Start by marking “Split Second” as Want to Read:

Split Second

(Split Second #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,088 ratings  ·  138 reviews
2:02...2:01...2:00

What the hell was this? I stared at the numbers, numb with horror. The box was a bomb. And it was going to go off in two minutes.

Charlie's life is torn apart by a terrorist bomb in a London market. Months later she meets Nat, whose family has been left devastated by the same explosion. But as Charlie gets closer to Nat she starts to wonder if
Published March 27th 2014 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Split Second, please sign up.
Virginia Every second counts but if you don't know you can usually find it at the side of the screen but it won't work if you are using the mobile version.…moreEvery second counts but if you don't know you can usually find it at the side of the screen but it won't work if you are using the mobile version. Subsequently you can always search for the author and see what books they have released.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Lois
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Maybe I wasn't as sharp as this when I was younger, and within the actual age category this is aimed at, but at 24 I called the bad guy straight away, long before the reveal. I have proof, because I was reading the first couple of chapters aloud to a friend at the time.

There were a couple of twists I didn't call, and I was quite entertained. I've read Sophie McKenzie before and the blurb was interesting, so my decision and the book title went pretty much hand in hand.

The
Split Second is non-stop action from the very first page. Any book that opens with one of the main characters running through a busy London market trying to stop a terrorist attack is bound to capture my attention and I was immediately hooked into the story. The subsequent bomb blast changes both Nat and Charlie's lives forever and links them together in a desperate need for answers and revenge.

This is a really hard book to review because I want to shout from the rooftops about how amazing
Ruaidri Connolly
A good book. Would recommend to anyone who likes action.
Charli - To Another World
Read this review and many more at To Another World

I buddy read this with Georgia, and there are so many words to describe this book; powerful, heart-breaking, thought-provoking. A beautiful thriller with an added romance. I was hooked from the fast-paced prologue that introduced characters and was full of action.

I loved the characters. Charlie, though she annoyed me to begin with, was misunderstood by her family (and me, for a while!) and as she developed she became a beautiful c
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

Sophie McKenzie has an amazing talent for writing action packed YA thrillers that are simply impossible to put down. Split Second was no exception.

There was a high level of dystopian content which was done well, in that you weren’t bogged down with endless details at the very beginning. It was partly due to the fact it closely resembled the world we live in today but
Megan
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Though this is not my usual genre (political) it was still on my list of books to read for a while. At first I was skeptical of this book – but I was wrong to be. The action started from the very first page when Nat (one of the main characters) is running through a crowded market trying to locate a bomb due to detonate in 3 minutes.

The book follows two main characters – Charlie and Nat as they meet in unlikely circumstances and begin to work for a secret organisation together. With G
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Loved this one! Very tense, addictive thriller.
16SimpsonL
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely one of my new favourites by Sophie McKenzie. I loved how it was written from the characters (Nat and Charlie’s) perspectives it really gave you a detailed view on how the characters were feeling and their personal thoughts on the different situations. I found the storyline intriguing and thrilling with action unfolding on every page. There were many twists throughout the novel making you want to read on and an unexpected plot twist right at the end. Overall I would defian ...more
17strattonh084
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I like the book but I got bored at the end because I like more of sad and romantic books. It is a series but I didn't really find the first one that interesting so I wouldn't read the rest but if you are more interested in a book that has sad and has tension in it then this is the right thing for you I would recommend it to yr7 boy or girl.
16papendorfa
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The main reason for this being it successfully formed a sense of suspicion/unsureness of the plot, till it was completely twisted and all the characters I thought could be trusted, proved to be the opposite to how they had been presented. I would definetely recommend this book and other of her series to all who are 10+ and like the genres mystery and action.
15HillG
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very intriguing and was a fast paced book with lots of actions and cliffhangers. It was easy to read and kept me reading without knowing what to going to happen next. It left on a cliffhanger which made me intrigued to read the next book.
15PattarE
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite books because it is so captivating and exciting. I recommend this book because of the mystery within it.
15KulhaK
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and adventurous story, lots of cliffhangers.
15AldridgeKnottE
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because there was a lot of suspense and it was really interesting. I couldn't put the book down.
JJ 29
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riley B.
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Split Second by Sophie McKenzie was a really good book. At first I didn’t quite follow the story, but after I got to the third chapter, I understood that it was coming from two different points of view from two different people. I thought the book was great. It caught my attention from the beginning and kept my attention throughout the whole book.
The book started in the middle of the action. One of the main characters named Nat found something on his brother’s phone. Being curious, he followed
Dani C
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
This review was originally written for my blog, Pen to Paper.

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical of Split Second - I believed, even before I started it, that I wouldn't like it. I was simply reading it because it was my YA Book Club's choice for the month (that and I had a free copy for review). This skepticism came from having read one of Sophie's books before. This book was Girl, Missing, and although it was about 3 years ago that I read it, it remains with me, and not for e
15MuschampE
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book because it is action packed and describes the characters feelings throughout the book without giving too much away.
Annette
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
In a Split Second is billed as a thriller -- and it is -- if you can suspend some disbelief and just have fun with it. It is also supposed to be a "romantic thriller," and while there is a romance building, it's not a central theme.

Charlie's mother was killed in a terrorist bombing in London. A very poor, future London where the economy has been decimated and the public has lost all trust in the government. Charlie ends up living with her aunt and uncle who are very rich, and much be
Suzanne
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-slj
School Library Journal (01/01/2015):
Gr 9 Up--Nat and Charlie are present at an outdoor market on the afternoon a bomb goes off. Nat knows the bombing is coming and, after reading an incriminating text, hopes to stop his brother Lucas from involvement; Charlie knows nothing more than annoyance that her mother won't consent to her wish for a tattoo. Both are never the same after that fateful day in this near-future London when a racist, extremist group called the Iron Hand, which blames the
Jasmine
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
great book but i think it'd be even better as a movie. i'd love to see this turned into a series on the big screen!
Emma
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING can't wait for the second book!
Joanne Duncalfe
I very, very, very nearly gave this book 4 stars - the ending completely ruined that for me sadly!

One of my students did a presentation on McKenzie’s novel ‘Girl, Missing’ and I remembered loving that book as a teenager, so I thought I’d try out another one of McKenzie’s books, finding this one at the uni library.

It is a very easy read - as excepted in the genre - and I only ever reluctantly put the book down when I was too tired to continue...

There were two main reasons that ruine
Faith-Ella
To say I was disapppointed by this book would be an understatement. As a disclosure, I don't actually know what age range this book was aimed at, and at 19 I'm guessing I may be slightly out?
Regardless, I started reading this book and for the first few chapters I was really enjoying it. And then everything with the League of Iron started happening and to be frank, it got very ridiculous and unrealistic, and I almost instantly called the bad guy. Whether I've read too many books with the sa
Favour Egbune
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may be back in the swing of things now, since I read this book in record time.

It wasn't mind blowing, but I had a blast trying to figure out who the real bad guy was, even if it was obvious from the beginning. I don't ship the main couple, especially since Charlie is apparently drop-dead gorgeous. I feel she barely had a personality before joining the organization, so her character was definitely better for it. I did like Nathan more, since he had fear and I could relate to him mor
Grace
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolute-gems
When a terrorist bombing occurs in a London market, Charlie’s life is turned upside down. After months of trying to get by, she meets Nat, whose family has been torn apart by the same explosion. However as Charlie becomes closer with Nat, she begins to speculate if he knows more about the event than he’s said.

Okay, anyone who's a sucker for action and having to cancel your plans for the day just to complete a book, this is the one for you. It's a simple read and is easy to follow, wh
Sandra Shannon
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting young adult novel. Nat and Charlie find themselves being recruited by an underground group who are determined to get to the bottom of random bombings in and round London. Nat's brother was injured in the latest bombing and Charlie's mother was killed so they both have reasons to find the culprits.
Lydia Hephzibah
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF at p.275. I just got bored. It's marketed as an action thriller but the 16yo characters seemed more like 12-year-olds, and the writing feels too immature to be marketed above middle grade. Far too much cheesy and awkward romance - while trying to stop a bomb, one of the MCs is gushing over the beauty of a stranger, and it gets more nauseating from there.
Kadi P
That was insanely epic. Whatever criticisms I had have been wiped away but that amazing ending. It was just a thrilling read. The build up to the ending was painfully spectacular and the way the truth unravelled was downright clever. I’m so excited to read the second book and I hope it lives up to my high expectations.
June Jones
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
No final ending, you have to look for the next book, fairly good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• All the Right Angles (Moretti, #1)
  • In the Blood
  • Damaged
  • Waiting for the Storm (Angel Island, #1)
  • Into the Dangerous World
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • London Calling (Susanna and the Spy, #2)
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Courage in Patience
  • Saving Daisy
  • Callum (Noughts & Crosses, #1.6)
  • The 100 Society
  • The Sweetheart Hoax
  • Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis, #4)
  • A World Between Us
  • Marvelous (The Books of Marvella, #1)
  • Feral
Hey there! Welcome to my Goodreads page where you can keep up with all my stories - both the ones that are already published and the works in progress!!
I write mostly thrillers - though I have done some teen romance stories too.
I'm really excited right now because of...

Close My Eyes - which is my first psychological thriller for adult readers (pub May 2013, UK, July 2013, U

Split Second (2 books)
  • Every Second Counts
“This hole in the earth was no storage space. I was digging my own grave.” 3 likes
“It was funny how bomb and wars looked so thrilling in movies and computer games, when the reality was so heart-stoppingly terrifying.” 3 likes