Start by marking “The Richest Man in Babylon: George S. Clason's Bestselling Guide to Financial Success: Saving Money and Putting It to Work for You” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  85,496 ratings  ·  4,570 reviews
The Richest Man in Babylon is Geroge S. Clason's classic financial and motivational guide that has lead generations to personal and monetary success. Invaluable and timeless lessons of finance are relayed through legendary tales set in ancient Babylon. Learn how to acquire money, keep it, and put it to work to make more money for you. It's one of the bestselling financial ...more
Published October 21st 2012 by Megalodon Entertainment LLC. (first published 1926)

·  85,496 ratings  ·  4,570 reviews

Start your review of The Richest Man in Babylon: George S. Clason's Bestselling Guide to Financial Success: Saving Money and Putting It to Work for You
William Beesley
Books like Richest Man in Babylon, Rich Dad Poor Dad, the Millionaire next door will never go away unfortunately. There is too much money to be made in writing them. Richest Man in Babylon combines a simple premise with a mysterious title to drag the reader through 150 pages of drudgery that could be summed up in a couple of sentences:

1. Save 10% of everything you make.
2. Be smart not dumb
3. Invest the money you save.

Despite George Clason's (the author) best, somewhat self serving, intentions
Jake
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Redundant? Yes. Simplistic? Yes. Necessary? Absolutely. Reading the book changes one's perspective on personal finances.
Madeline Friedman
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Nobody gets rich without working and we know that we should work hard. But what does hard work mean? This book answers it well. I bought this bestseller @50% off here: https://www.amazon.com/Richest-Man-Ba...
Lola
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an unusual but engaging multi-layered tale about finance, business and human accomplishments that, I admit, could have been less simplistic but that was smart enough to make me think about my own financial situation and offered advice worth considering.
Tamsyn
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finances, own
This book was absolutely fantastic! It really opened my eyes to finances and has changed the way I view them. One of the biggest things this book teaches is that no matter what size your income is, 10% of it is yours to keep. Another is that debt is an enemy to conquer, not a necessary evil. One of the families in the story did this, and had to pay rent on top of it. We have long realized that renting and paying interest on a mortgage is about the same. Michael and I came up with a spending plan ...more
Michael Atkinson
Read it 4 years ago, LOVED it, I should read it again. Fun to read, interesting, though provoking and but mostly just plain inspiring. If you don't have problems with spending too much money no need to read it. If you have tons of money and it's not a problem no need to read it. If you live on a budget like most of it, enjoy. Deserving of its well-regarded status of one of the classics of personal finance.
Ryan Wamsat
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My brother passed me this book many years ago. His instructions were simple: Read it. It'll change your life.

I read it. Did it change my life? Yes, in a manner of speaking.
There are many of out there who desperately want to learn the basics of handling money. But, pick up the latest drudgery from your local bookstore on the subject, and you'll find yourself wading through terms and calculations that may as well be a foreign language.

The Richest Man in Babylon takes a different approach. It puts
Constantine

Rating: 3.0/5.0

Genre:
Nonfiction + Business

I picked up this one because I heard many good things about it. I might be a bit late because I feel the majority of the points and lessons discussed by this book are very familiar to me. I found it very interesting to see this book reads more like a fiction. I feel this is good for someone who wants to read and know about all the basics in finance and economics in a simple easy way. One of the main tips that the author insisted on is saving 10% of
Shannon
This is a great starting item for someone who is pressed for time and doesn't want to read a ton of financial books. While some of the ideas are archaically written, they remain timeless. An obvious one: as a person's wealth rises, so do their expenses.

Translation, if you want to have money, learn to discipline yourself now and not later. Studies show that most lottery winners are bankrupt within a few years and mostly because they lacked self discipline. Therefore, the problem is not the lack
Claudia
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Claudia by: Robin Chinchilla
Shelves: self-help
Anthony Fox
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...I made a million,today. What did you do?..."

A book review of “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George S. Clason

Have you heard about The Richest Man in Babylon, by George S. Clason first published in 1926, it’s a story that maybe you should read? When I first read this story I was just a young boy, but it still fascinates me now.

My grandfather had given a copy to me to read, and after I finished reading it, I can remember him asking me what I had learnt. I can also remember what I said in
Sonja Arlow
I have always found books on personal finance exceptionally boring and have avoided reading them because of this.

This book however takes the form of stories from Babylonian citizens each touching on an aspect of personal finance (save 10% of your earnings, don’t rent but rather own property and invest your money wisely so it may grow etc etc)

None of this is new to me however sometimes you need a reminder to jolt you out of bad financial habits.
I can highly recommend this and will be buying it
Michelle
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aronkai
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clason’s (22-42) "Seven Cures for a Lean Purse" chapter gives you a good overview of the book. The seven principles mentioned are the following:
1. Start thy purse to fattening
2. Control thy expenditures
3. Make thy gold multiply
4. Guard thy treasures from loss
5. Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment
6. Insure a future income
7. Increase thy ability to earn

Average American spends $ 1.22 for every dollar they make (Parker). For all the indebted people Clason (108) writes that you should save
Bam cooks the books ;-)
#book-vipers-book-hunter: MAN

George S. Clason published a series of pamphlets beginning in 1926 with financial advice couched in Babylonian parables, which were later combined in book form and given the title, The Richest Man in Babylon. Very basic advice and somewhat dated and repetitious, but I can't help thinking that these 'rules' he put forth should be taught in schools as good advice for beginner's handling money.

Our financial advisor gave us two copies of this slim book for our daughters
Leona  Carstairs
The edition I read was a little shorter than most. This is what my teacher had to say about the missing sections.

"This edition skips the following sections in other editions: (1) An Historical Sketch of Babylon; The Man Who Desired Gold; and The Walls of Babylon. The first conveys nothing of importance about investing. It is amateur history. The second merely sets the fictional story of the main character. The third is a disguised promotion of "whole life" life insurance policies, which I do
Patrick Peterson
25 Sept. 2019 - Finally read this little classic. It had been on my "To Read" shelf for over 30 years, but a combination of factors finally got me to read it. Very glad I did. What a great little gem. So many people over the years had referred me to this, that I am embarrassed to say it took me so long to get to. However, fortunately, I had read other books and taken other wise soul's advice that covered much of this book's wisdom previously, that I was not unduly harmed by putting it off.

Chad Warner
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Open for Business podcast
Shelves: finance, self-help
This book teaches timeless financial wisdom in the form of fictitious parables set in ancient Babylon. I found the stories entertaining and the financial lessons as valid today as they were in Babylon millennia ago.

There’s nothing groundbreaking here, but that doesn’t lessen the value of the simple financial basics: pay yourself first (at least 10%), live on less than you earn, get advice from financially competent people, and put your money to work through cautious investing.

The book recommends
Arash Narchi
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2015
Horribly written and hard to follow. Maybe would have been a good read in 1927.
Gabriela
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It teaches the values of saving, overcoming poor habits such as procrastination & being able to take advantage of opportunities

The Richest Man In Babylon by George Clason was originally written in 1926. Through the narratives of Bansir, and his broke musician friend, we can see the standard folk who try to figure out how to get out of debt, the salary slavery and to finally attain wealth. Clason also uses the narrative of the richest man in Babylon Arkad who was initially poor but later
RC1140
Apr 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh , that is the best way to describe this book. This may be due to the fact that everything that was disucssed is fairly common knowledge and most people practice these concepts or know to practice these concepts. They may not have been common at the time, but doent explain how this book has such a high rating. The concepts being wrapped in a 'theme' of sorts just made it harder to follow along at times since the style or writing is quite old. The age of this book shows it self even more by ...more
Izwan Zakaria
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
This tiny book is a classic. It is a classic because it tells you a classic story about the most important thing anybody should know about finance ie The Golden Rule of Saving.

The language is biblical yet so easy to understand. Excellent read.
Mariam
A great little book I've read umpteen times. It reads beautifully and is packed with wisdom, truth, great knowledge, and profound insights.
Parth Agrawal
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If determination is there, ways can be found"

This classic poetic map, helping us to discover and reap the treasure of finances, teaches through tales one can only imagine to be too idealistic to be true at the face of it. Cardinal rules, conjured even before the birth of Christ, will take you through the world of trade, money and gold in ever so entertaining ways beyond one's wildest imaginations.

The rules have stood the test of time as it has been documented at the end of the book that how the
Jeffrey
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
OK, I didn't even finish the book because I've heard it all before. Besides, here it's told in a story which is nice if you need to know about how to acquire money, keep it, and make your money earn more money, especially if this is your first book on the topic, find the topic boring, and need a story to entertain to get it across. This is just one of thousands of books that speaks on this material. I found it rather repetitive and corny in its story form. Other books you might be interested in ...more
Amir Tesla
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, wealth
A very sound book leaving you with a feeling that resembles having a genuine touch on the ancient wisdom.

There are several principles being suggested on the book regarding a wealthy path wrapped in story telling of wise men of that time.

Another interesting thing for me as someone who's native tongue is not english was an old form of the English that was being used long long ago.

I really enjoyed the book and would recommend to anyone who is determined to form her/his thoughts around shooting for
Begüm Saçak
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, brief book on how to manage personal finances and lead a financially stable life. The story of Babylonians and how they managed to master their financial skills make this book relevant to today's world. The recommendations are given in such a way that anyone from any financial background can apply them easily. Useful book! I wish I had read it when I was younger.
Travis
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
Written in 1926 yet still very relevant today. Provides good life lesson .
Melissa Yael Winston
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: financial
This is a short one, but it offers familiar yet indispensable tips on money management. Told in the clunky language of fables, Clason tells 10 tales of men in ancient Babylon and the secrets they (and the city itself) used to acquire great wealth in the ancient world. Some tales and tips are redundant (which also serves to show how little mankind changes over the millenia), so the following are highlights:

"Seven Cures for a Lean Purse," my favorite tale, told by Arkad, the Richest Man in
Jeff
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An older friend recommended this book to me in 2004. I finally got around to reading it. I'm glad I did. It's a quick, although sometimes quirky, read.

It helps to realize that the book was really a collection of pamphlets distributed in the 1920's by banks and insurance companies. This explains a little bit of its bias, but I think the advice is still sound.

The book is set in ancient Babylon that begins with Bansir, a chariot maker, commiserating with his broke friend (a lyre player). They can't
Whatsapp Group 2 15 12 hours, 46 min ago

• Who Moved My Cheese?
  • The Millionaire Mind
  • The Art of War
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
George Samuel Clason, also known as George S. Clason. George Samuel Clason was born in Louisiana, Missouri, and died in Napa, California.

During his eighty two years he was a soldier, businessman and writer. He served in the United States Army during the Spanish-American War.

Clason started two companies, the Clason Map Company of Denver Colorado and the Clason Publishing Company. The Clason Map
“Advice is one thing that is freely given away, but watch that you only take what is worth having.” 76 likes
“Our acts can be no wiser than our thoughts.” 46 likes