Start by marking “Psychopomp Volume One: Cracked Plate” as Want to Read:
Psychopomp Volume One: Cracked Plate

Read Excerpt

Psychopomp Volume One: Cracked Plate

Psychopomp Volume 1: Cracked Plate is the story of Meena, who suffers a mental fracture on Portland's light rail that alters her life in an instant. Confused and afraid that her unexpected unraveling will result in universal rejection, Meena confronts a man in a coffee shop and asks if he'll be her stalker. Meanwhile, her parents Esther and Frank fly to Portland from Cleve ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by One Eye Two Crows Press

To ask other readers questions about Psychopomp Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychopomp Volume One

Mark
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
At first i was worried this was going to be a novel of artful neuroses, but it turns out to have more reach. some history, some family, some america, and a great deal of portland. i hope volume 2 manages more of same.
Valeria Beccari
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-read, cartaceo
Okay. I've read this book because I had the chance to win it in the Goodreads Giveaway Section. I was really excited about it since I had never won anything on this website and since being in Italy kind of reminded me that 'Nobody will want to send me things since the shipping costs a lot :D'. So, for this, a huge thanks to the author both for the courtesy and for the signature :)

So. Unfortunately, though, I imagined the book to be the opposite of what I read. While reading 'Psychopomp' I took l
Amber
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lit. fiction is not my genre, but I was very impressed with the quality of writing in this story. There's a real sense of place and culture, and the characters are so well developed.

Since the story does not resolve by the end of the book, it's more like part one than book one, I think it would work better to have both all as one novel. Esp. because of they way it moves from one character perspective on to another rather than switching back and forth between them. But it definitely left me wanti
Haikukat
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is more awesome than the glitter twinkle sound that unicorns make! Seriously, this book is amazing. The author is one of the best writers I have ever encountered and I am in love with her word-weaving abilities. I can't wait for part 2!
Jessica
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was incredibly delightful. Amanda Sledz is something magical. She is so damn funny, too. Total gem, I can't wait for volume two.
Discord Doublethink
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
recommended reading
Sienna Stjohn
Read it! Believe it! Like Nick Cave on better drugs!
Hotske
Dec 22, 2013
Mildreddavis
May 13, 2013
Amanda Sledz
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by-me
Psikid
Sally
Michael Healy
Ask Amanda Sledz: Ask me anything! 13 12 Mar 02, 2013 02:22AM
Amanda Sledz considered writing this in third person, before electing to avoid any pronouns that could further confuse identity.

This is what I do: Observe. Record. Float. Report back to Avalon. Apologize. Lie. Count. Caffeinate. Observe. Observe. Record. Purr.

My first book, PSYCHOPOMP VOLUME ONE: CRACKED PLATE, is available in Portland at In Other Words, Powell's City of Books, Powell's on Hawtho
“Insomniacs should not be forced to exist in a realm with reflective glass. From the first look I’m boxed in a prism, rainbows charming the other dark-circled self into sharing my prison. One eye turns on the other, each accusing the other of being responsible for an appearance oddly elfin, before exiting head and bouncing like lottery balls through the mirror walls and then drifting up and out the open and unguarded Well of the Wyrd. There, everyone with mirrors and mushrooms is waiting for me, faded and dissolved into giggles.” 5 likes
“Hurricane Katrina arrived without a confirmed weather category, or a name that adequately addressed anger summoned from a thousand leagues down. When the levees broke in New Orleans images escaped television screens to tattoo every skin with the shameful reality that America’s towers fell twice. There was no phoenix. Only mosquitoes escaped the ashes, promising to puncture any still unbloodied with the needle kiss of plague.
Then, a great swarm of dragonflies, sent by some other to even the odds. They feasted on the thin-limbed vampires, devoured body and virus, and then hovered around the floating bloated bodies of forgotten grandmothers, armored escorts of the dead. Their wings hummed swamp sonnets while their mouths swallowed maggots, thwarting attempts to hurry death beyond spring sunsets and autumn graves. They kept up their holy procession until New Orleans rebirthed jazz and cut the bodies loose and let saints march in all over again.
As I steer my bike through one puddle after the other, making the street music urban rainforest dwellers know, I ask the splash to summon the dragonfly. Call her from the swamp into my throat to name the lump that will never loose me. Be my escort, gobble the flies ever entering me before their children become my whole.”
3 likes