Start by marking “The Seven Stars” as Want to Read:
The Seven Stars

Read Excerpt

The Seven Stars

A serial killer stalks the first-century Roman Empire: his victims, followers of the man they call The Christ. In 21st century Britain, former MI6 agent turned Oxford academic, Flora Kemble is invited to help at an archaeological dig in Pompeii. She stumbles onto a secret that could shake Western civilization to its roots. What follows show she's not the only one with an i ...more
Published October 15th 2012 by Silver Quill Publishing (first published September 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Stars

Start your review of The Seven Stars
Patricia
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Please remember that it's only a novel: I made it up" and with that disclaimer in mind the author writes a wonderful book which is two related stories. The first is set in the present and revolves around the Oxford scholar, paleontologist Flora Kemble and an archeological dig at Pompeii. The site is robbed of ancient papyrus fragments, codices, and copper sheets. The second strand is set in the 1st century C.E. in Pompeii and other sites in the Mediterranean and features the Jewish historian Jo ...more
Denise Flynn
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book flora between modern day and ancient Rome by chapter and has a modern murder mystery in Pompeii with lots of murders, deceit and general religious based naughtiness in the ancient world. A bit of light relief for a summer read.
Annaliese Matheron
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like most people, I like to read a broad selection of books, I like my Gothic novellas just as much as my historical drama and crime thrillers, and I have read works by many authors.
I think that Simon Leighton-Porters, The Seven Stars is right up there with the likes of Kate Mosse, Dan Brown, and others who fuse historical context with modern day mystery thrillers.
I really enjoyed the fictional historical back drop to the story and the way that it wove its self through the present day action in
Barenakedmummy
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book jumps from modern day to the past I did enjoy it. A good twist on the Christian story and very enjoyable
Leanne Smith
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Liked the idea and plot - archaeologists looking at a serial killer in Roman times but found the writing style rather dull and predictable. But then it was cheap!
Carina
Honestly, one star is harsh but two seems overly generous... Normally I round up in these situations but I spent so much time rolling my eyes at this I can't justify the round up.

I strongly suspect this book was self-published and if so I think some editing would really help. I thought the premise - of a serial killer from around the time of Christ being discovered in modern times, with modern killings - an interesting one, but it was let down by the writing.

Our lead, Flora (who I called Fiona i
Dec 15, 2015
rachel davies
Dec 14, 2015
Jehaenah de Ramos
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2013
Alveaenerle
Apr 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• If It Bleeds
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • The Dilemma
  • Letting In Light
  • Sing to Silent Stones: Violet's War
  • Flowertown
  • Sing to Silent Stones: Frank's War
  • My Friend Leonard
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)
  • Roots: The Saga of an American Family
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • A Man
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • Desperation
  • Rose Madder
Simon grew up in Sussex. After graduating from Southampton University with a degree in economics, he spent sixteen years in the Royal Air Force and was the first RAF pilot to fly the Mirage 2000 on operations over Iraq while on exchange with the French Air Force. Leaving the Service with the rank of Squadron Leader, he worked in the City of London as a derivatives broker and in various technology ...more