Start by marking “Downpour” as Want to Read:
Downpour

Downpour

Downpour is the enchanting story of a rainy day turned magical.

A rainy day is usually the time to clomp around in rubber boots and discover worms and puddles and other such rainy day things. But this is no ordinary rainy day. Embark on a journey of discovery as the rain begins to wash away the color from the bright red poppies in a field. Follow the color red on its journe
Published June 4th 2013 by Sky Pony (first published May 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Downpour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downpour

Start your review of Downpour
Angie
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
So this is a beautiful book all done in reds and grays. The illustrations are well done, but I have to admit the story was a little weird. Maybe I just didn't get it. It is all about how the rain washes the red off the poppies and other things turn red. Huh?
April Thompson
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The hedgehog and illustrations are adorable. The story is just ok to me.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely stunning illustrations done in black and red, with the appearances of mixed media, but the poetry of the story left something to be desired.
Brenda Kahn
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Illustrations are pretty but I just didn't get/ wasn't enchanted by the story. Sort of random and made no sense to me.
Stunning illustrations... strange story.
Carol
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Gorgeous illustrations, but the book itself I didn't get.
AnnieM
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very artistic book. Lyrical without being overly rhythmic. Simple yet magical illustrations take a simple rain and makes it into another world.
Romelle
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
A moving story about how rain can brighten a day. When the downpour washes away the red from the poppies, author Emily Martin takes us on a journey of awareness- noticing life on a rainy day. Mara Shaughnessy did a wonderful job of interpreting the poem.

Not a typical picture book for children. The art is done in black and grays, with splashes of red. The illustrations are whimsical. I didn't quite get the significance of the ending other than the obvious. Not sure if children would enjoy this. N
Sandy Brehl
This is a powerful little bookin both language and visual images. it could be used simply with very young to explore the concept of "red", but form the first images of poppies bleeding their redness into the ground in a downpour I couldn't shake the connection to the poppies of Flanders Field. Must be my age and awareness of the history of WWII.
April
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
The illustrations are beautiful, but the story didn't really capture me in the same way.
leah ☽
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the subtle hint of death.
Peacegal
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Gorgeous illustrations splashed with the color red, but not much of a story here. Kids might enjoy finding all of the examples of red in their environment.
Barbara
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Explore the color red in the beautiful book Downpour by Emily Martin and Mara Shaughnessy. Watch the color drip off the poppies and onto the grass, the road the fence and the animals all around. Take time to talk about what the little hedgehog is doing as it leads the reader through the pages of this imaginative book. For ages 3 - 8.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 3-5
Shelves: picture-books
This is no ordinary rainy day for Hedgehog. In its poetic style Downpour allows the reader to follow the color red through a journey. Hedgehog’s journey will make the reader see ordinary things in a new light from beaks of birds to the beating heart of bee to the big wheel at a fair. Downpour is great to read-aloud and for one on one reading. This story is highly recommended!

Reviewed by Emily MacNiff, Youth Services Librarian, Vernon Area Public Library
Emily
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-children
Well, it's lovely to look at. The illustrations are charming and evocative. The text is more a free form poem than a story, with the ultimate theme probably going a bit over the heads of actual children. But they will likely love the cute little hedgehog.
Meg McGregor
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I liked this story in a way. It is not your typical rain story. It shows how the red from a field trickles down and gets into many other things.

An interesting idea that requires more than one read.
Julie
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A beautiful, artistic and imaginative Picture Book. In a world that looks like ours, the world acts quite differently from what we expect. Just go with it, and you'll be carried away in this enchanting story.
From Sky Pony Press, 2013
Brian Spravka
rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2019
⋟Kimari⋞
Mar 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ottolenghi SIMPLE
  • The Snow Bear (Wintry Tales)
  • Wolf Story
  • Maria Morevna and Koschei the Wizard
  • Русь сказочная. Русские волшебные сказки
  • Ложится мгла на старые ступени. Роман-идиллия
  • Precious and the Monkeys (Precious Ramotswe's Very First Cases, #1)
  • Life on Earth
  • The Book of Cthulhu (The Book of Cthulhu, #1)
  • Dinka
  • Кортик
  • Вдохни. Чувствуешь?
  • Falling in Love with Hominids
  • The Witch's Tower (Twisted Ever After, #1)
  • The Bronze Bird
  • Desolation Point
  • The Gravity of Us
  • A Brief History of Seven Killings
Emily Martin was born and raised in Geneva, Switzerland. She received her BA and MFA from Columbia University. Splitting her time between writing, translating, and teaching, she lives outside of Austin, TX, with her husband, her daughter, and their numerous pets.