Start by marking “Schimbarea. O nuvela autobiografica” as Want to Read:
Schimbarea. O nuvela autobiografica

Schimbarea. O nuvela autobiografica

PREMIUL NOBEL PENTRU LITERATURĂ 2012
O carte autobiografică şi un portret insolit al Chinei contemporane
Evenimentele majore din istoria recentă, precum revoluţia culturală, revolta studenţească sau războiul cu Vietnamul se disting pe fondul istorioarelor viu colorate şi pline de haz din Gaomi, provincia natală a lui Mo Yan.
Pe parcursul întâmplărilor, aflăm cum dintr-un elev
Published 2012 by Trei (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Schimbarea. O nuvela autobiografica, please sign up.
Thu Nguyễn It's her will to invite the Organizers something. And Mo treated her fairly, as he mentioned before, she's a sage!…moreIt's her will to invite the Organizers something. And Mo treated her fairly, as he mentioned before, she's a sage! (less)

Start your review of Schimbarea. O nuvela autobiografica
Owlseyes
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chin-lit

(Mo Yan tells his dream in "his own calligraphy"*)

How come a 5th grader Chinese man becomes a PhD? A writer with an “encyclopedic knowledge”, yet who never made it through middle school?

He’s Mo Yan, aka Guan Moye, born in 1955 and Nobel prize of literature in 2012.

He’s been called “a Chinese Kafka”. One of his translators, H. Goldblatt (translated at least 5 of Mo’s works), said his second novel “blew him away"; that Mo is “phenomenal”. Anyway, for this little book (Change) I find it mild,
Santo
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china-studies
"Change" is the second Mo Yan book I’ve ever read, the first being a collection of short stories titled "Shifu: You'll Do Anything for a Laugh". I have, however, seen two Zhang Yimou movies based on his stories: "Red Sorghum", and "Happy Times". Therefore, having read "Change" in one sitting, and enjoying it from cover to cover, I got the feeling that I should probably read more books by this Nobel Laureate (in Literature).

The version of “Change” that I bought in Singapore's Kinokuniya (as my
Alex Kudera
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I ever find time, I'll have to read one of his longer novels to get a sense of his Nobel Prize winning writing. This one is okay and includes an aside about how Gong Li looked like any other plain girl without her makeup on. Does that make Mo Yan a meanie or is a star of Gong Li's stature fair game?
Nikola Jankovic
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian
Short novel - autobiography, which can be read in few hours. Despite author won Nobel Prize in 2012, I could not see why. I understand sentences are simple by purpose, but sometimes I got a feeling this was overdone. Not sure if it was a problem in a translation or style itself.

Novel focuses on simple events, trying to describe changes in China in last 40 years. It succeeds in a way.
Ana Moraes
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. Adorei!!
Sofia
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admirable writing skills! A book with descriptions which made me laugh out loud a few times. In a simple way puts the reader in the Chinese everyday life of that time.
Haris Orfanidis
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! It is one of the books that once you start you cannot stop reading it. Mo Yan is describing the status in China between 1979 to 2010. He is capturing the social stratification of the Communist regime through personal experiences and characters which are built progressively. The whole writing is so simple which is making the book describing only essential facts, according to the author, and give really nice feeling to the reader.

The last chapters are finishing the novel with the
Cindee
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a novella and is one of seven books from the series 'What Was Communism?' which is why even though it reads as Mo's memoir of his childhood, it also has a nice seeping flavour of the political history of China in the 1970s.

Mo lived in the Shandong Province during the Cultural Revolution and its aftermath. He draws from his random memories of his childhood when he attended grade school before being expelled.

His words are incredibly subtle, at times hilarious as he recalls memories of
Ana
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply bewitching. I had absolutely no expectations from this book, I know nothing about China and the translation I read was made from Chinese to English and then from English to Serbian. It was only natural that I had doubts.

I read about Mo Yan and some of the reviews and from what I saw, he was a writer I could be interested in. This was the first book I could come by; I wasn't exactly happy about it, it seemed to me that he had better book out there. I was afraid that a bad translation, a
elkalsa
Interesting how destiny works.

The communist effects(?) isn't clearly shown, but at some parts it's shown (dengan menggelitiknya) :) since the title in Indonesian language is a bit provocative, "Under The Red Flag", I thought it might show more critic or the effect of the "red flag".

The beginning of the books stretched so much, I almost put this down..
Book
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, faction
Mo Yan is a Chinese writer who back in 2012 received the Nobel Prize for Literature, and although this award is not given for a particular work of literature, but for the entire oeuvre of a particular author, can rightly be concluded that his work 'Change' also greatly influenced the jury's decision.

Mo Yan is man of unusual biography, and his biography is the subject of this book, which although not very substantial in scale, is a rich source of information not only about the author's life, but
Paula Rodrigues
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read and very soon, Mo Yan wrote a biographical narrative , but not chronological . Together with the most important facts of his life (his integration to the Chinese Army , his learning how to drive a war truck and the beginning of his writing carrer) a political- economic landscape of China is built. So I think his lines show to be an important tool for understanding the period.

The stories are played in several places in China, as the main character travels extensively. As long as the
Darryl
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mo Yan (1955-) is an accomplished and prolific novelist, who was described as "one of the most famous, oft-banned and widely pirated of all Chinese writers" in a recent TIME Magazine article. "Change" was written as part of the series "What Was Communism?", edited by Tariq Ali and published by Seagull Books, which explores the practice, successes and failures of 20th century communism.

"Change" is a memoir that reads like a novella, which describes Mo Yan's experiences as a child in Shangdong
Saharsha
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mo Yan narrates a selection of events that took place throughout his lifetime to paint a picture of life for the average Chinese person after the death of Mao Zedong (though a section of the book is also dedicated his time in elementary school, an important foundation for events that take place later on). Mo shows us that any conception of the people of China being amoral, apathetic or benign as a consequence of Communist rule is misguided. It is clear that at that point in time, they shared ...more
Tom
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange book--strange in that "Change," as the fifth book in Seagull Books' "What Was Communism" series, mentions dates from Mo's life--when he joined the Red Army, when he visited Beijing, and other seemingly mundane and ordinary events--but with no explicit mention of what was happening throughout mainland China during these times--life events without any broader context. But Mo, I suspect, is working with more subtlety: When in Beijing, just two years after Mao's death, Mo notes that it was ...more
Ashutosh Kumar
Mo writes in Chinese and confesses his weakness in English. Only I would learn, he writes. He got noble in 2012 for his contribution in literature. He had schooling up to fifth standard before he served in army. Later he went on to continue his college and kept busy in writing. You don't have to be too much learned to write, says Mo. Howard Goldblatt has translated his books in English.

"Change" is a memoir; here Mo takes you to China he has lived in. Changes that have taken place are presented
Katie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be more "about communism" whatever that means. Instead it was more about Mo Yan's life and at times, I lost track of the fact that it is actually about his life and felt like I was just reading one of his narrators. That is because the absurdity and comedy of some of the events as well as the setting and other characters aren't so different from what you'd find in his novels.

I've read a lot about China during this era, so at times, I felt like some of the points were rather
Moushumi Ghosh
A slim volume beautifully designed by Seagull Books, Change is Mo Yan's free-wheeling memoir of his youth and later days. I loved the school part of it. It reminded me of the school-going portions of the lead protagonist in Haruki Murkami's "Norwegian Wood". However, Yan's narrative seems to an aspirational one. The portrait of the countryside just after Mao Tse-Tung's death is memorable because it appears to be apolitical while deeply being affected by the politics. The incidents are neither ...more
Masha
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked most about this book is the simplicity of the writer's style, in which he describes his childhood adventures, classmates, teachers, and later in life colleagues within the social, political, and cultural backround of the rural China. We follow not only the writer's destiny, but also the destiny of two other characters, i.e. his two classmates, and even one truck! That is GAZ-51, manufactured in the Soviet Union, owned and driven by his deskmate Lu Wenli's father. It is treated as a ...more
Ruth Mullen
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slender novella, presented as the author's memoir. Beautifully written and at times very funny. The reader has to be well-versed in Chinese history to understand the context for the small, detailed snapshots and local episodes described here. Mo Yan is currently being severely criticized for exactly this, by Perry Link and others; the debate is interesting, of course, and it's getting pretty heated, so now I'm at risk of being called a reactionary but what the hell, I enjoyed the book.
Gustavo Barbosa Ferreira
This is an interesting account that deals with the changes experienced by chinese peolpe during the troubled times following Chinese revolution and Mao's government. It is not quite a novel, nor quite an autobiographic narrative, falling somewhere between these two genres. Mo Yan's style is simple and agile, and even though in this book the themes are approached with a certain superficiality, it is still a nice read.
Ariadna73
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read the first page I went "oh, no, another war book!" I am allergic to war books, but yet they manage to land on my lap one way or the other. In this case, however, the book is more about how Japan changed so much from the time the author was just a child to the time he was a grown up and successful writer. I liked the tone and the style, and the fact that it is a really super-short book that I could read from cover to cover in a single sitting.
Mark
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chinese, biography
Really enjoyable read about living in China from the 1960s to the modern era. Unlike other books about this timeframe, this is a pleasant read, but Mo Yan still manages to delivery some touching aspects of human interactions during this time. This autobiographical story traces his life, along with a couple of his school mates, through the ups and downs of this era.
Gabrielle
"There is no there there" is how I felt when reading the book. If you have some background information on Communism in China coming into the reading of the story, especially how drastically it changed through the time period of the book, the "change" is evident through the characters presented in the book.
Víctor
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Changes. How much can things change in time? This novel is the most personal tale of Mo Yan: his own life. Many of us have never heard of him until he won the Nobel Prize. With this book, the reader is transported to many of the key moments of his life. A sincere confession of how everything has been changing in his and his friends' life since childhood.
Liothe
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010s, 21st-century, 2010
Short, sweet and quietly intense. This novel says a lot and claims even more with what it doesn't say. The autobiography och Mo Yan in the narrative of a few persons from his childhood (or perhaps the inverse: the biography of those persons in the narrative of Mo Yan). A quick read, so why not read it?
Lark Benobi
Mo Yan's cordial relationship with the Chinese government made his Nobel win a controversial one but it's not clear to me why books should be judged by their author's politics. I took the book on its own terms, without trying to discern the nature of the author's views, and found the book to be full of humility and humor and sadness, well worth reading.
Payel
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"there is a heroic side to the behaviour of a thug, and a thuggish side to the behaviour of a hero" - swinging like a pendulum betwixt foregone days, present and what is to come is a descent illustration of change, adaptation under perilous circumstances, state of mind, ah! the very essence I had to keep on fighting, I was born to fight.
Max
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-lit
It was a short and relatively easy-to-read book. I guess the narrative, which spans several decades, shows us how China has changed. But as I'm not familiar with China's development and political changes, some of the messages that the writer wanted to put across were lost on me.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Işığın Yolu
  • Tough Guys Don't Dance
  • The Alley Man
  • Vintage Stuff
  • The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)
  • Yenişehir'de Bir Öğle Vakti
  • Gergedan: Büyük Küfür Kitabı
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • Jamilia
Modern Chinese author, in the western world most known for his novel Red Sorghum (which was turned into a movie by the same title). Often described as the Chinese Franz Kafka or Joseph Heller.

Mo Yan (莫言) is a pen name and means don't speak. His real name is Guan Moye (simplified Chinese: 管谟业; traditional Chinese: 管謨業; pinyin: Guǎn Móyè).

He has been awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 for
“Mientras contemplaba al presidente tendido en el sarcófago de cristal, recordé la sensación de cataclismo que había tenido dos años antes al oír la noticia de su fallecimiento; el desengaño al descubrir que en el mundo no había dioses. Ni en sueños habríamos creído que el presidente Mao moriría un día, pero murió. Creíamos que si se moría el presidente Mao, sería el fin de China. Pero llevaba dos años muerto, y el país no sólo no había llegado a su fin, sino que iba mejorando paulatinamente [...]” 1 likes
“-Pero, cómo pudo Lu Wenli irse con el profesor Liu? -pregunté-. ¡Es inconcebible!
-Acaso era concebible meterle la pelota en la boca de un requetazo? -replicó He Zhiwu.
Indudablemente, eso formaba parte de las cosas inconcebibles, lo que demuestra que los asuntos de este mundo sufren infinitos cambios y evoluciones, que la suerte reúne a las parejas predestinadas a través de las más extrañas e imprevisibles coincidencias. No hay nada imposible.”
1 likes