Start by marking “Queenie” as Want to Read:
Queenie

Queenie

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  420 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
When Queenie elopes with a recently widowed neighbour her family are uniformly shocked, and a window on adult life and relationships is opened for her step-sister. A summertime stay with the newlyweds in Toronto yields further insight into the lives of couples, but also causes confusion.

Part of the Storycuts series, this short story was previously published in the collecti
Unknown Binding, 96 pages
Published March 18th 1999 by Profile Books(GB)

To ask other readers questions about Queenie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queenie

T P Kennedy
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A superb little story. Munro is an author whose prose is effortless. Her writing needs to be read slowly and savoured. On the surface, this is an account of one woman writing of her step sister but there's a lot more going on than that. She sounds notes of escape, attachment and freedom that echo through the narrative. This small volume is a fantastic way to approach Munro. Her longer collections can be overwhelming.
Shafika A. Ghani
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Again, vivid and bullet-accurate feelings about relationships, between best friends and between lovers. Munro hypnotizes with language, putting relationships understandable and bare, out in the open for our scrutiny.

The story entitled Queenie is about the person herself but more so on how she affects the narrator. I wish that Munro had done more things to allow us to get into Queenie's head. Because we only see her from the vantage point of the narrator, I cannot see the motivations for whateve
Saffron Dennis
Jul 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really? The greatest short story writer ever. I'm missing something obviously.

This was a completely boring story of a young girl who shacks up with her pervy music teacher, runs off with him, finds out he is horrible then runs out on him. Her sister never hears from her again.

I felt nothing for the characters, they were all one dimensional, uninteresting or just plain unlikeable. I couldn't care about any of them. What the middle section in the sandwich bar gave to the story I have no idea.

I gu
Clara Biesel
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little heart of a story was just beautiful, so tenderly written, so clear and facile around the weirdness of feelings especially when they hover around family and hurt. I'm looking forward to reading more Munro.
Shaimaa Ali
A nice short read but not Munro's best ..
B.A. Spicer
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amongst the books I received at Christmas was a tiny sixty-page short story entitled ‘Queenie’, by an author I’d never heard of: Alice Munro, now eighty-three years old and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature. As a writer of short stories myself, I was curious to find out how this author could have earned the most prestigious of prizes for such an underrated art form.

I was excited. Expecting miracles. I was not to be disappointed.

It’s a slow burn, which is what I like. Introductions are suc
Bev Spicer
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was excited. Expecting miracles. I was not to be disappointed.

It’s a slow burn, which is what I like. Introductions are suc
12thbookworm
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sisters
I've only read a couple of Alice Munro's short story collections over the years, but so far, "Queenie" is my favorite little gem. It runs about 62 pages and vividly depicts the relationship between two very different step-sisters (Queenie and Chrissy).

As the narrator speaking from her “golden years,” Chrissy walks us through different periods of her life where we become invested in both her admiration and unrequited attachment to her charismatic yet very elusive older sister.

Chrissy’s father m
Aditya Mallya
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"My father and Bet. Mr. and Mrs. Vorguilla. Queenie and Mr. Vorguilla. Even Queenie and Andrew. These were couples and each of them, however disjointed, had now or in memory a private burrow with its own heat and disturbance, from which I was cut off. And I had to be, I wished to be, cut off, for there was nothing I could see in their lives to instruct me or encourage me."
Andy Mckinney
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-fiction
This afternoon, in the peace and quiet of Ballymena Central Library I read Queenie in one sitting. This was the first time I had read Alice Munro and boy does she pack a punch! She crams an entire lifetime into 62 pages. Told first person by Chrissy, the story focuses on her relationship with her sister Queenie. This is a story about coming-of-age and loss and Munro unfolds the plot deftly and gradually like someone unwrapping an expensive Christmas present. I loved this because like Steinbeck s ...more
Ana
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Um livro de pouco mais de meia centena de páginas em formato A5. Apesar de ter francamente elogiado a autora no primeiro livro que li da própria há algum tempo atrás, admito que este exemplar em questão foi consumido durante uma breve pausa turística e com intuitos sedativos. O estilo é o mesmo e empregue num pequeno conto. Duas raparigas que se tornam irmãs por segundos casamentos e que posteriormente se separam também por questões de relacionamentos de uma delas. Uma breve visita da irmã mais ...more
Margherita13
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this short story in my favourite bookshop in Florence, Paperback Exchange. I could browse the shelves literally for hours, and I NEVER leave the shop without a purchase. This time it was Alice Munro's turn. I had never read anything by this Nobel prize winner, so I was really curious. My expectations were met. Munro's style is quite peculiar: short sentences, lots of dramatic repetitions and a sense she gives you of really being into the story. The narrator, Chrissy, seemed to me a well ...more
Salonika
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
its interesting, the book is so small and hardly has any pages and so my first thoughts were what could the author possibly write in such few pages, but as i started to read it, i was surprised. i mean it was as detailed a book as the next fat book you'd pick to read and yet it was so amazingly written. that's when i first realised that you don't need to go on in pages about every tiny little description to build up on a plot or the storyline or to even put out a scene you can describe just the ...more
Carlton
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A short story by Alice Munro that is apparently otherwise uncollected and which was reissued by Waterstones (in the UK) following Munro's deserved Nobel prize.
The story, using the technique of telling the story of an younger self by an older self, is wonderful, but sad. Worth finding if you enjoy Munro or short stories.
Sara Kettleborough
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I felt like the characters lacked depth, particularly the title character Queenie. It may have been that this was supposed to form part of the interpretation of this protagonist that she was in fact a mystery to most and fairly fleeting / fancy free. But I wasn't sure.. See my blog for more thoughts on this short story: https://sarakettleborough.wordpress.c...
Justine Knight
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm glad I bought Munro's collection of gory stories after this a it is a great introduction to her amazing style. She can is table grab the reader and being only small every word carries weight. A talented writer.
Linda Tomase
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Munro's stories are small wonders depicting the ordinary and everyday life. "Queenie" is a good one, but not among the very best, in my humble opinion. It's such a comfort knowing that there are Munro's stories to turn to, in case I get lost along the way..
Rici
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Diese kleine Kurzgeschichte hat mir viel mehr gefallen als den Roman, den ich vor langer Zeit von ihr gelesen hatte. In Englisch kommt ihre Sprache auch besser rüber. Außerdem lösen die Charaktere bei mir zumindest auch Gefühle aus.
Dr. Ansh
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Not as much impressive as short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri, but since this was my first short story by Munro, I shall reserve my comments till I finish her 'Selected Short Stories'.
Adriana Popovich
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Nothing special, to be honest.
Sohini Dey
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Alice Munro, and I find her style refreshing and endearing. It's a simple story told beautifully simply. Can't wait to read more of her works.
Deepak Singh Rawat
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
The story doesn't say much. It would have been great if Alice Munro had left us with any thought-provoking end.
Nidhi Srivastava
Got some goosebumps in third last page.
Shannie Joy
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Minto crafts poignant characters. The story is as much about Chrissy as it is about Queenie. Visual and full.
Anna
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't particularly enjoy this, there wasn't really the interest that I expected with Nobel Prize winning author. I'll try her other stories though.
Jenn
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-books
A short story, but perfect in it's own way.
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great example of Alice Munroe, but it is a shame to have just one story, n it more.
Heath Winther
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a good story to read on the go when you have a lot of free time for reflection
Thorunn
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Ekta Alice Munro saga. Um sérstök sambönd hjóna eyðilegginguna sem fólk getur valdið með því sem það gerir eða gerir ekki. Samt skrítið að gefa út þessa sögu sérstaklega.
Claire Bonello
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can see why this is a Nobel Prize winner.
  • Hobson's Choice
  • Dead Man Talking
  • You Could Do Something Amazing with Your Life [You Are Raoul Moat]
  • Killing the Dead
  • Laments for the Living, Collected Stories
  • Elephant And Other Stories
  • Notes From A Small Room
  • Valentine Joe (Rose #1)
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Short Stories
  • Stones
  • Daddy Lenin and Other Stories
  • Ministry of Moral Panic
  • Το αμάρτημα της μητρός μου
  • The Tattoo Murder Case
  • Captain Marvel #1 (Captain Marvel Vol. 7, #1)
  • Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish
  • Varieties of Exile
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter
More about Alice Munro...

“I looked at the rusty-bottomed bread tin swiped too often by the dishcloth, and the pots sitting on the stove, washed but not put away, and the motto supplied by Fairholme Dairy: The Lord is the Heart of Our House. All these things stupidly waiting for the day to begin and not knowing that it had been hollowed out by catastrophe.” 1 likes
“I would have seen flaws in this, later in my life. I would have felt the impatience, even suspicion, a woman can feel towards a man who lacks a motive. Who has only friendship to offer and offers that so easily and bountifully that even if it is rejected he can move along as buoyantly as ever. Here was no solitary fellow hoping to hook up with a girl. Even I could see that, inexperienced as I was. Just a person who took comfort in the moment and in a sort of reasonable façade of life.” 1 likes