Start by marking “Big Smelly Bear” as Want to Read:
Big Smelly Bear

Big Smelly Bear

Kids will love this lighthearted and fun tale about keeping clean, featuring an adorable character that bath-resistant little ones will really relate to. It’s never bath time for Big Smelly Bear: he doesn’t brush, he doesn’t wash, and he’s simply unBEARable. No one can stand to come close! Then, one day, he wakes up with a most awful, unreachable itch. He could really use ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Boxer Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Big Smelly Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Smelly Bear

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
First of all, the illustrations were very cute! My favorite is the 2-page spread with Big Fluffy Bear up the tree and Big Smelly Bear heading off to the pond; the look on his face is priceless! The book is large and the story is simple, which makes it great for story time and for beginning readers to read on their own. The story is simple too--Big Smelly Bear doesn't care how bad he smells, until he gets the right motivation to improve himself! Very cute, though I found the ending a bit abrupt. ...more
Mari
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
What makes this a winner for preschool storytime?

- The book is BIG. Such a good thing for sharing with a large group.

- The descriptions of how stinky, smelly, and dirty the bear is. Guaranteed to make prechool kiddos smile. Possibly even giggle.

- The shouting match between the bears. Audience participation!
Katy Vance
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love being home with the niblings. I get to read all sorts of weird stuff. This is a cute one, with Eric Carle style illustrations. There’s an underlying heteronormative strict gender role relationship thing with the dirty boy and the clean fluffy girl thing that is either mildly unsettling or pleasing depending on your perspective. But other than that, it’s a funny little story about a stinky bear.
Haley Weepie
This is a cute picture book. This book is about a smelly bear who does not like being clean. One day he wakes up with a bad itch. His friend will not itch him because he smells so bad. This is a great book to read early elementary students.
Anna Marie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
They don't go into why he's so smelly, a subtle message about the importance of bathing? He ends up with an itch on his back that he can't get to and another bear offers to scratch it for him. But only after he takes a bath.
Milton Moon Louie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can you smell the smelly bear? B
Syntha Green
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Great choice for a storytime about baths
Makkena
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent picture book for young children!
Kris Daise
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE Big Smelly Bear, but I am not sure the boys got the message ...
Caitlyn Carey
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It also secretly showed students why it’s important to take baths. My students love to follow along in the parents that get repetitive.
Kara Campfield
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-books
Big Smelly Bear goes through a day in a bears life who hasn't showered. It is a fun way to show hygiene and a fun way of talking about it through bears.
1. Bears
2. Hygiene
3. Friendship
Jenn
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cute love story.
Carly Gordon
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Summary:
This book is about a bear named Big Smelly Bear. He hates taking baths, so he refuses to take any. The other animals in the forest can't stand the smell of him so they stay away from him. One day, he has a scratch on his back that he just cant seem to get. He meets another bear who convinces him to take a bath so she will scratch his back.

Evaluation:
I thought this was a cute book. It provides dialog in the text, which can lead into a great lesson. Students will love the pictures and te
Ann Gillaspie
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my preschoolers and they absolutely love this book. The story of Big Smelly Bear refusing to take a bath is one that rings familiar to little ones. The argument between Big Smelly Bear and Big Fluffy Bear never fails to get the children involved in the story telling. Of course, the ending always makes them laugh as Big Smelly Bear finally caves in and takes a bath while vowing never to take a bath again. The illustrations in this book are fun and engaging.
Jessie Bear
The title character of this book refuses to bathe, until one day his back itches so much that he bathes as a compromise to get Big Fluffy Bear to scratch his back. Big Smelly Bear is a tale with a moral, emphasizing the importance of personal hygiene. Kids can relate to bath time avoidance, but still feel sorry for Big Smelly Bear when no one but flies will go near him. The prose is simple as well as direct, using just the right vocabulary level and word count to relate its tale to its intended ...more
Linda Branich
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book has amazing, eye-catching illustrations! It is an excellent book to use with children whose hygiene is less than ideal. They will learn the consequences of not bathing and bathing, without having to harp on them. I think the book would open a good avenue for conversation and discussion about hygiene.

Big Smelly Bear has never washed or brushed. The only creatures that came close to him were flies. He was friendless.

One day when Smelly Bear woke up he had a terrible itch on his back and
Youth Services
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3-5 year olds
Shelves: picturebooks, animals
The book is quite large and has bright colorful illustrations. Big Smelly Big is big and smelly because not only did he never wash; he never brushed or bathed either! He was followed by a stink and by a nice cloud of flies. The flies were the only thing that dared to come near him. Once they got a whiff of him all the other animals in the forest turned and ran. One morning bear woke up with a terrible itch and no matter which way he moved and wiggled he couldn’t scratch it! Suddenly from above h ...more
Ina
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
My story time audience loved big smelly bear - who is cute - once you get past the cloud of flies that surround him because he never washes or brushes. Perhaps the kids could identify with him not wanting to get cleaned up…or perhaps it was just the humorous illustrations but my audience giggled as we moved through the story. Bear eventually meets a girl bear and after a bit of arguing, agrees to clean up his act, and there is a happy ending. This is a board book, so it wouldn't work for a large ...more
Katie
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
This is a story about the Bug Smelly Bear who hates to bath. It will make a great read aloud for home. I probably won't read it at story time due to the Big Fluffy Bear yelling "(You need a bath) BECAUSE YOU STINK!" :p

This probably says something about me, but I'm pretty sure this is a story about (view spoiler) ... Maybe it's just me...
Karly
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I had this book in a "to-get-rid-of" pile when my seven year old daughter discovered it. I hadn't even known we owned it. When I came across it, I read it and thought, "That is the stupidest book I've ever read."

However, after my young daughter read it several times, laughed, and even shared it with Daddy, I have to admit to the wide chasm between childhood and adulthood with a grin and put it back on the shelf.
Jess Brown
How can you not love a book with Big Smelly Bear as the main character? This book is great for encouraging little ones who aren't that into the idea of bathing get themselves cleaned up. The illustrations are big and appealing, making it great for a lap or storytime book. Eventually, Big Smelly Bear learns of the usefulness of a bath--he's not itchy OR smelly any longer! Perfect for preschoolers, but maybe a toddler could handle it, too.
Molly
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Picture Book, Ages 3+, Bears
Shelves: picture-book
I love this one cause the Big Smelly Bear does not think he needs a bath and he is so stubborn. I like that they have many many flies all around him and he is absolutely clueless why. And Big Fluffy bear is so nice to him, I am glad that she encourages him to take a bath in the end. Even though I think it is cute that he is a big smelly bear.
The book is big with bright, colorful pictures - the perfect format for a group read aloud! The story is fun and engaging and kids will relate to the idea of not wanting to take a bath (or wishing someone around you who is smelly would take a bath). Also, the story lends itself to discussing a bit about friendship and what we do for our friends and the healthy ways our friends can inspire us.
Lana Clifton
The character in this book is one big, smelly bear who refuses to bathe. One day, he meets another bear that sparks his interest, but his smell is just unbearable. Stinky bear is just itching and scratching for attention, but this fluffy bear demands he come clean. Very cute for children who refuse bathing rights at bedtime.
Felicia Tidwell taylor
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Smelly Bear is unbearable t be around. He does not like to take bathes. But one day he wakes up with a really bad itch and needs a friend to help. But no one would near him.....Will he take a bath to get rid of that itch? Activity could be talk about hygiene's and being a friend in a difficult situation. Role Play in house keeping.
Amber
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every time I read this book, or hear Mike read it I laugh. Such a clever kids book about a bear who is so smelly and dirty he gets an itch that won't go away until he meets Fluffy bear who offers to scratch his back for him if he'll take a bath first...
Dolly
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2010, childrens
This is a cute children's book that emphasizes the importance of bathing, but is also about friendship as well. This is one of the first picture books that our girls first read together, without me. It's a very good book for beginning readers.
Meg McGregor
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Little ones will love this tale of a smelly bear, who even though he wants friends, refuses to bathe and make himself less smelly.

But when he meets Big Fluffy Bear, and really likes her, will he change his mind about taking a bath?

Fun for little ones to read over and over again.
Shala Abbott
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Can't you see the mischevious in him just by the cover. This book was so cute. I can't express how much I believe that every child must have the opportunity to read the Big Smelly Bear.
Adrienne Pettinelli
Aug 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book make me laugh out loud page after page. The illustrations do their job to support this story of a bear who refuses to take a bath until another bear he's kind of crushing on insists that he has to. Funny, with a slanty, perfect ending.
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • The Lamb Who Came for Dinner
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Big Red Tub
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • Felicity Floo Visits the Zoo
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
Britta Teckentrup was born in Germany and moved to England in 1988. She is the author and illustrator of many books for children. She now lives in Berlin with her husband and young son.