Start by marking “Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping” as Want to Read:
Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping

Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping

(Scaredy Squirrel #7)

Scaredy Squirrel is not too comfortable with the idea of camping ? unless it's on his couch! There will be no mosquitoes, skunks or zippers to worry about when he watches a show about the joys of camping on his brand-new TV. But first Scaredy must find an electrical outlet, and that means going into the woods! Will the nutty worrywart's plans prepare him for the great outd ...more
Published April 1st 2013 by Kids Can Press (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping

Start your review of Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping
Elizabeth A
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, graphix, 2015
If you have little ones in your home and have not checked out the Scaredy Squirrel series, get thee to a library. We read these with my nephews when they were younger, and the books sparked much laughter and conversation about what scared this squirrel and how he dealt with his fear, with lots of re-enactment of the "play dead" option. I recently found one we had not read together, and while it is not as good as the earlier ones, it was still fun to read.
Abigail
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Scaredy Squirrel / Young Children With Some Reservations About Camping
The neurotic, list-making squirrel whose story began in Mélanie Watt's Scaredy Squirrel , and then continued in five subsequent titles, returns here for his seventh adventure. Absolutely unwilling to endure the rigors of camping, from skunks to quicksand, Scaredy Squirrel comes up with a plan that will allow him to enjoy the pleasures of this outdoor activity inside. But when he decides to watch camping shows on television instead of actually camping, he realizes that he will need to plug in ...more
Kristine Hansen
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such efforts Scaredy Squirrel will go through just to stay at home where it's safe! I love that he wants to camp with his TV and so goes into the wilderness to plug in the extension cord. Cute and funny. Great book for fans of silly squirrels.
Emily
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scaredy Squirrel's take on skunks: "If sprayed, overreact!" That is advice I can take to heart.
Brooke
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute book.
Wendy
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kindergarten through 2nd grade, first-time campers
Scaredy Squirrel tends to overthink things a little bit, but in the end he's pretty well justified.
In this book, Scaredy Squirrel appreciates the outdoors, but he's afraid of all the dangers it may hold, like the three bears. His solution is to watch the nature channel on TV, but - uh oh! - he has to plug in his TV through an extension cord, which he must guide through the "rugged wilderness!"

This would be great to share with one or two children, kindergarten or older. Kids can help point out ho
Suzanne
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
The Scaredy Squirrel stories are funny, but also point out some important truths. In this adventure, Scaredy needs to plug in an extension cord so he can watch a show about camping on TV, because actually going camping is too much bother. The way he over-prepares for everything applies to this trip, too. He plans his route, he thinks of all the dangers he may find, he packs important supplies... And things go wrong - of course! But Scaredy realizes that some things are worth the bother after all ...more
Barbara
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I've liked the other titles in the Scaredy Squirrel series, this one didn't make me laugh as much as the others. Scaredy Squirrel would like to enjoy the great outdoors and camping but only from a distance. But plugging in his television requires him to venture through the woods where he encounters a series of challenges. Although he learns his lesson, he returns to his tree with more ideas for camping but no desire to camp outside. The message that "some things are worth the trouble" (unp ...more
Amy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My kindergartners are "nutty" for Scaredy Squirrel. Only Pete the Cat can compare in their love for him. When this new book came out, I decided to surprise them and wrapped the cover of the book so they couldn't see it. I picked a student to unwrap the package and the crowd went wild! They were so excited to discover a new Scaredy Squirrel! I just love watching them react so lovingly to a book character. I was just as excited as they were to discover a new one.

While SS books sometimes are chall
Charlie
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Scaredy Squirrel is one of my favorite series of books. "Goes Camping" is my Favorite one. It is relly funny. Melanie Watt is the writer of all of the Scaredy Squirrel books. One of my favorite parts is when the beginning says "WARNING! Scaredy Squirrel insists you check your zippers before reading this book.".
Ty O'Brien
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** Spoilers ****

I find it funny when he is afraid of things that are nice!
Lorna
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Hysterical--might be my favorite Scaredy yet.
Lydia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Scaredy Squirrel loves camping!... in front of his TV. But when his new TV needs a better electrical outlet he's going to have to brave the outdoors to get it plugged in. So he prepares in typical Scaredy Squirrel style.

Well, that was unexpected! Of all the things he was preparing for, that was not the one I thought might happen! Another fun adventure with Scaredy Squirrel where he over-plans and over-reacts, but learns a good lesson in the end.

No content issues.

Jen
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This, like all Scaredy Squirrel books, is humorous in ways that kids can relate to. Also, the book has many text features (i.e. maps, charts, even tables) that help tell Scaredy Squirrel's story. A very original idea that will get kids comfortable with features that they'll need to use with content texts in their future (i.e. Science, Social Studies, and Math informational texts).
Michael
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This variation on the Scaredy Squirrel books managed to keep things different despite the familiar theme from the first one. The panic map was pretty funny, as well as the extension cord. This was only our second Scaredy Squirrel, though, and I'm not sure how many of these you could read without it feeling repetitive.
Spencer Jones
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was really good and unique! I love the illustrations and how the author makes it look like a map and an actual survival guide to going camping. I think this book is great for students who may not have an opportunity to go outside and experience nature or who may even be frightened by it. Animal fantasy and is in the 2nd-4th grade range
Hannah  Dahl
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Lower Primary
Animal Fiction

This book was cute! I think young students would enjoy this book, and it's main character Squirrel. I though the book was charming and entertaining. It was an easy read and I really enjoyed the illustrations throughout. The pictures were so well done, and they really did add to the storyline of the book. I think that this would be such a fun book to have in class.
Pam
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Scaredy Squirrel prefers to watch camping on TV rather than get that close to the wilderness. He sets off to cross the campground and plug in his extension cord. He discovers that he really does like camping and enjoys the night outdoors.
Lots of humor for younger readers with a message to try new things.
Nicole
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoyed this one more that the original scaredy squirrel. His adventures in preparing to camp reminds me a lot of the moms we take camping with our boy scout troop who just can't quite get into it. This is clever and fun.
Maggie
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-lit
Genre: contemporary realistic
Reading level: k-1
This was a really fun book to help students face their fears. I love how the squirrel has to train for his adventure. It was a cute fun read that I can see using as an easy reader.
Jeshua
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Grade: 2nd-6th
Scaredy squirrel goes camping, is more a picture book then anything. it is fun to see what all is on the page, and to see what scaredy squirrels interpratations actualy are.
Carrie Simas
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Scaredy is a great character whose fears help children understand that it is okay to have fears and even to make plans to feel safe in the face of them—but that often life presents opportunities to show us that fears are often unfounded.
AMY
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
Very humorous. A MUST buy. I cannot keep this series on the shelf. It is VERY popular. Recommended for ES. Grades K-3
H
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
One nit-pick: his schedule says "0530 hours", but then he goes out "the next afternoon".
Erin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute for one-on-one readings, but a bit much for a big storytime.
Sarah Westgate
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fantasy
This book would be great to use with students in Kindergarten and up. A unique feature of this book is there are maps, check lists and diagrams all about camping.
Kayla
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My son received this book from his aunt for his fourth birthday and he loves it. It’s really cute and clever.
Hααlεч ♥ Fιѕнεя
Who knew you'd have to prepare against penguins when going camping?!?!

HAHA
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one we will try again when the little one is a stronger reader. THere was just too much going on on the pages for her, and she didn't want me to read it to her.
Viviane Elbee
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun book in the Scaredy Squirrel series - this one shows Squirrel's first camping trip. The kids enjoyed it. We're looking forward to reading more of Melanie Watt's books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• How to Catch a Unicorn
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • High Five
  • Little Pea
  • Dragons Love Tacos 2: The Sequel
  • The Serious Goose
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • Rude Cakes
  • Boy + Bot
  • I am Jackie Robinson
  • Giraffe Problems
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also illu ...more

Scaredy Squirrel (8 books)
  • Scaredy Squirrel