Start by marking “Universal Human Rights in Theory and Practice: Thied Edition” as Want to Read:
Universal Human Rights in Theory and Practice: Thied Edition

Universal Human Rights in Theory and Practice: Thied Edition

In the third edition of his classic work, revised extensively and updated to include recent developments on the international scene, Jack Donnelly explains and defends a richly interdisciplinary account of human rights as universal rights. He shows that any conception of human rights-and the idea of human rights itself-is historically specific and contingent. Since publica ...more
Published April 15th 2013 by Cornell University Press (first published January 1st 1989)

Ed
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: human-rights
The four stars in this review are more for the organization and clarity of Donnelly's ideas and to a lesser extent for the ideas themselves. It works well as an introduction to the validity of human rights, the vocabulary of practitioners and some of the founding documents, particularly, in this case, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights adopted by the United Nations in 1948. The Holocaust, plus the forced relocation of millions and the destruction of the most basic necessities to maintain ...more
Stefanie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brought up great issues with human rights: humanitarian intervention, concepts of democracy with human rights, "Asian Values," torture, genocide. But I didn't feel it provided a good argument. Anything that did not fit with the "international standard" was simply thrown out the window with no excuse. It didn't make sense to me, particularly when Lee Kuan Yew described Asian Values as the counter-argument against an international standard for human rights. I got the impression the book pretends o ...more
Utpal Banerjee
I want to read this books.....
Muhammad Murad
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must-read for all those who are interested in Human Rights. ,
Jen
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow,
so far I am SUPER impressed by Donnelly's ability to use circular logic and get stuck in the rut of "modern/traditional" "us/them" binary thinking. I am trying to resolve the fact that I agree with many of his conclusions, but find the logic that Donnelly is taking to those conclusions to be, for lack of a more coherent way to articulate it, kind of fucked up. At least I'm learning a lot as I read.
Puri Kencana Putri
A wonderful book for beginner to understand about the idea of human rights, the development of the element of rights after the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948, and the debate inside of the discourse. A solid content, and I'm sure once you start, you gonna like it.
Clare
Very informative, if a little dry at times. Donnelly has updated the book quite a bit since the original publication, so make sure you have this recent edition!!!

Read for English 593: Human Rights Literature and Law
Meesh
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
I'm not an avid reader of law or human rights. The reason I picked up this book was for a college research paper. Although it was a very slow read, it proved to be more than useful and I got all the information I needed.
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Grad school required reading and a book that never left my side. Best thing about the book? It's human rights IN THEORY *and* PRACTICE. In a policy-oriented program, that was of upmost importance to me.
Mike Fraser
Really tough to get through. Not an easy read. I think I have more notes in the margins and underlines than there are words in the book.
Md Zahid
i am thinking to know about the of human rights law
sarah
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Donnelly was one of my grad school professors. Good, solid book on human rights.
Jenn
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to buy this book for class and really enjoyed it.
Phil Rooney
rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2009
Clinton Davis
rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2015
Jan 12, 2014
Montse
Apr 22, 2012
  • World Poverty and Human Rights
  • A World Made New: Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
  • Activists Beyond Borders: Advocacy Networks in International Politics
  • Sex at the Margins: Migration, Labour Markets and the Rescue Industry
  • Inventing Human Rights: A History
  • Brewing Justice: Fair Trade Coffee, Sustainability, and Survival
  • Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry
  • Freedom's Battle: The Origins of Humanitarian Intervention
  • Why Nations Go to War
  • The Rich Get Richer and the Poor Get Prison: Ideology, Class, and Criminal Justice
  • Human Rights: A Very Short Introduction