Start by marking “The Agatha Christie Book Club” as Want to Read:
The Agatha Christie Book Club

The Agatha Christie Book Club (Agatha Christie Book Club #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
When Alicia Finlay walks out on her boring old book club and starts a new one devoted to her favorite mystery writer Agatha Christie she has no idea she's about to stumble upon a deadly mystery of her own. It's a mystery so baffling, it would leave even the Queen of Crime scratching her head...

Bored with her old book club, Alicia Finlay decides to start a new one—dedicate
ebook
Published May 12th 2012 by Larmer Media (first published May 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Agatha Christie Book Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Agatha Christie Book Club

Brenda
Alicia Finlay was over the staid, rules orientated book club she belonged to; her decision to walk out left her feeling quite accomplished. Her next decision with the help of her sister Lynette was to create her own book club – The Agatha Christie Book Club – and she was quite excited about it. After all, bringing a group of like-minded crime buffs together could only be good.

Once her vetting of letters was done, Alicia had eight members (including herself and her sister) and was looking forwar
Lela
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, light, predictable book. Probably not for people who are not AC fans - do they exist? Lots of references to Christie books and some slightly strange characters. The food references made me salivate, but, alas, no recipes.
Pearl Barley
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rather partial to the cozy whodunnit and I've been a lifelong Agatha Christie fan. This tale, while not written by the great Dame herself, lends itself to her methodology of crime-solving and thus makes for a very interesting read with twists and turns that led to the truth in a roundabout way. It is also most unusual that it is set in Australia which I found quite novel.

Alicia forms the Agatha Christie Book Club with the intention of getting like-minded folk together to discuss Christie's
Sheri
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun book to read. I'm an Agatha Christie fan myself and wish there was a book club near me dedicated to her books! I loved the setting of Australia, the cast of characters were fun and diverse and the sisters reminds me of my sister and I when we were younger. I liked the touch of anticipatory romance - I look forward to see how it develops.

The ending was intriguing. I could feel the betrayal and disappointment of the book club.

I've already downloaded book 2! I definitely recomme
Kat Lebo
The Agatha Christie Book Club
By C.A. Larmer

I was drawn to the book by the title. I first cut my mystery teeth on Agatha Christie’s fine cozies, although I haven’t read her in years. It did take me a little bit of time to sink into that cozy mystery mindset, but once I did this book read pretty smoothly, considering the differences in terminology and spelling between American English and Australian English.

I’ve read this author before, so knew she was an Australian. The story takes place in Aus
Valerie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not impressed with the book club. For avid fans of Agatha Christie I felt as though none of them learned anything about sleuthing techniques. I had practically figured out the mystery by the time I read 2/3 of the book.
Pete F
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I quite enjoyed this book but I found it a bit predictable, so for that reason only gave it two stars. Being an Agatha Christie fan the title of this book attracted me, so I downloaded it to my Kindle.

I felt a little disappointed at the anti-climax of Alicia's meeting with the missing lady she had been looking for. I could see what was happening long before the amateur detectives of the Agatha Christie Book Club. For someone who is an avowed Agatha fan, and who should have known something of the
Kerry Tolson
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime, cosy-crime
I was drawn to this book by its cover (which is different from the one pictured here) at the Byron Bay Writers Festival (2015) which was promoting self-published writers for the first time. At the time I didn't buy it as I'm not a reader of crime, but when I came across the book at another writers event, I couldn't resist and I'm so glad I didn't.

What a fabulous and delightful read! I believe the genre is called 'cosy crime' and cosy it certainly is.

From the moment I read the first line, I was
Lucile
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie Lovers
Shelves: 2017
This is what I would consider a light summer read. You won't need a dictionary or a notepad when reading this mystery. Although several Agatha mysteries figure into this book you lose anything if you haven't read them--but you may want to put them in your "to read" pile.

Alicia is disenchanted with her current book club and drops out to form a new book club set up to read and discuss all the Christie books. But the new group has a mystery of their own to solve when a member of their group disapp
Mary  (Biblophile)
While this book had some flaws, I enjoyed the many Agatha Christie references throughout this fluffy cozy mystery. Although anyone familiar with Agatha's books and bio can follow the clues, it was fun to try and solve the mystery. The motley cast of characters were entertaining and I look forward to more in this series.
ashley
Jun 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, did-not-like
Very slow read. I didn't enjoy it, I thought with my love for Agatha Christie it was a natural choice, but it was pretty awful. The characters were poorly done. The plot was boring, I wanted to skip chunks of the book just to get it over with.
Demelza
Quite a fun read. As a great fan of Agatha Christie, I enjoyed the way the 'sleuths' put on their Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple hats and set out to solve the mystery. Just my cup of tea. I shall definitely read the next book in the series. The only niggle I have is the number of typos which should have been spotted during proof reading and put right.
Eirlys
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Fun

I enjoyed reading this because it was lighthearted with good characters. Agatha Christie books are referenced as clues for real life drama that be sets the reading group.
Janet
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Just a fun summer read that makes me want to go back and reread all my Agatha Christie books.
Natalie Bachiri
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The name intrigued me and it didn't let me down. It is a very unique way of bringing murder and mayhem. Loved it.
Susan
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-read
I won The Agatha Christie Book Club by C.A. Larmer through Goodreads. I love a good mystery and this did not disappoint. Exciting and easy to read. Couldn't put it down.
Karen
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, this title had been recommended to me by a friend so for that reason (and that reason only) I read it to the end of the story. It wasn't my usual "cosy crime" read and I nearly abandoned it on several occasions. I generally rate books on the pleasure they gave me and not on how well they have been written. Very rarely to I give a book one star, but I did hover over that star before committing myself to a charitable two stars.
Andrew
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibrc-2
When I was three or four years old, I discovered an old version of the board game Clue in the basement and a lifelong love of mysteries was born. Movies, books, games - I loved them all! So it came as no surprise that once I encountered the works of Agatha Christie, I was instantly smitten. Fast forward to last year when I found The Agatha Christie Book Club by C.A. Larmer online and was immediately taken by the idea of a book club completely devoted to the Queen of Crime - and solving crimes, t ...more
Karen
Written for fans of cosy styled, more light-hearted mystery stories, THE AGATHA CHRISTIE BOOK CLUB will ring many bells in any readers who are also dedicated Agatha Christie readers. Set in Sydney, the ACBC is formed by Alicia Finlay when she finally has to throw in the towel on a more formal (aka stuffy) literature based book club (personal note - if you TRIED to hold off the wine and cheese at our book club meetings you'd be laughed out the door!).

Those dedicated fans of Agatha Christie will r
Paige
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am an Agatha Christie fan, which is why this book intrigued me when I bought it months ago. I recently got around to reading it because I was in the mood for a good mystery and it seemed it would fit the bill.

The premise of this book was promising and it did start off that way as well. However, early on, it became very jumbled. Part of this was due to the multiple ‘mysteries’ introduced. Another factor was the constant changes in the points of views. This was not a seamless change, sometimes o
Christoph Fischer
This is a simply wonderful cosy mystery, for fans of crime fiction and - as you may expect - for fans of Agatha Christie novels especially. The romantic notion of her novels is set off against the trend for Scandi Noir. Larmer writes great characters, such as the heroine who auditions for the A.C.B.C.
There are lots of crime fiction references but the mystery itself is also well plotted.
Someone tells us in the beginning of the book that they joined the book club for sinister reasons. But who is t
Cheryl
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Recommended to Cheryl by: goodreads
An enjoyable cozy mystery and easy read. Having no fun at a book club she had joined Alicia is encouraged by her sister to start her own. With her sister and six other members the Agatha Christie Book Club is born. I liked the various and quite different characters. Part one caught my curiosity to find out which club member couldn't be trusted. When one of the members disappears the others become quite concerned and start their own investigation. There are lots of red herrings and a murder along ...more
Marty Hatcher
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful book that took me no time to read. How can you not like a book whose first chapter begins with the following: "Alicia Finlay was in the wrong book club. She hadn’t realised it at first. Had come along, faithfully, every month for three months, the latest Pulitzer Prize-winning novel wedged under her arm, a strained smile on her lips, and pretended to be having fun. But there was no fun to be had." Alicia has had it with her Monday Night Book Club and its ridiculous rules, so ...more
Mary
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story about Alicia, a woman who has just quit a book club with too many rules (I'd be leaving if they wouldn't let me drink) and books that people don't really read unless it's for appearances. She's a bit depressed and her sister, Lynette, suggests that she start her on book club and read the kind of books she loves - Agatha Christie books. Alicia does just that, setting in motion a plan similar to Ms. Christie's disappearance.
I enjoyed this book. I did have to look up a few wor
Tammie Smith
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun "cozy" mystery set in Australia. It was fun to read and easy to follow. Alicia decides to start a book club on Agatha Christie who, she like to read. She got a lot of people interested and picks out a few. After a couple of meeting one of the members disappears and not to long after that the husband is killed. The Book Club decides to look into the mystery.

Thank you to C.A. Larmer and Goodreads for this book.
Lexie
Prelim Review: Though sometimes rambling further abroad then I thought it should (its not just Missy that has problems reigning in her digressions) this was a genuinely intriguing book that certainly took many of the staples from Christie's fiction that it pays homage to without being ridiculous. (at least not overly so)
Cindy
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, cozy, series, 2016
This one was fun, but I think my favorite part was not about Agatha Christie, but about the Australian setting. I loved the fact that it felt so familiar, but then there were these unfamiliar words or phrases that gave it a unique flair. The mystery part was pretty slight though. I'll give the next one a try.
Rose
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of cozy mystery and of The Queen of Crime AC herself, so I just had to read this and was so glad I did. I really enjoyed the cast of characters in this book and the fact that because they all love AC, they are eager to investigate the disappearance of on of their members. I REALLY hope this is the beginning of a series and I would love to read more!
Irene Sauman
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and the second one in the series. If you are a fan of Agatha Christie and know of her life you would pick up on what is happening, but that is not a flaw, and this tale has its own twists.
Julie
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
Not as good as Agatha Christie, but it was fairly interesting especially as it turned out completely opposite of what they thought. It was interesting to learn about the mysterious days AC went missing.
  • The Rhyme's Library (Rose Arbor, #2)
  • The Death of Amelia Marsh (A Sally Nimitz Mystery, #1)
  • Savannah Martin Mysteries Boxed Set 1-3 (Savannah Martin mysteries)
  • Moonlight Mayhem
  • On the Nickel (A Cleopatra Jones Mystery)
  • The Returns (The Returns, #1)
  • Drool Baby (Lia Anderson Dog Park Mysteries, #2)
  • Gator Aide (Rachel Porter, #1)
  • Bosom Bodies (Mina's Adventures, #2)
  • Headaches Can Be Murder
  • Tangled to Death
  • Cadaver Blues: A Phuoc Goldberg Fiasco (Phuoc Goldberg Mysteries #1)
  • Six Mary Westmacott Novels: Giants' Bread / Absent in the Spring / Unfinished Portrait / The Rose and the Yew Tree / A Daughter's a Daughter / The Burden
  • Dinner at Deadman's
  • Deadly Reunion (Grace Holliday Mystery #2)
  • The Driving Lesson
  • Mango Bob (Mango Bob, #1)
  • Cold Crossover (Ernie Creekmore)
The author of eleven books, Christina Larmer was born in tropical Papua New Guinea, educated in Australia and has lived and worked around the world including New York, Los Angeles and London. An editor by trade, she now freelances and writes fiction from her home in the East Coast hinterland of Australia, which she shares with her musician husband, two sons, random koalas and countless snakes.

Writ
More about C.A. Larmer...

Agatha Christie Book Club (2 books)
  • Murder on the Orient (SS): (Agatha Christie Book Club, #2)