage, and tenacity they do just that. With a focused plot, plenty of action, and dynamic illustrations, ...more
Barbara
I thoroughly enjoyed this graphic novel set far in the future and Earth's citizens live inside bubbles while relying on Hydro-2 for their energy needs. Hydro-2 is controlled by the Craven Mining, a company which exploits Earth's resources in order to enrich its own coffers. When several scientists and researchers come close to finding an alternative fuel source, they are killed. Phoebe Hemingway is the daughter of two of those scientists, and she's been living alone with her robot Max ever since ...more
Drew Perron
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A YA dystopia translated into a graphic novel, and quite well, too. The dystopia is nicely looped in with modern-day concerns. (Even if it doesn't always make sense - if we have easy space travel, why are we even focused on taking resources from the Earth? But that's a minor quibble.) The characters are distinct and diverse, and there's a sprinkling of "we're saving the day using the things you - yes you, middle-school reader - know from science class!" that I love. Plus, found families and kids ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit the title and cover made me think this was just going to be another comic about a group of kids who form a team and become superheroes or agents. I was wrong; it is much more than the average team-up. The plot is the main focus here and it is an exciting, intricate tale of murder, intrigue and corporate power. The bad guys have no special powers and are completely believable in a real world as is the entire plot, even though set in the future. The kids are a diverse collection of ...more
Jenni Frencham
Lieberman, A.J. The Silver Six. Graphix, 2013.

Six orphans discover they have something in common: their parents left them a moon. When they attempt to move to their moon and live out their lives in peace, the corporation their late parents worked for attempts to steal it from them. The kids band together and fight back against the monstrous machines sent to take their moon from them.

The illustrations in this book are really engaging, and kids love stories about orphans. The adventure is nonstop,
Karen Perry
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Fun graphic novel.
A young girl named Phoebe has been living on her own with her trusty computerized robot Max since her parents died in a crash. But she is caught and sent to a horrible and dangerous orphanage where she is called by number and taught to wash billboard screens 50 stories up. Phoebe meets other kids who were children of scientists who died in the same crash and the six children piece together a conspiracy headed by Mr. Craven of Craven Enterprises, the largest fuel mining company
Phillip Vincent
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has everything a children's book should have to make it timeless: wonder, relevant relationships, vulnerability, a twist, and adventure. There was never a point where I wasn't gorging on page after page of "Silver Six." It doesn't talk down to readers, it stays true to its audience in themes and appropriateness, and it is an EXTREMELY well planned and written (and inked) story. It's been awhile since I felt like a kids graphic novel actually went through an editing process. I can't imagine ...more
Bwilcox42
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sara
Super action packed, full color art, sci-fi/dystopian story with an emotional core...I really liked this one. There were a few technical things that bugged me (a few typos, sometimes the transitions were abrupt so I wasn't sure whether I had skipped a page), but I think that kids who like Zita the Spacegirl and other super action, brightly colored comics will really like this and get something out of it.

Will be book-talking for SRP 2014!
Sophia W
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a good graphic novel about what the future may become, and what we should look out for in the world today. Six children, stuck in a world of small, confined spaces and evil companies aiming to do whatever it takes to make money, come together because of a tragic past and eliminate the evil company that is ruling the world. Yay!
Johnny Tentoes
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It's like a teen novel in a children's graphic novel: young orphans who escape the child welfare services of a dystopian world, and discover the answers they seek to the questions of who they are and how they can solve the world's problems. It was an enjoyable read, and I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
Linda
One of the 2016 nominees for the Maryland Black Eyed Susan graphic novel award (grades 4-6), I really enjoyed this book. Orphans, evil corporations and good winning over evil -- what's not to like? I'm sure my students will like it.
Tucker
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tucker by: Truebluedah ♪
Update: I need to re read this so I can review it.
****
MY HEART WAS BROKEN SO MANY TIMES BUT I STILL LOVED THE ENDING!!!
FULL REVIEW TO COME (SORRY CAPS ARE ON AND I'M TO LAZY TO TURN THEM OFFF)
Marcy
This is really, really good. I'm just now getting into graphic novels as an adult, reading them to my boys. I have enjoyed many, but this one stands out. It's clever and has a really interesting storyline, and might have made me cry a little at the end.
Jg
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved this - read it twice
SF Davenport
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting story about energy, orphans, and pancakes. Unfortunately, the children have disproportionate heads as illustrated. The story is SPOILERS (s) Pheobe's parents were killed in a "shuttle accident", which seems very unlikely with the villain making ominous remarks about how much the world depends on "what our company makes" and "it's your job to cover up the evidence".
She spends a year with an annoying robot avoiding child welfare agents until the company tracks her down and sends an
Jeanne-Erin
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
My son really wanted me to read this and I see why, it is a very fun book with a smart female protagonist and a bunch of genius kids, not all boys.

But, man, were there things to dislike. Like the kids are only worth saving because their parents were super smart, and the ending came tied up in a neat little bow in just a couple pages. The whole thing felt like it was having a lot of room to breathe until the author said "I'm sick of this, let's finish it." Certainly felt like it would have bette
Kathleen
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free review copy of this book (who knows when!)

This was a fun romp through a more colorful dystopia than we usually get. Lots of flying machines, kids being clever, daring escapes, teambuilding, and a snarky robot! I appreciated that everyone seems to have clear goals at all times. A good title for kids!
LALa
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Way more compelling action than I expected for a younger graphic novel. Humorous and sentimental, an interesting story the whole way with great artwork. Some of the ending unfolded how I expected, but it was satisfying. Gotta love kid heroes. Would be swell if this one gets turned into a live action sci-fi adventure.
Wasi Ahmed
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read a children's book in ages. After reading this graphic novel I was flooded with the feeling of nostalgia. The artwork is simple and yet beautiful. Reminded me of the 90's Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. The story is lovely.
Happyginger1
The pictures in this book are really astonishing. The adventure is nonstop, and the futuristic setting is a lot of fun. Its also kinda mystery when the kids try to figure out the messages their parents have left for them. This book is very popular with my graphic novel fans as well as my fans of humor books.
Caleb
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book story is great!
Kaleb Ahern
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Errin Weisman
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My boys loved this book as we read it as a bedtime story
Danny
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book was largely dissatisfying to me. The concept seem grand at first but slowly dwindled to the point of boredom. I found the character to lack depth and so their perils seemed unimportant. I have come to enjoy children’s graphic novels from the fun books like G-man to the startling depth of the Amulet series. This book tried to split the difference and did neither well. The Art was decent or I would have only given a single star.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: the Silver Six 3 7 May 18, 2014 10:08AM

• Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • SMASH: Trial by Fire
  • Sparks!
  • The Lost Islands (Explorer, #2)
  • Tommysaurus Rex
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Mal and Chad: Belly Flop! (Mal and Chad, #3)
  • Monster on the Hill
  • Astronaut Academy: Re-entry
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • Texting the Underworld
  • Star Scouts
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)