Start by marking “Resurrection Year: Turning Broken Dreams Into New Beginnings” as Want to Read:
Resurrection Year: Turning Broken Dreams Into New Beginnings

Resurrection Year: Turning Broken Dreams Into New Beginnings

Perhaps a greater tragedy than a broken dream is a life forever defined by it.” – Sheridan Voysey

Your dream might be over, but your life isn’t. Embrace your broken dream as a chance for a new beginning and see how a “Resurrection Year” can restore your soul.

Voysey chronicles their return to life. From the streets of Rome to the Basilicas of Paris, from the Alps of Switzer
Published June 4th 2013 by Thomas Nelson (first published May 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection Year

Start your review of Resurrection Year: Turning Broken Dreams Into New Beginnings
Omega Writers
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
From our CALEB reviewers:

Four and a half stars.

In his book Resurrection Year author Sheridan Voysey shares an intimate glimpse into his private life with his wife Merryn. The reader quickly understands more fully and has compassion for those who have suffered the pain, heartache and disappointment of having tried but failed to conceive as a result of IVF treatment.

Sheridan shares their most intimate thoughts, heartbreak and the effects that this has on their faith in God and their relationship w
Anne Hamilton
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Most memoirs narrated by Christians are true life tales of overcoming adversity, triumphing in the face of disastrous circumstances, encountering a miracle when faith finally has its day.

If you’re looking for the fairytale HEA, this is not the biography to read. It’s a chronicle of a decade of heartache as Sheridan and his wife finally exhaust all their options and face the fact they will never have a child of their own. It’s a record of that sickness that comes with hope too long deferred.

As a
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm grateful for the theme of this book-saying good-bye to unfulfilled dreams--letting go of the dream itself. It's a real and uncomfortable response that hasn't been discussed much in the modern Christian life. The writing was a bit disjointed but worth the read for this quote: "Perhaps a greater tragedy than a broken dream is a life forever defined by it."
Clare Chate
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sheridan Voysey was a successful radio broadcaster with a loyal following across Australia, when in 2011, at the peak of his career, he suddenly quit and disappeared overseas.

In Resurrection Year, Voysey reveals that he and his wife Merryn had concluded a devastating ten-year battle with infertility. Their dream of bearing a child dashed, the pair had left all they know pursue his wife's "consolation prize"- an international working adventure.

This compelling book follows the couple's journey fr
Andrew Pitchford
Shelves: faith
I made a mistake. I picked up Resurrection Year at 11pm one winter’s evening to read the opening chapter so I could decide whether I would enjoy reading this book with such an enticing title. At 3am I really had to put it down knowing I had work the next morning. The story of Sheridan and Merryn Voysey’s journey towards a Resurrection Year is deeply moving, personal and full of grating anguish. While I had a hint of knowing what was in store, it can’t prepare you for the way in which Sheridan ro ...more
Nola
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Resurrection Year tells the story of Sheridan and Merryn Voysey’s 10-year journey through the wilderness of infertility. We follow them through the high and lows of expectations, hope, prayer, repeated IVF treatments, adoption applications, and disappointments as their quest to have a child ends in heartache. However, while there are certainly many poignant moments in the book, it is not a depressing read. Instead, Voysey recounts their journey with great warmth, honesty, and humour. He has a ve ...more
Louise Edwards
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I read it in one evening; I just couldn't put it down. Sheridan and his wife Merryn went through a ten year quest to have children and it didn't happen. This isn't about the miracle baby and the happy ending. It's about what happens when you don't get your happy ending. Really amazing book to read if you are struggling with infertility but the lessons could be transferred to other situations too where dreams haven't come true.
C.r.
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A frank and poignant autobiography of his and his wife's struggle with infertility. Beautifully written, mesmerising story of how there can be life after broken dreams. A wealth of material will be found in this book - I quoted from it extensively in my sermon last week. A real treasure from a fantastic author.
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Resurrection Year is a beautiful memoir of loss and hope. Sheridan Voysey shares the intimate and heartbreaking journey of a decade of dashed hopes as he and his wife navigate the waters of infertility and how they found a new beginning in life and faith. With an honest and poetic voice, Sheridan documents this journey with a skillful hand, a touch of humor and much wisdom learned through trials.
As Sheridan so eloquently says, “Perhaps a greater tragedy than a broken dream is a life forever def
David Bartlett
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read - hard to put down - very honest and not filled with easy answers and cliches - a refreshing change !! I loved this book and the revealed journey of Sheridan and Merryn - you will too. If you have ever been disappointed with life events and wondered what it's all about, then I encourage you to read "Resurrection Year"
Mike
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have just had the pleasure of reading a story by Sheridan Voysey, entitled "Resurrection Year{". This story is filled with ups and downs and it also includes a journey from where both Sheridan and Merryn, his wife think they have their lives planned out. This is true of most people yet how much do we know what we should be doing in life.
"Resurrection Year" is a true story of just that type of journey with all the pitfalls and uplifting experiences and Sheridan and Merryn encounter. In the ca
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-list
Sheridan Voysey bares his life and shares an intimacy with readers that kept me turning the pages. It's billed as part memoir and part love story, and that's good marketing language (selling books is a good thing for an author!). What this book felt like to me, though, was a heart-to-heart conversation with an old friend.

I've never even heard of Sheridan Voysey before, so how can I feel like I should pray for him, thankful for the chance to have met him through his story? (Yes, I'm reading and l
S.C. Skillman
This is the kind of book that haunts you after you've read it. Though it centres on a story of infertility its essential nature is a book about broken dreams, and how we start again after those dreams have died - and for Christians, seeking to understand why some dreams are destined not to be fulfilled, and how we understand the purposes of God through this. At one point I found myself wondering why this book had not been written by Merryn, rather than Sheridan; as hers seemed to be the highest ...more
Juanita
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very interesting. It spoke to me concerning my own relationship with God. I found myself relating to both Sheridan and Merryn (Sheridan's wife). I know what the wilderness is, I have been there myself...more than once.

Sheridan's experiences helped me to see a different side of God, which I many not have clearly considered before as much as now. The book is set up in a way where the time keeps changing...it is past...it is past going forward...it is back in the past again.
Jo
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I began to read Resurrection Year by Sheridan Voysey, I already knew the outcome of the story. However, as I turned the page I remained ever-hopeful that there would be a ‘happy ending’, a twist in the story... My faith increased as I read, ever hopeful that the story would result in something positive.
And it did.
Ok so it wasn’t positive in the way that I had hoped for Sheridan and Merryn. But as a reader, an onlooker, I was able to come away with a positive.
Resurrection Year is achingly tran
Neile
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love reading memoirs, especially spiritual memoirs, so I was very glad to come across Resurrection Year. This book is an authentic and moving account of the author and his wife's faith journeys through the "wilderness" of infertility. Although I enjoyed the book, I found myself struggling to finish it, because it dragged in parts. Also, I didn't like how the author jumped around in the time sequence, because I thought it made it hard to follow. Another reviewer used the word "disjointed" and I ...more
David
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Resurrection Year, what a wonderful book. It's very well written, and very easy to read, one of those books that are difficult to put down. It's written straight from the heart of 2 people desperately trying to achieve their dream, a dream that has been laid on the altar, a dream that's now been replaced with a new vision and vigour for what God will do. Sheridan and Merryn welcome you into their lives through each chapter, making you feel as if you are there with them right by their side, and w ...more
Amy Young
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
What do you do when your dream cannot come true? After 10 years of infertility -- including attempted adoption and IVF, Sheridan and his wife Merryn had to face this question. I am grateful for the ways this book will enhance larger conversations. I'm all for the story where it works out in the end (because God is in those too), but if those are the only stories we tell, we are not telling the whole truth. Near the end, Sheridan has a spectacular section on being in the wilderness. It alone was ...more
Michelle
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love reading about people's journeys and this is a heartbreaking journey with a lot of pain along the way. Infertility is a very difficult path to travel and not a subject that MEN readily talk about, so I really appreciated Sheridan being so vulnerable and sharing Merryn and his struggles. The honesty of wrestling with God on the Mountain and searching for answers, something I really identified with and found thought provoking. I think this book will be greatly used by God.
Irene
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A must-read for anyone who has lived with infertility or any other kind of major disappointment/loss. Voysey does a lovely job speaking authentically about the pain of unfulfilled longings and broken dreams, along with the very real gift of God's grace through pain and the way that suffering can stimulate growth. It's a book that doesn't have a happy ending in the fairy-tale sense, but a very happy ending in the real-life learning-to-live-well-no-matter-what-life-brings sense.
Lisa
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
the transparency with which the Voysey's share their pilgrimage of faith is at once tragic and poignant. One cannot help but to hope for and with them, grieve their loss and rejoice in their faith. Resurrection Year left me wanting more. To share a cup of coffee and hear more of what God is doing in and through them. Well done!
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although this book specifically deals with the grieving process following infertility, the lessons and struggle are applicable to any person mourning the death of a dream. In a very courageous and personal way, the author and his wife wrestle with their faith and question God over the details of His plan, fairness, free will, evil, and other thorny problems that are too easily brushed aside.
Brenda
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: grief, faith-memoir
Voysey is apparently well-known in Australia as the host of a Christian radio talk show. After he and his wife struggled for ten years to have a child, they decided to leave everything behind and move to England for a new adventure. I empathized with their grief and frustration, and was encouraged by the hope they've found in the midst of disappointment.
Nikki
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the written form of contemplation and discussion of who God is in the midst of struggle. Those who seek will find. While I do not struggle with childlessness, there was plenty to be gleaned from this story that can relate to any wilderness journey that spans many agonizing years. It has helped me to settle a bit more into acceptance of some things.
Jeannie
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Many women have written books like this, but it's rare to read about infertility and family heartbreak from a husband's perspective. I loved the way they both asked questions of their faith, and came away stronger than ever.
Titus Crabb
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading the first chapter of this book was like reading a retelling of the journey my wife and I took over the
last ten years. A big thanks to Sheridan Voysey for sharing your journey and your soul with us.
Michelle Haseltine
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, memior, adult
This is one of those books that makes you think...I'm thinking! My favorite thing about this book is the authenticity of the author. He writes about painful experiences in a real way and ends the book without wrapping everything up in a neat bow. I respect that. That helped me! :)
Leanne Rivett
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Thank you so much for writing an honest account without any false hope or promises.

A painfully honest insight on how to live in faith when God does not answer your prayers.

A must read for anyone whether you are a Christian or not.
Monica
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timely

This book spoke to me when no one else could. People dream and pray for the happy ending, but sometimes the happy ending needs t ok be redefined. Thank you for writing this and sharing. Your courage is inspiring.
Claudia Gonzales
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational

I kept waiting for the miracle but alas life isn't like that. However, encouraging and up lifting. We don't always get what we want but we do get what we need. Praise God

• The Jesus Inquest: The Case For and Against the Resurrection of the Christ
  • The Sower: Redefining the Ministry of Raising Kingdom Resources
  • They Like Jesus but Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
  • The Spiritual Danger of Doing Good
  • The Furious Longing of God
  • Cycling: HIIT Bike Training! Interval Training To Get Faster, Stronger, Fitter & Lose Weight (Cycling, Cycling Books, Running, Fitness, Bodybuilding, Weight ... HIIT, HIIT Training, Interval Training)
  • When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself
  • Dad Jokes: Top 9 Categories of Hilarious Dad Jokes, Puns and Riddles
  • Going The Distance How To Stay Fit For A Lifetime Of Ministry
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Plan for the World
Sheridan Voysey is a writer, speaker and broadcaster on faith and spirituality. He is the author of seven books, including The Making of Us: Who We Can Become When Life Doesn't Go as Planned (March 2019), Resurrection Year: Turning Broken Dreams into New Beginnings, Resilient: Your Invitation to a Jesus-Shaped Life, and the award-winning Unseen Footprints: Encountering the Divine Along the Journey ...more