Start by marking “The Year I Almost Drowned” as Want to Read:
The Year I Almost Drowned

The Year I Almost Drowned

In this continuation of The Summer I Learned to Dive, nineteen-year old Finley “Finn” Hemmings is living in Graceville, South Carolina with her grandparents. She's getting to know the family that she was separated from for the last sixteen years. Finn and Jesse's relationship seems to be going strong until they're forced to deal with obstacles that throw them off-track. As ...more
Published December 20th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

Start your review of The Year I Almost Drowned
Lindsay Paige
Enjoyed this one just as much, if not more, than the first!
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
Life is going great for Finn...she is celebrating her 19th birthday with her grandparents and dad for the first time in years, she has a gorgeous boyfriend, and loves her life in Graceville...what more could a girl want. But college is creeping up on her and she knows that with being so far away, that means even less time with Jesse. How will a relationship, separated by hundreds of miles, possibly work? And when the unthinkable happens, Finn realizes that she has to start making some important ...more
Megan Holmes
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book. If you like a love story then you should read this book. The book is not all about a love story, it is also about Finn finding her grandparents and her father that have been away from for 16 years. If want a good book to read I would suggest this book.
Nicole
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Hope she continues the story in a third book!!
Patti
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As good as the first!

I loved the first book so much, and this one was right up there with it. The characters are so real, you come to feel like you know them. I generally hate “series,” but I really hope this story has one! I could follow these people through a lifetime of stories. I am going to have to read the author’s other books until then!
Candace
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can happily report that Shannon McCrimmon has done it again. The Year I Almost Drowned easily proves that McCrimmon is not a one hit wonder when it comes to writing novels. I first heard of McCrimmon last summer when I read her debut book, The Summer I Learned to Dive (my review can be found at http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.co....) I was instantly enthralled with the characters in her book, particularly Finn and Jesse. I found their budding romance to be realistic and natural. However, my ...more
Darci
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Year I Almost Drowned is Finn's story about who she is trying to stay above water while life throws crap her way
It's about what happens after the Happily Ever After ending The Summer I Learned to Dive left us with. In book 1, Finn's life goes from disaster to fixed in a short amount of time. She has a family that she didn't know about, a wonderful boyfriend, loyal friends, a future and a place in life. The Year I Almost Drowned picks up where that left off and things start going wrong.
I got
Amanda
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I didn't care for this book as much as the first. I think I connected so well with all the characters in the first book so quickly and I liked where it ended.

This book starts you off with the same feelings that are left in the last book. Then it all spirals downhill very quickly and it kind of threw me off guard.

I'm not saying this is a bad book. It isn't at all. I read it quickly and enjoyed it. It just didn't resonate with me the same way the first book did. I hated the tragedy that occurred
P.A. Warren
I love The Summer I Learned to Dive...The Summer I Almost Drowned is the continuation of this series...and it was simply amazing.Finn has been spending more time with her Grandparents and Loving life with her Boyfriend Jessie..Who is pretty amazing. As with most reviews I try not to post spoilers.This book has sad moments..there were several.It has happy moments and it has super duper sigh happy moments.I love the way Shannon McCrimmon writes..the way she writes..it flows so well..its easy to re ...more
Dalene
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book, if possible, was even better than the first! Shannon McCrimmon knows what she is doing. She was able to write a love story, a coming of age story, and a loss story. You have the romance, but McCrimmon threw in death also. Finn is a great character to learn about. She is able to overcome so much in her life, and still make a huge decision at the end of the book that you can't help but love her for. This second of the series is amazing! Watch out for Shannon McCrimmon, she is one heck o ...more
Traci
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this in one night. Finn had a roller coaster year she reconnected with the family that was kept away from her. She fell in love and experience heartache. She found her so called plan wasn't right for her. Sometimes the road we set out for isn't the right one. Jesse hurt Finn but he let her go because he had to but he realizes how much he still loved her. It was bittersweet overall. Quick easy read.
Michael Burhans
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A continuation of Finn's story that was if anything even better than the original, though it would be less if you had not read the first one. Some serious life issues are confronted here, and I like the realism, and the lack of a neat storybook ending. While I would consider the end hopeful and real, it was not over the top. I'll be looking for more books by this author as they come out. She spins a good yarn and creates real characters.
Tammy
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Year I Almost Drowned by Shannon McCrimmon wow a compelling continuation from - The Summer I learned to Dive. It was beautifully written with lovely characters and story. About strength, growth and love. Great book Shannon!
Cora
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I ending up grabbing this one as soon as I was done with The Summer I learned to Dive. Oh I just love the characters and am so happy that we learned more of their story. This one had me crying and it takes a lot to do that....so worth the tears. Beautiful story.
Christie Brumley
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A perfect ending to a perfect series

I've thoroughly enjoyed these books. Was sad it ended. Would love to read more about these characters in the future. A trilogy please!! A great storyline. Masterful storytelling
Valerie
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I could identify with some of Finn's experiences and emotions. I felt like she really grew in this book.
Karen
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Liked these two books (this is the Sequel to The Summer I learned to dive) I will read more from this author.
Gabrielle Zastrow
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this book was better than the first which I adored. I read both books in just 1 day! The love, pain, loss, and character developments with twists made my tear up. Such a great story.
Michelle
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed these books. Would like to see the series continue.
Lyndi Hedgecock
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I cannot wait for the next one! :)
Sara
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really love this story, would love to see another book.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great coming of age story and better than the first book, though the first book was also pretty good.
Leslie
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story - a sequel to The Year I Learned to Dive, I'd been waiting to read this one and finally had the opportunity. Such a wonderful, heart-warming, coming of age story.
Annie
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing ! For once a sequel did not disappoint !
Nancy
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good follow-up book with some good characters. Loved Grandpa and Sidney was a nice addition. But you just can't beat Jesse!
Oxana Tomova
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
As much as I wanted to like this book, and I really did because the first was really good, I just couldn't.

So, first, about the good stuff. Finn continues on with her planned out life with a small delay. She has yet again to find herself and this part of the book is very well written. We get way more action in this book and in the beginning I thought I'd like it way better than the first one.

But then at some point the book became a bore to read. It went really slow and I almost dropped the book
Adam Shields
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Short Review: This is the sequel to the young adult romance The Summer I Learned to Dive. This version is more coming of age than YA romance, but it is a good follow up. I was looking for a beach read and this is a decent one. Borrowed it from the Kindle Lending Library.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/the-year-i-almost-dr...
Autumn Review
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
4.5 stars review to come
Traci Palladino johnsen
Didn't like it as much as the first book but it picked up in the end.
Dawn
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
it's a good every day read or beach book.

• Off the Grid (Monkeewrench, #6)
  • The Last Promise
  • The Locket (The Locket, #1)
  • The Carousel (The Locket, #3)
  • Saint X
  • The Road She Left Behind
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett, #20)
  • The Holdout
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Other Mrs.
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • Lost Boy Found
  • American Dirt
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • Intensity
Shannon McCrimmon is the author of several novels, including The Summer I Learned To Dive and Kiss Me Hard Before You Go. She currently lives in Greenville, South Carolina with her husband and toy poodle. She'd love to hear from you. Connect with her at shannonmccrimmon.com