Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 1

(Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics #2.1)

Azula Joins Team Avatar?!

For years, fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra have burned with one question—what happened to Fire Lord Zuko's mother? Finding a clue at last, Zuko enlists the aid of Team Avatar—and the most unlikely ally of all—to help uncover the biggest secret of his life.

Written by Eisner winner and National Book Award nominee Gene Luen
Published March 20th 2013 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.
Hannah Sorenson Well, the book series isn't in the TV series, so it's all new scenes for us! This series is set after the TV series. I can understand your skepticism.…moreWell, the book series isn't in the TV series, so it's all new scenes for us! This series is set after the TV series. I can understand your skepticism. But as a fan of the TV series, I thought that this book gave an additional insight into Zuko's story. This whole series is about Zuko's mother, so if you want to know more, go ahead and read it! Also, I thought that the characters were still themselves. (I'm talking about Sokka, of course!)(less)
J Z You don't need to buy it unless you really want to. There are online copies everywhere, and I myself suggest readallcomics.com if you don't feel like …moreYou don't need to buy it unless you really want to. There are online copies everywhere, and I myself suggest readallcomics.com if you don't feel like purchasing it. There, you can find all copies of all the A: TLA comics! It's perfectly free, although there will be an ad every once in a while since it is. If you'd like to own it, I respect that 'cause I'm a big avatar fan too, but yeah! I totally suggest reading online, since they have all the copies so you won't be left on a big cliffhanger. :)(less)

Start your review of Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)
sunny
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: literally everyone
Recommended to sunny by: my tears
Okay, so first of all, GO WATCH THE SHOW IF YOU HAVEN'T BECAUSE YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON LIFE. It's literally the best thing out there.

This graphic novel takes place after Aang defeats asshole Ozai and Zuko becomes Fire Lord. Basically the end of the show. During the show, Zuko visists Ozai and asks him about his mother (Ursa), who was always a mystery throughout the entire show. These three part books are about team boomeraang + Azula and - Toph (she's not in the books 😭) discovering why Ozai bani
Hannah
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
THAT CLIFFHANGER???? EXCUSE ME????????
Fatin
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Update: So, I've just finished it, and now I'm angry because I have to wait for the next one. Some pleasant, and not so pleasant surprises.
Confirmed: Ozai is a dick
It was nice to see the group acting like a bunch of kids again. The flashbacks in The Legend of Korra just depressed me, in a good way, but depressed me nonetheless.
The secrets revealed only add to the list of questions I have. The revelation was a bit unnerving, and I'm hoping there is a better explanation because it undermines my
Sen
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
2.8

I'M NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. Perhaps it's because I've expected too much prior to reading. Or perhaps the whole (view spoiler) thing is...stupid. There, I said it. One thing is for certain though: I didn't fangirl as much as I expected to. Is it that "unfangirl" worthy? No... all in all, it was okay. But my inner ATLA fangirl made me feel obliged to rate it 3 stars.

Ahem, is it me or do Sokka and Katara (even Aang) seem out of character? Sokka was s
Books with Brittany
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excuse me, what!?
Neeks
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS! The dialogue sounds exactly as it does in the show and the artwork is great too!
I need the next one immediately though because it ended on a cliffhanger :(
Megan
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
IS THIS REAL LIFE?! ARE WE REALLY GOING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ZUKO'S MOM??!!?? ...more
Alexandra Elend Wolf
"Family is in essence a small nation, and the nation a large family. Do you understand? In treating his own family with dignity, a ruler learns to govern his nation with dignity."

I missed these characters so much, their humor and dynamic always warms my heart and makes me have a great time.

The Search is the reason I discovered that these Avatar comics even existed, so, you may realize that it makes immensely happy to get to read them.

Azula has been a part of this issue makes everything m
Tina
Not the best comic I have read, but it was not bad. It remind me of when I was younger and watch the TV show. My daughter really wants to read it.
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
This series is so freaking weird.

I mean, bringing back Azula is one thing, but come on, that ending? I predicted it a mile away, but still. That's just... dumb. And the character moments were pretty good with Sokka and Katara, but for the most part they're not all there. Zuko's really cool, as always, but there's really something missing in these comics. The TV show is just always going to be better. 2/5 stars.
Yesenia
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm not really sure what I expected going into this, but I was still disappointed to say the least.

The characters seem like caricatures of their former selves. E.G. Sokka is overly funny, Katara is overly serious, etc. The backstory for Ursa was interesting, as well as the relationship dynamic with Ozai, but the bombshell, cliffhanger ending COMPLETELY invalidates one of the best character arcs/developments of any show I've ever seen, let alone an animated one.

I advise A:TLA fans to proceed with
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Aang was a massive hit for Nickelodeon TV in the mid-noughties, and was followed by a graphic novel The Promise detailing life after the three season TV show, and the followed by a spin-off series, The Legend of Korra. There is also a live action film, but it’s directed by M Night Shyamalan and is pretty fucking terrible – the actors don’t even pronounce the character names correctly.

description

I’ve read the first part of The Search, watched the entire Legend of Aan
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
OMG SCANDALOUS!
Aleksandra
Some of the lines were a bit cringy, but the ending tho.
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
No, it's cool, it's cool.

Not like I need my heart or anything.
I am either being overly emotional today, OR, this was just that good??
This IS Avatar, so I'm going to go with the second option.

The first pages were amazing. Ursa and Ikem? My little heart couldn't handle them!
The rest of the pages were just as amazing.
I am just blabbing now.
To put it simply - read this. Read this NOW.
It's quick. It's funny. It has amazing art. It has an amazing storyline. It's phenomenal.

__________________________
THAT CLIFFHANGER. OHMYGOD
ONTO THE NEXT ONE
Sophia
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Search for the truth about Zuko's mother is on! Zuko wants to find out what has happened to his mother and will do anything to get the truth. He enlists the help of his sister, who has been been locked up in an institute of some sort but can she be trusted? She's Azula so the answer is usually no! I really enjoyed the flashbacks into Ursa's life and the big mystery that revolves around her! Plus it is so interesting to see how each of the characters react to the new addition to their group. ...more
(inactive)
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I AM YELLING
Anton
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love the art as always, and the characters (that's a given)! So excited to be starting the next Avatar comic book series after reading The Promise! I am glad I found out that there is an order to read the graphic novel series in, otherwise I would have not understood some of the references this volume made to the events in The Promise trilogy.

Was interesting to have Azula back in action, and to see the new way in which her mind has been twisted. I feel like this series is going to make her a mu
Jessamyn Leigh
Daang these really don't hold back. ...more
SJ
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARE. YOU. FREAKING. KIDDING. ME?! We have waited SO long to find out what happened to Zuko's mother, and this book just feels like someone is trolling the ATLA fandom, merrily laughing in the shadows at our continued consternation as more questions are raised than are answered and a possible plot twist is raised that, if it turns out to be true, will seriously cause me to try to think up arguments to reject the canonical legitimacy of these comic books. And if it's NOT true, well then, that will ...more
Megan
This was so awesome! I loved seeing the old gang back together (except Toph, but she is off being her badass metalbender self). As I was reading it, I could hear their voices in my head and my heart started to ache for the TV show that I grew up with.

AND THE ENDING!!!!!!!! Why can't Part 2 come out...like...NOW?!?!?! Talk about a cliffhanger! It has left me reeling and squealing and acting like a total fangirl.

Now, it's time for me to go on an Avatar bender. Excuse me while I completely immerse
Sonja ✧・゚。★・゚☾
4.5/5 stars

The Search: Part One is amazing! My brother and I flew through it! This ATLA graphic novel felt even more like the TV show than The Promise did.

The Search has:
• fast pacing
• Azula
• Iroh ♥
• Zuko as a small boy. He is just too adorable!
• background info on Ursa(!), one of the most mysterious characters in ATLA
• and a SHOCKING PLOT TWIST

I'm off to the next ATLA adventure. . . . Yip yip!

"Family is in essence a small nation, and the nation a large family... In treating his own famil
Raha Shirley
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Avatar fans , Zuko lovers
Shelves: graphic-novels
Siriusly It's the best.

We always wanted to know.
We always asked for answer.
And this... This is the answer!

It starts When firelord Zuko with his close friends and his mad sister, Azula starts a journey to the past to find his lost mother! But basicly its full of flashbacks of royal family of the fire nation's life which means Search is full of Zuko's past, don't miss this for anything!
Ashley
Ahhhhhhh! This was one was so much fun. It got all the characters voices just right. And Zuko's mom flashbacks! And what!!!!!?!? ...more
Aleksandra
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

Oh damn, I didn't see it coming!!! It explains so much!
Great volume!
Viola
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THAT ENDING?!?!?!
tammy
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, rated-5-star
"family is in essence a small nation, and the nation at large family."

AZULA SERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! azula is so misunderstood, i wish gaang would stop treating her like she could expose at any second, but then again she did try to kill them and such. katara and sokka's relationship is so such they're best siblings ever actually. i also found the backstory with ursa interesting, everything about part 1 is hitting. also sokka is still so funny and it's so effortless. bless zuko, i love learning mor
dale
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
avatar fans are the best people- you can't change my mind.

i'm legit simping for sokka tho :,)
Swankivy
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well imagine my delight when I found out we were FINALLY going to explore the abandoned plot line of Zuko's missing mother!

While I'm a little disappointed that the overused "peasant was whisked away to marry a prince" trope got used here, it at least did so in style, and one relationship I hadn't thought about before came up here: Zuko and Sokka talked about having sisters. It was really touching to see how Sokka's antagonistic relationship with Katara is really an expression of love that they e
Ghost in the Shell (2017) Full Movie Download Bluray HD 720p 1 2 Mar 27, 2017 09:24AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search by Gene Luen Yang 2 11 Aug 10, 2015 09:07AM
How excited are you! 6 41 Dec 12, 2013 01:26PM
Comic/graphic novel like this, Recommend please!! 2 14 Sep 17, 2013 08:03AM

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Imbalance, Part 3 (Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 2 (Imbalance, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 1 (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part One (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #1)
  • Katara and the Pirate's Silver (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #0.5)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Two (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Three (Ruins of the Empire, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • The Lost Scrolls: Water
  • The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)
See top shelves…
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics (6 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)
  • Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)