Start by marking “Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)” as Want to Read:
Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)

Shattered

(The Iron Druid Chronicles #7)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  24,971 ratings  ·  1,288 reviews
Acclaimed author Kevin Hearne makes his hardcover debut with the new novel in his epic urban fantasy series starring the unforgettable Atticus O’Sullivan.

For nearly two thousand years, only one Druid has walked the Earth—Atticus O’Sullivan, the Iron Druid, whose sharp wit and sharp sword have kept him alive as he’s been pursued by a pantheon of hostile deities. Now he’s g
Published June 17th 2014 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.
Brittany Gorrell Last book comes up in April 2018 it has been confirmed that it will be the last. There are 9 primary books and several Novellas to update some extra…moreLast book comes up in April 2018 it has been confirmed that it will be the last. There are 9 primary books and several Novellas to update some extra information not needed for the over all but really good books(less)

·  24,971 ratings  ·  1,288 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg! I was in love with ole what's his head. God! I forgot. That old Druid. He was hilarious! He was trying to get acclimated to life now and he was having a time. He was asking Hal if he had to get one of those fecking phones because he would shat coin if he had too. 😂
Ren
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one of my favorite series by any author ever. The teaser description is great, but ... WHAT ABOUT OBERON??? Oberon, Atticus' faithful Irish Wolfhound, is actually my favorite character. I need to know that he's okay and that he may finally find happiness with a slutty poodle and an endless supply of bacon. This is very important!
Casey
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: druids, urban-fantasy
The characters were in fine form, the writing as usual was great. But it felt like it was missing a plot to me. This book felt like two and half story lines that all were smooshed together. Typically each book has had a theme and this was the first that did not. It was greatly missed.

It felt like I started reading in the middle of the book. The ending was good but really unfulfilling as I was simply following events instead of reaching an important ending.

Typically I give Kevin Hearne solid fiv
Lyn
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kevin Hearne’s genius seems to not just be that he has created Atticus O’Sullivan and the Iron Druid universe, but that he continues to surround Atticus with even more interesting characters.

First, of course, is Oberon, his Irish wolfhound who is bound to Atticus through druidic binding and thus the two can converse telepathically. Next was Granuaile, his apprentice / love interest / fierce fellow druid and then all of the various gods and goddesses who Hearne draws with an experienced brush, d
Michael
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles is one of the best things happening not just in the the universe of urban fantasy but in the publishing world today. With the seventh installment, Hearne graduates to hardcover where hopefully he'll find an even larger audience to appreciate the exploits of Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon.

A quick word of warning, however. If you haven't read the first six installments in this series, starting here is probably going to be a confusing experience. While Hearne wis
m m
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Why mess with a good thing?

I loved the first six books and actually kind of hated this one.

My first problem was the change in format. The first five books were single first person POV and the sixth had one addition, which I didn't have a problem with because I thought it was a one time thing. But this one had three POVs which, in my opinion, did not work out. Not only did it take away from the story and make it really choppy but it was just weird! There were three first person POVs and two of t
Phrynne
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this one on audiobook and it gave me a whole new view of things! I very much enjoyed the narrator's Irish accent, applied in differing degrees for different characters. His interpretation of Atticus was superb. However I did not care for Oberon's speech at all. That was a very small issue though:)
Overall I enjoyed the whole book enormously. The author took a risk in writing from three alternating POVs especially as one of them was running a totally separate story for most of the ti
Karl
Dec 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
This hardcover is signed twice by Kevin Hearne once on the front end page and once on the title page.
Celeste
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review now posted!

This seventh installment in the Iron Druid Chronicles was just as much fun as the previous installments. So far, no book in this series has flopped or been a letdown for me, which is difficult to find in a UF series. However, it’s getting harder and harder to review these books without giving spoilers, so I’ll keep this brief.

This book was a bit different from the preceding books in that it’s not told completely from Atticus’s perspective. We now have three Druids, and we
Treswoc
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this guy. For a while, it was tough to scratch my Dresden itch in between Jim Butcher's novels, then I read my first Iron Druid novel. Now I love Atticus and Oberon every bit as much as Harry and Mouse (and Mister). Kevin Hearne is a goateed master of urban fantasy.
Chantaal
This is probably my favorite urban fantasy series, period. I love Atticus, I love Hearne's nerdy humor, and I love the weaving of various religions and myths into the world Hearne has created. I'm glad that Granuaile got her own POV chapters in Hunted , because she truly shines here. Owen, Atticus' archdruid, is entertaining, but not nearly a strong enough voice to counter Atticus and Granuaile, who have already had six books of character development already.

So, point by point.

The Plot
Shattere
Komal
May 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I think it's time to start a new shelf. A shelf for series that have run their course. On this yet to be named shelf, there are already two slots reserved; one for Chicagoland Vampires & the other for the Iron Druid Chronicles.

With this series, I can't exactly pinpoint where things started to go wrong. I remember feeling a sense of comfort in the earlier books. Atticus was charming and sweet as was the setting of Tempe, Arizona. Hearne's incorporation of mythology was also a big plus. When
Commentary
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
What a slog! Waaaay too many POVs, too many characters, too many supernaturals, too many gods (what, do you think you will be punished if you leave one out?), too many magical artifacts, too many locations and too many plot lines. Really, everything from yetis to every fae you can think of, and gods from every culture, including Jesus for cripes sake? I kept waiting for the kitchen sink. This is a great series, but this book was just a confusing mess. Our heroine still just doesn't ring true for ...more
Belinda Lewis
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Kevin Hearne gives equal first person perspective in Shattered to both Owen and Granuaile, but doesn't capture anything particularly original or interesting in said voices. And this means only a third of the book is in Atticus's voice; his humour and relationship with Oberon is really what makes this series for me. It also reads like three disparate stories sloppily mushed together. Very disappointing, because I've been enjoying the hell out of this mythos.
Tim
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Fewer tragic sequences would have made for a better story in this series. 6 of 10 stars
Haydn
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This suffers from too many things happening, too many points of view, and a lack of focus. I enjoyed it to an extent, but not anywhere near as much as I liked his others.
☕️Kimberly
The Iron Druid series is brilliant, well-paced, hilarious and utterly addictive. Atticus is a two-thousand-year-old Druid is tasked with helping Owen Kennedy his long-ago teacher acclimate to this modern world.All while dealing with some pesky vampires.  Granuaile is now a full-fledged druid and the first new one in centuries and will face down a demon.

Hearne tells the story using three POV's delivered from Atticus, Granuaile, and Owen. While I enjoyed each storyline, Shattered, almost felt like
Wanda
***2017 Summer Lovin’ Reading List***

Best volume of this series so far!!!

I really liked the alternating chapters between Atticus, Granuaile, and Owen. This structure shows, better than any telling, that Atticus has severely underestimated both his partner Granuaile and his archdruid, Owen.

Granuaile gets to adventure on her own, while Atticus and Owen manage to get each other into trouble. Oberon and Orleith are fabulous hound sidekicks. Owen shows that he’s not just a cranky old coot, he’s st
Chip
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Not that the prior books were particularly spectacular, but this one was a significant move downhill. If it were the first in the series, I wouldn't have bothered to move on - and frankly this one was so bad I think I'm finished now anyway. Sample issues: Hearne has moved from one protagonist (Atticus) to three (also Granuaile and Owen), all first person. Unfortunately, their voices aren't particularly distinguishable (which I guess actually means that wasn't Hearne writing the character of Atti ...more
Rissa
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Shattered 4⭐

I cant believe how fast im reading (listening) to this series! It is just so good!
Oberon is still my favorite character and I want him as my own.
Kimberley doruyter
after a lot of back and forth, the you know what hit the fan.
it was impressive
he must get so tired of the past coming back to bite him in the ass.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am surprised when a series can continue to catch and maintain my interest like the first book does. It seems many series, while still good, slowly slide away from the awesomeness of that first book that reached out and grabbed you. Well let me tell you this series keeps getting better the more of them ya read. Fantastic plots and characters. Just the right amount of action, humor and historical reference. I can't stress enough how mush you are missing out if you are not reading these books. Wh ...more
Fin
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite book in this series.

Too many POV changes.

Too many Gods, Fae, etc.

Not enough plot.

Overall just a boring book.
Fredrik

Three gods, two Druids and a selkie walk into a bar...

This book is so powder! As usual, we're thrown right into the action and it doesn't really let up. What I found particularly brilliant was the recap at the beginning of the book, quickly explaining what happened in the previous six books in the series. The pronunciation guide is very welcome, too. But seriously, Scáthmhaide as the name of a staff? I forgot how to pronounce that pretty fast. Each chapter also starts with a small graphic

Ami
Dec 18, 2013 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 45%

I am going to admit defeat. I really didn't think that this was the book's fault, but honestly, my interest with this series had taken a great hit.

It started 2 books ago, with Trapped, after the 12-years jump. The thing is, I didn't like Granuaile as a heroine. I thought she was bland and unimpressive. So when she took more and more scenes, getting her own chapters here with her own adventure, I couldn't find it in me to care. I didn't feel the sparks like it did for the first 4 books
Cherie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
New format: each MC gets his own story space and avatar at the chapter headings. I like it.
I like Owen Kennedy. Lots of action in India with the witch from a previous volume and we now have YETIs.

I will be looking forward to the next book in the series.
Christy LoveOfBooks
This book has three main perspectives - Atticus, Granuaile, and now Owen. I adored Atticus and Granuaile as always, so I was eager to meet Owen after the way the previous book ended. I loved his gruff, crotchety ways, and how he had to deal with the new world. I often got a good laugh at the interactions between Atticus and Owen. Hell, the humor is always fantastic no matter who is involved.

There's a lot that happens. I really like how there are three storylines following each character, yet the
Bradley
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying the new viewpoints and developments. Actual plot is incidental to the character development, but I'm not complaining at all. The taste of things to come makes up for it. As always, the characterization of the Irish gods, (and every other god,) is a delight I can't stress enough. Jesus is always particularly funny. I can't wait for more, for I am well and truly hooked.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
RTC. Yes, I have about 10x R's TC, but I promise I will get there.
Angela
Now this is what I was missing in the last few installments. I just didn't realize it.

I enjoyed the previous books, but they all seemed too easy. Even as things became more difficult in the last couple of books, everything was resolved a little too neatly and with a saving Hail Mary by Atticus.

Those books had a lot of action, fast-paced scenes, and little time for introspection. Except the kind where Atticus seemed to show his humility, or being humbled by what he now realizes he didn't know or

• Carniepunk
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9)
  • Monster Hunter Nemesis (Monster Hunter International, #5)
  • Spellcrash (Webmage, #5)
  • Dämoren (Valducan, #1)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Killing Pretty (Sandman Slim, #7)
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
Kevin is the NYT bestselling author of the Iron Druid Chronicles, as well as The Seven Kennings, an epic fantasy trilogy, and the Tales of Pell, a humorous fantasy series co-authored with Delilah S. Dawson. INK & SIGIL, a new urban fantasy series set in the Iron Druid universe, will be out in 2020.

The Iron Druid Chronicles (9 books)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)
  • Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)
“The garden of sarcasm is watered with impatience, and mine chose that moment to bloom.” 17 likes
“I suspect that many of us, if given the chance to make one person in our lives love us more, would have no trouble in choosing where to point a finger. We are all needy, all vulnerable, all terrified that perhaps that person has an excellent reason to withhold affection. We shape our purposes to make ourselves worthy and often do not see until much later how it was love—or perhaps the lack of it—that both picked us up and dropped us off at crossroads.” 16 likes